• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Kernel | Android 10 | One UI 2.5 | FUF5] BeastMode Kernel v2 for N960F | v2.05a | 20210730

Search This thread

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
that's weird, as i said there might be some compatibility issues with Q16
i received feedbacks that there is no problem at all with other roms (UE5) like devbase or noble rom

as i mentioned Q16 is UE1 based but this kernel is based on UE5. so at the very beginning (it was on stock UE5 before) just after i flashed Q16 i noticed some problems. i remembered during Q16 installation the vendor partition has been overwritten by Q16's UE1 vendor.img, so i flashed UE5's vendor again (note it wiped the data partition). and since the system img of Q16 is also based on UE1, with all build.prop etc telling the system it is a UE1, that could played a part in the safetynet issue, so i replaced some of the files from UE5, till now it works properly

so, would you like to try replacing the files from UE5 and test again? else, and if you want to stick to Q16, then you may perhaps need to go back to his kernel. it's up to you

btw, which rom were you on before, UE1 or UE5? stock or custom rom?

Last edited:

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
What replacing? Ok, test again. What do u have to do?
i will give you a zip file later today, in the mean time, please do a complete backup, EVERTYING, including data and sdcard, efs, etc

btw, do you know how to get the logs with logcat? if so turn on your phone and idle for 5 mins and then send me the log

Last edited:

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
*#9900# run dumpstate/logcat and copy to external sdcard (include CP Rumpdump)

initial findings:

Bootloader: N960FXXS6ETG1
Radio: N960FXXS6ETF7,N960FXXS6ETF7

you didnt update bootload nor modem before?

i think you better flash an updated firmware , because older bootloader can cause problems, while older modem can cause loss in connectivity

but of coz, at this stage, may be you did not notice anything but as a normal user sometimes it's hard for them to see what's wrong. although they can still be used without major problems normally, an upgrade is suggested

Last edited:

ghembuls

May 26, 2015
Jakarta
Changelog:

20210621 - v2.02 (init release)
*** Special announcement for Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 - 20210623 ***
it seems there are some compatibility issues with Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 and this kernel, due to the fact that Q16 is based on N960FXXU8FUE1 while this kernel is N960FXXS8FUE5. As a result you may not be able to login to Samsung Account, or have cts profile/safetynet issue. So please MAKE A FULL BACKUP before proceed. more details later

- updated with N960FXXS8FUE5 sources
- tested with stock rom UE5, Dr Ketan Q16 with some patches
- working properly with DevBase 7.4 from feedbacks
*** make sure you have flashed N960FXXS8FUE5 AP, BL, modem etc

Downloads:
BM-Kernel-v2.02-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img (no root) - mediafire

Hello Dev

Your kernel is also compatible for Alexis ROM 2.8 OneUI 2.5 FUE5, thank you kindly.

20210626_033358.jpg

Detonatte

Jul 5, 2011
România
"you didnt update bootload nor modem before?"
NO! Only flash Q16! Your kernel is for version N960FXXS8FUE5 from June 3, 2021 and Q16 is with version N960FXXU8FUE1 from May 19, 2021. Dr.Ketan no update for last version :(

ykkfive

Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com
"you didnt update bootload nor modem before?"
NO! Only flash Q16! Your kernel is for version N960FXXS8FUE5 from June 3, 2021 and Q16 is with version N960FXXU8FUE1 from May 19, 2021. Dr.Ketan no update for last version :(
that's true. this kernel is based on a newer version than Q16, and this causes some problems for safetynet/cts profile

but as per instruction, u should install updated bootloader and modem according to dr ketan's. yours are quite outdated, but it doesnt necessary mean this can cause serious problems. however, it is suggested to follow the instructions laid down by the developers to ensure a proper setup

anyway it's up to you. i used to use an very outdated bootloader before without problems. so what do you want now? do you want to update the bl and modem first and see if problems get solved first or what?

Top Liked Posts

Now I migrated bm v2.02m + Alexis 2.8 combination. All seems decent for now. Still boeffla and double tap sections are missing. But it's okay.
    Here is the devchecks ram performance attachment. (on v2.02)

I am going to perform antutu and geekbench and post here.
    u mean 2.04m?

I am on v2.05

Ram performance is decreased, confirmed with doing devcheck comparison and antutu bench.

tap to wake and sleep options are gone.
    boeffla options are gone.

Accordig to Devcheck,

Cmemcopy: around 5000 Mb/s
    Cmemset: aroud 7500 Mb/s

on R154 these were 10000 MB/s and 15000 Mb/s respectively.

Cpu an GPU performance are good.

I am on Alexis 2.9 Note 9 SM N960F

And also the voltage table that given by dev is passed two full antutu bench. No crashes.
    i have did some tests today and yes, 2.02 is the fastest one, it was the original one without any "enhancements" in other aspects like cpu/gpu overclocking. it is not unusual that these enchancements can be beaten by the one without in terms of performance. it all depends on the usage, and more importantly everthing comes with a price. so you may find it at stock max speed outperforms an overclocked cpu due to the heat generated (which trigger the mechanism to lower the cpu freq as to cool it down). eg a 10 seconds task running with 2000Mhz may be better than 3 seconds with 2400mHz plus 7 seconds with 1700Mhz. you see what i mean? of coz, once again, it depends on the usage and the way of using it like benchmarking or daily use

anyway, thanks for your feedbacks, as well as others. without you guys' feedback i couldnt discover the bugs myself

also, i may consider to make an extreme version, which will be rebased on 2.02 with FUF5 but without any unneccessary changes for those who focus more on the speed due to different usage patterns if there are demands for it. but in general, 2.02 is still working fine with FUF5 except samsung account login issues for some users i believe

on the other hand, i will continue to cherry pick some useful changes to optimize it in general for the main stream version

thanks
    BM-Kernel-v2.04m released

20210726 - v2.04m
    - compatible with FUF5 (** may have problems if you use lockscreen or samsung account with possible fix here. ALWAYS do a full backup first)
    - overclocked: cpu little to 2002000Mhz, gpu to 598000Mhz
    - undervoltaged: cpu/memory
    - support gpu under voltage
    - linux upstreamed to 4.9.250
    - cherry picked some kernel tweaks
    - for undervolting the gpu, you may refer to my initial safe settings below and adjust them by yourself. there are still rooms to undervolt, but it is suggested you do it bit by bit, and one by one and test the new voltage before next

gpu_voltage.jpg
    FYI, just tried new test build and still a no go. Couldn't even dirty flash back to get in ROM. Had to do a factory reset.
    my apology... i will remove the link then.
    which rom you are on? from what i have read most of the lockscreen problems can be fixed on the rom level . otherwise u may have to wait for samsung to release the latest sources

edit by the way you may follow the solution provided by @evdenis :

"You can reboot to TWRP, navigate to data/system and delete 3 files those names starts with 'lock'. Reboot. Login, set a new pin."
    note that the solution for samsung account didnt work for me unfortunately

original posted here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-kernel-s10-note10-v3-9.4063495/post-81959141
    NOTE

for those using kernel manger like hktweaks, mtweaks, etc:

if you have been playing around with the cpu page and turning on and off the cpu cores before
    AND
    if you have saved the settings in profile, please check your profile settings in those app by clicking on the menu in the profile page and select profile details to see if you are actually running with one or more cpu cores offline

if you find in the details something like below, then you have turned off one or more cores, ie you are not running with all cores online! look for a line looks like:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/xxxxxxxxxx/cpu/cpu7/online

0 means off, so the above command will turn off core 4 in m3 (cpu 0-3 refers to the little cores, 4-7 refers to the big cores)

i have checked by command these app will actually turn off the cpu core but just do not show them properly in the app, and have problems in turning the cores back online

remedies for normal users:
    - disable run at boot option and reboot (to let all cores online again)
    - re-apply the settings you have made before but DON'T touch the online/offline toggles
    - save as a new profile
    - check the profile details again and make sure you didnt bring any of them offline before applying auto start option

OR (just found out last nite)
    - click one the profile's menu, choose edit
    - select those unwanted item one by one in the list, and delete

good luck! 😄
    f2fs support is still further ahead or implemented?
    some problems for data partition causing boot loop , besides, i found that twrp 3.3.x produces some errors when formatting to f2fs. not recomended at this point
    but if you wish, you may try the twrp provided by whitewolf kernel, there's a n9 version
    Couldn't get pass lockscreen after flashing v2.04m.
    fuf5? i personally dont use lockscreen
    let me try later today
    sorry and thanks

edit btw, i have a test build for addressing fuf5 compatiblility issues (link removed), see if you wanna give it a try
    Hi all,

It's ME again, being inactive for a few years due to my health conditions since Android Marshmallow! Today I would like to present you something I wanted for so long... an updated kernel for One UI 2.5! To be honest, I knew there were a lot of changes since MM, but not until these days I realized how troublesome they are, including rooting a device these days!! ( just rooted my N960F/DS running stock pie for more than a year ;) )
    OK, here we go!!

This is an update to the BeastMode Kernel vR154 originally developed by @freeza and patched with latest Samsung One UI 2.5 kernel sources.

Some of the features from R154 include:
    - enforcing kernel (switchable between enforcing/permissive)
    - cpu/gpu oc
    - dt2w (double tap to wake)
    - wireguard support

However, due to my health conditions, I cannot spend too much time to update this kernel everyday although I am jobless, nor to have frequent updates as what @freeza did to his BeastMode Kernel. So please don't expect things will come very often. Thank you

Special notes for BeastMode Kernel v2 initial release:
    - in the initial release (v2.02) there is no fix nor new feature added to the BeastMode Kernel vR154, as it servers as an update for new One UI 2.5 ROMs released by Samsung only
    - for existing features, problems or solutions, please visit the original BeastMode Kernel thread by @freeza
    - new features will be added in later releases

BeastMode Kernel v2:
    - built with EVA GCC 12 and Proton Clang 13.0.0
    - for cts profile/safetynet fix, please install the Universal SafetyNet Fix by @kdrag0n

Planned features:
    - more IO schedulers
    - more governors
    - OC/UV
    - f2fs

If you like this, please consider donating a loaf of bread or something to support my living or buy some treats for my old dog @ https://paypal.me/ykkfive ( I don't need coffee or beer :giggle: ). Thanks!

Important Notes:
    if you are using a kernel manger, please go to here and see if you are affected

Downloads:
    Changelog and downloads in post #2

Credits:
    Big thanks to @freeza for allowing me to use his work and publish this update
    Samsung open source
    @evdenis
    @yarpiin
    @Da-BOSS

Source code:
    github (pending)
    N960FXXS8FUE5.patch.gz (patch file for updating vR154 to N960FXXS8FUE5)
    NOTE: I am not responsible for bricked devices, loss of data, etc. Flash it with your OWN RISKS and ALWAYS DO A FULL BACKUP first

Known Issues:

20210730:
    (I) for version up to v2.05, the following features do not work as expected due to my mistakes

• Wake Gestures including double tap to wake (dt2w), swipe to wake (s2w), etc
    • Boeffla wakelocks
    These problems will be fixed in the next version soon.
    Please accept my sincere apology

(II) in v2.05 default gpu voltage may incorrectly show the modified values as default values in kernel manager

(III) since v2.04m the performance is not as good as v2.03 due to the introduction of some kernel changes

Changelog and Download (NO mirror please):

20210730 - v2.05a
    - Wake Gestures and Boeffla wakelocks problems fixed
    - no other changes, bugs fixing release of v2.05

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.05a-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.05a (no root) - mediafire

20210729 - v2.05
    - updated with Samsung FUF5 sources just released
    - no other changes
    - links REMOVED, superseded by v2.05a

20210726 - v2.04m
    - compatible with FUF5 (** may have problems if you use lockscreen or samsung account with possible fix here. ALWAYS do a full backup first)
    - gpu undervoltage support
    - for undervolting the gpu, you may go and read my settings here

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.04m-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.04m (no root) - mediafire

Previous releases:

20210628 - v2.03
    - added "magisk detected" BASIC fix to prevent apps trying to detect if magisk is installed (only some of the detections are prevented)
    - you can see the difference by installing an app from google play store called "Дія" issued by Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
    before applying fix
    after fix applied

- for more info, please read:
    https://darvincitech.wordpress.com/2019/11/04/detecting-magisk-hide/
    - for a comprehensive solution (NOT TO BE SUPPORTED/DISCUSSED HERE):
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-detected-on-bankapp-solved.4258245/
    IMHO, if there's nothing bothering you, you can ignore this comprehensive solution atm. but of coz it's up to you

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.03-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.03 (no root) - mediafire

20210621 - v2.02 (init release)
    *** Special announcement for Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 - 20210623 ***
    it seems there are some compatibility issues with Dr.Ketan ROM Q16 and this kernel, due to the fact that Q16 is based on N960FXXU8FUE1 while this kernel is N960FXXS8FUE5. As a result you may not be able to login to Samsung Account, or have cts profile/safetynet issue. So please MAKE A FULL BACKUP before proceed. more details later

- updated with N960FXXS8FUE5 sources
    - tested with stock rom UE5, Dr Ketan Q16 with some patches
    - working properly with DevBase 7.4 and Alexis ROM 2.8 from users feedbacks
    *** make sure you have flashed N960FXXS8FUE5 AP, BL, modem etc

Downloads:
    BM-Kernel-v2.02-magisk_patched.zip (pre-rooted with Magisk 23.0) - mediafire

boot.img v2.02 (no root) - mediafire

BM-Kernel-v2.04m released

20210726 - v2.04m
    - support gpu under voltage
    - for undervolting the gpu, you may refer to my initial safe settings below and adjust them by yourself. there are still rooms to undervolt, but it is suggested you do it bit by bit, and one by one and test the new voltage before next

gpu_voltage.jpg
    FYI, just tried new test build and still a no go. Couldn't even dirty flash back to get in ROM. Had to do a factory reset.
    my apology... i will remove the link then.
    which rom you are on? from what i have read most of the lockscreen problems can be fixed on the rom level . otherwise u may have to wait for samsung to release the latest sources

edit by the way you may follow the solution provided by @evdenis :

"You can reboot to TWRP, navigate to data/system and delete 3 files those names starts with 'lock'. Reboot. Login, set a new pin."
    note that the solution for samsung account didnt work for me unfortunately

original posted here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-kernel-s10-note10-v3-9.4063495/post-81959141
    yeah I know but it takes too long to load a movie and it even can't play
    sorry i cant do that for
    1 it might cause conflicts with others in your rom, can result in boot loop in the worse case
    2 i cant modify others' works

so better ask your rom developer to modify it if needed