• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [Kernel] (Anakin) Skywalker ZS673KS - Stable Gaming [Updated]

Search This thread
Ended up updating the camera so much that it broke. Or maybe not enough that it didn't work. Since I don't know which direction I need to go, the update I was building in the previous post (that was since edited) got delayed.

I did manage to test some (older) ideas for prioritizing the IRQ, but that ended up being more of a bad idea than anything. That probably explains why the code was never ported to the new layout.

Anyway, once I figure out whether or not an update actually improves things, i'll get the next version out.

Last edited:
For anyone that intends to use the updated techpack source or merge it:

Any display changes not part of the original techpack or CAF source are commented in line with the Asus custom changes

/* ASUS BSP Display Mod +++ */
Custom code is found here
/* ASUS BSP Display Mod --- */

There are a few fixes in the audio source that are highlighted below

Last edited:
Reactions: gouen1995

gouen1995

May 12, 2021
I don't know if this is related. But is there a way to control the interval between LED blinking when for example there's a notification?

I don't know if this is related. But is there a way to control the interval between LED blinking when for example there's a notification?

It can be customized, but I believe it is something open to be configured in the system (but not necessarily in system Settings). Magisk may have a module for it and there are a lot of apps. I believe it's also possible with a boot script. I would have to look up the specific command.

Fixes a few minor issues related to CAF / Asus source
The screenshot below can probably explain it better -

3DMark.png

Last edited:

gouen1995

May 12, 2021
Yesterday I flashed the latest release with FKM and I encountered a ramdump issue just now. I tried to force reboot and it automatically prompt 'Factory Data Reset... Restarting' (can refer to this Video example).

What I did next is hold the power button to attempt to do a manual reboot, but the touch screen doesn't seem to be working in that screen. I did another force reboot and it landed me into a boot screen saying the operating system is corrupted, I can opt to 'Try again' or 'Factory Reset'.. so I did a 'Try again' and once the enter PIN screen appears I quickly try to input my pin to go into home screen.. and I noticed there's no vibrator when I input my pin. Then the 'Factory Data Reset... Restarting' appear again.

I tried to flash boot, vendor_boot and dtbo via fastboot but the problem still occurs. I have my phone turned off now to see whether there's anything I can do from inputs from you guys.

Yesterday I flashed the latest release with FKM and I encountered a ramdump issue just now. I tried to force reboot and it automatically prompt 'Factory Data Reset... Restarting' (can refer to this Video example).

What I did next is hold the power button to attempt to do a manual reboot, but the touch screen doesn't seem to be working in that screen. I did another force reboot and it landed me into a boot screen saying the operating system is corrupted, I can opt to 'Try again' or 'Factory Reset'.. so I did a 'Try again' and once the enter PIN screen appears I quickly try to input my pin to go into home screen.. and I noticed there's no vibrator when I input my pin. Then the 'Factory Data Reset... Restarting' appear again.

I tried to flash boot, vendor_boot and dtbo via fastboot but the problem still occurs. I have my phone turned off now to see whether there's anything I can do from inputs from you guys.

Can you get into the bootloader? I would try flashing a raw firmware without wiping. If you restored the stock images and it still happens, the issue definitely goes beyond the kernel.

gouen1995

May 12, 2021
Can you get into the bootloader? I would try flashing a raw firmware without wiping. If you restored the stock images and it still happens, the issue definitely goes beyond the kernel.
Yes I can go into bootloader, it's not in a bootloop. The OS boots it just self initiate Factory Reset. I will try flashing raw firmware.

Yes I can go into bootloader, it's not in a bootloop. The OS boots it just self initiate Factory Reset. I will try flashing raw firmware.

Don't root before attempting to boot up. If there's a possibility it is a Magisk module, keeping them from running will allow them to be removed before reviving the problem.

To put this as directly as possible, it seems that Asus made some changes to the debug code in the last firmware update. It would not explain why a crash happens, but could explain why it isn't handled properly.

The waiting for ramdump, to the best of my debugging ability, is not the issue itself. It is actually the end result of a hang that results when something else causes a crash, but it locks up attempting to write that information to RAM for recovery. I would go so far as to guess it's actually being caused by disabling too many logs.

Either way, I will start working on a fix for logging and hopefully that will allow tracing the issue back and preventing it from happening in the future (or at least allow it to be fixed much faster than irony and guessing).

It seems like the issue is somewhere else, I flashed the raw firmware and It goes into a bootloop now.

If you are back to the stock recovery, there may be an option to fix apps in that menu (I forget if it was on this one or just my Samsung) that will clean up installed apps. It likely won't fix anything, but is definitely worth a shot. If the issue is some corrupt app, that could fix it.

Can you think of anything you might have installed or configured just before it started to happen? It most likely wouldn't be a casual app (ie. games, shopping apps, messengers, etc). It's more likely something that would change settings outside its own scope (kernel managers, root checkers, etc).

It should still be possible to use TWRP via the fastboot boot (image) to get some access to remove or wipe specific items. If you have any suspicions about one of the recent changes you made, this would be the best way to undo it outside the system.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obsolete post. Please disregard.
    Vegeta9000.gif

This kernel is (just barely a little) experimental. Use at your own risk.
    Feel free to skip past the first 5 pages when reading over this thread.​

This kernel assumes a few things about you, the user:

1. You have a ROG Phone 5
    2. You have read all warnings and instructions
    3. You are rooted (implying an unlocked bootloader)
    4. You have an installation method
    5. You have a backup boot image

Releases will be labeled with the commit hash of their source. The newest firmware is recommended for this kernel, but not necessarily required. I am not responsible for any issues or damage caused by installing this kernel, so have a backup ready before proceeding.

Skywalker Releases
    (Descending, By Date)​

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to kernel development.
    Specific credit is provided by maintaining accurate commit history.

[Thread Cleaned]

Please keep the conversation respectful and on-topic. Think to yourself: "Will this contribute to the development of this kernel?" before posting and we'll all be much happier. Any questions or concerns about this announcement can be voiced in my PM box. Just please let our devs work their magic and support them; it's the only way forward.

Stay safe!
    Timmy
    Forum Moderator
    Formatted my hard drive and installed Mojave. Hopefully whatever issues were on my end should get resolved by doing everything fresh.

Asus has also begun diagnosing the issue. Their support is horribly slow, but has at least agreed to investigate.

Asus has just released new firmware and source for V18.0840.2104.47

The next kernel release will require updating to V18.0840.2104.47