Development [KERNEL] [blu_spark r165 OP9/Pro] [A14 Custom]

Search This thread

dkcats3

Sep 13, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have 2 questions:

1) Coming from stock and even Omega, this kernel seems to scroll a lot quicker, fixing the "slow scrolling fling" people report. Have you done anything intentional to cause this?

2) I see the setting slider for haptic vibration intensity, with a default value of 30, but no matter how I adjust it (from 0 all the way to 100), the brightness slider has the exact same intensity of haptics. Am I doing this wrong, is that a bad example to test, or does it require reboot to take effect?

EDIT: Just wanted to share, I'm hitting 4h10m SOT with 44% battery to spare. Using Wifi, bluetooth, and FKM's 25% max CPU reduction, GPU set to powersave, and MSM touchboost disabled. I notice no impact to actual normal usage smoothness or snappiness.

infamousvincci

Apr 10, 2013
Carson
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
People reported working on regular OP9, if that uses simialr OOS bins etc should work.
Keep in mind that I can only test in OP9 Pro (EU), so backup your stuff and procede with caution.
We'll never know what'sreally going on on that "special" models.
Heyyy yeah i can report its working perfectly fine on my op9 tmobile variant.

Reactions: eng.stk

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
There's not really much difference in IO schedulers for fast nand devices.
in 5.* kernels with MQ framework and assynchonous stuff like io_uring in place (don't know if android takes advantage from this), none is actually advised for nvme and fast ssd, device.
Controllers are robust enough and there's plenty of cache to manage requests, just remove the middle man.
For now I'll keep it like that for some more interactiveness and safeguard, it seems like some userspace crap pegs on IO stuff so there's that.

I will add nothing more on this regard.
One question. You know how we have to flash stock boot image back to take ota's? As long as I back-up stock kernel through ex-kernel manager to flash back when update arrives. I can just return to stock kernel through app and flash untouched boot img back & I shouldn't have any issues taking ota correct? I just wanna maintain data . Put much time into getting device the way I want. And I learned my lesson msm'ing every other day with my op8. Finally watching it brick and unable to restore by msm tool. :( Please and thank you beforehand.

Last edited:

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
One question. You know how we have to flash stock boot image back to take ota's? As long as I back-up stock kernel through ex-kernel manager to flash back when update arrives. I can just return to stock kernel through app and flash untouched boot img back & I shouldn't have any issues taking ota correct? I just wanna maintain data . Put much time into getting device the way I want. And I learned my lesson msm'ing every other day with my op8. Finally watching it brick and unable to restore by msm tool. :( Please and thank you beforehand.
From my experience, I never flash back stock boot.img b4 taking OTA. the ota is writing each img(including new boot.img) over what the phone is currently on, so I've never saw the need to go back to stock boot.img b4 OTA and I've never had any problems. I have had plenty though forgetting to disable any substratum themes 😂

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
From my experience, I never flash back stock boot.img b4 taking OTA. the ota is writing each img(including new boot.img) over what the phone is currently on, so I've never saw the need to go back to stock boot.img b4 OTA and I've never had any problems. I have had plenty though forgetting to disable any substratum themes 😂
Bet as far as getting stock partitions back for google ota to work . Restoring stock kernel is all there is to do correct?

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-132050.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-132050.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 82

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have 2 questions:

1) Coming from stock and even Omega, this kernel seems to scroll a lot quicker, fixing the "slow scrolling fling" people report. Have you done anything intentional to cause this?

2) I see the setting slider for haptic vibration intensity, with a default value of 30, but no matter how I adjust it (from 0 all the way to 100), the brightness slider has the exact same intensity of haptics. Am I doing this wrong, is that a bad example to test, or does it require reboot to take effect?

EDIT: Just wanted to share, I'm hitting 4h10m SOT with 44% battery to spare. Using Wifi, bluetooth, and FKM's 25% max CPU reduction, GPU set to powersave, and MSM touchboost disabled. I notice no impact to actual normal usage smoothness or snappiness.

1) Well, this is blu_spark 😇 And this device is wonky AF, probably I won't be able to do everything I would like
2) What brightness slider? That is for vibration strength, you can easily test level by sliding the tristate button on phone for instance. Works fine on my 9 Pro, I use level 10 because I feel the haptics to be too strong for my taste.

Reactions: Trinaaa and osm0sis

HessNL

Didn't feel that much battery drain seems to work really good nothing has been changed in fkm but i saw that mq-deadline is on what is really great to have normally I needed to switch over in kernels but this one far the best

(Didn't benchmark it yet going to try it soon)

Thx again 🤙

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
Didn't feel that much battery drain seems to work really good nothing has been changed in fkm but i saw that mq-deadline is on what is really great to have normally I needed to switch over in kernels but this one far the best

(Didn't benchmark it yet going to try it soon)

Thx again 🤙
I was getting 1.8%/h, which for my use is unacceptable.
Don't know if it's connected, but I started noticing it around the time I used OP account to enter OP community app.

I just adb uninstall com.oneplus.accessory and com.oneplus.account.
No more infinite wakeups from those and cleaner setting smenu as a bonus :)

PKkeys

Apr 19, 2021
Don't know if it's connected, but I started noticing it around the time I used OP account to enter OP community app.

Is it safe to unintall com.oneplus.accessory and com.oneplus.account ? I know it's a silly question but can confirm? :D

Flasher8

Apr 24, 2011

Can have the adb command ? 😃

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Last edited:
Reactions: Flasher8
Gcam not work with this Kernel. Normal cam working.

Mine works fine. Grab the "snap" variant from BSG's builds.
Grab the config file if you'd like, as well. Load it from the GCam app by double-tapping anywhere in the black space around the shutter button.

From my experience, and this device seems to fit into this rule as well, the only necessary thing is to disable Magisk if you're rooted (which you would be if you have a custom kernel, no?).

This is the process I used, prior to flashing BluSpark:

STOP! Make sure to disable automatic system updates (Settings -> Developer options) if this is your first time doing something like this.

Go into Magisk Manager and choose -> Uninstall -> Restore Images.

This will restore the boot to stock.

Do not reboot yet or you'll uninstall Magisk and will have a bad time.

Apply the OTA. Go into Settings -> System -> System Update. Or conversely, do this from Oxygen Updater.

Seriously, do not restart.

Now return to Magisk Manager and choose -> Install -> Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA).

After the installation is done, press the reboot button in Magisk Manager.

Profit!

Now keep in mind, this might need some additional steps, since the vendor files are now affected as well. My guess is that is ONLY necessary if you are returning to the stock kernel, however.

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Mine works fine. Grab the "snap" variant from BSG's builds.
Grab the config file if you'd like, as well. Load it from the GCam app by double-tapping anywhere in the black space around the shutter button.

From my experience, and this device seems to fit into this rule as well, the only necessary thing is to disable Magisk if you're rooted (which you would be if you have a custom kernel, no?).

This is the process I used, prior to flashing BluSpark:

Now keep in mind, this might need some additional steps, since the vendor files are now affected as well. My guess is that is ONLY necessary if you are returning to the stock kernel, however.
So that's part of my question then. Since the 9 and 9pro use Google ota to update, all partitions have to be stock or it fails.Can someone take an update with blu_spark or does stock have to be restored prior and then what other files? I wanna flash kernel but I however don't wanna have a bunch of partitions after that to cause next ota to fail. They are coming religiously every month. And I do not wanna have to msm and loose data on device by factory reset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    blu_spark_r165 release (A14 custom)

New build is up (y)

Build targeting lineage-21.0-20240216-nightly, kernel build may work with other ROMs that use similar device/kernel trees (confirm before flashing).
    This kernel is for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

For flashing and easy of install logging, Kernel Flasher is recommended
    You can use Kernel Flasher/FKM download kernel feature, just import the link bellow in the app updates/flash section.
    Download config: custom

Changelog:
    • Merge lineage-21.0 from LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    • CodeLinaro device updates
    • Merge ASB-2024-03-05
    • For root, Magisk 27.0 or newer is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs besides LineageOS.
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue.

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit like, it's free :)
    DWHxIK

Kernel features:
    • Build with custom upstream LLVM 14.x (Clang 14.0.6 + LLD linker + IAS)
    • full ThinLTO -O2 build with device and target flags enhanced, build improvements and compiler fixes, etc
    • Less is more: stockish OP9 builds based on LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350 for max stability
    • Systemless installer (doesn't touch system/vendor partition, OTA friendly), AnyKernel3 backend (compatible with autoflash apps)
    • Removed some debug and logging options
    • CVE security patches, general upstream and CAF fixes for important subsystems
    • No OC, use 250HZ base timer frequency
    • msm_performance touchboost toggle on/off (enabled by default), tweaked cpu_boost driver
    • Enhanced TCP methods (westwood is default, BBR available), Network tweaks and updated drivers
    • Several I/O control tweaks, advanced filesystems enabled (F2FS, ExFAT, NTFS, CIFS & NFS)
    • ZRAM Swap (4GB LZ4 default) and with file disabled (2 GB storage gain), LZO-RLE and ZSTD are available
    • Vibrator Strength tunable and Gesture Haptic Feedback control (touchpanel and FPR)
    • KGSL fixes and general improvements for GPU driver
    • adrenoboost ready (disabled by default)
    • Backlight min brightness and brightness scaling (custom) option
    • Gamepad support enabled (xbox, ps4, switch)
    • USB2 Fast Charge (USB mode up to 900mA with MTP on)
    • FS fsync toggle on/off
    • Wakelock blockers available
    • wireguard support
    • Compatible with Kernel Flasher, EXKM, FKM , Kernel Adiutor and others

DOWNLOAD KERNEL ZIP
    Kernel Flasher/FKM download configs: oos | custom
    (No mirrors please)​

Setup and troubleshoot: To install just flash the zip on a stock setup with either TWRP or autoflash kernel app.
    If you come from other kernel or have any issues, you should restore your stock boot.img/vendor_boot.img/vendor_dlkm.img or dirty flash your ROM before flashing blu_spark zip to avoid problems. Also uninstall or clean data of any kernel control app you're using.
    If you are upgrading between blu_spark versions, just flash the kernel zip.

About bugs and reports: don't bother to post if a log isn't ready or without steps so the behavior can be replicated. I only active support ROMs with NO mods whatsoever (apart from root). That includes NO support if using xposed, Magisk with added modules, etc.
    Currently only LineageOS or LOS based ROMs are supported, OOS is EOL.
    Also try not to spam the thread with OT. There's threads for all kind of stuff, use them.

Going back to stock: This kernel installer doesn't change your filesystem. You can backup your boot.img/vendor_boot.img with TWRP or kernel app before flashing blu_spark if you want to go back to full stock or just dirty flash your full ROM.

Source Code: https://github.com/engstk/op9
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free ;)

OnePlus 9 Pro development unit donated by OnePlus. Big shouts to them :)
    Very proud for being on the OnePlus Developer Program, special thanks to dev relations team.
    blu_spark_r23 release

First blu_spark build for the OP9 series is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also (need some fixes since code is broken). So backup you boot if you want to test and let me know :)
    Kernel already have some merged goodies and I think I have a good base to work with. For a couple days of work, it's not bad :)
    I'll take a look into more stuff to come, some things in OP are WIP. Stay tuned!

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: oos

Changelog:
    • Build with Google Clang 12.0.5 + LLD linker
    • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 9/Pro Oxygen 11.2.6.6.LE25AA
    • Several build error fixes and quirks handled
    • Compilation improvements an cruf removed
    • Some goodies already merged like filesystem stuff, cpu governor & boost/msm perf, TCP algos, wakelock blocker, vibration and haptic feedback control, gpu adrenoboost, etc
    • All drivers builtin, wifi stack and datarmmnet merged from CAF
    • net/wireguard: merge v1.0.20210424

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)
    [Thread Cleaned]

Good (or perhaps not so good?) day everyone! I've removed a few posts but left the ones that matter: civilized closure of conflict – social media can learn a thing or two from this. As we sit behind our desks and in our couches (or on a plane, even that's a thing nowadays), protected by that anonymity shield, we easily throw our words out into the world. And sometimes we regret them. Unfortunately, we find it so easy to judge one another for that. But facing the fact that we're all just humans that make mistakes, I believe we know that we shouldn't judge so quickly. Now more than ever; kindness should prevail.

Thank you for your attention and have an energetic day or quiet night in your part of the world. If you need a chat, drop me a line. Just keep our development threads focused on development and mutual respect.

Cheers!
    Timmy
    Forum Moderator
    blu_spark_r120 release (A13 custom)

New build is up (y)

I tested with lineage-20.0-20230103-nightly-lemonadep, kernel build may work with other ROMs that use similar device/kernel trees.
    This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

For flashing and easy of install logging, Kernel Flasher is recommended

You can use Kernel Flasher/FKM download kernel feature, just import the link bellow in the app updates/flash section.
    Download config: custom

Changelog:
    • ThinLTO build with custom upstream LLVM 15.x (Clang 15.0.6 + LLD linker + IAS)
    • Rebase and cleanup for lineage-20.0
    • Merge lineage-20.0 from LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    • defconfig: sync with lineage-20.0-20230101-nightly
    • makefile: disable some clang spam
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20221201)
    • For root, Magisk 25.2 or newer is mandatory

Keep in mind: I am mostly interested on debugging stuff with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue.

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit like, it's free :)
    blu_spark_r52 release

New build is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: oos

Changelog:
    • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 9 Oxygen 11.2.10.10
    • f2fs: shrink node_write lock coverage
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20211215)
    • Couple init runtime adjusts to better UX
    • For root, Magisk 23.0 or higher is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)