[KERNEL] [Android 11] Dora kernel for OP7 series

Search This thread

AnnoyingZlatan

Jun 5, 2012
Tuzla
Hi Guys,
Just tried the Dora 1.1 and had some issues with no boot.
op7 pro running HavocOS 1.61 encrypted
twrp-3.4.0-10-guacamole-unified-Q-mauronofrio
Dirty flash over nem0 4.0

Phone booted to recovery and crashed with blank screen

fastboot with twrp-3.4.0-10-guacamole-unified-Q-mauronofrio.img
re-flashed nem0 4.0
Back to normal

Is this a known issue?
It's not an issue. Dora and Nemo aren't compatible. Dora is for A11 based roms, clearly stated in the OP of this thread.

AnnoyingZlatan

Jun 5, 2012
Tuzla
thanks. I'm wandering why the battery life is still fine🤣
Because those frequencies are more efficient than the lower ones. The performance gain is much higher than the power deficite (if that makes sense for you). We are getting the work done quicker so we spend less time drawing power. Besides that, the kernel will clock down to lowest frequencies once it goes to sleep so idle drain should still be fine.

Reactions: DMJHZ

AnnoyingZlatan

Jun 5, 2012
Tuzla
Hey everyone, we are back with the new v1.2 release and it's up on Google Drive! Still rocking relatively big updates so everyone is reccommended to jump on this one.
*As promised, from this update onwards, OTA integration has been done for FKM or Smartpack kernel manager (link for JSON will be down below in changelog)

Changelog since 1.1:
-Merge latest kernel tag from CAF: ("LE.UM.4.4.2.r1-03800-SDX55")
-Switch to VBSWAP instead of ZRAM (RAM boost off on OOS)
-zsmalloc/vmalloc/ZSWAP bringup and backports
-Fix broken proximity sensors on OP7/T variants
-Scheduler and PID map optimizations from Sultan
-Revert removal of LB_BIAS code
-Enable support for IORap
-Block few more userspace HAL's on OOS11
-More crypto code backports
*Integrate OTA updates in Franco's Karamel Manager (JSON)

stha.bimal37

• Nov 30, 2014
    OnePlus 7 Pro
    Hey everyone, we are back with the new v1.2 release and it's up on Google Drive! Still rocking relatively big updates so everyone is reccommended to jump on this one.
    *As promised, from this update onwards, OTA integration has been done for FKM or Smartpack kernel manager (link for JSON will be down below in changelog)

Changelog since 1.1:
    Well it feels like buttery smooth and blazing fast at same time. Will be checking on the battery. Keep up the good work bro!!

Reactions: AnnoyingZlatan

ashkan-khatar

• Dec 28, 2012
    Keqiao, Shaoxing

Changelog since 1.1:
    Everything is fast and snappy. Keep it up! Thanks!

Reactions: AnnoyingZlatan

AnnoyingZlatan

Jun 5, 2012
    Tuzla
    Hey everyone, we are back with the new v1.4 release and it's up on Google Drive and OTA! There is one major change from this release onwards so please read this so we can minimize the unecessary questions and errors.

From now there will be 2 versions per release: one with SDCARD_FS disabled (default) and one with it enabled (this was the case for all of the previous builds*) . Motivation behind this is recent updates to AOSP 11 ROMs (Yaap, Derp, etc.) that have disabled the support for it. And even though that builds with SDCARD_FS could still work, it's not recommended.

So, in layman terms, if you are running OOS or any custom ROM that still hasn't followed the path of Yaap and co., please use the sdcard-fs zip or update through OTA.

Please if you are not sure what version should be running, either ask here, or join our group on Telegram and you will get a response almost instantly.

For anyone who wants to know more about SDCARD_FS, read the following (this is a note from our group):
    /*
    Sdcardfs: To emulate something that the system would recognize as an sdcard but on internal storage, sdcardfs was brought on. Samsung developed sdcardfs and it was far more superior to Google's fuse implementation, because of less overhead and no double caching. Google implemented sdcardfs in Oreo.
    This is the default unless the maintainer switched it. Ask your maintainer for more info and if you have doubt, just flash this version of the kernel.

OOS 11 needs sdcardfs.

Non sdcardfs: In android 11 this is replaced with direct storage access with better speed, even less overhead, and more security. Hence some maintainers switched to it. So if you are sure your rom has dropped sdcardfs then use this version. Example: yaap, derp(except hotdog).
    */

And now that we have this out of the way, let's get down to more important stuff and that's the changelog since this is a pretty big update :D

Changelog:
    -Kernel upstreamed to 4.14.233
    -Merge latest CAF tag LAW.BR.5.1.r1-03800-89xx.0 treewide
    -Merge latest F2FS stable tag 5.13-rc2
    -Nuke sched_boost
    -Increase input boost for little cluster
    -Bump up scheduler migrations to reduce jitter
    -Minor camera patches from CAF
    -Revert GPU target frequency calculation algorithm from Sultan
    -Sync with latest LOS FOD changes
    -Scheduler backports and task placement optimizations
    -Rcu_work implementation
    -Bumped up schedutil down/up rate limit for better UX performance
    -Tons of other patches treewide (ion, thermal, workqueue, cgroup)
    -Built with latest Proton Clang 13

*This will still stay as the default for OTA since most of the folks here run OOS.

AnnoyingZlatan

Jun 5, 2012
    Tuzla
    I updated to v1.4 and I have a strange issue, whenever I use the fingerprint scanner the screen goes to max brightness regardless of my brightness settings, it's hard to use at night.
    Oh right. There is a new FOD implementation we are using now. Forgot to add a note aside the changelog. Anyway, for now either be patient since soon enough all custom roms (which I'd assume you are on and I'd be right) will switch to new implementation. Feel free to bug your local maintainer.

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
    I flashed the non sdcardfs version on OOS 11 and now I cant open a web browser nor will EX Kernel manager let me flash the sdcardfs version...

Can a kernel be flashed via fastboot/adb etc?

Should probably warn people in the OP to flash only sdcardfs version on OOS. (I didnt read 3 pages in to learn what sdcardfs was and still dont quite understand it)

Hw4ng3r

• I flashed the non sdcardfs version on OOS 11 and now I cant open a web browser nor will EX Kernel manager let me flash the sdcardfs version...

Can a kernel be flashed via fastboot/adb etc?

Should probably warn people in the OP to flash only sdcardfs version on OOS. (I didnt read 3 pages in to learn what sdcardfs was and still dont quite understand it)

If you made a backup of your kernel before you flashed Dora, then you can restore the back up (from EXKM) and problem solved;, but it sounds like you don't have a back up in EXKM.

If you have a backup of your magisk patched kernel, you can fastboot boot magisk_patched_boot.img then do a direct install from Magisk Manager.

OR

fastboot flash boot stock_boot.img (if you have the stock boot.img lying around; or use payload dumper and get it)

OR

Dirty flash/local upgrade your OOS 11 and "Direct install to inactive slot" from Magisk Manager to retain root.

Last edited:
    Reactions: mbj731

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hey everyone, we are back with the new 1.6 release and it's up on Google Drive and OTA! As promised, this update is performance improvement update with few s2idle patches for that sweet idle drain :D

Changelog since previous version:
      -Merge latest CAF tags LE.UM.5.4.2.r1-00100-QCS610.0, LA.UM.9.1.r1-10200-SMxxx0.0
      -Merge 4.14.235 upstream
      -Move and affine surfaceflinger to prime (this improves performance and gives us lower jitter)
      -Updated up/down scheduler rate limits for better freq utilisation
      -Set each cpu clock to max when waking up
      -Mark many kthreads as perf critical (rcu,mm,block)
      -Merge more rcu backports
      -Cgroup bringup
      -Genirq bringup
      -Lower max s2idle attempts (reduce number of freezes)
      -Add unified cmdline paramter for PD switching (recent LOS patch caused issues for some OOS users so that part of code will now be ignored if you flash kernel on OOS)

Enjoy!
      Hey everyone, we are back with the new major 1.5 release and it's up on Google Drive and OTA! Besides the big placebo changelog coming with this build, there is one major change introduced and that's the completely new frequency table we will be running. Contrary to the previous builds where we had full frequency table, now we are running much stripped down table with higher, more efficient frequencies. This improves performance and smoothness by a huge margin whilst keeping battery life same, if not improved. So if you decide to check what frequencies are being used, don't be worried if you see high frequencies in there, that's intentional. :D

Changelog since 1.4:

/*
      Major frequency table changes:
      *Switch to efficient frequencies table
      *Introduce simple MSM thermal driver
      *Tweak thermals (thanks to @RealJohnGalt)
      *Nuke input boosting and frequency configuration treewide
      */

-Merge latest CAF tags treewide LAW.BR.5.1.r1-04100-89xx.0, LE.UM.4.4.2.r1-04100-SDX55
      -Merge latest CAF tags LA.UM.9.12.r1-11500-SMxx50.0 for qcacld-3.0,
      qca-wifi-host-cmn and fw-api
      -Upstream to 4.14.234
      -Hardcode up/down sched margins and clean up unused sched code
      -DM backport optimizations
      -Cleanup pm_qos usage in mdss
      -Add few more interfaces to dummy houston driver to satisfy surfaceflinger more (thanks to @RealJohnGalt) - OOS performance improved
      -ipv6 backport otpimizations
      -Reintroduce s2idle with appropriate patches*
      -pm:Improve idle drain*
      -Silence down bunch of logging
      -scsi/ufs backports and optimizations
      -mm:merge in more backports
      -Revert problematic ambient display commits
      -Enable -O3 optimizations for vDSO compilation
      -kgsl: Add low priority worker thread
      -Revisit and patch up a lot of scheduler code (this should yield a decent improvement)
      -char/adsprpc: Revert recent CAF changes that were causing lot of spam in
      logcat (this will improve performance for anyone who was hit with this issue since it was really rough spam)

*This will improve idle drain a lot as well, with a risk of some hangups and freezes we had before. If you face anything, please report it and provide logs.

As always with the new stuff, flash ahead and test it. If you have any issues, join us in Telegram group!

Enjoy xx
      Latest test build has been going on great for me and my testers. I personally got for the first time ever 8h SOT with my regular usage 😃. Just one minor issue to rectify and will be posting an update here. Stay tuned!
      Big update coming tonight! Be ready :D
      Hey, in dora 1.2 changelog, there is that ram boost off on oos written.
      I kept it off since then but, can u explain what is that ram boost thing really do when turned on? And why u want it to be off. Thank you.
      It enables memory management services that oos uses and we don't. It won't hurt if you keep it enabled too since it won't do a thing anyway.
      Introduction

Dora kernel is a successor of popular nem0 kernel for A10/A11 ROMs.
      Dora Kernel is CAF based kernel aiming to provide great stability and performance while maxing out battery life!

Code:
      // Your warranty is now void.
      //
      // I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
      // Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Kernel before flashing it!
      // YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Main Features:
      - Unified for OOS 11 and Android 11 Custom ROMs (Check with your maintainer if they have R blobs merged in)
      - Based and upstreamed to latest CAF tags for the SD855
      - Upstreamed to latest Linux-Stable
      - Upstreamed to latest F2FS stable
      - Compiled with Clang 13 and -O3 speed optimizations flags
      - Compiled with Clang Polyhedral Loop Optimizations (Polly)
      - Simple LMK driver from kerneltoast
      - BBR TCP congestion algorithm
      - 675 MHz GPU step
      - Custom energy-freq scheduling model for maximizing performance and battery life
      - Custom frequencies setup (768/1056/1171 dropping to default minimums during idle)
      - S2idle suspend mechanism with patches from Google P4/P5 kernels
      - PELT scheduling mechanism
      - Many scheduler backports from mainline and/or 4.19 Google kernel
      - Zip made using latest AnyKernel3 release, retains root on flash (Stable Magisk 21.4 or higher reccommended)
      - Zip flashable through EXKM/FKM/Smartpack/TWRP
      -Integrated OTA updates in Franco's Kernel Manager *(link for the json: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nem0-z/dora_kernel_oneplus_sm8150/master/ota/update.json)
      - Many more features I don't remember right now, check source if you're interested or contact me on Telegram!

Bug reports:
      - If you want to report a bug, please provide some sort of logs (logcat, dmesg)

Flashing instructions:
      - Just flash it through TWRP or EX or Franco's Kernel Manager apps
      - No sorts of configs needed, flash and be happy out of the box
      -There are 2 versions per release: one with SDCARD_FS disabled (default) and one with it enabled. Motivation behind this is recent updates to AOSP 11 ROMs (Yaap, Derp, etc.) that have disabled the support for it. And even though that builds with SDCARD_FS could still work, it's not recommended.
      So, in layman terms, if you are running OOS or any custom ROM that still hasn't followed the path of those custom ROMs, please use the sdcard-fs zip or update through OTA.

Downloads

Stable and Test builds: Google Drive

Kernel being actively tested in this group: Telegram

Donations
      If you would like to keep this project going with more improvements, feel free to support it: PayPal

Thank you to:

@osm0sis for AnyKernel
      @nathanchance for help with upstreams
      @topjohnwu for Magisk
      @idkwhoiam322, @KuranKaname for being good friends :D
      @BobAzzon, @npv12, @Gabyrx7, @Reechings and rest of my dear friends that tested the kernel (really, wouldn't be possible without you guys <3)

Contributors
      nem0 aka AnnoyingZlatan
      Source Code: GitHub

Version Information
      Stable

Created 2021-05-01
      Last Updated 2021-05-01
      Hey everyone, we are back with the new 1.6 release and it's up on Google Drive and OTA! As promised, this update is performance improvement update with few s2idle patches for that sweet idle drain :D

Changelog since previous version:
      -Merge latest CAF tags LE.UM.5.4.2.r1-00100-QCS610.0, LA.UM.9.1.r1-10200-SMxxx0.0
      -Merge 4.14.235 upstream
      -Move and affine surfaceflinger to prime (this improves performance and gives us lower jitter)
      -Updated up/down scheduler rate limits for better freq utilisation
      -Set each cpu clock to max when waking up
      -Mark many kthreads as perf critical (rcu,mm,block)
      -Merge more rcu backports
      -Cgroup bringup
      -Genirq bringup
      -Lower max s2idle attempts (reduce number of freezes)
      -Add unified cmdline paramter for PD switching (recent LOS patch caused issues for some OOS users so that part of code will now be ignored if you flash kernel on OOS)

Enjoy!

Changelog since 1.1:
      Hey everyone, we are back with the new v1.4 release and it's up on Google Drive and OTA! There is one major change from this release onwards so please read this so we can minimize the unecessary questions and errors.

From now there will be 2 versions per release: one with SDCARD_FS disabled (default) and one with it enabled (this was the case for all of the previous builds*) . Motivation behind this is recent updates to AOSP 11 ROMs (Yaap, Derp, etc.) that have disabled the support for it. And even though that builds with SDCARD_FS could still work, it's not recommended.

So, in layman terms, if you are running OOS or any custom ROM that still hasn't followed the path of Yaap and co., please use the sdcard-fs zip or update through OTA.

Please if you are not sure what version should be running, either ask here, or join our group on Telegram and you will get a response almost instantly.

For anyone who wants to know more about SDCARD_FS, read the following (this is a note from our group):
      /*
      Sdcardfs: To emulate something that the system would recognize as an sdcard but on internal storage, sdcardfs was brought on. Samsung developed sdcardfs and it was far more superior to Google's fuse implementation, because of less overhead and no double caching. Google implemented sdcardfs in Oreo.
      This is the default unless the maintainer switched it. Ask your maintainer for more info and if you have doubt, just flash this version of the kernel.

OOS 11 needs sdcardfs.

Non sdcardfs: In android 11 this is replaced with direct storage access with better speed, even less overhead, and more security. Hence some maintainers switched to it. So if you are sure your rom has dropped sdcardfs then use this version. Example: yaap, derp(except hotdog).
      */

And now that we have this out of the way, let's get down to more important stuff and that's the changelog since this is a pretty big update :D

Changelog:
      -Kernel upstreamed to 4.14.233
      -Merge latest CAF tag LAW.BR.5.1.r1-03800-89xx.0 treewide
      -Merge latest F2FS stable tag 5.13-rc2
      -Nuke sched_boost
      -Increase input boost for little cluster
      -Bump up scheduler migrations to reduce jitter
      -Minor camera patches from CAF
      -Revert GPU target frequency calculation algorithm from Sultan
      -Sync with latest LOS FOD changes
      -Scheduler backports and task placement optimizations
      -Rcu_work implementation
      -Bumped up schedutil down/up rate limit for better UX performance
      -Tons of other patches treewide (ion, thermal, workqueue, cgroup)
      -Built with latest Proton Clang 13

*This will still stay as the default for OTA since most of the folks here run OOS.
      Hey everyone, we are back with the new major 1.5 release and it's up on Google Drive and OTA! Besides the big placebo changelog coming with this build, there is one major change introduced and that's the completely new frequency table we will be running. Contrary to the previous builds where we had full frequency table, now we are running much stripped down table with higher, more efficient frequencies. This improves performance and smoothness by a huge margin whilst keeping battery life same, if not improved. So if you decide to check what frequencies are being used, don't be worried if you see high frequencies in there, that's intentional. :D

Changelog since 1.4:

/*
      Major frequency table changes:
      *Switch to efficient frequencies table
      *Introduce simple MSM thermal driver
      *Tweak thermals (thanks to @RealJohnGalt)
      *Nuke input boosting and frequency configuration treewide
      */

-Merge latest CAF tags treewide LAW.BR.5.1.r1-04100-89xx.0, LE.UM.4.4.2.r1-04100-SDX55
      -Merge latest CAF tags LA.UM.9.12.r1-11500-SMxx50.0 for qcacld-3.0,
      qca-wifi-host-cmn and fw-api
      -Upstream to 4.14.234
      -Hardcode up/down sched margins and clean up unused sched code
      -DM backport optimizations
      -Cleanup pm_qos usage in mdss
      -Add few more interfaces to dummy houston driver to satisfy surfaceflinger more (thanks to @RealJohnGalt) - OOS performance improved
      -ipv6 backport otpimizations
      -Reintroduce s2idle with appropriate patches*
      -pm:Improve idle drain*
      -Silence down bunch of logging
      -scsi/ufs backports and optimizations
      -mm:merge in more backports
      -Revert problematic ambient display commits
      -Enable -O3 optimizations for vDSO compilation
      -kgsl: Add low priority worker thread
      -Revisit and patch up a lot of scheduler code (this should yield a decent improvement)
      -char/adsprpc: Revert recent CAF changes that were causing lot of spam in
      logcat (this will improve performance for anyone who was hit with this issue since it was really rough spam)

*This will improve idle drain a lot as well, with a risk of some hangups and freezes we had before. If you face anything, please report it and provide logs.

As always with the new stuff, flash ahead and test it. If you have any issues, join us in Telegram group!

Enjoy xx