[KERNEL] [blu_spark r98 OP8/Pro/T] [A11 OOS]

Search This thread

mrteyssere

Apr 21, 2011
It's been a while since I rooted/flashed kernels/flashed ROMs som i could need some help. My OP8t got pretty bad battery life compared to my Huawei P40.

Will a new kernel or ROM help with this? And if so, which? To flash, do we still use TWRP? Thanks!

Zinux

• May 17, 2016
    The custom build doesn't work on custom ROMs, I tried the build on all the ROMs and the same issue happens.
    It takes time to boot and system crashes, no WIFI and no signal, but iirc it worked fine on older builds, I mean probably something has changed in custom ROMs. Thanks!

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
    Kent, OH
    The custom build doesn't work on custom ROMs, I tried the build on all the ROMs and the same issue happens.
    It takes time to boot and system crashes, no WIFI and no signal, but iirc it worked fine on older builds, I mean probably something has changed in custom ROMs. Thanks!
    The OP has a huge paragraph about submitting bugs and reports.

inder swami

Feb 13, 2012
    jaipur
    OnePlus 8
    Hi ,

Been looking for a method to install it in my OP8, running OS 11.0.5.5.

As i understand i will have to unlock my bootloader, flash patched boot.img and install this kernel using FKM or EXkm.

Is there any other way?

can i just use PE recovery and flash boot.img from that ?

i dont want to root my device (dont need any specific magisk modules either) and battery life is really bad on stock.

Thanks

Last edited:

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Hi ,

Been looking for a method to install it in my OP8, running OS 11.0.5.5.

As i understand i will have to unlock my bootloader, flash patched boot.img and install this kernel using FKM or EXkm.

Is there any other way?

can i just use PE recovery and flash boot.img from that ?

i dont want to root my device (dont need any specific magisk modules either) and battery life is really bad on stock.

Thanks
    You'll certainly need to unlock your bootloader for this.

*** THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE *** BACK UP IMPORTANT THINGS FIRST ***

You don't have to permanently root your phone, since the OP8 allows you to use 'fastboot boot' to just boot a rooted stock kernel, which you can then use to install BluSpark. I think that the installer detects magisk though, and patches the kernel on install. There may be provisions somewhere for disabling that? But, if you do .. you won't be able to update on a new kernel release without using a magisk patched boot image to do it with.

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
    OnePlus 5T
    OnePlus 6
    blu_spark_r94 release

New build is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 8 Pro and 8T variants which I have, regular OP8 in OOS 11 is said to be working fine by some users.
    You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.
    FKM download configs: oos

Changelog:
    • Build with Google Clang 12.0.4 + LLD linker
    • BACKPORT: lib/lzo: implement run-length encoding (zram default now, better compress/speed ratio)
    • BACKPORT: GKI: hwtracing: Add a driver for disabling coresight clocks (backport from Pixel 5, less idle draw)
    • BACKPORT: lz4: fix kernel decompression speed
    • A couple of build improvements
    • Further disable audit
    • defconfig: enable ZSTD
    • Remove some logspam
    • AnyKernel3 sync
    • For root, Magisk v22.1 or newer is mandatory

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please
    Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free :)

Zinux

• May 17, 2016
    Just flashed the new build and it looks very good honestly, nice work.

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask, I noticed that wq power saving is off by default, is it worth turning it on? I mean I know it's just a toggle to see if it's enabled or not, I don't think that enabling the toggle would turn it on but do you think it's handy? Thanks!

Reactions: eng.stk

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
    OnePlus 5T
    OnePlus 6
    Just flashed the new build and it looks very good honestly, nice work.

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask, I noticed that wq power saving is off by default, is it worth turning it on? I mean I know it's just a toggle to see if it's enabled or not, I don't think that enabling the toggle would turn it on but do you think it's handy? Thanks!
    Well test it yourself and see if it's worth for you.
    I prefer off, never saw profitable gains but feel a bit lack of performance with it on.

Reactions: Zinux

zioloiso

Mar 10, 2012
    I have a question. (No use Google translator 😋)
    IT is not possibly add option 90 Hz for screen? I consider option 90 Hz is optima for comfort and battery life. I dont understand oneplus no add this option. 😐

Reactions: cubeplayer1

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
    OnePlus 5T
    OnePlus 6
    blu_spark_r98 release

New build is up (y)

This kernel is tested for the 8 Pro and 8T variants which I have, regular OP8 in OOS 11 is said to be working fine by some users.
    You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app.

Changelog:
    • Build with Google Clang 12.0.5 + LLD linker
    • Rebase kernel/techpack:audio to OnePlus 8/Pro/T Oxygen OS 11.0.5.5/11.0.8.11
    • kernel: sched: walt: fix window ravg HZ dependency
    • fs: exfat: sync with v5.8-1arter97
    • Added a couple build improvements
    • Remove some logspam and debug
    • net/wireguard: merge v1.0.20210424

Keep in mind: I will give no active support for custom ROMs (including OOS based ones).
    I am mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).

No mirrors please

chorba69

Mar 8, 2012
    Hi y'all. I decided to go back from custom roms to stock OOS and flash this kernel because I had bad battery life with stock kernel but at the same time I am not impressed by custom rom camera's for making photos of people.

I have Havoc/LineageOS recovery but don't know what to flash.
    Any tips? Thanks

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
    OnePlus 5T
    OnePlus 6
    Finally OnePlus decided to update their github
    Love your kernel, idk if it's placebo but every time I flash it on top of stock I feel it is so much smoother <3
    Yeah, it's pretty smooth and it shows.
    Took some effort, but I'm happy how things turned out.
    Thanks for the kernel! I have never flashed custom kernels before, decided to try it on my device OP 8 Pro. Flashed with FKmanager. Everything is fine.
    Welcome, enjoy the sparks :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      blu_spark_r98 release

New build is up (y)

Changelog:

No mirrors please
      blu_spark_r101 release

New build is up (y)

Changelog:
      • Revert "fs: exfat: sync with v5.8-1arter97"
      • defconfig: disable IKHEADERS
      • AnyKernel3 updates sync

No mirrors please
      Typo?? ROFLMAO I'm dying.
      Google translator 😂
      Finally OnePlus decided to update their github
      Love your kernel, idk if it's placebo but every time I flash it on top of stock I feel it is so much smoother <3
      Yeah, it's pretty smooth and it shows.
      Took some effort, but I'm happy how things turned out.
      Thanks for the kernel! I have never flashed custom kernels before, decided to try it on my device OP 8 Pro. Flashed with FKmanager. Everything is fine.
      Welcome, enjoy the sparks :)
      I have been testing for three days and it looks great. I used a year of your kernels on an OP 7T. Great job.
      DWHxIK

Kernel features:
      • Build with Google Clang version 12.0.5 + LLD linker
      • Full -O2 build with device and target flags enhanced, build improvements and compiler fixes, etc
      • Less is more: stockish OP8 builds based on OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250 for max stability
      • Systemless installer (doesn't touch system partition, OTA friendly), AnyKernel3 backend (compatible with autoflash apps)
      • Removed some debug and logging options
      • ARM enhanced performance and battery patches
      • CVE security patches, general upstream and CAF fixes for important subsystems
      • Modded schedutil governor merged from latest CAF sm8250 patchset
      • No OC, use 300HZ base timer frequency
      • msm_performance touchboost toggle on/off (enabled by default), tweaked cpu_boost driver
      • Enhanced TCP methods (westwood is default), Network tweaks and updated drivers
      • Several I/O control tweaks, added schedulers ZEN v2 is default, advanced filesystems enabled (F2FS, ExFAT, NTFS, CIFS & NFS)
      • ZRAM Swap (LZO-RLE default) and with file disabled, LZ4 and ZSTD are available
      • Vibrator Strength tunable and Gesture Haptic Feedback control (touchpanel and FPR)
      • KGSL fixes and general improvements for GPU driver
      • adrenoboost ready (disabled by default)
      • Backlight min brightness option
      • Gamepad support enabled (xbox, ps4, switch)
      • USB Fast Charge (USB mode up to 900mA with MTP on)
      • FS fsync toggle on/off
      • Wakelock blockers available
      • wireguard support
      • CDROM emulation on mass_storage (compatible with DriveDroid 0.10.36+)
      • Compatible with Kernel Adiutor, EXKM, FKM and others

DOWNLOAD KERNEL ZIP
      FKM download configs: oos | custom
      (No mirrors please)​

Setup and troubleshoot: To install just flash the zip on a stock setup with either TWRP or autoflash kernel app.
      If you come from other kernel or have any issues, you should restore your stock boot.img or dirty flash your ROM before flashing blu_spark zip to avoid problems. Also uninstall or clean data of any kernel control app you're using.
      If you are upgrading between blu_spark versions, just flash the kernel zip.

About bugs and reports: don't bother to post if a log isn't ready or without steps so the behavior can be replicated. I only active support stock OOS ROM with NO mods whatsoever (apart from root). That includes NO support if using xposed, Magisk with added modules, etc.
      If you're using custom ROMs (including stock based ones) and OOS Open Betas you're much on your own. I'm mostly interested on debugging stuff in stock and stable OOS.
      Also try not to spam the thread with OT. There's threads for all kind of stuff, use them.

Going back to stock: This kernel installer doesn't change your filesystem. You can backup your boot.img with TWRP or kernel app before flashing blu_spark if you want to go back to full stock or just dirty flash your full ROM.

Source Code: https://github.com/engstk/op8
      Don't forget to hit thanks, it's free ;)

OnePlus 8 Pro development unit donated by OnePlus. Big shouts to them :)
      Very proud of being on the OnePlus Developer Program, special thanks to dev relations team.
      blu_spark_r94 release

New build is up (y)

Changelog:
      • Build with Google Clang 12.0.4 + LLD linker
      • BACKPORT: lib/lzo: implement run-length encoding (zram default now, better compress/speed ratio)
      • BACKPORT: GKI: hwtracing: Add a driver for disabling coresight clocks (backport from Pixel 5, less idle draw)
      • BACKPORT: lz4: fix kernel decompression speed
      • A couple of build improvements
      • Further disable audit
      • defconfig: enable ZSTD
      • Remove some logspam
      • AnyKernel3 sync

No mirrors please
      blu_spark r44 release

New build is up :highfive:

This kernel is only tested for the Pro variant which I have, regular OP8 support may come in the future.
      You can now use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app :highfive:

blu_spark_r44 release
      • Build with Google Clang 11.0.4 + LLD linker
      • Synchronize codes for OnePlus 8 Oxygen OS 10.5.12.IN21AA and OnePlus 8 Pro Oxygen OS 10.5.13.IN11AA (no changes)
      • CAF update and fixes: arm64 kernel, mm, scheduler, ufs
      • Add some build more build fixes and improvements, remove some cruft and debugging
      • Revert "msm: kgsl: use kmem_cache pool for draw objects"
      • wireguard updates (v1.0.20200729)
      • wifi driver update (custom)
      • For root, stable Magisk 20.4 or newer is mandatory

I am only interested on debugging stuff in stock and stable OOS (with logs and reproducible steps to replicate the issue).
      Don't spam this thread with LOS or other ROMs stuff like "this don't work, my app doesn't open, etc" or debugging features.
      Also don't go spam and bug reporting on ROM threads if using this.

No mirrors please
      If you like my work, donations are always welcome.
      Don't forget to hit thanks and rate the thread nicely, it's free :)
      blu_spark_r74 release

New build is up :highfive:

You can use FKM download kernel feature, just import the links bellow in the app :highfive:

Changelog:
      • Build with Google Clang 11.0.5 + LLD linker
      • Couple build improvements
      • CAF updates: scsi/ufs
      • f2fs: set ioprio of GC kthread to idle, Demote GC thread to idle scheduler class
      • printk: fix invalid-free on devkmsg_write(), use buffer from the stack space
      • defconfig: remove some cruft
      • Add A11 custom ROM variant
      • Latest Magisk v21.1 mandatory for root in A11 (beta atm)

No mirrors please
      If you like my work, donations are always welcome.
      Don't forget to hit thanks and rate the thread nicely, it's free :)
      blu_spark_r98 release

New build is up (y)

Changelog:

No mirrors please
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone