[KERNEL][9] A2N Kernel [10h SOT][Easy Guide Step by Step][2021.02.06]

ace2nutzer

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2014
Cologne
OK guys, finally now we have it !! :love:

So i represent to you the new A2N Kernel and app release ....

This is next level development

Changelog

Kernel V. 2021.01.20

• Optimized system clocks
  • Fixed stability issues with/without zRam from previous release
  • Charger Control: added battery volt & battery (charge) max_temp interface
    Reverted all temperature settings to stock
    HACK: allow to reset battery capacity without JIG :cool:
    FIX: fast charging in LPM and any issues with fast charging, likely with wireless fast charging
  • CPU: updated ondemand governor
  • GPU: added a simple ondemand governor ;)
  • Source code cleanups
  • Reduced log buffer to the Min
  • Reenabled touch booster driver
  • Swap: improved zRam performance (page-cluster reset to stock)
  • Wi-Fi: allow to disable 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz band (this will fix severe issues with Wi-Fi routers that doesn't allow to use different SSID for 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz band)
    Extended driver
  • RAM: 3724 MB

A2N Kernel Control V. 3.1

• Power: added "Battery Voltage Check"*
    fixed 3500 mA current for S8+
    added "Battery Cycles" & "Real Battery Capacity" and allow to reset it*
    added "Max Charging Temperature"
  • CPU/GPU: readded "up_threshold" & "Disable Boost"
    added "Increase Sampling Rate"
  • Added more dialogs / checks*
  • RAM: optimized "Drop Caches / Buffers"*
  • Screen: readd "Input Boost Duration"
  • Added a quick 3-way reboot menu*
  • Network: added "Wi-Fi Band Set"
  • Stability fix*
  • Grammar fixes*
  • Updated defaults
* free in demo version
------------------------------------------------------------

Version Info
I suggest to downlaod as well latest magisk.zip and magisk_uninstaller.zip to have a clean and stable installation.
You can download latest official Magisk from here.
You don't need to download latest magisk_manager.zip since latest version is already in magisk.zip.
Latest A2N builds like always from here.
Please download also latest patched TWRP from "General" folder.

How to upgrade to the latest Magisk, A2N Kernel and TWRP:

• install first the latest patched TWRP from me
  • reboot to recovery
  • flash magisk_uninstaller.zip
  • reboot to recovery
  • flash latest A2N Kernel
  • flash latest magisk.zip
  • wipe cache / dalvik-cache (optional but recommended)
  • reboot to the system

Last edited:

Devil90

Jan 11, 2021
Roma
Great! Nice work with the latest version of the kernel and app (y) :cool:
I had a question, setting the power save profile in the control app, this only adjusts the cpu / gpu frequency and is independent of the governor settings such as up_threshold right?

moreformusic

Jul 3, 2020
Piatra Neamț
I need some help (especially from power users):
Few days ago I performed a clean install of stock S8 firmware for some testing, then flashed A2N kernel (before @ace2nutzer announced latest update) and noticed some overheating, especially when gaming, then I updated latest A2N kernel, along with reinstalling magisk, but this overheating still persist when gaming (or other process that consumes a lot of resources). Before clean flashing stock firmware I didn't encounter any overheating with A2N kernel.. Any ideas how to solve this problem?
EDIT: I also used battery Idle mode, but I've seen it was quite ineffective because my battery kept charging somehow (+3% in 40 min) something that didn't happen before..

Reactions: ace2nutzer

Devil90

Jan 11, 2021
Roma
Few days ago I performed a clean install of stock S8 firmware for some testing, then flashed A2N kernel (before @ace2nutzer announced latest update) and noticed some overheating, especially when gaming, then I updated latest A2N kernel, along with reinstalling magisk, but this overheating still persist when gaming (or other process that consumes a lot of resources). Before clean flashing stock firmware I didn't encounter any overheating with A2N kernel.. Any ideas how to solve this problem?
EDIT: I also used battery Idle mode, but I've seen it was quite ineffective because my battery kept charging somehow (+3% in 40 min) something that didn't happen before..
You need to be more specific, what rom are you on, did you perform a full wipe?
I am currently with HadesRom 12 (Pie) with the latest kernel version, I use the power saving profile in the A2N kernel app settings and I have no overheating even in game (I only play to Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links).

moreformusic

Jul 3, 2020
Piatra Neamț
You need to be more specific, what rom are you on, did you perform a full wipe?
I am currently with HadesRom 12 (Pie) with the latest kernel version, I use the power saving profile in the A2N kernel app settings and I have no overheating even in game (I only play to Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links).
Read my post again but carefully, I already specified that details

Devil90

Jan 11, 2021
Roma
Read my post again but carefully, I already specified that details
Forgie me I read quickly.
I would try to add on custom Rom, the stock firmware one sucks, it's too bloated with junk.
All it takes is heavy gaming, crap processes running in the background, a high gpu frequency and you have heat.
Flash wipe and try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: maej72

ace2nutzer

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2014
Cologne
You are right, tested right now and GPU high temp throttling doesn't work at all and CPU throttling works but seems to be not very well optimized.
It worked before .. so i didn't test it again, i think that issue was introduced after readding GPU OC.
I'll fix it now immediately.

That's normal +/- 3 % after long time because it's not possible to supply the phone 100 % with cable-only.

rtyuakatsuki

May 18, 2020
You are right, tested right now and GPU high temp throttling doesn't work at all and CPU throttling works but seems to be not very well optimized.
It worked before .. so i didn't test it again, i think that issue was introduced after readding GPU OC.
I'll fix it now immediately.
I like that bug i think that good for me because my s8+ has been added thermal pad and thermal paste to better cooling system and why i like that bug because i dont have money to buy your kernel and cause of the bug i got 60fps stable PUBG on 720p 😁😁😁😁

Reactions: God's Bro

God's Bro

Jul 21, 2020
is it necessary to use your TWRP for flashing your kernel. I already flashed the new kernel via TWRP 3.4. I faced no such issues btw.
Small doubts on increase sampling rate, ZRAM and touch boost. For gaming will I keep sampling rate checked or unchecked?. Since I play heavy Fps games on my device which percentage of ZRAM should I set. I got a random reboot when my device is running WhatsApp when I set the ZRAM to 50%. Device heats slightly when touch boost set to max, which boost setting is beneficial for a user like me?

The best thing in this kernel is, the heavy apps loads faster than the galaxy s9. Overall for me the recent kernel is good in terms of temperature management, battery life and performance. Great kernel as always. Keep up dev, Good luck(y);)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ace2nutzer

ace2nutzer

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2014
Cologne
is it necessary to use your TWRP for flashing your kernel. I already flashed the new kernel via TWRP 3.4. I faced no such issues btw.
It's not mandatory, if the official release works well.
I was suggesting to update first TWRP in case someone had my provious version installed, because i made some changes in RAM layout and there was some risk to trig a Samsung boot logo loop.
Another reason to use TWRP with the same kernel you will use for booted Android is due to some possibly interferences with filesystem drivers if the kernel version is not the same, e.g. Linux 4.4.11 vs. 4.4.150. Also i like in general to use my custom kernel in recovery.
So it's not to give some disrespect to the TWRP maintainer.

Small doubts on increase sampling rate, ZRAM and touch boost. For gaming will I keep sampling rate checked or unchecked?. Since I play heavy Fps games on my device which percentage of ZRAM should I set.
For gaming use this settings:

Screen:
Toch Boost Duration: 3000 ms
CPU:
up_threshold: lowest (65)
Cool Freq: 2002 MHz
GPU:
up_threshold: lowest (40 - 45)
Cool Freq: 455 MHz (or if you don't care about more heat then set 546 MHz)
Profile: Performance Plus
zRam: 50 %

With above settings you will easily break every record for the S8.
Especially with coming kernel with fixed thermal stuff for CPU / GPU !

I got a random reboot when my device is running WhatsApp when I set the ZRAM to 50%. Device heats slightly when touch boost set to max, which boost setting is beneficial for a user like me?
last_kmsg ??? (you can find it in demo app) - But if you have already rebooted after the random reboot then the unexpected reboot reason is lost. In that case try next time.

The best thing in this kernel is, the heavy apps loads faster than the galaxy s9. Overall for me the recent kernel is good in terms of temperature management, battery life and performance. Great kernel as always. Keep up dev, Good luck(y);)
Finally ! - Thanks !

ace2nutzer

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2014
Cologne
Changelog

Kernel V. 2021.01.26

• Fixed device heating up
  • CPU/GPU: optimized thermal throttling (performance)

A2N Kernel Control V. 3.2

• CPU/GPU: updated "Cool Freq" (DVFS)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uploaded as well TWRP with this patched kernel inside. ^^

Devil90

Jan 11, 2021
Roma
Changelog

Kernel V. 2021.01.26

• Fixed device heating up
  • CPU/GPU: optimized thermal throttling (performance)

A2N Kernel Control V. 3.2

• CPU/GPU: updated "Cool Freq" (DVFS)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uploaded as well TWRP with this patched kernel inside. ^^
So just the flash of the last TWRP (of course yours) and magisk right?
without wipe?

ace2nutzer

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2014
Cologne
So just the flash of the last TWRP (of course yours) and magisk right?
without wipe?
TWRP, kernel and Magisk without any wipe.
Wipe dalvik-cache or even wipe data is only needed if there are some issues.
But even without issues, it is a good practice to wipe dalvik every 3 months to avoid performance loss.

Reactions: Devil90