• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL] CleanSlate R2.9.4 |S2S|VIB|AdBlock|FPS|FlashLight|WireGrd [Oct6]

Search This thread

mascian

Nov 9, 2004
Italy
I tried to run manually update; I have placed firmware.zip (*.78) in the root of the sdcard and rebooted. Notification update appears, but the update fails (tried several times).
Can I solve it in another way?
@tbalden
P.S.: if I want to try the Kirisakura kernel (which uses the same applications as yours), I need the boot image version *.70; do you have it?
THX

tbalden

Recognized Developer
I tried to run manually update; I have placed firmware.zip (*.78) in the root of the sdcard and rebooted. Notification update appears, but the update fails (tried several times).

@tbalden

P.S.: if I want to try the Kirisakura kernel (which uses the same applications as yours), I need the boot image version *.70; do you have it?

THX

I'm not sure it's possible to update from .70 to. 78, haven't tried. I'll later
Why do you need boot image .70 to update to kiri?, I'm not sure I understand. You can update on top of cleanslate in case of kiri

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

tbalden

Recognized Developer

@tbalden

THX
Have you tried the full firmware and that fits region?

mascian

Nov 9, 2004
Italy
I'm not sure it's possible to update from .70 to. 78, haven't tried. I'll later
Why do you need boot image .70 to update to kiri?, I'm not sure I understand. You can update on top of cleanslate in case of kiri

Ah, okay... then I can go around directly. Thanks, I'll try :good:

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Have you tried the full firmware and that fits region?

No, tbalden... I found only the file OTA.zip, about 120 Mb.

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Ah, okay... then I can go around directly. Thanks, I'll try :good:

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

No, tbalden... I found only the file OTA.zip, about 120 Mb.
Can't find it myself either yet. Ota zip is not enough for unlocked devices of asus

tbalden

Recognized Developer
After many days of trial and error and many hiccups, there's light at the end of the tunnel to bring back rootless adblocking k.adaway in hopefully full glory. Also a bit of experiencing, both first Pixel 4 kernel and then Asus rog3 works with this approach, with slightly different implementation... Woohoo :)

Extending the uci/userland combo and a new method to add built-in binary files into the kernel, the kernel can be packaged together with the adblocking hosts file.
Then with setting proper selinux attributes on the hosts file, I managed to have adblocking, toggled without reboot on/off, for all browsers and some in app ads.. as back in good old days on android 7 :).

This is managed with local blocking, the blocked dns calls for advertisement sites won't leave the phone and it's not needed to use third party dns servers like adguard dns.

Also no permissive selinux will happen while the phone is decrypted, only when booting and still encrypted will this setting get applied, using permissive in that first few seconds, making it more secure than initially I managed with decrypted data time permissive selinux , which is usually better avoided if possible.

Needs a lot of extended tests , as along the way I had some issues with corrupted files, so I won't yet let it out. But still wanted to share some good news.
View attachment 5106983

tbalden

Recognized Developer
- Update - 1.6.0 -

This update is interesting for users who still don't plan to use Magisk, and need Adblocking without third party adblocking DNS providers

K.AdAway built-in kernel hosts
- Dynamically switchable without reboot from Config app - Force stop the browser/app to let the block/unblock take effect
- Doesn't require Permissive SELinux after decryption, does the job before decryption
- Mostly all apps, not just Chrome will have this feature working (Firefox, in-app Google ads), except YouTube and streaming apps
- Fixed adblock hosts file built into kernel from SteveBlack hosts https://github.com/tbalden/android_kernel_asus_sm8250/blob/cleanslate_q/binaries/hosts
--- needs new Cleanslate config app version 2.15.4 - option is in Gestures & Extras tab

- Make sure to have your data backed up this time on Google or elsewhere, I have done extended testing, but as this is a brand new feature/approach, I really recommend that

- minor fix for long tap corner gesture, now correctly, long taps won't register on the UI when using with pull down notifications mode, and will correctly stop to track for swipe gesture after that long tap

CleanSlate Q 1.6.0 Downloads:
Rooted installer zip:
CleanSlate Q 1.6.0: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682950082
Non rooted boot image base wwe 2008.78 :
boot image CS 1.6.0: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682950081

Cleanslate Config App free version 2.15.4
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682949477

Read first post in thread for installation details.

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Been working on something I've been circling around for a few years now, and these last few features, like adblock and using property settings while unencrypted and using permissive selinux temporarily.

I always wanted to add a way to create additional permissions for the kernel without switching to permissive selinux, but the solution always eluded me, being it a pretty complex topic.

But now after the last weeks, trying to grasp how it works, I've finally found a way, found the right place to add this kind of temporarily elevating the permissions of only the kernel side machinations.

So it's finally here, and I dubbed it already with a name, "kernel permissive selinux".

I'm replacing the previous "fully permissive for a few seconds before decryption" approach with the kernel permissive mode's refined process. Again it's only used temporarily for the shortest time, making sure the elevation is not lasting more than the bare minimum needed.

Testing and releasing it in a few days.

mkljn

Oct 5, 2020
Black crush issue with rog 3

Are black crush issue and colour accuracy resolved with this kernel?

mkljn

Oct 5, 2020
No. Let me know where do you find a solution for that, so I can take a look.

Enabling "Disable HW Overlays" in Developer Mode is solving black crush issue associated with online video players. But it may create some rendering problems. Can anyone confirm that this is a fixable software issue and not the hardware issue?

tachiquan3

Oct 20, 2013
Enabling "Disable HW Overlays" in Developer Mode is solving black crush issue associated with online video players. But it may create some rendering problems. Can anyone confirm that this is a fixable software issue and not the hardware issue?
Wow thanks! Somehow lessen the issue.

Last edited:

jcliu0

Sep 3, 2015
gonna ask stupid stuff here, if i flash the boot image CS 1.6.0 will it delete my data on the phone?

Top Liked Posts