[KERNEL] [8.1.0 Oreo / 9.0.0 Pie] [3.10.108] [GCC 8.2.1] Sphinx Kernel - v3.6

Search This thread

UsPdSr

This was it basically, but of course isn't this here a social get together. ;/

Anyhow.

@milouk

I was wondering if you had the opportunity to look into the problem respective the log file?

I am happy to test it further for you, if you would tell me, how I can pull the neccessary crash report(s).

As error analysis did I use the same chroot installer again, after I wiped and formatted the entire device of course, went back to oreo stock, with the official kernel from offensives repo.

I hadn't any kind of issues(with this setup though).

:(

Last edited:

anonxlg

Sep 3, 2011
I am on elementalx on lineage (8.1) and I'm interested in using sphinx
I have custom settings (glassfish gov, downclocked cpu fq, custom low memory profile + zram settings etc) and using ex kernel manager.
Is there any reason to continue using ex kernel manager if i'm moving away from elementalx? I have franco kernel manager as alternative.
Is there custom settings I should use in conjunction with sphinx kernel?
I also am using magisk+riku core+edxposed and to pass safetynet.

(I guess what i'm asking is, is there a correct sequence of installing/flashing to upgrade to sphinx)

CLPose

Jan 7, 2015
Buenos Aires
I am on elementalx on lineage (8.1) and I'm interested in using sphinx
I have custom settings (glassfish gov, downclocked cpu fq, custom low memory profile + zram settings etc) and using ex kernel manager.
Is there any reason to continue using ex kernel manager if i'm moving away from elementalx? I have franco kernel manager as alternative.
Is there custom settings I should use in conjunction with sphinx kernel?
I also am using magisk+riku core+edxposed and to pass safetynet.

(I guess what i'm asking is, is there a correct sequence of installing/flashing to upgrade to sphinx)

To move to Sphinx, you should have rom stock kernel LOS 8.1, in your case. So you may want to dirty flash your rom again and then Sphinx kernel over it. If you have found a configuration with good balance between performance and battery, I would love to know it. Good luck!

UsPdSr

kernel is dated on last month not this one.

Wow, is this still going on.

Milouk, you botched the whole kernel, source, google. :/

.. ;)

As I am responsible for most of the Nethunter support and a couple of User, mainly from the Poco forum, have still enorm problems with airmon-ng respectively iwconfig.

I know you are not that much interested in this sector, but your workload completely to another user/friend whatever dropping is not much of help for either of us.

The problem is that the external Wlan Nics is for some reason either not getting enough power, which is something that is out of your influence, or that another thing is blocking the constant use of a NIC in monitor mode.

I remembered the kernel for Oreo by another user and hope that his git-hub/-lab repo is still available.

Addendum

The syntax is intentionally overwinded, because you are one of the 0 people that have difficulties understanding me. :fingers-crossed:

Here is the kernel for Oreo 8.1

https://github.com/kamarush/bullhead

As you'll see it is based on ElementalX, but as those modification are barely of your caliber dev-wise am I confident you gonna fix it soon. ;)

Even though it is a complete other environment and device, you are being tangent by the same problem with the Xiaomi.

Anyhowsel, as I said, is this purely a courtesy and not a request by myself, because I don't own the device anymore.

Last edited:
N

noppy22

Hi,

I have removed a few posts as they were off-topic and unnecessary for a development thread.

Please try to show respect to other members and if you want to post drama, keep it to PM's.

Thanks
noppy22

Reactions: nirogu325 and JJ111

axelrodmagma

Jul 7, 2016
This was the kernel floating around in pixel experience bullhead group(telegram) if you want to take a look at it.

Attachments

• Shadow-20200324-2207-2f673bddfc.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 59

UsPdSr

@milouk

Maybe it would be a better idea to avoid some features, if you have plans to continue the kernel(at least for the Nexus), like mac80211 implementation, wireless driver for external Wlan adapter.

I prefer other kernel, but belive that your kernel has many features, which are interesting for user with a different idea of usability.

