[KERNEL] CleanSlate R2.9.7 |S2S|VIB|AdBlock|FPS|FlashLight|WireGrd [Apr 1]

Search This thread

tbalden

Recognized Developer
- Update Android Q Stable - 1.7.0 -

Back LED tweaks feature
- Tweak back LEDs of ROG3 phone. Some options:
---- Make Aura LED breathe instead of strobes (useful for notifications)
---- Use bright back RGB LED together with Aura LED strobe mode too without using the ASUS Lightning Case
------- (try a translucent case, it looks very nice even face up)
---- Use stock 'System lighting' settings, e.g. for Notifications to set the bright/Aura RGB LED colors.
---- possibility to block LEDs in proximity (like pocket)
---- Needs 3.0.6 CleanSlate Config app

Android 10
CleanSlate Q 1.7.0 Downloads:

Rooted installer zip:
CleanSlate Q 1.7.0: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675575992

Non rooted, Android Q image (Based on: 1-17.0823.2009.98)
boot image CS 1.7.0: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675575991

CleanSlate Config app 3.0.6: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675575990

Read first post in thread for installation details.
Also please note that the Aura Notification can be quite hectic, times when it shows, when it doesn't. But by my tests, works as good as it can for the System Lighting Settings that you set for different App notifications.

Last edited:

mascian

Nov 9, 2004
Italy
Sorry @tbalden,
I would like to return the Rog3 with stock recovery and use only your kernel (now I have Captain_Throwback TWRP); for flashing stock recovery, the command I have to use is always the same (?):
fastboot flash recovery_a stock.img
fastboot flash recovery_b stock.img

... and where can I download stock.img?

Or it's enough to relocate the bootloader?
fastboot oem asus-lock

Thank you very much

Last edited:

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Sorry @tbalden,
I would like to return the Rog3 with stock recovery and use only your kernel (now I have Captain_Throwback TWRP); for flashing stock recovery, the command I have to use is always the same (?):
fastboot flash recovery_a stock.img
fastboot flash recovery_b stock.img

... and where can I download stock.img?

Or it's enough to relocate the bootloader?
fastboot oem asus-lock

Thank you very much
No, don't ever relock a phone with custom stuff, boot loader refuses to boot non signed partitions.

Hmm well, the full firmware zip contains all partitions in the payload binary inside. I'm not sure how you can reflash the whole zip in a simple way. I guess there are ways maybe found in the other forum threads.

You can find a payload extract python script as well on GitHub that can extract all partitions like recovery from the bin file, after unzipping the full ota zip. If all is stock you could relock, but then you can't flash this kernel or any stuff.

Sent from my ASUS Obiwan using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mascian

Nov 9, 2004
Italy
You can find a payload extract python script as well on GitHub that can extract all partitions like recovery from the bin file, after unzipping the full ota zip. If all is stick you could relock, but then you can't flash this kernel or any stuff.

Thanks, I'll try to search the files :good:

paulybuoy

Jun 16, 2014
Perth
This v Kirasukara

Hey dude thanks for your hard work making this great kernel.
What is the pros and cons of your kernel here, vs the Kirasukara which has yours and its own security features?
Do you recommend yours here over Kirasukara?

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Hey dude thanks for your hard work making this great kernel.
What is the pros and cons of your kernel here, vs the Kirasukara which has yours and its own security features?
Do you recommend yours here over Kirasukara?

Hey,
Well, that's not the nicest question by xda etiquette, usually this should be discussed in General discussions and not the kernel thread.
But @Freak07 and also I are very nice guys :D and are not offended easily.
So here's my answer: I can recommend both!
Myself I rely on the phone to be very stable, using it for work, critical tasks. So I prefer to give the slightest chance, possibly zero chance, to issues.
That said sometimes I can derp my kernel as well, and it happens once in a while.

This kernel is really very much close to stock, patches are as little intrusive as possible to the original kernel behavior. It's kept much in sync with ASUS sources, no external upstream changes from CAF or upstream linux, or other sources.

Kiri have those. It can benefit you (read the excellent descriptions please that Freak07 provides). It's very well tested, I'm aware of that, it's tested for longer periods. Rationally there's a higher chance for issues when upstream/CAF is merged into kernels, but Freak07 makes every bit of testing to release those things stable.

So, all original posts you can read for each kernel, and can decide for yourself, what you prefer. :)

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Working on some additional tweak possibilities for back LEDs, especially related to how it behaves based on phone being face down or not face down. Especially useful when I just want to stop the LEDs with turning the phone face down, for the use case when using it with a translucent case, halo on the edges type of notifications.

Screenshot_20201103-183429136.jpg

Danishblunt

Jul 2, 2015
Hey tbalden, I have a question since I'm curious. I can see that this kernel doesn't have KCAL support which as far as I read is caused by the fact that the display is being controlled by a chip from pixelworks instead of qualcomm, however Oneplus 8 pro has the same thing going on iirc and yet it has KCAL support from your kernel. What exacly is the difference between the Rog3 and OP8pro displays behaviour making the KCAL implementation not possible on the Rog3?

P.S I really love your work

paulybuoy

Jun 16, 2014
Perth
Hey,
Well, that's not the nicest question by xda etiquette, usually this should be discussed in General discussions and not the kernel thread.
But @Freak07 and also I are very nice guys :D and are not offended easily.
So here's my answer: I can recommend both!
Myself I rely on the phone to be very stable, using it for work, critical tasks. So I prefer to give the slightest chance, possibly zero chance, to issues.
That said sometimes I can derp my kernel as well, and it happens once in a while.

This kernel is really very much close to stock, patches are as little intrusive as possible to the original kernel behavior. It's kept much in sync with ASUS sources, no external upstream changes from CAF or upstream linux, or other sources.

Kiri have those. It can benefit you (read the excellent descriptions please that Freak07 provides). It's very well tested, I'm aware of that, it's tested for longer periods. Rationally there's a higher chance for issues when upstream/CAF is merged into kernels, but Freak07 makes every bit of testing to release those things stable.

So, all original posts you can read for each kernel, and can decide for yourself, what you prefer. :)

Haha apologies for breaking the XDA etiquette, I'm quite new to posting on here :cowboy:
Cheers for the response tho, love your work ??

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Hey tbalden, I have a question since I'm curious. I can see that this kernel doesn't have KCAL support which as far as I read is caused by the fact that the display is being controlled by a chip from pixelworks instead of qualcomm, however Oneplus 8 pro has the same thing going on iirc and yet it has KCAL support from your kernel. What exacly is the difference between the Rog3 and OP8pro displays behaviour making the KCAL implementation not possible on the Rog3?

P.S I really love your work

Rog3 isn’t using the iris chip. It’s however using the software only solution from the same company.
The 8pro and the rog3 are not the same in this regard.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...s-First-Soft-Iris-Launch-in-ROG-Phone-II.html

Article is for rog2, but the same is used in rog3.

Danishblunt

Jul 2, 2015
Rog3 isn’t using the iris chip. It’s however using the software only solution from the same company.
The 8pro and the rog3 are not the same in this regard.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...s-First-Soft-Iris-Launch-in-ROG-Phone-II.html

Article is for rog2, but the same is used in rog3.

According to multiple sources the Rog3 does use the Iris 5 chip and the software solution to add even more features (these sources are news and blog posters so they might simply be false as they probably don't know much about the actual detail) . I was wondering where is this software running? It doesn't seem to be an android application at least I couldn't find it. I'm wondering because the software is obviously causing massive gammashifts which is causing heavy color banding especially in darker scenes which people also refer to as "Black crush" and I want to see if there is any way to get access to the software, override it or disable it completely. When trying to inform myself on the software solution the description are all rather vague and point towards something that in the PC equivalent would something like a BIOS. Do you possibly have more information on how exacly pixelworks drives the display?

