• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Kernel | Android 10 | One UI 2.5 | FUE5 | FUF5* ] BeastMode Kernel v2 for N960F | v2.04m | 20210726

Search This thread

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
Hi all,

It's ME again, being inactive for a few years due to my health conditions since Android Marshmallow! Today I would like to present you something I wanted for so long... an updated kernel for One UI 2.5! To be honest, I knew there were a lot of changes since MM, but not until these days I realized how troublesome they are, including rooting a device these days!! ( just rooted my N960F/DS running stock pie for more than a year ;) )
OK, here we go!!

This is an update to the BeastMode Kernel vR154 originally developed by @freeza and patched with latest Samsung One UI 2.5 kernel sources.

Some of the features from R154 include:
- enforcing kernel (switchable between enforcing/permissive)
- cpu/gpu oc
- dt2w (double tap to wake)
- wireguard support

However, due to my health conditions, I cannot spend too much time to update this kernel everyday although I am jobless, nor to have frequent updates as what @freeza did to his BeastMode Kernel. So please don't expect things will come very often. Thank you

Special notes for BeastMode Kernel v2 initial release:
- in the initial release (v2.02) there is no fix nor new feature added to the BeastMode Kernel vR154, as it servers as an update for new One UI 2.5 ROMs released by Samsung only
- for existing features, problems or solutions, please visit the original BeastMode Kernel thread by @freeza
- new features will be added in later releases

BeastMode Kernel v2:
- built with EVA GCC 12 and Proton Clang 13.0.0
- for cts profile/safetynet fix, please install the Universal SafetyNet Fix by @kdrag0n

Planned features:
- more IO schedulers
- more governors
- OC/UV
- f2fs

If you like this, please consider donating a loaf of bread or something to support my living or buy some treats for my old dog @ https://paypal.me/ykkfive ( I don't need coffee or beer :giggle: ). Thanks!

Important Notes:
if you are using a kernel manger, please go to here and see if you are affected

Downloads:
Changelog and downloads in post #2

Credits:
Big thanks to @freeza for allowing me to use his work and publish this update
Samsung open source
@evdenis
@yarpiin
@Da-BOSS

Source code:
github (pending)
N960FXXS8FUE5.patch.gz (patch file for updating vR154 to N960FXXS8FUE5)

Last edited:

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
NOTE: I am not responsible for bricked devices, loss of data, etc. Flash it with your OWN RISKS and ALWAYS DO A FULL BACKUP first

Changelog and Download (NO mirror please):

20210726 - v2.04m

- compatible with FUF5 (** may have problems if you use lockscreen or samsung account with possible fix here. ALWAYS do a full backup first)
- overclocked: cpu little to 2002000Mhz, gpu to 598000Mhz
- undervoltaged: cpu/memory
- gpu undervoltage
- linux upstreamed to 4.9.250
- cherry picked some kernel tweaks
- for further undervolting the gpu, you may go and read my settings here

Downloads:
BM-Kernel-v2.04m-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.04m (no root) - mediafire

Previous releases:

20210628 - v2.03
- added "magisk detected" BASIC fix to prevent apps trying to detect if magisk is installed (only some of the detections are prevented)
- you can see the difference by installing an app from google play store called "Дія" issued by Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
before applying fix
after fix applied

- for more info, please read:
https://darvincitech.wordpress.com/2019/11/04/detecting-magisk-hide/
- for a comprehensive solution (NOT TO BE SUPPORTED/DISCUSSED HERE):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-detected-on-bankapp-solved.4258245/
IMHO, if there's nothing bothering you, you can ignore this comprehensive solution atm. but of coz it's up to you

Downloads:
BM-Kernel-v2.03-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.03 (no root) - mediafire

20210621 - v2.02 (init release)
*** Special announcement for Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 - 20210623 ***
it seems there are some compatibility issues with Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 and this kernel, due to the fact that Q16 is based on N960FXXU8FUE1 while this kernel is N960FXXS8FUE5. As a result you may not be able to login to Samsung Account, or have cts profile/safetynet issue. So please MAKE A FULL BACKUP before proceed. more details later