I wouldn't like to read again dozens of bug reports, after the revision from other user, who do not understand where the mistake lies and you not able to help them(no offense).

Best regards & good luck

:)

Last edited:

axelrodmagma

Jul 7, 2016
@milouk

Maybe it would be a better idea to avoid some features, if you have plans to continue the kernel(at least for the Nexus), like mac80211 implementation, wireless driver for external Wlan adapter.

I prefer other kernel, but belive that your kernel has many features, which are interesting for user with a different idea of usability.

I wouldn't like to read again dozens of bug reports, after the revision from other user, who do not understand where the mistake lies and you not able to help them(no offense).

Best regards & good luck

:)
Which kernel do you use

UsPdSr

Which kernel do you use

At the moment?For which purpose exactly?

I don't own the device anymore, but I am happy to recommend you a solid, very elegant coded custom kernel for the full usage of Kali Nethunter: Not this one.

If you are happy with the basic support for Kali (Hid, common chipset support for external Wlan adapter..) plus some great features on top, can I wholeheartedly recommend LazerL0rd's 'Zest' kernel.

If you have interest in some of the recent upgrades by NetHunter, like AC-chipset support.
The maintainer, Re4son, just gave the latest one for this device (Android Stock Oreo 8.1) a good face-lift, with some nice upgrades.

Hope I could be of help :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CLPose

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1xXnZk3.png
    Introduction
    Ahoy everyone,

I decided to share my personal custom kernel with all of you. The main reason i started developing this kernel is to balance performance / battery / security and also add features.

I believe i have included most of the usually requested features. If your feature is not included you can ask for it and i will try to include it as long as you don't ask for ETA's. I am a student and i do this on my spare time.

This kernel is based on LineageOS 16.0 sources for bullhead and has been upstreamed to version 3.10.108.
    Moreover, it is compiled with GNU GCC Toolchain which is based on latest gnu.org changes and patched with AOSP and Linaro Android patches for optimal performance/battery.

So let's jump to the interesting part!

Sphinx Kernel Features
    • Upstream Linux version from 3.10.73 to 3.10.108
    • Compiled with GNU GCC Toolchain 8.2.1
    • Built with -O2 optimizations
    • Makefile Optimizations
    • Always Latest Security Patch (December)
    • Some CVE Patches
    • Overclock to 2150 MHz for the Big and 1747 MHz for the Little
    • Underclock to 302 MHz for Big & Little
    • Faux Sound Control
    • High Performance Audio
    • Adreno Idler
    • AdrenoBoost
    • Adaptive Low Memory Killer
    • LazyTime Support for ext4
    • Qnovo Charging Interface
    • Boeffla Wakelock Control
    • Input Boost Driver
    • USB Fastcharge
    • Power Efficient Workqueues
    • Dynamic Fsync v2.1
    • sdFAT Support
    • Overclocked SLIMbus
    • WiFi Channel Bonding
    • mac80211 Injection Patch
    • Thermal Threshold Control
    • WireGuard Support
    • ARCH_POWER Interface
    • Voltage Control (A53) - (A57)
    • Frandom Support
    • Hima Hotplug
    • MSM_Hotplug v2.4
    • MSM Thermal Patches by @jollaman999
    • New Square Root Algorithm
    • Powersuspend v1.7 Support
    • Earlysuspend Support
    • Process Reclaim (Enabled by default)
    • UKSM Support (Disabled by default)
    • CRC Toggle - 30% Boost
    • Kcal Advanced Color Control
    • TouchBoost Control (Disabled by default)
    • Backlight Dimmer
    • Vibration Control
    • exFAT Support
    • WakeUp Boost Driver
    • Does NOT force encryption
    • Fingerprint Boost Driver
    • DoubleTap2Wake
    • Sweep2Sleep
    • Sweep2Wake
    • Camera Launch Gesture
    • Pass SafetyNet without Root/Magisk
    • Gentle Fair Sleepers Control
    • NetFilter Advanced Options
    • TTL Target
    • Governors : relaxed, chill, Intelliactive, blu_active, interactive, ondemand, userspace, powersave, performance
    • I/O Schedulers : noop, deadline, row, cfq, maple, fiops, sio
    • TCP Options : bic, cdg (default), westwood, htcp, hstcp, hybla, vegas, scalable, lp, veno, yeah, illinois
    • Atheros 9 Wireless Cards Support
    • Ralink 27xx / 28xx / 30xx Wireless Cards Support
    • BLOD Support
    • Pie 9.0.0 Support
    • ext4 Upstream Commits from 3.18 and 4.1
    • Zipped up with AnyKernel2 from @osm0sis

