Development [KERNEL] [blu_spark r164 OP9/Pro] [A14 Custom]

Search This thread

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6
Hello @eng.stk

Since the revelation about OnePlus throttling several popular apps, I have been wondering – does your kernel inherit the behaviour? If yes, then will it be possible to remove the throttling code?

Thanks for your work, your kernel has much improved my phone's battery life, especially on idle.
It's super easy to fix I'm sure Eng.stk will do it. all he has to do is remove the oneplus TCP commit from the Kernel.

Omega dev has done this. I have not seen any heat issues whatsoever from the un-throttling. It's amazing using the device now. It feels like the device should feel. Almost as fast as smooth as my S21 Ultra.

It's super easy to fix I'm sure Eng.stk will do it. all he has to do is remove the oneplus TCP commit from the Kernel.

Omega dev has done this. I have not seen any heat issues whatsoever from the un-throttling. It's amazing using the device now. It feels like the device should feel. Almost as fast as smooth as my S21 Ultra.
He has said many times he was going for stable and not altering source so I think it will remain the same. Also didn't notice much of a difference with throttling removed

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit
does this work on lineage? i know it says oos

Nope, pretty sure eng.stk has stated this won't work on anything other than OOS.

He has said many times he was going for stable and not altering source so I think it will remain the same. Also didn't notice much of a difference with throttling removed

Yup, this is based on OnePlus source and he's sticking to that. Any other route could possibly lead to Note 7-level disasters (and while he might have been joking [he wasn't], there's no reason to chance that.

Nope, pretty sure eng.stk has stated this won't work on anything other than OOS.

Yup, this is based on OnePlus source and he's sticking to that. Any other route could possibly lead to Note 7-level disasters (and while he might have been joking [he wasn't], there's no reason to chance that.
You quoted the wrong person

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
So for the (hopefully) last time about the throttling drama:

Guys I understand that the reddit/twitter mindset sometimes takes over xda, but we need to be objective.
People may agree or disagree with OP decision, but this is beside the point.

Like it was discussed earlier, while numbers on synthetic may rise, I don't believe general UX will improve all that much and battery will for sure be worse.
Probably will even introduce jank since OOS is so tightly integrated to some vendor modules.
And further testing seems to suggest just that (check attach)

I praise stability and daily driving above anything else. And I prefer not to break stock stuff if there's no hard reason to do it.
If you're after untested merge and revert nightly style releases, this is not the place for you.

Now please read carefully my original take on this throttling:

Just to compare stuff in a simple matter most users will relate to:
My OP9 Pro running without SIM as a tablet drains the same as the 8T daily driving on the street with a SIM. It's nuts, should be a lot less like my other devices.

TLDR: snap888 is not to the level of efficiency we are used to get from QC. Some models seem to be better than other due to battery tweaking processes, but pushing the envelope a bit and it goes bye bye.
Also you may get a better heat dissipation tech to maintain performance (like vapor-chamber used in some models), but all the devices have the tendency to be hand warmers, because then again the heat is still there, it just dissipates faster.

Attachments

• screen01.png
    screen01.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

tathagatab

Dec 31, 2014
Kolkata
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 12
So for the (hopefully) last time about the throttling drama:

Guys I understand that the reddit/twitter mindset sometimes takes over xda, but we need to be objective.
People may agree or disagree with OP decision, but this is beside the point.

Please be smarter than news outlets that just want to live of drama and feed you stuff without explaining nothing.

Like it was discussed earlier, while numbers on synthetic may rise, I don't believe general UX will improve all that much and battery will for sure be worse.
Probably will even introduce jank since OOS is so tightly integrated to some vendor modules.
And further testing seems to suggest just that (check attach)

I praise stability and daily driving above anything else. And I prefer not to break stock stuff if there's no hard reason to do it.
If you're after untested merge and revert nightly style releases, this is not the place for you.

Now please read carefully my original take on this throttling:

Just to compare stuff in a simple matter most users will relate to:
My OP9 Pro running without SIM as a tablet drains the same as the 8T daily driving on the street with a SIM. It's nuts, should be a lot less like my other devices.

TLDR: snap888 is not to the level of efficiency we are used to get from QC. Some models seem to be better than other due to battery tweaking processes, but pushing the envelope a bit and it goes bye bye.
Also you may get a better heat dissipation tech to maintain performance (like vapor-chamber used in some models), but all the devices have the tendency to be hand warmers, because then again the heat is still there, it just dissipates faster.

Does this mean that I can never (or very rarely) activate the prime core on my shiny new phone? That makes me sad.

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
Does this mean that I can never (or very rarely) activate the prime core on my shiny new phone? That makes me sad.
Well you can always have a blob of lava in your hands, a couple months/years down the line your device starts bootloop and the only way to boot is disabling high power clusters like with the good 'ol 810 furnace and little furnace brother 808.

People usually think of silicon degredation being tied to voltages, but degredation by sustained exposure to high temperarures is also a thing.

Pretty sure you would be much happier then 🥲

Reactions: osm0sis

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6
Well you can always have a blob of lava in your hands, a couple months/years down the line your device starts bootloop and the only way to boot is disabling high power clusters like with the good 'ol 810 furnace and little furnace brother 808.

People usually think of silicon degredation being tied to voltages, but degredation by sustained exposure to high temperarures is also a thing.

Mate. I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible.

This whole situation should Simply Be referred to as: Throttle-Gate.

I'd really appreciate if you listen to users once in a while.

There's no good reason why we should allow this phone to get throttled like that. The user experience is severely gimped and diminished.

With a throttling, we basically have a mediatek 750 SOC.

For $1,069 device that's nothing short of ridiculous. I've got my S21 Ultra in my hand right next to me-- and the performance is incredible. It's a Snapdragon sd888. No overheating. No excessive drain.

I've been able to test my 9Pro with the TPD removal, and same exact thing.

The sd888 is anything but perfect. But having pixel 5 performance on $1,000 device is cutting ourselves off at the proverbial knees.

Phone is an absolute Joy now to use and feels like a premium device without the throttling. Super fluid. Smooth as smooth can be.

OnePlus is not god. They make very questionable decisions.

Really appreciate it if you would simply 'try' building a build without that throttling commit.

I promise you it's worth it. I've tested both ad nauseam, and extensively.

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
OnePlus 9 Pro
Mate. I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible.

This whole situation should Simply Be referred to as: Throttle-Gate.

I'd really appreciate if you listen to users once in a while.

There's no good reason why we should allow this phone to get throttled like that. The user experience is severely gimped and diminished.

With a throttling, we basically have a mediatek 750 SOC.

For $1,069 device that's nothing short of ridiculous. I've got my S21 Ultra in my hand right next to me-- and the performance is incredible. It's a Snapdragon sd888. No overheating. No excessive drain.

I've been able to test my 9Pro with the TPD removal, and same exact thing.

The sd888 is anything but perfect. But having pixel 5 performance on $1,000 device is cutting ourselves off at the proverbial knees.

Phone is an absolute Joy now to use and feels like a premium device without the throttling. Super fluid. Smooth as smooth can be.

OnePlus is not god. They make very questionable decisions.

Really appreciate it if you would simply 'try' building a build without that throttling commit.

I promise you it's worth it. I've tested both ad nauseam, and extensively.
Take it to QC and OP, I don't sell phones neither I make client support.
That tends to be paid it seems.

You mean the change that introduces heat and battery drop and it was reverted not long ago? And from what I read is not consensual at all?
C'mon, enough of this mumbo jumbo already.

You guys can paint it all you want, no matter what you do, it's a loose loose situation with this SoC the way is set on this device. Period.
Disable the mitigation in place, you got the performance for a bit until device starts to heat up like a furnace (already has a tendency to do it even throttled down lol) and battery soon goes bye bye.
And if users start coming down in a couple months complaining about silicon degradation, are you the one to provide new phones to them?
People have to be careful with these things. If other projects want to take another path it's up to them, that's why the code is open source.

And it's funny you mention the S21, since there's people complaining about battery not being on par with other S iterations and having a tendency to heat up more than usual.
So much that Samsung is probably bringing back vapor chamber to their lineup which is not present on the S21
Although some devices behave better than others, there is not a single review with snap 888 I checked that doesn't mention the "device has a tendency to heat up" and the "battery isn't grat"... "but it's ok because snap 888 is a power house".
I read crap like this more than once. Like the 865 wasn't a powerhouse that was perfectly powerful and efficient lol.

People may accept what I have to say or not, but that isn't going to change technical (and historical) facts. I'm done with loosing time to this topic.
The problem isn't OP throttling down the device, the problem is that they needed to do that stuff to have a workable device in the first place.
If people can't understand this, I rest my case. There's plenty of threads in which people can't vent all they want, I suggest you guys use that ones and don't clutter this topic again.

TLDR: I will not change anything related to power management on this device. Want to know why, read the rest before lol. The end.

Last edited:

chrmica

Dec 4, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
Take it to QC and OP, I don't sell phones neither I make client support.
That tends to be paid it seems.

You mean the change that introduces heat and battery drop and it was reverted not long ago? And from what I read is not consensual at all?
C'mon, enough of this mumbo jumbo already.

You guys can paint it all you want, no matter what you do, it's a loose loose situation with this SoC the way is set on this device. Period.
Disable the mitigation in place, you got the performance for a bit until device starts to heat up like a furnace (already has a tendency to do it even throttled down lol) and battery soon goes bye bye.
And if users start coming down in a couple months complaining about silicon degradation, are you the one to provide new phones to them?
People have to be careful with these things. If other projects want to take another path it's up to them, that's why the code is open source.

And it's funny you mention the S21, since there's people complaining about battery not being on par with other S iterations and having a tendency to heat up more than usual.
So much that Samsung is probably bringing back vapor chamber to their lineup which is not present on the S21
Although some devices behave better than others, there is not a single review with snap 888 I checked that doesn't mention the "device has a tendency to heat up" and the "battery isn't grat"... "but it's ok because snap 888 is a power house".
I read crap like this more than once. Like the 865 wasn't a powerhouse that was perfectly powerful and efficient lol.

People may accept what I have to say or not, but that isn't going to change technical (and historical) facts. I'm done with loosing time to this topic.
The problem isn't OP throttling down the device, the problem is that they needed to do that stuff to have a workable device in the first place.
If people can't understand this, I rest my case. There's plenty of threads in which people can't vent all they want, I suggest you guys use that ones and don't clutter this topic again.

TLDR: I will not change anything related to power management on this device. Want to know why, read the rest before lol. The end.
So with this argument the phone is completely useless and if using basic apps is a disaster what about games what is going to happen phone explodes in our faces !! according to OP not throttling games, so now if phone burns down during warranty the other excuse will be you played too many games not covered !!!

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
So with this argument the phone is completely useless and if using basic apps is a disaster what about games what is going to happen phone explodes in our faces !! according to OP not throttling games, so now if phone burns down during warranty the other excuse will be you played too many games not covered !!!
It's never been "completely useless", this is exactly the type of dramatic overreaction people keep having to this from the media hype machine... 🙄

He's asked people to drop the topic, so kindly let's all drop it. 🙂✌️

samwhiteUK

Jul 1, 2012
Cambridge
OnePlus 9 Pro
If you want a kernel that removes the throttling, use an Omega build that does so. Eng.stk is obviously cautious, and it's his/her project, so he/she can do as he/she pleases. You don't have to be loyal to a particular dev, just like a dev doesn't have to give in to your requests. It's quite rude to keep trying to persuade a dev to do your bidding, when there is another project out there that accomplishes just what you want.

infamousvincci

Apr 10, 2013
Carson
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro

I would agree. Voltages dont cause a cpu to break. Its the heat. And yes, im a cpu overclocker.

tech_head

Electromigration is the cause of semi conductor failures when over voltage/over current along with heat is maintained.

The metal atoms start to migrate and cause shorts or opens.

I don't know what QC claims for thermals on a SD888 and I also don't think it's an issue with component failure. I think this whole thing is about battery life.

I'm not suggesting that OP modify his kernel in any way. I'm a hardware engineer telling what causes silicon to fail.

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Here's my input, not that it was asked,but....
If you don't want throttled apps or phone, go the 9. I broke my pro,bought a 9 and couldn't be happier. Saves arguments with the DEV or a whole community. Before the news broke everyone was pretty happy with their phone aside from battery life. Now the news is out,everyone is grumbling about it. It's easy to see both sides of the argument why throttling/ not throttling is necessary. Dont like the way the phone operates or how a DEV does their builds? Switch phones and move on. There are 2 options available for a kernel. Use what suits you and don't beg a DEV to make the exact same as the other. Kinda takes away from their signature kernels.
Rant over. Have a good day guys.
Oh and @eng.stk is this also unified or strictly for the pro variant? Sorry I didn't sift through the thread.
Edit: 9 series so unified

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DWHxIK

Kernel features:
    • Build with custom upstream LLVM 14.x (Clang 14.0.6 + LLD linker + IAS)
    • full ThinLTO -O2 build with device and target flags enhanced, build improvements and compiler fixes, etc
    • Less is more: stockish OP9 builds based on LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350 for max stability
    • Systemless installer (doesn't touch system/vendor partition, OTA friendly), AnyKernel3 backend (compatible with autoflash apps)
    • Removed some debug and logging options
    • CVE security patches, general upstream and CAF fixes for important subsystems
    • No OC, use 250HZ base timer frequency
    • msm_performance touchboost toggle on/off (enabled by default), tweaked cpu_boost driver
    • Enhanced TCP methods (westwood is default, BBR available), Network tweaks and updated drivers
    • Several I/O control tweaks, advanced filesystems enabled (F2FS, ExFAT, NTFS, CIFS & NFS)
    • ZRAM Swap (4GB LZ4 default) and with file disabled (2 GB storage gain), LZO-RLE and ZSTD are available
    • Vibrator Strength tunable and Gesture Haptic Feedback control (touchpanel and FPR)
    • KGSL fixes and general improvements for GPU driver
    • adrenoboost ready (disabled by default)
    • Backlight min brightness and brightness scaling (custom) option
    • Gamepad support enabled (xbox, ps4, switch)
    • USB2 Fast Charge (USB mode up to 900mA with MTP on)
    • FS fsync toggle on/off
    • Wakelock blockers available
    • wireguard support
    • Compatible with Kernel Flasher, EXKM, FKM , Kernel Adiutor and others

DOWNLOAD KERNEL ZIP
    Kernel Flasher/FKM download configs: oos | custom
    (No mirrors please)​

Setup and troubleshoot: To install just flash the zip on a stock setup with either TWRP or autoflash kernel app.
    If you come from other kernel or have any issues, you should restore your stock boot.img/vendor_boot.img/vendor_dlkm.img or dirty flash your ROM before flashing blu_spark zip to avoid problems. Also uninstall or clean data of any kernel control app you're using.
    If you are upgrading between blu_spark versions, just flash the kernel zip.

About bugs and reports: don't bother to post if a log isn't ready or without steps so the behavior can be replicated. I only active support ROMs with NO mods whatsoever (apart from root). That includes NO support if using xposed, Magisk with added modules, etc.
    Currently only LineageOS or LOS based ROMs are supported, OOS is EOL.
    Also try not to spam the thread with OT. There's threads for all kind of stuff, use them.

Going back to stock: This kernel installer doesn't change your filesystem. You can backup your boot.img/vendor_boot.img with TWRP or kernel app before flashing blu_spark if you want to go back to full stock or just dirty flash your full ROM.

Source Code: https://github.com/engstk/op9
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free ;)

OnePlus 9 Pro development unit donated by OnePlus. Big shouts to them :)
    Very proud for being on the OnePlus Developer Program, special thanks to dev relations team.
    blu_spark_r23 release

First blu_spark build for the OP9 series is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also (need some fixes since code is broken). So backup you boot if you want to test and let me know :)
    Kernel already have some merged goodies and I think I have a good base to work with. For a couple days of work, it's not bad :)
    I'll take a look into more stuff to come, some things in OP are WIP. Stay tuned!

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: oos

Changelog:
    • Build with Google Clang 12.0.5 + LLD linker
    • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 9/Pro Oxygen 11.2.6.6.LE25AA
    • Several build error fixes and quirks handled
    • Compilation improvements an cruf removed
    • Some goodies already merged like filesystem stuff, cpu governor & boost/msm perf, TCP algos, wakelock blocker, vibration and haptic feedback control, gpu adrenoboost, etc
    • All drivers builtin, wifi stack and datarmmnet merged from CAF
    • net/wireguard: merge v1.0.20210424

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)
    [Thread Cleaned]

Good (or perhaps not so good?) day everyone! I've removed a few posts but left the ones that matter: civilized closure of conflict – social media can learn a thing or two from this. As we sit behind our desks and in our couches (or on a plane, even that's a thing nowadays), protected by that anonymity shield, we easily throw our words out into the world. And sometimes we regret them. Unfortunately, we find it so easy to judge one another for that. But facing the fact that we're all just humans that make mistakes, I believe we know that we shouldn't judge so quickly. Now more than ever; kindness should prevail.

Thank you for your attention and have an energetic day or quiet night in your part of the world. If you need a chat, drop me a line. Just keep our development threads focused on development and mutual respect.

Cheers!
    Timmy
    Forum Moderator
    blu_spark_r120 release (A13 custom)

New build is up (y)

I tested with lineage-20.0-20230103-nightly-lemonadep, kernel build may work with other ROMs that use similar device/kernel trees.
    This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

For flashing and easy of install logging, Kernel Flasher is recommended

You can use Kernel Flasher/FKM download kernel feature, just import the link bellow in the app updates/flash section.
    Download config: custom

Changelog:
    • ThinLTO build with custom upstream LLVM 15.x (Clang 15.0.6 + LLD linker + IAS)
    • Rebase and cleanup for lineage-20.0
    • Merge lineage-20.0 from LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    • defconfig: sync with lineage-20.0-20230101-nightly
    • makefile: disable some clang spam
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20221201)
    • For root, Magisk 25.2 or newer is mandatory

Keep in mind: I am mostly interested on debugging stuff with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue.

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit like, it's free :)
    blu_spark_r52 release

New build is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: oos

Changelog:
    • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 9 Oxygen 11.2.10.10
    • f2fs: shrink node_write lock coverage
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20211215)
    • Couple init runtime adjusts to better UX
    • For root, Magisk 23.0 or higher is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)