- updated with N960FXXS8FUE5 sources
- tested with stock rom UE5, Dr Ketan Q16 with some patches
- working properly with DevBase 7.4 and Alexis ROM 2.8 from users feedbacks
*** make sure you have flashed N960FXXS8FUE5 AP, BL, modem etc

Downloads:
BM-Kernel-v2.02-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.02 (no root) - mediafire

Last edited:

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
Life battery? Sot?
Tested with Dr.Ketan Q16 ROM
need more time to test, just finished the release last nite
it should be the same with r154 however, unless samsung made some mistakes in the latest versions

from my 3 or 4 days experience, it's about 2-3% per nite in flight mode for around 17 to 20 hours
edit: on stock rom

were you on dr ketan q16 before? do you notice any difference?

Last edited:

JC1126

Apr 30, 2021
Works perfectly on ALEXNDR/DevBase v7.4, No Issues/Bug yet. So far so Good, I tried Gaming on it and it's Very Smooth on Stock Clocks, No unnecesarry Overheat and Drain, and even though I turned off Fast Charging it still Charge Fast. Great Work Dev!
1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 57

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
Works perfectly on ALEXNDR/DevBase v7.4, No Issues/Bug yet. So far so Good, I tried Gaming on it and it's Very Smooth on Stock Clocks, No unnecesarry Overheat and Drain, and even though I turned off Fast Charging it still Charge Fast. Great Work Dev!View attachment 5343821
credits to @freeza ( golden freeza? 😄 )

i only updated it to one ui 2.5, that's all for this initial release. perhaps the newer toolchains help too performance-wise

Detonatte

Jul 5, 2011
România
01. Open phone in TWRP
02. Wipe
03. Advanced Wipe
04. Mark:
- Dalvik ART/Cache
- Cache
05. Swipe to Wipe
06. Back
07. Back
08. Back home
09. Install
10. Select Storage
11. Micro SD card
12. OK
13. Choose
- BM-Kernel-v2.02-magisk_patched.zip
14. Swipe to confirm Flash
15. Wait to flash
16. Finish
17. No Reboot System !!!!
18. Back home
19. Install
20. Select Storage
21. Micro SD card
22. OK
23. Chose:
N960_F_DS_N_DrKetan_custom_ROM_Q16.zip
24. Swipe to confirm Flash
25. Next
26. Mark:
- I Agree with this Terms Of Use...
27. Next
28. Next
29. Next
30. Chose:
- Proceed with ROM flasher and MultiTool
31. Mark:
- Do Not Change
32. Next
33. Mark:
- Patch for OEM issue
34. Next
35. Mark: (CSC Flasher)
- Do Not Change
36. Next
37. Mark:
- Keep Existing Kernel
38. Next
39. Mod features
40. Mark:
- Fix For Custom Kernel
41. Next
42. Run Now
43. Wait to flash
44. Next
45. Finish
46. Wipe Cache/Dalvik
47. Swipe to Wipe
48. Reboot System

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
01. Open phone in TWRP
02. Wipe
03. Advanced Wipe
04. Mark:
- Dalvik ART/Cache
- Cache
05. Swipe to Wipe
06. Back
07. Back
08. Back home
09. Install
10. Select Storage
11. Micro SD card
12. OK
13. Choose
15. Wait to flash
16. Finish
18. Back home
19. Install
20. Select Storage
21. Micro SD card
22. OK
23. Chose:
25. Next
26. Mark:
27. Next
28. Next
29. Next
30. Chose:
31. Mark:
- Do Not Change
32. Next
33. Mark:
- Patch for OEM issue
34. Next
- Do Not Change
36. Next
37. Mark:
- Keep Existing Kernel
38. Next
39. Mod features
40. Mark:
- Fix For Custom Kernel
41. Next
42. Run Now
43. Wait to flash
44. Next
45. Finish
46. Wipe Cache/Dalvik
47. Swipe to Wipe
48. Reboot System
very detailed, thanks
it looks like the step are similar to mine, except that i didnt chose the fix for custom kernel. i will post my battery consumption later today

CyderXDA

Dec 20, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
01. Open phone in TWRP
02. Wipe
03. Advanced Wipe
04. Mark:
- Dalvik ART/Cache
- Cache
05. Swipe to Wipe
06. Back
07. Back
08. Back home
09. Install
10. Select Storage
11. Micro SD card
12. OK
13. Choose
15. Wait to flash
16. Finish
18. Back home
19. Install
20. Select Storage
21. Micro SD card
22. OK
23. Chose:
25. Next
26. Mark:
27. Next
28. Next
29. Next
30. Chose:
31. Mark:
- Do Not Change
32. Next
33. Mark:
- Patch for OEM issue
34. Next
- Do Not Change
36. Next
37. Mark:
- Keep Existing Kernel
38. Next
39. Mod features
40. Mark:
- Fix For Custom Kernel
41. Next
42. Run Now
43. Wait to flash
44. Next
45. Finish
46. Wipe Cache/Dalvik
47. Swipe to Wipe
48. Reboot System
could you try to apply netflix HD patch then try to watch a movie on it? I tried to watch but it takes too much time to load. Sorry for off-topic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BM-Kernel-v2.04m released

20210726 - v2.04m
    - compatible with FUF5 (** may have problems if you use lockscreen or samsung account with possible fix here. ALWAYS do a full backup first)
    - gpu under voltage
    - for further undervolting the gpu, you may refer to my initial safe settings below and adjust them by yourself. there are still rooms to undervolt, but it is suggested you do it bit by bit, and one by one and test the new voltage before next

gpu_voltage.jpg
    FYI, just tried new test build and still a no go. Couldn't even dirty flash back to get in ROM. Had to do a factory reset.
    my apology... i will remove the link then.
    which rom you are on? from what i have read most of the lockscreen problems can be fixed on the rom level . otherwise u may have to wait for samsung to release the latest sources

edit by the way you may follow the solution provided by @evdenis :

"You can reboot to TWRP, navigate to data/system and delete 3 files those names starts with 'lock'. Reboot. Login, set a new pin."
    note that the solution for samsung account didnt work for me unfortunately

original posted here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-kernel-s10-note10-v3-9.4063495/post-81959141
    v2.03 released
    - basic "magisk detected" fix
    NOTE

for those using kernel manger like hktweaks, mtweaks, etc:

if you have been playing around with the cpu page and turning on and off the cpu cores before
    AND
    if you have saved the settings in profile, please check your profile settings in those app by clicking on the menu in the profile page and select profile details to see if you are actually running with one or more cpu cores offline

if you find in the details something like below, then you have turned off one or more cores, ie you are not running with all cores online! look for a line looks like:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/xxxxxxxxxx/cpu/cpu7/online

0 means off, so the above command will turn off core 4 in m3 (cpu 0-3 refers to the little cores, 4-7 refers to the big cores)

i have checked by command these app will actually turn off the cpu core but just do not show them properly in the app, and have problems in turning the cores back online

remedies for normal users:
    - disable run at boot option and reboot (to let all cores online again)
    - re-apply the settings you have made before but DON'T touch the online/offline toggles
    - save as a new profile
    - check the profile details again and make sure you didnt bring any of them offline before applying auto start option

OR (just found out last nite)
    - click one the profile's menu, choose edit
    - select those unwanted item one by one in the list, and delete

good luck! 😄
    f2fs support is still further ahead or implemented?
    some problems for data partition causing boot loop , besides, i found that twrp 3.3.x produces some errors when formatting to f2fs. not recomended at this point
    but if you wish, you may try the twrp provided by whitewolf kernel, there's a n9 version
    Hi all,

It's ME again, being inactive for a few years due to my health conditions since Android Marshmallow! Today I would like to present you something I wanted for so long... an updated kernel for One UI 2.5! To be honest, I knew there were a lot of changes since MM, but not until these days I realized how troublesome they are, including rooting a device these days!! ( just rooted my N960F/DS running stock pie for more than a year ;) )
    OK, here we go!!

This is an update to the BeastMode Kernel vR154 originally developed by @freeza and patched with latest Samsung One UI 2.5 kernel sources.

Some of the features from R154 include:
    - enforcing kernel (switchable between enforcing/permissive)
    - cpu/gpu oc
    - dt2w (double tap to wake)
    - wireguard support

However, due to my health conditions, I cannot spend too much time to update this kernel everyday although I am jobless, nor to have frequent updates as what @freeza did to his BeastMode Kernel. So please don't expect things will come very often. Thank you

Special notes for BeastMode Kernel v2 initial release:
    - in the initial release (v2.02) there is no fix nor new feature added to the BeastMode Kernel vR154, as it servers as an update for new One UI 2.5 ROMs released by Samsung only
    - for existing features, problems or solutions, please visit the original BeastMode Kernel thread by @freeza
    - new features will be added in later releases

BeastMode Kernel v2:
    - built with EVA GCC 12 and Proton Clang 13.0.0
    - for cts profile/safetynet fix, please install the Universal SafetyNet Fix by @kdrag0n

Planned features:
    - more IO schedulers
    - more governors
    - OC/UV
    - f2fs

If you like this, please consider donating a loaf of bread or something to support my living or buy some treats for my old dog @ https://paypal.me/ykkfive ( I don't need coffee or beer :giggle: ). Thanks!

Important Notes:
    if you are using a kernel manger, please go to here and see if you are affected

Downloads:
    Changelog and downloads in post #2

Credits:
    Big thanks to @freeza for allowing me to use his work and publish this update
    Samsung open source
    @evdenis
    @yarpiin
    @Da-BOSS

Source code:
    github (pending)
    N960FXXS8FUE5.patch.gz (patch file for updating vR154 to N960FXXS8FUE5)
    NOTE: I am not responsible for bricked devices, loss of data, etc. Flash it with your OWN RISKS and ALWAYS DO A FULL BACKUP first

Changelog and Download (NO mirror please):

20210726 - v2.04m

- gpu undervoltage
    - for further undervolting the gpu, you may go and read my settings here

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.04m-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.04m (no root) - mediafire

Previous releases:

20210628 - v2.03
    - added "magisk detected" BASIC fix to prevent apps trying to detect if magisk is installed (only some of the detections are prevented)
    - you can see the difference by installing an app from google play store called "Дія" issued by Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
    before applying fix
    after fix applied

- for more info, please read:
    https://darvincitech.wordpress.com/2019/11/04/detecting-magisk-hide/
    - for a comprehensive solution (NOT TO BE SUPPORTED/DISCUSSED HERE):
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-detected-on-bankapp-solved.4258245/
    IMHO, if there's nothing bothering you, you can ignore this comprehensive solution atm. but of coz it's up to you

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.03-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.03 (no root) - mediafire

20210621 - v2.02 (init release)
    *** Special announcement for Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 - 20210623 ***
    it seems there are some compatibility issues with Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 and this kernel, due to the fact that Q16 is based on N960FXXU8FUE1 while this kernel is N960FXXS8FUE5. As a result you may not be able to login to Samsung Account, or have cts profile/safetynet issue. So please MAKE A FULL BACKUP before proceed. more details later

- updated with N960FXXS8FUE5 sources
    - tested with stock rom UE5, Dr Ketan Q16 with some patches
    - working properly with DevBase 7.4 and Alexis ROM 2.8 from users feedbacks
    *** make sure you have flashed N960FXXS8FUE5 AP, BL, modem etc

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.02-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.02 (no root) - mediafire

BM-Kernel-v2.04m released

20210726 - v2.04m
    - gpu under voltage
    - for further undervolting the gpu, you may refer to my initial safe settings below and adjust them by yourself. there are still rooms to undervolt, but it is suggested you do it bit by bit, and one by one and test the new voltage before next

gpu_voltage.jpg
    FYI, just tried new test build and still a no go. Couldn't even dirty flash back to get in ROM. Had to do a factory reset.
    my apology... i will remove the link then.
    which rom you are on? from what i have read most of the lockscreen problems can be fixed on the rom level . otherwise u may have to wait for samsung to release the latest sources

edit by the way you may follow the solution provided by @evdenis :

"You can reboot to TWRP, navigate to data/system and delete 3 files those names starts with 'lock'. Reboot. Login, set a new pin."
    note that the solution for samsung account didnt work for me unfortunately

original posted here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-kernel-s10-note10-v3-9.4063495/post-81959141
    yeah I know but it takes too long to load a movie and it even can't play
    sorry i cant do that for
    1 it might cause conflicts with others in your rom, can result in boot loop in the worse case
    2 i cant modify others' works

so better ask your rom developer to modify it if needed