Special Thanks
    @razorloves, @nathanchance, @mr.ace, @flar2

Notes
    I bear absolutely no responsibility. If you brick your device. If you are not sure what a kernel is, how to flash it or how to restore your phone in case something goes wrong then do NOT proceed.
    Morever, you should flash this kernel only over the stock kernel that came with your Rom.

Downloads - Version 3.6
    Sphinx 3.6 : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=6006931924117911438

Sphinx 3.6 : without OC : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=6006931924117911451

Note: The ONLY difference is Overclocking.

/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/​

I have dedicated countless hours developing this kernel so if you like my work consider buying me a coffee to help me stay awake an keep improving Sphinx.

/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/​

XDA:DevDB Information
    Sphinx Kernel, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
    milouk
    Source Code: https://github.com/milouk/Sphinx-Kernel-Bullhead

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.6
    Stable Release Date: 2019-07-07

Created 2018-05-07
    Last Updated 2019-07-07
    Version 3.2

Hello Guys!!

New Version is up! Sorry for the delay i had so many things to do the past weeks, i barely had enough time to sleep.

Changelog :
    -Merged September Security Patch
    -Updated Wireguard
    -Updated Toolchain to 8.0.1
    -Added TTL Target Control for more info check here https://www.linuxtopia.org/Linux_Firewall_iptables/x4799.html
    -Enabled Mangle
    -Enabled Netfilter Advanced

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers :highfive:
    Version 2.9

Ok, guys I have arrived home and it's time for version 2.9.

Note : In version 2.9 i decided to invest in the compiling procedure too instead of just adding features. I think that the compilation procedure is very critical in terms of performance and battery and thus should not be neglected. For this reason the changelog below includes many building/compiling changes that have vastly improved performance and battery life

Changelog :
    -Added Wake Up Boost Driver
    -Default Thermal Threshold is now 43 - it is the golden spot (you can always change it)
    -Prioritize Fingerprint unlock when screen is off
    -Display Optimizations for better battery
    -Workqueue Improvements
    -Merged a "hack" that can improve internet speed
    -Fixed the bug that didn't let UnderVolting the highest frequency of the A57
    -Update WireGuard Backend Module to version 0.0.20180625
    -sdFAT Support for vFAT and exFAT filesystems
    -Added Relaxed Governor
    -Adapted Chill Governor to Little.Big Architecture
    -Overclocked SLIMbus - This will provide the best possible audio our hardware can support. For more info on SLIMbus click here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLIMbus
    -Now Compiling with UBER Toolchain 8.0.0 - This is the first kernel for bullhead to be compiled with the latest and greatest version of GCC
    -Makefile Optimizations for better performance and battery life.
    -New Hima Hotplug Script Attached

Cheers and Enjoy :highfive:
    Guys!

I finally gathered some money and moved on to a Mi 8.
    Sphinx was my first android project and i would like to thank all of you for the support i got. It was a quick but amazing journey. I hope i see you around.

Im going to continue and maintain Sphinx security- wise but i won't be adding any more features.

Thank you all again!!

Cheers!
    Version 3.1

Aloha Guys, it's been a while...

You can say this one is a "big" update heheh!

