[kernel][6.0.1] leanKernel v1.8 (6/24/16)

Search This thread

zymphad

Jul 17, 2013
OnePlus 9
@zymphad No problem, I respect your decision :) Of course resources for building kernels and roms are all within our reach all thanks to XDA and our Devs. Granted it's easy as long as one takes the time to learn. Its just that I don't have a machine capable for building at the moment. :p Anyhow looking forward to and patiently waiting for OP as well as AK's future kernel updates. Keep up the good work buddy!

Kernel doesn't take much to build. I do all my work on a laptop. AK did update to DR1.6 as well a week ago.

Imoseyon

Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2010
Mountain View, CA
I'm sorry for completely being MIA guys. I had some major personal issues which prevented me from spending time on kernel development.

I'm not 100% back yet, but I did spend some time on the v1.7 update: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.7

I tried the stock kernel that came with mtc19v and I hated it. Hopefully leanKernel is better than stock haha. I haven't even tried the N-preview yet. Enjoy guys...

th3discodancer

Oct 20, 2011
For some reason i couldn't get 1.6 to work with CMTE compatible ROMs.
Booted 1.7 just fine and I am amazed at the fluidity.
Even though ondemand, performance and interactive(X) are the only governors in the kernel and i'd prefer a few more like despair or bioshock, I guess the point of this kernel as the name suggests is to be minimal. And it truly excels at what it's intended to do.
Can't comment on the battery life just yet, but this really feels like it's hit the performance and the overall snappiness of my 6P by atleast 25% or so.

Kudos to the developer!

EDIT: Sweep2wake is a hit and miss case (more miss). Not a deal breaker, but I thought I should let @Imoseyon know.
EDIT 2: My bad, I had enable the ROM's tap to wake which was breaking sweep2wake. Disabled it and sweep2wake works flawlessly.

EDIT 3: The CMTE compatibility issue is still present it seems.
I'm using DU 10.3 ROM (CMTE) and I can not get my themes tile to work. I had my CMTE tile in my quicksettings and it vanished after i installed the kernel (wouldn't even show up when i try to add it manually again). I can't install themes either. I go to settings>themes and select any theme and i got a "Themes provider has stopped".
Any help would be appreciated but I'm fairly certain that this is an incompatibility issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imoseyon

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
I'm sorry for completely being MIA guys. I had some major personal issues which prevented me from spending time on kernel development.

I'm not 100% back yet, but I did spend some time on the v1.7 update: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.7

I tried the stock kernel that came with mtc19v and I hated it. Hopefully leanKernel is better than stock haha. I haven't even tried the N-preview yet. Enjoy guys...
Glad to see you're back...

Your working in the wrong device :cool:... but we forgive you

Reactions: golfgtiedition30

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010

Life comes first. I don't know how devs keep up with this as regularly as you do. Thanks for your work

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

d0ugie

Jan 30, 2007
New York
batteryboss.org

I'm in the midst of major personal issues too, baby versus soldering iron. I hope both our issues are fully remediated and until then I hope you only revert to developing for us if it provides you some sort of outlet, a distraction from your troubles, don't do it only out of some sense of duty to oblige your fans. Good luck buddy.

Which leads me to a PSA for new dads, practice safe soldering.

omvir

Apr 28, 2011

You don't have to say sorry for anything. You do this as a hobby. We don't expect you to always be pumping out kernel builds. So, relax and focus on what's important first!

Now back on topic, 1.7 doesn't boot on CM 13.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

th3discodancer

Oct 20, 2011
Those of you on CM (or CM based ROMs) could you guys try the attached build?
Hello, there.
I tried the CM version as well (even though i didnt think it would work since DU is AOSP based with CM theme engine spoort) and this causes a bootloop.

The normal variant boots, however as stated earlier, there are some compatibility issues with CMTE. I love the how the kernel feels and it would be an absolute blast if this would be resorted whenever you get the time to :)
All the best with your life, sir. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Imoseyon

Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2010
Mountain View, CA
Hello, there.
I tried the CM version as well (even though i didnt think it would work since DU is AOSP based with CM theme engine spoort) and this causes a bootloop.

