[KERNEL] [Android 12] [v12.9] MVK - Maximum Velocity Kernel

Search This thread

nowster

Dec 30, 2012
You must use massive amounts of really memory heavy apps. Good thing about building your own though is you can change whatever your like.
Definite improvement in app stability using Android Auto + Maps + Podcast/Radio players together after going back to v11.12 (with the October 2021 security update).

I'll have to look into what the differences are in the ZRAM config between the two and report back on my findings.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Its almost certainly not Zram related.....if anything its the memory management commits (mm repo). All the zram stuff is better compression and usage related.

ashatter

Oct 10, 2012
Definite improvement in app stability using Android Auto + Maps + Podcast/Radio players together after going back to v11.12 (with the October 2021 security update).

I'll have to look into what the differences are in the ZRAM config between the two and report back on my findings.
I do use a few memory heavy app simultaneously during my day. Each of them takes 300mb - 800mb. Could you share your build when you figure out everything?

Last edited:

ashatter

Oct 10, 2012
I need to have hours of phone call everyday lately. I may not be able to test. What I experienced was I can only run about 2 memory heavy app simultaneously even with 11.12. I think it was even worse around 11.09 or prior. The IM app in the background with ongoing voice call would be killed right after I start scrolling in the third memory heavy app (online shopping app). Note: I already have 2 memory heavy IM app running in the background.

Last edited:

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
If the issue goes back that far its not likely anything Ive changed. Ive honestly never seen apps close during use no matter what I use, but I dont try running games or other heavy memory apps during calls. What does the memory use show on your phone for the last day? Im always around 2.8G regardless of what I do.

ashatter

Oct 10, 2012
I just test a bit. My Via browser, which has just this page open, was closed in the background when I still have about 1.2G of free ram (I found that in developer options). I was having 2 apps which consume 700mb - 800mb of ram running. I'm with 11.12 now.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Something else is going on then. Are you running stock? Any mods or other programs that change these types of settings?

ashatter

Oct 10, 2012
I always use stock. I changed some cpu schedule stuff and disabled io statistic. I don't have any memory management related changes.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Looks like Android 12 is finally available for these so I guess its time to start over. Hopefully building for 12 isnt any more complex than 11.

WOW is 12 different.... This is the first time flashing it for me. I never tried a preview or beta build. This looks like a Samsung or iPhone now. Not sure I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nowster

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Look what I found

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-141914.png
    Screenshot_20211020-141914.png
    117 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: ashatter

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
I ran into some issues with the update I need to sort out so it will be a bit longer. I hope I dont have to start completely over.

aeldeyr

Oct 3, 2016

p.s. sorry for bold, my PC does not allow me to make text normal for some reason

v11.13.1 Works for me on android 12, the only unusual thing is that it would not boot from the first attempt after the update.

My path (skipping obvious things, like enabling USB debugging):

1) starting with: sargo, Android 11, MVK 11.12+magisk, unlocked bootloader
2) OTA update to Android 12
3) reboot, all works, no magisk, no root, all stock
4) reboot to bootloader
5) fastboot boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img, first time fails when loading

6) repeat: fastboot boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img (without booting to stock kernel using power+down combo)
7) Booted correctly to the main screen
8) adb reboot bootloader
9) fastboot flash boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img
10) first time fails when loading
11) just wait for the reboot, looks like a boot loop, but it is not
12) all good, Android 12, MVK 11.13.1+magisk, unlocked bootloader
13) update magisk from the Magisk Manager (Canary channel)
14) same double (or ever three times?) reboot
15) final: Android 12, MVK 11.13.1+magisk23001. All major functionally seem to be fine: phone, camera, wi-fi, Bluetooth.

In addition, all of my magisk packages seem to survive and work correctly

Last edited:

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota

p.s. sorry for bold, my PC does not allow me to make text normal for some reason

v11.13.1 Works for me on android 12, the only unusual thing is that it would not boot from the first attempt after the update.