Changelog :
    -USB FastCharge - Note (1)
    -ext4: Support Lazytime - Note (2)
    -Added MSM_HOTPLUG v2.4 - Note (3)
    -New Square Root algorithm which is 3x Faster.
    -Adreno improvements
    -Added AdrenoBoost Parameter
    -Further disable Gentle Fair Sleepers
    -Added ARCH_POWER interface - Note (4)
    -Disable add_random - Note (5)
    -Numerous ext4 upstream commits from 3.18 and 4.1
    -Thermal patches by @jollaman999 - Note (6)
    -Many Low Memory Killer Improvements
    -Added Adaptive Low Memory Killer - Note (7)
    -SdFAT Upstream improvements
    -Added Process Reclaim (enabled by Default)
    -UKSM Improvements
    -MSM8992 (Snapdragon 808) Upstream improvements from 4.10
    -Qnovo Charging Interface - Note (8)
    -SLIMBUS OC Fix
    -Added PowerSuspend v1.7 - Note (9)
    -Added EarlySuspend
    -Merged August Security Patch - Note (10)
    -Update Wireguard - 0.0.20180802 - Note (11)

Notes :

Note 1: USB fast charge increases the input limit from 550 mAh to 1500 mAh. You can check it with Ampere from Play Store.
    Note 2: Very Interesting feature check here https://lwn.net/Articles/621046/ and here https://lwn.net/Articles/620086/.
    Note 3: See tunnables here: https://github.com/milouk/Sphinx-Kernel-Bullhead/commit/32034a5115c306f11eb7ee5d039d482423fe5080
    Note 4: You need Kernel Adiutor to configure it.
    Note 5: add_random was implemented for spinning hard disks. It only slows SSDs down. Read here http://wiki.samat.org/SSD for more info.
    Note 6: Taken from Jolla Kernel (https://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/orig-development/jolla-kernelbullhead-t3271530) credits to @jollaman999
    == MSM Thermal Tunable options ==
    Parameters are here '/sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters'

[msm_thermal Tunable options]
    = poll_ms - msm_thermal will check the device's temperature every this milli seconds.
    = temp_threshold - Limit the frequency of LITTLE when the temp is reached to this value.
    = temp_big_threshold - Limit the frequency of big when the temp is reached to this value.
    = temp_big_off_threshold - Turn off the big cores when the temp is reached to this value.
    = temp_step_little - If 'temp_step_little = 4' and 'temp_threshold = 60', frequency will decrease like below.
    └─temp = 60 --> LITTLE's max frequency will decrease one step.
    └─temp = 62 --> LITTLE's max frequency will decrease one step.
    └─temp = 63 --> LITTLE's max frequency will decrease one step.
    └─temp = 64 --> LITTLE's max frequency will decrease two steps.
    └─temp = 65 --> LITTLE's max frequency will decrease two steps.
    └─temp = 68 --> LITTLE's max frequency will decrease three steps.
    = temp_step_big - If 'temp_step_big = 2' and 'temp_threshold = 60', frequency will decrease like below.
    └─temp = 60 --> big's max frequency will decrease one step.
    └─temp = 61 --> big's max frequency will decrease one step.
    └─temp = 62 --> big's max frequency will decrease two steps.
    └─temp = 63 --> big's max frequency will decrease two steps.
    └─temp = 64 --> big's max frequency will decrease three steps.
    = freq_step_little - Frequency decrease step for little.
    = freq_step_big - Frequency decrease step for big.
    = temp_count_max_little - If this value is 3, LITTLE's max frequency will decrease 1 to 3 steps.
    = temp_count_max_big - If this value is 5, big's max frequency will decrease 1 to 5 steps.

Note 7: Makes LMK more aggressive dynamically when a thrashing scenario is detected.
    Note 8: Qnovo QNS is the battery charging controller. This technology helps batteries stay cool while charging and thus expanding their life see here for more info https://qnovo.com/technology/
    Note 9: Better be configured with Kernel Adiutor, more info here https://github.com/milouk/Sphinx-Kernel-Bullhead/commit/dd34fecbff5fadfc3de941b3396aaca313800b44
    Note 10: More info here https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2018-08-01
    Note 11: Changelog here https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/log/

Aaaaaand Enjoy! :highfive: