• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL] [Android 12] [v12.1] MVK - Maximum Velocity Kernel

Search This thread

oiphal

Jun 19, 2012
Out of curiosity, if I wanted to compile those with a newer version of zstd for the zram kernel module, how difficult would that be? I have a Linux box and know how to compile in general. I found the library location, do I need to do anything other than put zstd 1.5.0's library in there?
(I'm a developer but not of androids and have been messing with zstd for work. The newer versions have some pretty impressive performance improvements, as the author seems to have moved focus from lzma entirely to zstd. Lzma seems to just be yearly bug fixes while zstd has had performance improvements every coupe of months)?

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
No idea TBH.....Ive never heard of zstd or whether you can use it on an Android kernel. That would probably be a good question i nthe developer section.

Reactions: oiphal

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Just an FYI to all.....I am most likely getting the 5a when its available and will be moving on from the 3a XL and as such no longer developing for it.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
v11.13 is up......no AOSP kernel changes but a TON of additions on my side. This is significantly better performing now as well as improved battery life.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Android 12 build coming soon.....tomorrow most likely.

Edit: I ran into some issues with the update I need to sort out so it will be a bit longer. I hope I dont have to start completely over.

Last edited:

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Were up to test build 6 now and this is probably a mature, release ready build at this point. Ive had zero issues with any of these builds but have just been adding things back. I will probably release v12.1 official in the next few days but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend using test 6 as a daily driver.

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
Were up to test build 6 now and this is probably a mature, release ready build at this point. Ive had zero issues with any of these builds but have just been adding things back. I will probably release v12.1 official in the next few days but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend using test 6 as a daily driver.
Hey man is there any chance you might make your way over to the pixel 5 area?? Definitely would enjoy to have your kernel again

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
I don't build for what I don't own anymore unfortunately. It's just too much work anymore.

That said, I plan to get a 5a so if it's similar enough I might.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
v12.1 is finally done and up. This is intended for Android 12 only. This is a complete rebase from clean Android 12 source. As such, some things are new, some things are changed, & some old things are gone but in the end this still follows the MVK principles of maximum performance while maintaining better than stock battery life and complete stability.

Happy flashing!

Reactions: john091

john091

Dec 3, 2020
v12.1 is finally done and up. This is intended for Android 12 only. This is a complete rebase from clean Android 12 source. As such, some things are new, some things are changed, & some old things are gone but in the end this still follows the MVK principles of maximum performance while maintaining better than stock battery life and complete stability.

Happy flashing!
work on both Oct & Nov factory image ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Happy flashing!
    For those familiar with Velocity Rom this is the kernel I build for it. Velocity hasnt been on XDA as a rule so Im sure not many are familiar. Velocity is my personal Rom Ive been building for years and have shared with all that are interested. This isnt and will never be an "official development project" but will always exist as long as I continue to develop Android roms.

Velocity is focused on speed, stability, and efficiency and not on adding every imaginable feature. As this is my personal Rom it will have everything I deem useful to me and/or that doesnt compromise the goals of the project.

I dont add every conceivable governor, I/O scheduler, or other user tweakable options. In fact, I typically remove all the options and keep the best. This is designed as a plug and play kernel, not something to be changed. Its also not designed for other Roms.

Please do not ask for features, ETA's, or related. Again, this is my personal kernel for my personal Rom and will be shared accordingly. That said, I do encourage healthy, friendly dialog in my threads.

Flashing instructions
    1) Reboot to bootloader
    2) Fastboot boot 'bootimage_name'.img to make sure it boots with no issues
    3) Reboot to bootloader again
    4) Fastboot flash boot 'bootimage_name'.img
    5) Buckle up for safety - optional of course

Changelog

Download

Source
    v10.10 is up.

If anyone wants a non rooted boot.img I can definitely upload that as well. It seems many with this device have no interest in rooting it.
    v10.23 is up. This works on both March and April security. See changelog as usual for detailed changes.

I hope everyone is staying safe during this time. Android development is awesome but during times like this it really puts into perspective how insignificant it is. My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who has been affected by this outbreak. Whether physically, financially, or just struggling with the current new normal and isolation which is so tough for so many. We will triumph and it will be a triumph earned together as one global community.

Be well, stay safe, and happy flashing!!
    New day, new build. This one is definitely faster than previous ones.
    Ok, so after updating to the s3 OTA and getting back on the stock kernel its making me rethink how I approached this. Im going to redo everything starting from fresh stock base. Im going to be extremely particular about what I add/change.

The battery life on stock is at least as good as MVK and the cores seem much better behaved. As this is all new to me (64 bit kernel development) this isnt that unexpected, especially for any of you that know me. Im ever tinkering and perfecting everything I make. Expect v10.9 and beyond to be a much better product. This will likely take me a couple days to get an initial (again) build.

I think simply backporting everything from upstream (even official Linux) isnt the best idea. There is a reason Google stopped at 4.9.165 and added select backports. Rest assured I will be backporting a ton of stuff but it wont just be blindly, assuming its better.

Rom development is still a ways off for everyone it appears so for now all my focus will be on building the best kernel possible.

More info to come.......