EDIT:
https://www.xda-developers.com/pixe...ssor-android-display-experience-oppo-find-x2/
I read this article and it seems that the other sources might be wrong about chip and software as according to the XDA article a combination of both wouldn't make much sense at all. That being said I'm still wondering how exacly the "soft" solution is actually supposed to work. It looks like it's "embedded" into the SoC which doesn't make much sense to me at least.

Last edited:

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
According to multiple sources the Rog3 does use the Iris 5 chip and the software solution to add even more features (these sources are news and blog posters so they might simply be false as they probably don't know much about the actual detail) . I was wondering where is this software running? It doesn't seem to be an android application at least I couldn't find it. I'm wondering because the software is obviously causing massive gammashifts which is causing heavy color banding especially in darker scenes which people also refer to as "Black crush" and I want to see if there is any way to get access to the software, override it or disable it completely. When trying to inform myself on the software solution the description are all rather vague and point towards something that in the PC equivalent would something like a BIOS. Do you possibly have more information on how exacly pixelworks drives the display?

EDIT:
https://www.xda-developers.com/pixe...ssor-android-display-experience-oppo-find-x2/
I read this article and it seems that the other sources might be wrong about chip and software as according to the XDA article a combination of both wouldn't make much sense at all. That being said I'm still wondering how exacly the "soft" solution is actually supposed to work. It looks like it's "embedded" into the SoC which doesn't make much sense to me at least.

Yes as you mentioned yourself, these blogs are wrong. There´s not the dedicated Iris chip that other phones have.
As far as I´m aware it´s a software daemon running in the background. It´s probably tied into the framwork and asus splendid manager as well. As of now I haven´t really found anything in the kernel.
I don´t know of any way to alter how it processes the display.
I think I found some files with iris in it a while ago. vendor/etc, vendor/bin if I remember correctly. I think they may be encrypted, but I didn´t find a way to open them.

Danishblunt

Jul 2, 2015
Yes as you mentioned yourself, these blogs are wrong. There´s not the dedicated Iris chip that other phones have.
As far as I´m aware it´s a software daemon running in the background. It´s probably tied into the framwork and asus splendid manager as well. As of now I haven´t really found anything in the kernel.
I don´t know of any way to alter how it processes the display.
I think I found some files with iris in it a while ago. vendor/etc, vendor/bin if I remember correctly. I think they may be encrypted, but I didn´t find a way to open them.

The thing is that even when people flashed custom roms on their Rog2 they didn't notice a difference in display quality, which should have happened since LineageOS doesn't have pixelworks's software. That's why I assume it's deeper than simply a service on android, that and I simply couldn't find any service that has anything to do with the display. You said you found some iris files in the kernel, can you try and bork those to see if they change display quality? The key to implement KCAL might be as "simple" as break pixelworks software and implement KCAL normally as when I tested "color changer free" (app on playstore) i noticed it got triggered a couple of times which means pixelworks software was conflicting with it but it did apply the colors and kept applying them aka winning over the iris software.

The shifting gamma on Rog3 is starting to become a real issue and ASUS don't really seem to be able to fix it the right way, they try to mitigate it by applying an overlay which washes out the colors and is just a patchwork at this point.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
The thing is that even when people flashed custom roms on their Rog2 they didn't notice a difference in display quality, which should have happened since LineageOS doesn't have pixelworks's software. That's why I assume it's deeper than simply a service on android, that and I simply couldn't find any service that has anything to do with the display. You said you found some iris files in the kernel, can you try and bork those to see if they change display quality? The key to implement KCAL might be as "simple" as break pixelworks software and implement KCAL normally as when I tested "color changer free" (app on playstore) i noticed it got triggered a couple of times which means pixelworks software was conflicting with it but it did apply the colors and kept applying them aka winning over the iris software.

The shifting gamma on Rog3 is starting to become a real issue and ASUS don't really seem to be able to fix it the right way, they try to mitigate it by applying an overlay which washes out the colors and is just a patchwork at this point.

they have. every custom roms is using asus vendor, which contains the pixelworks stuff.

you may have misread my previous post. I haven´t found parts of pixelworks or iris in the kernel. It´s on /vendor.

