Development [Kernel] (Anakin) Skywalker ZS673KS - Stable Gaming [3/31/2022]

Search This thread
Still no sign of Android 12 kernel source, but the battery life with the stock kernel has been on par with this kernel on Android 11. Performance has also been equivalent, if not better.

With the number of threads popping up daily about hardware failure and firmware issues, it may be in everyone's best interest to leave this as an Android 11 kernel. I currently see no reason to fix what isn't broken and risk breaking something else.

I realise this. I just wondered if there was a 5s pro version too that I just couldn't find.

If you do make one, please let me know. O would be pretty excited to try it.

I can't justify $1300 for such a minor upgrade and I'm not keen on building without the hardware.

Besides, updating to Android 12 currently eliminates the need for a custom kernel. That is what was posted about on 3/25.

Asus does not publish "official" source per se. It is a zip file with broken links to segmented code. The kernels for this device are always going to be a collection of third-party reproduction, guesswork, and duct tape. The stability lost in Android 11 was minimal and justified by the battery gain and some other minor features. That is no longer the case in Android 12.

Last edited:

BakaValen

May 17, 2011
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I can't justify $1300 for such a minor upgrade.

Besides, updating to Android 12 currently eliminates the need for a custom kernel. That is what was posted about on 3/25.

Asus does not publish "official" source per se. It is a zip file with broken links to segmented code. The kernels for this device are always going to be a collection of third-party reproduction, guesswork, and duct tape. The stability lost in Android 11 was minimal and justified by the battery gain and some other minor features. That is no longer the case in Android 12.
Yeah. that actually makes sense. Thanks for getting back to me.

Would you recommend updating to android 12 or sticking to 11?

btw I just got a new device from the service center cuz my old one died.

I personally upgraded to 12 and haven't regretted it. It would be great if they started updating it, but it's been stable on the current release. My only gripe has been the sensitivity of the swipe to unlock being a bit low. There are a lot of times I bounce the screen instead of unlocking. That's honestly such a minor defect, though.

Reactions: vinotux

vinotux

Apr 3, 2021
I personally upgraded to 12 and haven't regretted it. It would be great if they started updating it, but it's been stable on the current release. My only gripe has been the sensitivity of the swipe to unlock being a bit low. There are a lot of times I bounce the screen instead of unlocking. That's honestly such a minor defect, though.
Are there any performance differences?

would like to ask 5S PRO (18GB 512GB) Does it work?

Hasn't been tested, but there has been no upgrade to Android 12. Due to the unstable nature of custom kernels for the ROG 5 and the progress Asus made in updating the stock kernel, there was no significant value in specifically adding support for Android 12.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obsolete post. Please disregard.
    Vegeta9000.gif

This kernel is (just barely a little) experimental. Use at your own risk.
    Feel free to skip past the first 5 pages when reading over this thread.​

This kernel assumes a few things about you, the user:

1. You have a ROG Phone 5
    2. You have read all warnings and instructions
    3. You are rooted (implying an unlocked bootloader)
    4. You have an installation method
    5. You have a backup boot image
    6. You have disabled Always-on Panel

Releases will be labeled with the commit hash of their source. The newest firmware is recommended for this kernel, but not necessarily required. I am not responsible for any issues or damage caused by installing this kernel, so have a backup ready before proceeding.

Skywalker Releases
    (Descending, By Date)​

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to kernel development.
    Specific credit is provided by maintaining accurate commit history.

[Thread Cleaned]

Please keep the conversation respectful and on-topic. Think to yourself: "Will this contribute to the development of this kernel?" before posting and we'll all be much happier. Any questions or concerns about this announcement can be voiced in my PM box. Just please let our devs work their magic and support them; it's the only way forward.

Stay safe!
    Timmy
    Forum Moderator
    Formatted my hard drive and installed Mojave. Hopefully whatever issues were on my end should get resolved by doing everything fresh.

Asus has also begun diagnosing the issue. Their support is horribly slow, but has at least agreed to investigate.

Asus has just released new firmware and source for V18.0840.2104.47

The next kernel release will require updating to V18.0840.2104.47