[KERNEL] [Android 11] [v11.7] MVK - Maximum Velocity Kernel

Search This thread

nowster

Dec 30, 2012
Feedback on what?
How I find it?

I do still have lock-ups every few days even with the f2fs patch. There's probably some deeper deadlock happening inside a Magisk module. However, it's possible to reboot it using the standard mechanisms rather than having to resort to the 10 second power button hold "hard reboot".

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
No idea.....never experienced what you describe but Magisk is a hack to make root work, not a normal part of the kernel design. If someone comes out with something to improve this and it doesnt affect kernel use in normal circumstances Ill add it but Im definitely not chasing phantoms, especially for something as optional as using Magisk. I only use it for root and systemless hosts. Anything beyond that is almost certainly a Magisk or module developer issue.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
v11.6 is up. This was as rebase vs a simple merge as the March ASB had a lot of changes on the kernel side. I havent tested this on anything but the March build so not sure if it will work on Feb or earlier.

Also, just as a reminder, this kernel is built for and from stock AOSP source and as such is likely not compatible with any build(s) apart from stock.

Reactions: nowster

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Note to self: restore original boot.img before attempting to sideload an OTA update. Signing keys won't match.
Yes, took me a while to figure that one out. I couldnt figure out why it would alsways fail part way through until I did some deeper digging and realized you can update when youre on a modified boot.img.

This is my first Pixel (only owned Nexii prior to this) and I didnt realize how fussy doing anything was with these. I really wish Google would give users the option of turning off/removing some of these security safeguards as it would make life much easier. Oh well, guess this is just the new normal for me now.

Reactions: d_ramos

linucksrox

Nov 24, 2009
I upgraded to the latest Android 11 March patch and then installed this kernel (11.6). I can boot fine with the unpatched version, but the patched version doesn't boot and goes back to the bootloader saying "no valid slot to boot." I have tried running `adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules` which still doesn't help.

I also tried `adb wait-for-device shell magiskboot status` which returned that it didn't have root permission.

Flashing the unpatched MVK kernel works

What else can I try to troubleshoot this issue?

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
I upgraded to the latest Android 11 March patch and then installed this kernel (11.6). I can boot fine with the unpatched version, but the patched version doesn't boot and goes back to the bootloader saying "no valid slot to boot." I have tried running `adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules` which still doesn't help.

I also tried `adb wait-for-device shell magiskboot status` which returned that it didn't have root permission.

Flashing the unpatched MVK kernel works

What else can I try to troubleshoot this issue?

I mean the simplest option is to just patch the "unpatched" boot yourself via Magisk and then flash the patched version, or just do a direct instal via Magisk and reboot.

My guess is there is some issue with how its being flashed. You can attempt to flash the magisk version using

fastboot flash boot_a (or boot_b depending one what the current slot is).

linucksrox

Nov 24, 2009
Thanks @ctfrommn I did try patching myself and wound up with the exact bit for bit patched kernel as what was on androidfilehost. I also tried flashing boot_a and boot_b before booting (though right now it's using boot_b) but that didn't seem to make any difference.
From what I can guess, there's probably some issue with a magisk module that is failing to load, but I just wasn't sure if there was a good way to troubleshoot that. Maybe it would be helpful to open a Magisk issue on Github, because obviously your kernel build works fine for everyone else.

nowster

Dec 30, 2012
I suspect the most recent update (22004) to Magisk Canary has fixed a few things to do with logging that were causing lockups which needed soft reboots to fix. I'm at 49 hours uptime so far.

(Running the MVH v11.7_r2 candidate that I compiled myself to include wireguard.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    v11.7 is up. No kernel changes from Android this month but the normal Linux and Clang updates are present. Plus, Wireguard added back.
    Your "in progress" v11.7_r3 is looking good. And you're adding WireGuard! 👍
    For those familiar with Velocity Rom this is the kernel I build for it. Velocity hasnt been on XDA as a rule so Im sure not many are familiar. Velocity is my personal Rom Ive been building for years and have shared with all that are interested. This isnt and will never be an "official development project" but will always exist as long as I continue to develop Android roms.

Velocity is focussed on speed, stability, and efficiency and not on adding every imaginable feature. As this is my personal Rom it will have everything I deem useful to me and/or that doesnt compromise the goals of the project.

I dont add every conceivable governor, I/O scheduler, or other user tweakable options. In fact, I typically remove all the options and keep the best. This is designed as a plug and play kernel, not something to be changed. Its also not designed for other Roms.

Please do not ask for features, ETA's, or related. Again, this is my personal kernel for my personal Rom and will be shared accordingly. That said, I do encourage healthy, friendly dialog in my threads.

Flashing instructions
    1) Reboot to bootloader
    2) Fastboot boot 'bootimage_name'.img to make sure it boots with no issues
    3) Reboot to bootloader again
    4) Fastboot flash boot 'bootimage_name'.img
    5) Buckle up for safety - optional of course

Changelog

Download

Source
    New build time. I just spent the last month rebasing and rebuilding this. Everything was rethought, tested, and only kept if it objectively and subjectively improved either performance or efficiency. This is up to date with the latest AOSP and Linux kernel sources. This is built off January security but "should" work on older builds as well.

See changelog for changes and enjoy.
    New build time.....you know the drill.
    Ok, v10.22 is up. This is a much improved, simplified build vs 10.21. I will continue to add, change, tweak, and experiment with things that improve this kernel but Ill never stray too far from my main principles of speed, efficiency, and stability. This is for March security only. Flash over anything else at your own risk.
    New build up. See changelog.......This works on both November and December builds.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone