[KERNEL] [Android 12] [v12.5] MVK - Maximum Velocity Kernel

Search This thread

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Sorry, I misspoke....Techpack are files needed, not a module. That is the repo they come from though. They're in my 12 source, they're just ignored and not pushed.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
v12.2 is up. This is another massive rework including updated, simplified optimizations, removal of tons of commits that werent helpful (or were harmful) to performance, and many other changes. This performs significantly better and battery life (especially idle drain) is also much better.

Side note.....due to temporary circumstances I will be sticking with the 3a XL for now and will look at updating next year at some point so this kernel will be full steam ahead for now.

NinjaCoool

Sep 23, 2013
Zenfone 2 Laser
Google Pixel 3a
v12.2 is up. This is another massive rework including updated, simplified optimizations, removal of tons of commits that werent helpful (or were harmful) to performance, and many other changes. This performs significantly better and battery life (especially idle drain) is also much better.

Side note.....due to temporary circumstances I will be sticking with the 3a XL for now and will look at updating next year at some point so this kernel will be full steam ahead for now.

Works good on my Pixel 3a! Non-rooted and running Naptime.

quan2812

Mar 26, 2021

p.s. sorry for bold, my PC does not allow me to make text normal for some reason

v11.13.1 Works for me on android 12, the only unusual thing is that it would not boot from the first attempt after the update.

My path (skipping obvious things, like enabling USB debugging):

1) starting with: sargo, Android 11, MVK 11.12+magisk, unlocked bootloader

2) OTA update to Android 12

3) reboot, all works, no magisk, no root, all stock

4) reboot to bootloader

5) fastboot boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img, first time fails when loading

6) repeat: fastboot boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img (without booting to stock kernel using power+down combo)

7) Booted correctly to the main screen

8) adb reboot bootloader

9) fastboot flash boot MVK_Sargo_v11.13.1_magisk_patched.img

10) first time fails when loading

11) just wait for the reboot, looks like a boot loop, but it is not

12) all good, Android 12, MVK 11.13.1+magisk, unlocked bootloader

13) update magisk from the Magisk Manager (Canary channel)

14) same double (or ever three times?) reboot

15) final: Android 12, MVK 11.13.1+magisk23001. All major functionally seem to be fine: phone, camera, wi-fi, Bluetooth.

In addition, all of my magisk packages seem to survive and work correctly

Can I ask you? After update OTA my bootloader is locked or unlocked?
Ps: I unlock bootloader and update OTA after that.

nowster

Dec 30, 2012
I've had a few spontaneous framework reboots with 12.2 (back to Google logo without going through bootloader) due to OOM conditions. It killed the net process running DNS lookups.

Extract from tombstone:

Code:
Cmdline: /system/bin/netd
pid: 22634, tid: 9757, name: Dns_101_10234  >>> /system/bin/netd <<<
uid: 0
signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -1 (SI_QUEUE), fault addr --------
Abort message: 'terminating with uncaught exception of type NSt3__112system_errorE: thread constructor failed: Out of memory'

I've gone back to December 2021 stock for the moment (even though it has glitchy video).

tt_rockt

Oct 14, 2015
Google Pixel 3a
I wish you a happy new yeah. Lets do another round around the sun. Oh yeeah, I am glad, that you will go on with this great kernel. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

blksith0

Aug 10, 2008
So how does the installation process fit-in with flashing a magisk-patched boot.img? What's the proper order of operations there?

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Its in the OP, but basically.......

abd reboot bootloader
fastboot flash boot "full kernel name"
fastboot reboot

Thats really al it is, no different than flashing any boot image

@ctfrommn Hi, it looks like your MVK_Sargo_v12.3_magisk_patched.img isn't actually patched with magisk. When i look into magisk, it says uninstalled, but the kernel itself is installed when i check with EX kernel manager.

I've also tried patching your kernel boot img with magisk, but no luck.