My path (skipping obvious things, like enabling USB debugging):

1) starting with: sargo, Android 11, MVK 11.12+magisk, unlocked bootloader

2) OTA update to Android 12

3) reboot, all works, no magisk, no root, all stock

4) reboot to bootloader

5) fastboot boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img, first time fails when loading

6) repeat: fastboot boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img (without booting to stock kernel using power+down combo)

7) Booted correctly to the main screen

8) adb reboot bootloader

9) fastboot flash boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img

10) first time fails when loading

11) just wait for the reboot, looks like a boot loop, but it is not

12) all good, Android 12, MVK 11.13.1+magisk, unlocked bootloader

13) update magisk from the Magisk Manager (Canary channel)

14) same double (or ever three times?) reboot

15) final: Android 12, MVK 11.13.1+magisk23001. All major functionally seem to be fine: phone, camera, wi-fi, Bluetooth.

In addition, all of my magisk packages seem to survive and work correctly

What Im running into now is videos dont play smoothly.

aeldeyr

Oct 3, 2016
What Im running into now is videos dont play smoothly.
Did not notice any stuttering for 720px30fps web stream (youtube/via/VLC) and 1080px30fps from the camera, even in x2 speed.

Tried switching to the stock WebView and resetting all flags to default, because I use Dev WebView with flags that could mask the issue:
-vulkan
-surface control
-Zero Copy
-Accelerate small canvas

, but everything seems to be fine without them

Maybe try disabling all magisk modules first? Some of them, especially "optimization"-related are often too aggressive

Also on some old kernels back to the LineageOS days, resetting the g-apps-services-related caches often helped solve half of the upgrade issues...

Last edited:

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
There is definitely an issue with playing videos. YouTube, YouTube TV, Prime video, etc all stall and play choppy. This is with any version of mvk on official Android 12, not a beta.

I don't use magisk modules, let alone while testing. The only thing that solves this is using the stock kernel.

I'm currently starting completely over from clean source to try to pinpoint this issue so it will take a while.

aeldeyr

Oct 3, 2016
There is definitely an issue with playing videos. YouTube, YouTube TV, Prime video, etc all stall and play choppy. This is with any version of mvk on official Android 12, not a beta.

I don't use magisk modules, let alone while testing. The only thing that solves this is using the stock kernel.

I'm currently starting completely over from clean source to try to pinpoint this issue so it will take a while.
I have started from the official Android 12 from System->System update.
Unless there is a difference between"Android 11->Android 12" and "Android 12 from scratch", v11.13.1 should work.

I remembered one more thing, that might be important...
After
7) Booting correctly to the main screen with MVK
I flashed EX Kernel using EX Kernel Manager (don't ask why),
then rebooted, loaded to the main screen with the EX Kernel,
noticed there is no Magisk
and only here went to
8) adb reboot + fastboot flash MVK

If you need any logs/additional info that might help you debugging the issue, I'm ready to gather and send it

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those familiar with Velocity Rom this is the kernel I build for it. Velocity hasnt been on XDA as a rule so Im sure not many are familiar. Velocity is my personal Rom Ive been building for years and have shared with all that are interested. This isnt and will never be an "official development project" but will always exist as long as I continue to develop Android roms.

Velocity is focussed on speed, stability, and efficiency and not on adding every imaginable feature. As this is my personal Rom it will have everything I deem useful to me and/or that doesnt compromise the goals of the project.

I dont add every conceivable governor, I/O scheduler, or other user tweakable options. In fact, I typically remove all the options and keep the best. This is designed as a plug and play kernel, not something to be changed. Its also not designed for other Roms.

Please do not ask for features, ETA's, or related. Again, this is my personal kernel for my personal Rom and will be shared accordingly. That said, I do encourage healthy, friendly dialog in my threads.

Flashing instructions
    1) Reboot to bootloader
    2) Fastboot boot 'bootimage_name'.img to make sure it boots with no issues
    3) Reboot to bootloader again
    4) Fastboot flash boot 'bootimage_name'.img
    5) Buckle up for safety - optional of course

Changelog

Download

Source
    New build time. I just spent the last month rebasing and rebuilding this. Everything was rethought, tested, and only kept if it objectively and subjectively improved either performance or efficiency. This is up to date with the latest AOSP and Linux kernel sources. This is built off January security but "should" work on older builds as well.

See changelog for changes and enjoy.
    New build time.....you know the drill.
    Ok, v10.22 is up. This is a much improved, simplified build vs 10.21. I will continue to add, change, tweak, and experiment with things that improve this kernel but Ill never stray too far from my main principles of speed, efficiency, and stability. This is for March security only. Flash over anything else at your own risk.
    New build up. See changelog.......This works on both November and December builds.