[KERNEL][9.1] Performance Enhanced Overclock Kernel

Search This thread

rootfan

Jul 20, 2011
@A.N.Droid, @snake218, and others having problems with exfat / ntfs, I've added a Magisk module called Vold9_0 to the first post that should fix the issue. Right after installing the module and rebooting you may need to unplug your Shield TV and plug it back in to get it to boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: snake218

snake218

Nov 1, 2012
@A.N.Droid, @snake218, and others having problems with exfat / ntfs, I've added a Magisk module called Vold9_0 to the first post that should fix the issue. Right after installing the module and rebooting you may need to unplug your Shield TV and plug it back in to get it to boot.
First of all, Thank you for all your work.

Fix is working, tested on Shield 2017, latest 9.1
- Installed kernel via adb
- installed Vold9 module on magisk, reboot
- Rebooted to "no command" screen
- Unplug, plug power back and booted normally, USB storage is working.

Reactions: rootfan

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Does anyone know where to download the 9.1 image from NVidia's website? I can't find it.

I'm also wondering if they're still providing the dev image that's pre-rooted (only for adb access I believe).

go2xraj

Apr 29, 2011
Does anyone know where to download the 9.1 image from NVidia's website? I can't find it.

I'm also wondering if they're still providing the dev image that's pre-rooted (only for adb access I believe).
9.1 image not yet released yet officially, have to download 9.0 first and upgrade from there…

mr.wrinw

Dec 3, 2020
I did this but exfat and ntfs drive still got errors.

So I have to flash back original boot image to use my exfat and ntfs drives.

beatLeo

Nov 2, 2013
Which magisk must be installed for android 11? i just installed the one for android pie, and after that i got stuck on nvidia logo.
Edit: nvm, i installed last magisk app from topjohnwu on github. And i make a clean flash. Followed rootfan instructions on page 1. I also reported that magisk module Vold9_0 is not working with my microsd and neither my external hdd drive..

Last edited:

krest

May 15, 2009
@rootfan
I'm on 8.0.1 version firmware with root (Shield 2015).
Can I flash latest kernel R1.8 without upgrade to new firmware 9.1 ?
Thanks

krest

May 15, 2009
@rootfan
I'm on 8.0.1 version firmware with root (Shield 2015).
Can I flash latest kernel R1.8 without upgrade to new firmware 9.1 ?
Thanks
Unfortunately kernel, R1.8 does not work on 8.0.1.
I tried fastboot boot the kernel before flashing.I'm stuck on the Nvidia logo 😢
I don't want to upgrade to 9.1 because I'm using full android (Pie) from Zulu99.
Judging by the reviews, the R1.4 kernel works fine on android (Pie), but I can't find where to download it.
I would be glad if someone can post kernel R1.4 and Shield Tools 1.2.1
Thanks in advance...🙂
_________
@rootfan
I hope you still have old versions (R1.4 and Shield Tools 1.2.1)
Thanks

Last edited:

snake218

Nov 1, 2012
Kernel 1.8 still working on current update 9.1.1 (shield tv 2017), USB working too (module still installed).

Updated shield normally, after reboot i flashed again the kernel using the usual adb method.

xabier-bo

Sep 17, 2014
Kernel 1.8 still working on current update 9.1.1 (shield tv 2017), USB working too (module still installed).

Updated shield normally, after reboot i flashed again the kernel using the usual adb method.
Hi,

It's not working for me with 9.1.1 2015 16Gb (I fastboot boot kernel1.8, it starts booting but remains stop at nvidia logo)

Would you mind to be a bit more detailed about the method you use?
Maybe I'm doing unnecessary steps...

What I do:
- I apply the upgrade, so it removes root
- then I tried fastbooting boot kernel 1.8 (as I said it didn't work for me)
- so I twrp flash magisk (25.2), that's running OK
- and thet again tried unsuccessfully to fastboot boot kernel1.8 with the already described result

Any clue? Any better procedure?
thanks!

snake218

Nov 1, 2012
Hi,

It's not working for me with 9.1.1 2015 16Gb (I fastboot boot kernel1.8, it starts booting but remains stop at nvidia logo)

Would you mind to be a bit more detailed about the method you use?
Maybe I'm doing unnecessary steps...

What I do:
- I apply the upgrade, so it removes root
- then I tried fastbooting boot kernel 1.8 (as I said it didn't work for me)
- so I twrp flash magisk (25.2), that's running OK
- and thet again tried unsuccessfully to fastboot boot kernel1.8 with the already described result

Any clue? Any better procedure?
thanks!
- Are you in fastboot mode while flashing?
- Do you use the correct flash instruction?
fastboot flash boot Kernel_R1_8.img
(Check your .img file name, and that is in the correct location)

- If you use TWRP, don't flash it, just "run" it if you need to use it. I had problems in the past flashing the Kernel and was TWRP fault, always got a bootloop if i flashed it to recovery.

If you already flashed TWRP, do a new firmware install and try again.

Reactions: xabier-bo

xabier-bo

Sep 17, 2014
🤗

SATV keeps its stock recovery and I only boot TWRP (not flashing it) just for rooting after upgrade

I've not tried flashing kernel1.8, but to boot it (fastboot boot x.img), as a precaution.
As the 9.1.1 recovery images are not published yet I didn't dare to flash kernel without previous testing

beatLeo

Nov 2, 2013
Could someone confirm that microsd/HDD exfat/ntfs works with last kernel and magisk module vold9_0 on modelo 2015 pro? I have only read snake218 with model pro 2017 that Is working.

goolby

Feb 8, 2010
Baia Mare
Could someone confirm that microsd/HDD exfat/ntfs works with last kernel and magisk module vold9_0 on modelo 2015 pro? I have only read snake218 with model pro 2017 that Is working.
I can confirm this, it’s working on my 2017 Pro 256 SSD swap (witch is technicaly 2015 with new controller), tried it with ntfs usb stick and microsd…

Reactions: beatLeo
Jan 20, 2018
Please tell me the link to the working recovery that is being stitched?

As far as I understand, it will not work to get ROOT for android 11 on this console?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The latest kernel, R1.8, is for Shield experience 9.1. Supported Shield TVs include all 2015 and 2017 models. The 2019 models are not supported. Enjoy the kernel and leave any feedback that you may have :)

Install Instructions:
    - Download and extract Kernel_R1_8.zip
    - Flash Kernel_R1_8.img in fastboot using fastboot flash boot Kernel_R1_8.img
    - You could also fastboot boot the kernel before flashing it to make sure everything is working correctly
    - Once your shield has booted up again install the latest magisk app if you haven't already
    - Open the magisk app and update / reboot if necessary
    - I've seen the shield fail to boot when rebooting right after updating Magisk. If this happens, just unplug your shield tv and plug it back in and everything should work fine
    - Install Shield_Tools_V1_4.apk and tune the kernel to your liking. By default, all settings are stock
    - If you need exfat / ntfs support, then install the attached Vold9_0 Magisk module

Kernel R1.8 Features:
    - Based on the kernel sources for shield experience 9.1
    - 2.22 Ghz CPU overclock
    - 1.23 GHz GPU overclock
    - 1866 Mhz RAM Overclock
    - Fully customizable fan settings
    - The touchpad on the 2015 controller (blake) is enabled and works correctly
    - The blake touchpad cursor speed is adjustable
    - One of the the top triggers on the blake controller can be selected to act like a mouse button. This can be used along with the touchpad to scroll fairly conveniently
    - The kernel version has been updated from 4.9.141 to 4.9.324 using the upstream android 4.9-q branch. Some changes have also been integrated from Linux for tegra
    - Compiled with the latest aosp prebuilt clang, clang-r445002 version 14.0.2
    - Compiled with -O3 speed optimizations and link time optimization (LTO)
    - CFI is enabled for additional security

Note: The cpu throttles to around 2.0Ghz at 66C. Keep this in mind when setting fan speeds if you're trying to maximize performance. Also, regardless of what you set, the fan will always turn off when the temperature falls below the lowest value. I'll probably change this in a future shield tools release.

Old Changelogs:

R1.1:
    Prerooted with magisk
    Selinux is permissive by default

R1.2:
    GPU Overclock up to 1.23 GHz
    Boot frequencies are default and must be adjusted manually (using my app) to overclock
    Ondemand and interactive governors added. Interactive is default
    (debug feature) Serial console over ttyUSB0
    First release of shield tools, an app to help tune this kernel. Shield Tools does not work with earlier releases

R1.3
    First release for pie
    Fully customizable fan settings
    Shield tools updated to V1.1 with fan controls and changes needed for pie
    Vendor and system verity are disabled
    System as root is removed to support Magisk.

R1.3.1
    Use kernel modules again to fix some bugs such as USB issues.

R1.4 / Shield Tools 1.2.1
    Kernel updated from 4.9.140 to 4.9.162
    1866 MHz RAM Overclock (Improves graphics performance significantly)
    Power throttling added by Nvidia in the pie release has been removed
    RAM control added to Shield Tools
    Shield Tools saves settings and applies them on boot now
    Shield Tools 1.2.1 fixes fan settings for 2017 shields.

R1.5 / Shield Tools 1.3
    Kernel updated with Nvidia's latest rel-32-r7 sources
    Many more selectable RAM frequencies
    RAM voltage is slightly increased at frequencies above 1725 MHz
    New installation method that doesn't modify the system or vendor partitions
    Standby frequency reset issue fixed (actually fixed in Shield Tools 1.2.2)
    Kernel version is 4.9.140 again, but the sdcard bootloop issue is gone

R1.6 / Shield Tools 1.4
    First release for android 11
    Kernel version updated from 4.9.141 to 4.9.309
    Touchpad on blake controller is enabled by default and a problem with the cursor jumping on initial touch has been fixed
    Blake touchpad speed can be adjusted
    Either the top right or top left trigger on the blake controller can be selected to act like a mouse button. This makes scrolling using the touchpad fairly convenient
    When setting fan speed values the same speed can now be repeated
    The speed and temperature dialogs now automatically scroll together
    Fan hysteresis is now set when changing temperatures to fix potential problems with the fan speed not decreasing properly
    All security features are left enabled. I'll disable them if there's actually a need for it
    Magisk's root directory overlay feature is used to load kernel modules

R1.7
    Changes from the 9.0.2 release have been merged
    Kernel version updated to 4.9.311
    Werrors preventing compilation with clang 14 have been fixed
    Several CFI failures have been fixed allowing enforcing CFI to be used (at least on 2015 shields)
    Clang is now used to compile the kernel with LTO and CFI enabled
    Debug tracing has been disabled to save some memory
    In previous releases the voltage was too low on some shield tvs to reach a 2.22 GHz CPU overclock. This has been fixed.

Changelog for the latest release R1.8:
    Changes from the 9.1 release have been merged
    Kernel version updated to 4.9.324
    CFI failure in the realtek ethernet driver that caused the 2017 shield to bootloop should be fixed

Big thanks to Magisk.

Standard Disclaimer: You're responsible for what you do to your devices, so don't blame anyone else if something goes wrong.

Kernel Sources: https://github.com/rootfan/
    @dfl and @imoldchen I've been working on an overclock kernel for 8.0. The kernel is basically ready to go, but I want to provide full fan control which will require some additions to the shield tools app. Hopefully I'll be able to get something out soon. @snake218 if you're on full android oreo and not pie, your best bet is to use the zip and twrp provided in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80110657&postcount=18. The problem is that you need the shield tools app to enable overclocking, and that is designed for android tv so it may not work on the full android that you're using.
    I was under the impression magisk is root and kernal is for overclocking totally separate. I think once I read through the thread again the kernal is for overclocking and it is separate but only works on 7.2.3 guess I totally missed it I swear I've read this thread 10 times now. So root works on 8.0 but kernal only on 7.2.3. Can anyone confirm please.
    Yes, as it says on the main thread.

kernel is part of the boot.img
    So both zip's contains a kernel, one of them has an edited kernel containing overclocks, other one dosnt.
    Both are rooted with magisk.

The one for 7.2.3, is overclocked and rooted.
    The one for 8.0 is rooted.
    Thank you so much for this! The performance increase is amazing on Shield 2015.

For questions regarding Compatibility: Check that the first five digits of your kernel version under System-> Info match with the one you are about to flash (4.9.140-xxxxxxxxx), that should work, I am on Shied TV 8.2.2 .

Widevine (Netflix etc.) is not affected.

Flashing instructions:

1. Boot to fastboot ( adb reboot bootloader )
    2. Unlock bootloader - this will wipe ALL of your data ( fastboot oem unlock )
    3. Reboot and reenable developer options
    4. Boot to twrp ( fastboot boot your/twrp/image.img
    5. Via MTP place the Kernel in the shields /sdcard
    6. With mouse flash the kernel using the gui
    7. Boot the device
    8. Install Shieldtools.apk ( adb install path/to/your/shield-tools.apk
    9. Launch Shield tools and grant root permissions permanently
    10. Tweak your settings
    11. Enjoy your overclocked Shield!

I have maxed out all settings and it is working great, additionally I changed the fan settings for >70°C to max speed, since then I don't get any freezes.

I have tested one game of which I knew performs badly on stock shield settings (Mario Kart WII on luigi circuit) and Dolphin MMJR, on stock Kernel. With all performance enhancing tweaks the max game speed on the first map is 78%, native Wii resolution.
    Using the same conditions with maxed out kernel and performance governor the max game speed goes as high as 92% - when there is not too much action going on on screen! It is definitly playable now though.

On 720p Fps vary around 44 and 47 and the game speed is between 70% and 80%, looks nice, but feels slow.

Sling Shot Extreme Open GL ES 3.1 on 3DMark gives 4438 points and Sling Shot on 3DMark gives 512 points, making it better than 95% than all other shields according to the stats.

Thank you very much for this development.
    @SkOrPn, upgrading Magisk should work fine with R1.4. I upgraded directly from Magisk Manager without issue. The problem you had seems to be that Shield Tools was denied root access. If you have any further problems make sure that Shield Tools has been granted root permission in Magisk Manager. @urkelz, I haven't seen the cpu overclock reset when coming out of standby. If it's an issue that others are having I'll look into fixing it.

Magisk Rooted / Overclockable Boot.img
    Below you'll find a fastboot flashable magisk rooted overclock kernel. Extract the zip and fastboot boot the image to see if it works. If all goes well, you can flash it. Hopefully this will make the installation process easier for those that have had problems. You cannot update Magisk when using this version though and you may need to install the Magisk Manager app seperately. Also, as I only have the 2015 shield pro, you'll have to let me know if it works on the other models. @[email protected], go ahead and give this a try. You don't need a mouse for it.