The normal variant boots, however as stated earlier, there are some compatibility issues with CMTE. I love the how the kernel feels and it would be an absolute blast if this would be resorted whenever you get the time to :)
All the best with your life, sir. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Hi can you point me to where I can download the ROM you're using? I'd like to take a look at its kernel's ramdisk to check the permissions.

nathanchance

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ

th3discodancer

Oct 20, 2011
Last edited:

zymphad

Jul 17, 2013
OnePlus 9
I've been using leanKernel with AOSiP theme engine for months now. It works fine, but AOSiP is not a CM based either, just uses CM's theme engine. I'll try to build DU later today and see if it works.

Imoseyon

Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2010
Mountain View, CA
Thanks. Just tried. Same issue :p
And just to be clear, it's not that I'm getting a bootloop, just no CM Theme Engine

Edit: Perhaps the anykernel2 integration should do the trick if you'd be so kind to implement it?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2670512

Anykernel (or anykernel2) will fix our issue for sure. I looked into anykernel2 a while back and determined that it was going to be too much work to integrate for leanKernel. What I might do is to come up with my own framework so I can support multiple ramdisk contents with a single build... Just need to find some time.

zymphad

Jul 17, 2013
OnePlus 9
Anykernel (or anykernel2) will fix our issue for sure. I looked into anykernel2 a while back and determined that it was going to be too much work to integrate for leanKernel. What I might do is to come up with my own framework so I can support multiple ramdisk contents with a single build... Just need to find some time.

That would be amazing.

zymphad

Jul 17, 2013
OnePlus 9
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    leanKernel is not for everyone.

My philosophy is to keep the kernel footprint as small as possible by trimming as much fat as possible, and at the same time keeping it stable, power efficient, and fast. leanKernel is designed to be a drop in replacement for stock kernel, and so it tries not to deviate too far from stock.

You will find that it's lacking some of the bells and whistles of other custom kernels, so if you like features you came to the wrong thread. :)

Here's a longer post on what leanKernel is about.

DOWNLOAD (flash in recovery)

PREREQUISITE
    Unlocked bootloader, custom recovery installed, rooted (if lkconfig is needed)

FEATURES
    • updated to latest 3.10 Linux
    • interactiveX - screen_off_maxfreq support (governor name was not changed from interactive)
    • compile optimized for cortex-a57/a53 and other gcc 4.9 optimizations. (toolchain: sabermod)
    • various performance/stability optimizations
    • fat trimmed by removing unnecessary components/features
    • force encryption turned off (changed to encryptable), /system verification disabled
    • lkconfig (lk) script for customizing leankernel (see below)
    • kcal color control (thanks to @savoca)
    • random generation optimization including e/frandom support, no need to tweak entropy
    • cherry-picked commits from CAF repo
    • wakelock control (wlan_rx)
    • display cpu voltages via sysfs (via compatible apps)
    • replaced deadline i/o scheduler with sioplus
    • a53/a57 overclock frequences (enable via lkconfig)
    • more to come!

lkconfig
    Open terminal app, disable "Verify PATH entries" in setting, become superuser, then type "lkconfig" (or "lk") without quotes
    Code:
    [email protected]:/ $ su
    [email protected]:/ # lk

leanKernel configurator
    ---
    0) display current settings

1) wake gesture control
    2) wakelock control
    3) rgb/picture control
    4) interactiveX control
    5) cpu overclock control

21) check top 10 wake locks (ie. wakeup sources)

please enter a number (or press enter to exit):

Push bullet channel: imoseyon

source: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler

Hey guys!!!

I apologize for completely being AWOL. :( I've been terribly busy with personal life and work.

I keep saying to myself that I'll come back when I have a decent Nougat leanKernel, but the truth of the matter is that I just haven't had time to produce anything good. I tried for a couple of days and the end result was a very unstable alpha (at least to my standards). And then I haven't had a chance to try again.

I am coming back at some point in the near future, but I think what it may end up being is a leanKernel lite, something very close to stock. See you guys soon, hopefully!
    v1.5 is up:

https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.5

I also added an option to clean up memory and hotboot OS in lkconfig. I noticed that there seems to be some sort of memory leak/bloat in marshmallow that appears to manifest after 3-4 days of continuous usage without reboot. The lkconfig option should help with that without having to cold boot the phone.
    v1.6.1 is up: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.6.1

Sorry for the delay guys. Both the standard and CM builds are on github now (above link).

EDIT: microphone issue fixed now in v1.6.1
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone