Development [KERNEL] [blu_spark r96 OP9/Pro] [A11 OOS/A12 Custom]

Search This thread

rejectedjs

Apr 1, 2012
And it's broken and also incomplete!! Yay
Damn that's really unfortunate. Is it bound to stay that way or is it par for the course for it to improve later on?

It just seems beyond silly to make the kernel open source yet incomplete for anyone to actually utilize the git in the first place

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 6
Damn that's really unfortunate. Is it bound to stay that way or is it par for the course for it to improve later on?

It just seems beyond silly to make the kernel open source yet incomplete for anyone to actually utilize the git in the first place

There's plenty of stuff to fix in order to get things in working state.
Several drivers are missing and/or half done also.

After some hours I have a half done/half broken booting kernel, there's hope but it ain't looking great

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-07-20-51-29-31_f87a76b94b6e55ccb7085e315ba2641a.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-07-20-51-29-31_f87a76b94b6e55ccb7085e315ba2641a.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
There's plenty of stuff to fix in order to get things in working state.
Several drivers are missing and/or half done also.

After some hours I have a half done/half broken booting kernel, there's hope but it ain't looking great
I'm trying to get that kernel code OnePlus released to compile and boot on LineageOS, so I think I get your frustration.

I look forward to using your kernel if I go back to OOS 12 though, since it worked great on OOS 11.

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 6
It's like BBK said let's sh*t on people :/
Yeah, without proper sources things don't look promising for OOS support.

As I said I managed to boot.
There's a handful of vendor drivers borked, some are missing, drop-ins from other oppo/realme devices some are borked also.
wifi using Open Source drivers I managed to load it, but no service, they seem to be using a heavily modified one so the HAL is picky (with again no source for the wifi driver).
Panel works with several color modes, HZ stuff, advanced smooth, etc etc.
Brightness works fine with auto levels also.
Sounds works fine with full dolby support.
Touch works nicely with offscreen gestures also.
FoD works fine, faster than stock even.
Tri state key and vibration is wonky , works half the times.
Camera works fully both pics and video, all lens.
BT works nicely also, didn't test SIM because I'm not in the mood after several hours working around broken crap.

Last edited:

There's a handful of vendor drivers borked, some are missing, drop-ins from other oppo/realme devices some are borked also.
wifi using Open Source drivers I managed to load it, but no service, they seem to be using a heavily modified one so the HAL is picky (with again no source for the wifi driver).
BT works nicely also, didn't test SIM because I'm not in the mood after several hours working around broken crap.

Wow, that sounds like a massive clusterf*ck of issues to sort out. Do you think there's any hope of a more "complete" source in the future, or would this be the best you could hope for?

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wow, that sounds like a massive clusterf*ck of issues to sort out. Do you think there's any hope of a more "complete" source in the future, or would this be the best you could hope for?
This was more than I expected from OnePlus. Oppo releases nothing. OnePlus realizes how bad they fumbled with merge and are trying to revert. Who knows

Reactions: osm0sis

mattie_49

Feb 4, 2010
Seymour Tn
OnePlus 9 Pro

We're pulling for you bud. Lots of us. Arter already said he's not touching and I highly doubt kristo is gonna jump back into this madness. Be only A12 custom oos kernel available. Thank you for all your efforts to help development continue for device.

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 6
We're pulling for you bud. Lots of us. Arter already said he's not touching and I highly doubt kristo is gonna jump back into this madness. Be only A12 custom oos kernel available. Thank you for all your efforts to help development continue for device.
Does't matter what the name is, nobody is going to play magic here.
I'm not sure people realize what's happening: unless source is released fully and without major derps, there's not going to be any release from me and the device will go to the back of my drawer.
I don't know if I'm going to get LOS builds, but not being able to properly support stock ROM is a big nono for me (even if OOS 12 is in general crappy af).
As it is, for all of this, I don't feel particular interessed to even pick up the device anymore 😕

shadowofdeth

Mar 27, 2019
Works on the standard 9 no worries but happened to KCAL support? It's been a while but I remember back on my 5T this kernel had support for it.

Is there something we can download to make KCAL happen?

Top Liked Posts

If you guys want a nice free and open source app tp flash kernel zips, backup and restore stock partitions and so on, check out Kernel Flasher:

There's the ability to save the kernel flash log to Downloads folder and share it here in case of any hiccups.

It's done by @capntrips , which has been doing quite some work in all this logical partitions/avb stuff we've been talking about, both on AK3 and other mods/solutions.
    Highly recommended.
    I got it to flash and reboot no problem, on latest StagOS. But yest I went thru several different ROMs and sometimes I could flash BluSpark no problem and sometimes no matter if I had flashed it the last time I was on "said ROM" but this time it's wld not boot no matter what I did. I think maybe the problem is, if ur on a ROM w/BluSpark, if u switch ROMs if u don't reflash stock dtbo, vendor_boot, and boot imgs for "said" rom b4 and switching roms that is the problem that keeps u from flashing kernal after switching roms. So now I reflash those imgs, reboot into stock rom(no root, no kernal) then back to BL and then flash the 3 imgs to go into recovery to go to different rom(lol) then once set up and rooted I can flash BluSpark fine.. I am not sure.... 🤔

Edit/update

Ok, so testing my theory, I went from having StagOS on slotA(I restored dtbo, vendor_boot and boot) and then rebooted, went to BL, flashed new imgs for SparkOS, went to recovery, wiped and adb sideload the new ROM.. after setting up and rooting I attempted to flash BluSpark. I was on slotB, also I had went from one ROM on slotA and now different one on slotB. Forced to fastboot.. I had to reflash Spark imgs, then I went to recovery and adb sideloaded ROM again to get to slotA.. Then I successfully flashed BluSpark!

So for BluSpark to work you either 1) have to be on slotA or 2)u need to have whatever ROM u are on, on both slots..thank you eng.stk for great kernal!! Maybe u can confirm/deny my theory..
    nope I'm just restoring my device on stag OS. Use FKM and import that file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/engstk/kernelfkm/master/updater_op9_custom.json. Works great!
    I got it to flash and reboot no problem, on latest StagOS. But yest I went thru several different ROMs and sometimes I could flash BluSpark no problem and sometimes no matter if I had flashed it the last time I was on "said ROM" but this time it's wld not boot no matter what I did. I think maybe the problem is, if ur on a ROM w/BluSpark, if u switch ROMs if u don't reflash stock dtbo, vendor_boot, and boot imgs for "said" rom b4 and switching roms that is the problem that keeps u from flashing kernal after switching roms. So now I reflash those imgs, reboot into stock rom(no root, no kernal) then back to BL and then flash the 3 imgs to go into recovery to go to different rom(lol) then once set up and rooted I can flash BluSpark fine.. I am not sure.... 🤔

Edit/update

Ok, so testing my theory, I went from having StagOS on slotA(I restored dtbo, vendor_boot and boot) and then rebooted, went to BL, flashed new imgs for SparkOS, went to recovery, wiped and adb sideload the new ROM.. after setting up and rooting I attempted to flash BluSpark. I was on slotB, also I had went from one ROM on slotA and now different one on slotB. Forced to fastboot.. I had to reflash Spark imgs, then I went to recovery and adb sideloaded ROM again to get to slotA.. Then I successfully flashed BluSpark!

So for BluSpark to work you either 1) have to be on slotA or 2)u need to have whatever ROM u are on, on both slots..thank you eng.stk for great kernal!! Maybe u can confirm/deny my theory..
    No, it works fine in either slot.
    The problem is that sometimes both slots aren't exactly well populated and the installer trusts on certain conditions to successfully work.
    Both slots should be on latest and exactly the same A12 firmware from stock ROM previously to install anything.
    Both slots should be flashed with working custom ROM.

Partitions to restore are the ones touched: boot, vendor_boot and vbmeta, you can do dtbo also. vendor_dlkm is mandatory to be restored and I think people with issues are missing it (flash only is available via fastbootd, not regular fastboot). MOst of the time device is so fast flashing ROM zips, maybe it's easier to do it like that.
    We are used to this stuff on the Pixel and you guys are lucky to have already auto logical partitions processing, avb patching and all that jazz. We didn't in the Pixel 6 series initially and it was ruff during some months.

Device needs to be rebooted after flashing kernel and certain conditions met because vendor_dlkm is a logical partition and for it to be active.
    Also kernel shouldn't be flashed after anything that touches any logical partition before a reboot (like flashing a ROM zip, restoring partitions, etc).

In stock ROM there's no vendor_dlkm in place, but most custom ROMs, since they drink from AOSP, should be already using it.
    Check the Pixel 6 series forums to read more on this.

Can you flash this via adb sideload instead? (Im unrooted/stock)
    While is possible, I don't recommend because of what's above.
    Even with all the things apparently working nicely, I ended up with issues when sideloading the kerrnel zips from LOS recovery for instance.
    Logical partitions are nice to mod kernel installs in , but a pain to work with.
    Like I said before, that resulted in bootloader loop. However, I used FKM with previous script mentioned after restoring the rom and now it works

I used above method that I mentioned.
    blu_spark_r91 release (A12 custom)

New build is up (y)

After the ongoing situation with delayed/broken/missing Op kernel sources and given the bloated crap that (C)OOS 12 is, I decided to take a look at custom ROMs.
    I'm quite satisfied with the LOS 19.1 builds, so I decided I will support a kernel for custom ROMs.
    I tested with lineage-19.1-20220621-nightly-lemonadep-signed.zip, kernel build may work with other ROMs that use similar device/kernel trees.
    This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: custom

Changelog:
    • Build thinLTO'ed with custom upstream LLVM 14.x (Clang 14.0.5 + LLD linker + IAS)
    • Merged from lineage-19.1 from LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    • Most usual goodies present in blu_spark builds
    • treewide: Additional build/linker fixes
    • makefile: additional build options, disable some clang spam
    • net/wireguard: merge ba45dd6fbfe9f94baf3634a965bcfe6c2c41f4c8 from wireguard-linux-compat
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20220608)
    • For root, Magisk 25.1 or newer is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (just kidding ;p).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue.

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit like, it's free :)
    blu_spark_r96 release (A12 custom)

New build is up (y)

I tested with lineage-19.1-20220628-nightly-lemonadep-signed.zip, kernel build may work with other ROMs that use similar device/kernel trees.
    This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also.

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: custom

Changelog:
    • drm-msm-dsi: add backlight scale option (up/down speed/power ratio brightness changes)
    • net/wireguard: merge v1.0.20220627 from wireguard-linux-compat
    • Properly ship vendor_boot (thanks to @osm0sis)
    • Don't ship dtb to improve ROM compatibility
    • Misc. fixes to improve install process
    • For root, Magisk 25.1 or newer is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (just kidding ;p).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue.

No mirrors please
    Thread cleaned! Please let us keep things respectful and on topic. And a friendly reminder as well about XDA Forum Rule 2.3:

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

-Regards: Badger50
    If you guys want a nice free and open source app tp flash kernel zips, backup and restore stock partitions and so on, check out Kernel Flasher:

There's the ability to save the kernel flash log to Downloads folder and share it here in case of any hiccups.

It's done by @capntrips , which has been doing quite some work in all this logical partitions/avb stuff we've been talking about, both on AK3 and other mods/solutions.
    Highly recommended.
    DWHxIK

Kernel features:
    • Build with custom upstream LLVM 14.x (Clang 14.0.5 + LLD linker + IAS)
    • full thinLTO -O2 build with device and target flags enhanced, build improvements and compiler fixes, etc
    • Less is more: stockish OP9 builds based on OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8350 for max stability
    • Systemless installer (doesn't touch system/vendor partition, OTA friendly), AnyKernel3 backend (compatible with autoflash apps)
    • Removed some debug and logging options
    • ARM enhanced performance and battery patches
    • CVE security patches, general upstream and CAF fixes for important subsystems
    • Modded schedutil governor merged from latest CAF sm8350 patchset
    • No OC, use 250HZ base timer frequency
    • msm_performance touchboost toggle on/off (enabled by default), tweaked cpu_boost driver
    • Enhanced TCP methods (westwood is default, BBR available), Network tweaks and updated drivers
    • Several I/O control tweaks, advanced filesystems enabled (F2FS, ExFAT, NTFS, CIFS & NFS)
    • ZRAM Swap (4GB LZ4 default) and with file disabled (2 GB storage gain), LZO-RLE and ZSTD are available
    • Vibrator Strength tunable and Gesture Haptic Feedback control (touchpanel and FPR)
    • KGSL fixes and general improvements for GPU driver
    • adrenoboost ready (disabled by default)
    • Backlight min brightness and brightness scaling (custom) option
    • Gamepad support enabled (xbox, ps4, switch)
    • USB2 Fast Charge (USB mode up to 900mA with MTP on)
    • FS fsync toggle on/off
    • Wakelock blockers available
    • wireguard support
    • Compatible with FKM, EXKM, Kernel Adiutor and others

DOWNLOAD KERNEL ZIP
    FKM download configs: oos
    (No mirrors please)​

Setup and troubleshoot: To install just flash the zip on a stock setup with either TWRP or autoflash kernel app.
    If you come from other kernel or have any issues, you should restore your stock boot.img/vendor_boot.img or dirty flash your ROM before flashing blu_spark zip to avoid problems. Also uninstall or clean data of any kernel control app you're using.
    If you are upgrading between blu_spark versions, just flash the kernel zip.

About bugs and reports: don't bother to post if a log isn't ready or without steps so the behavior can be replicated. I only active support stock OOS ROM with NO mods whatsoever (apart from root). That includes NO support if using xposed, Magisk with added modules, etc.
    If you're using custom ROMs (including stock based ones) and OOS Open Betas you're much on your own. I'm mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock and stable OOS.
    Also try not to spam the thread with OT. There's threads for all kind of stuff, use them.

Going back to stock: This kernel installer doesn't change your filesystem. You can backup your boot.img/vendor_boot.img with TWRP or kernel app before flashing blu_spark if you want to go back to full stock or just dirty flash your full ROM.

Source Code: https://github.com/engstk/op9
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free ;)

OnePlus 9 Pro development unit donated by OnePlus. Big shouts to them :)
    Very proud for being on the OnePlus Developer Program, special thanks to dev relations team.
    blu_spark_r23 release

First blu_spark build for the OP9 series is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 9 Pro but it's unified, so should work for the OP9 also (need some fixes since code is broken). So backup you boot if you want to test and let me know :)
    Kernel already have some merged goodies and I think I have a good base to work with. For a couple days of work, it's not bad :)
    I'll take a look into more stuff to come, some things in OP are WIP. Stay tuned!

Changelog:
    • Build with Google Clang 12.0.5 + LLD linker
    • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 9/Pro Oxygen 11.2.6.6.LE25AA
    • Several build error fixes and quirks handled
    • Compilation improvements an cruf removed
    • Some goodies already merged like filesystem stuff, cpu governor & boost/msm perf, TCP algos, wakelock blocker, vibration and haptic feedback control, gpu adrenoboost, etc
    • All drivers builtin, wifi stack and datarmmnet merged from CAF
    • net/wireguard: merge v1.0.20210424

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)
    [Thread Cleaned]

Good (or perhaps not so good?) day everyone! I've removed a few posts but left the ones that matter: civilized closure of conflict – social media can learn a thing or two from this. As we sit behind our desks and in our couches (or on a plane, even that's a thing nowadays), protected by that anonymity shield, we easily throw our words out into the world. And sometimes we regret them. Unfortunately, we find it so easy to judge one another for that. But facing the fact that we're all just humans that make mistakes, I believe we know that we shouldn't judge so quickly. Now more than ever; kindness should prevail.

Thank you for your attention and have an energetic day or quiet night in your part of the world. If you need a chat, drop me a line. Just keep our development threads focused on development and mutual respect.

Cheers!
    Timmy
    Forum Moderator
    blu_spark_r52 release

New build is up (y)

Changelog:
    • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 9 Oxygen 11.2.10.10
    • f2fs: shrink node_write lock coverage
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20211215)
    • Couple init runtime adjusts to better UX
    • For root, Magisk 23.0 or higher is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)
    blu_spark_r54 release

New build is up (y)
    One last A11 hurrah before stuff start to line up for A12.

Changelog:
    • Build with Google Clang 14.0.1 + LLD linker
    • wakelock blocker updates
    • Couple build reverts
    • AnyKernel3 updates (v20220126)
    • For root, Magisk 24.1 or newer is mandatory

No mirrors please