Edit: same with MVK_Sargo_v12.2_magisk_patched.img

Last edited:

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
@ctfrommn Hi, it looks like your MVK_Sargo_v12.3_magisk_patched.img isn't actually patched with magisk. When i look into magisk, it says uninstalled, but the kernel itself is installed when i check with EX kernel manager.

I've also tried patching your kernel boot img with magisk, but no luck.

Edit: same with MVK_Sargo_v12.2_magisk_patched.img
I just flashed that build and it's definitely rooted so something is going on on your end.

Reactions: Roarmaster
I just flashed that build and it's definitely rooted so something is going on on your end.
Yes, you're right. Before flashing your kernel image, i was on magisk canary. It seems that i cant go back to stable magisk for some reason. I tried patching the latest stock jan sargo boot.img from google with magisk stable (23) and it doesnt work either.

I also tried flashing the entire stock factory image without wiping and i still cant install magisk stable (23). Look's like im stuck on magisk canary for now.

Edit: It looks like patching your 12.3 img works with magisk canary. In retrospect, to get magisk stable working, i probably had to uninstall magisk canary through the magisk app first before flashing magisk stable. Thanks!

Just use the unpatched version if you want to use Canary.

Yep, thanks. One question, does your kernel include disabling pwm(pulse width modulation) or enabling DC dimming? According to notebookcheck(website), our pixel 3a uses pwm under 99% brightness.

In EX kernel manager, is that the same as changing the pulse frequency under k-lapse settings? Or does it have something to do with the backlight dimmer option?

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Yep, thanks. One question, does your kernel include disabling pwm(pulse width modulation) or enabling DC dimming? According to notebookcheck(website), our pixel 3a uses pwm under 99% brightness.

In EX kernel manager, is that the same as changing the pulse frequency under k-lapse settings? Or does it have something to do with the backlight dimmer option?
No idea what either of those are.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There will be updates as long as I own this device. I update much more then just what Google puts out.
    v12.5 is up. This is a complete rebuild from current source.
    Many many thanks for this.

I've compiled v12.6_r1 myself and it seems OK so far (but due to Magisk updates it hasn't had a full 24 hours yet).
    For those familiar with Velocity Rom this is the kernel I build for it. Velocity hasnt been on XDA as a rule so Im sure not many are familiar. Velocity is my personal Rom Ive been building for years and have shared with all that are interested. This isnt and will never be an "official development project" but will always exist as long as I continue to develop Android roms.

Velocity is focussed on speed, stability, and efficiency and not on adding every imaginable feature. As this is my personal Rom it will have everything I deem useful to me and/or that doesnt compromise the goals of the project.

I dont add every conceivable governor, I/O scheduler, or other user tweakable options. In fact, I typically remove all the options and keep the best. This is designed as a plug and play kernel, not something to be changed. Its also not designed for other Roms.

Please do not ask for features, ETA's, or related. Again, this is my personal kernel for my personal Rom and will be shared accordingly. That said, I do encourage healthy, friendly dialog in my threads.

Flashing instructions
    1) Reboot to bootloader
    2) Fastboot boot 'bootimage_name'.img to make sure it boots with no issues
    3) Reboot to bootloader again
    4) Fastboot flash boot 'bootimage_name'.img
    5) Buckle up for safety - optional of course

Changelog

Download

Source
    New build time. I just spent the last month rebasing and rebuilding this. Everything was rethought, tested, and only kept if it objectively and subjectively improved either performance or efficiency. This is up to date with the latest AOSP and Linux kernel sources. This is built off January security but "should" work on older builds as well.

See changelog for changes and enjoy.
    New build time.....you know the drill.
    Ok, v10.22 is up. This is a much improved, simplified build vs 10.21. I will continue to add, change, tweak, and experiment with things that improve this kernel but Ill never stray too far from my main principles of speed, efficiency, and stability. This is for March security only. Flash over anything else at your own risk.
    New build up. See changelog.......This works on both November and December builds.