• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [Kernel] (Anakin) Skywalker ZS673KS - Stable Gaming [11/25 - 2111.196]

Search This thread
Vegeta9000.gif

This kernel is (just barely a little) experimental. Use at your own risk.
Feel free to skip past the first 5 pages when reading over this thread.​

This kernel assumes a few things about you, the user:

1. You have a ROG Phone 5
2. You have read all warnings and instructions
3. You are rooted (implying an unlocked bootloader)
4. You have an installation method
5. You have a backup boot image

Releases will be labeled with the commit hash of their source. The newest firmware is recommended for this kernel, but not necessarily required. I am not responsible for any issues or damage caused by installing this kernel, so have a backup ready before proceeding.

Archived Releases (Skywalker)​

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to kernel development.
Specific credit is provided by maintaining accurate commit history.

Last edited:
Current Kernel Improvements

CAF 5.4.161 / LA.UM.9.14.r1-18300-LAHAINA.0
CAF LA.UM.9.14.r1-18300-LAHAINA.0 CNSS
CAF LA.UM.9.14.r1-18300-LAHAINA.0 techpack

Boeffla Wakelock Blocker v1.1.0
Wireguard v1.0.20210606
Patched SafetyNet commandline
Magisk process detection patch
Disable watermark boosting
Multicolor LED / PlayStation / Nintendo HID
Tuxera ExFAT / NTFS modules
Umbrella Core [WIP] / Raccoon City
Optimization from Kirisakura / StarKissed

raccoon_city (originally written for the Shield Tablet) is a new take on "interactive" by using a combination of low latency timers and the kernel scheduler to scale more aggressively (or less, if configured that way) based on workload, in addition to capping the max inactive frequency. The purpose is to provide a balance between good battery life and performance without handicapping the device.

umbrella_core (originally written for the Note 4 and ported to hundreds of other devices) takes raccoon_city a step further with automation. In addition to the full array of user settings, this governor features a smart mode that will adjust the base values within a set range to further optimize battery and performance.

The difference between these governors and the batterysaver implementation (also available) is the lack of arbitrary caps on max values during normal use. By controlling the workload, this allows better control over when the next frequency is reached, instead of whether it is available at all.

The default configuration idles at a max of about 800 mHz, but can be configured for each cluster, much like most settings.

Restoring Stock / Rooted Boot Image

SafetyNet Fix (link courtesy of chairman11)

Building / Compiling Custom Kernels

Last edited:

Therazorsedge

Dec 15, 2017
Hi! Twisterumbrella thanks for the development, how can i instalo this kernel? I dont have twrp since its not developed, but i have that system versión as well as unlocked no and root. I Will be glad to test when i have a proper way yo installing this.

Thanks!!

ltth

Dec 13, 2018
Malmo
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
As it stands, the V18.0830.2101.86 kernel will cause a bootloop on the newest firmware, bot older firmware is untested. This is not to say the kernel will not function on the corresponding firmware, which is why it is being released.

2. You are capable of reading

If anyone is still on V18.0830.2101.86 and knows what they are doing, the package is attached to test out. Again, you should have a backup boot image handy.

Note: A patched WW-18.0840.2103.26 boot image has been attached in case of emergency. It was made with a Tencent device, so results may vary.

Should it be determined that the build works on older firmware, we know we are waiting on source updates from Asus and I can start pressuring them to publish it.
Should the kernel also fail on older builds, then I will know I need to take another look at the build process and see where it went wrong.

Hallo

Flashed your kernel and after restart my devices get into reboot wich I could not come out of. When I try flash my saved boot.img my device not connect to adb command like before (sound from pc confirm connection).
Checked and found a dive is missing but QUALcom USB 1.1 is drives installed. Any advice?

ltth

Dec 13, 2018
Malmo
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks for kernel, but after installed the kernel I come into a boot loop. So I went into fastboot mode for flashing my saved patched boot.img.
But my Rog did not connect to my PC in fastboot mode. I can see that an Android drive missing (attached file) and installed QC drives but still no connection. Solution?
Before I installed kernel there was no problem with ADB/USB connection my Rog.

Attachments

• ROG % missed drives.PNG
    ROG % missed drives.PNG
    133.7 KB · Views: 98

jhosharath

Jan 1, 2011
Pondicherry

Asus has just released new firmware and source for V18.0840.2104.47

The next kernel release will require updating to V18.0840.2104.47
I have unlocked bootloader and rooted with LSposed installed. Wont i the get this update in settings?. Do i have to manually apply this update? just a doubt whether to wait till i recieve the update notification or shall i go ahead with manual update

i am on WW_18.0840.2103.26 firmware. Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any issue, which otherwise cause a random reboot, has the potential to escalate to a ramdump. The fix would restore all of the debugging code that is rarely needed, but costly to performance.

The alternative, albeit not an ideal scenario, is not to install anything untested if you don't have time to monitor your phone. When you have the time, take note of any modifications you perform and remove them if you encounter a ramdump message. Chances are that will have been the cause.

Asus has addressed the two sections of code that caused a lot of the issues that inevitably led to a ramdump message. The first being a change in 176 causing issues with the logging process, which was reverted in 188. The second are fixes in 196 that address the logging and printing code. Credit where credit is due, Asus is addressing the issue. It is not the work of myself or any dev here.

That said, I apologize to those who missed an entire firmware version and were dismissed with runtime stats. You deserve more.
    Obsolete post. Please disregard.
    Vegeta9000.gif

This kernel is (just barely a little) experimental. Use at your own risk.
    Feel free to skip past the first 5 pages when reading over this thread.​

2. You have read all warnings and instructions

Releases will be labeled with the commit hash of their source. The newest firmware is recommended for this kernel, but not necessarily required. I am not responsible for any issues or damage caused by installing this kernel, so have a backup ready before proceeding.

Archived Releases (Skywalker)​

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to kernel development.
    Specific credit is provided by maintaining accurate commit history.

[Thread Cleaned]

Please keep the conversation respectful and on-topic. Think to yourself: "Will this contribute to the development of this kernel?" before posting and we'll all be much happier. Any questions or concerns about this announcement can be voiced in my PM box. Just please let our devs work their magic and support them; it's the only way forward.

Stay safe!
    Timmy
    Forum Moderator
    Formatted my hard drive and installed Mojave. Hopefully whatever issues were on my end should get resolved by doing everything fresh.

Asus has also begun diagnosing the issue. Their support is horribly slow, but has at least agreed to investigate.

Asus has just released new firmware and source for V18.0840.2104.47

The next kernel release will require updating to V18.0840.2104.47