We´re looking into the display stuff ourselves. But having KCAL won´t make the "black crush" on low brightness disappear.
The apps I found on playstore, have nothing in common with KCAL. They just use the android api to draw an overlay over the screen. Similar to what asus does since a few updates, when watching a video and the device is rotated to landscape.

Last edited:

Danishblunt

Jul 2, 2015
they have. every custom roms is using asus vendor, which contains the pixelworks stuff.

you may havec misread my previous post. I haven´t found parts of pixelworks or iris in the kernel. It´s on /vendor.

My bad. I'm not very experienced with Android (usually doing other stuff such as BIOS modding on PC's etc.). I'll look into the /vendor partition, thanks for the informations :)

EDIT: Black crush can be fixed by fixing the gammashift, as it's caused by exacly that. You can reproduce the same effect on normal LCD/OLED monitors by messing with the gamma levels. So as long KCAL can control gamma, you have a recipe for a fix.

While you're correct about most apps drawing an overlay, this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.omegacentauri.red&hl=en_US&gl=US
doesn't.

It actually changes how the display drives the display, hence it caused some conflicts with pixelworks software, overlay software don't cause any issues with pixelworks. I haven't decompiled the app or anything but all I can tell is that it's not an overlay due to features such as inverted colors which isn't possible with an overlay. This is why before even looking into the app I first need to find out how to get rid of pixelworks entirely as even if I would decompile the app or figure out how to make an app that takes control over the display, there will be some severe performance issues due to constant fighting over the display control.

Last edited:

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
My bad. I'm not very experienced with Android (usually doing other stuff such as BIOS modding on PC's etc.). I'll look into the /vendor partition, thanks for the informations :)

EDIT: Black crush can be fixed by fixing the gammashift, as it's caused by exacly that. You can reproduce the same effect on normal LCD/OLED monitors by messing with the gamma levels. So as long KCAL can control gamma, you have a recipe for a fix.

While you're correct about most apps drawing an overlay, this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.omegacentauri.red&hl=en_US&gl=US
doesn't.

It actually changes how the display drives the display, hence it caused some conflicts with pixelworks software, overlay software don't cause any issues with pixelworks. I haven't decompiled the app or anything but all I can tell is that it's not an overlay due to features such as inverted colors which isn't possible with an overlay. This is why before even looking into the app I first need to find out how to get rid of pixelworks entirely as even if I would decompile the app or figure out how to make an app that takes control over the display, there will be some severe performance issues due to constant fighting over the display control.

absolutely no problem :) it would be nice people joining the ranks to start modding on the rog phones. I had hoped other people might start looking at things too.

Yeah getting KCAL to work would be definitely nice. However if solving the black crush would be as simple as changing a value on a slider I guess asus might have fixed it already. The last updates changed stuff in this regard, even the .98 tuned some things further from what I could notice.
I welcome everybody to take a look at it :) I tried to enable it on the rog2 and everything I got to was crahsing the phone, when I tried to enable the necessary parts in the kernel driver and dts. The situation might be different on the ROG3 and I know @tbalden is also a bit interested in looking into this.

Intersting, I did not know about this particular app. Thanks for sharing! Seems it´s not open-source though, so we have no idea how it´s working :)

Danishblunt

Jul 2, 2015
absolutely no problem :) it would be nice people joining the ranks to start modding on the rog phones. I had hoped other people might start looking at things too.

Yeah getting KCAL to work would be definitely nice. However if solving the black crush would be as simple as changing a value on a slider I guess asus might have fixed it already. The last updates changed stuff in this regard, even the .98 tuned some things further from what I could notice.
I welcome everybody to take a look at it :) I tried to enable it on the rog2 and everything I got to was crahsing the phone, when I tried to enable the necessary parts in the kernel driver and dts. The situation might be different on the ROG3 and I know @tbalden is also a bit interested in looking into this.

Intersting, I did not know about this particular app. Thanks for sharing! Seems it´s not open-source though, so we have no idea how it´s working :)

Sadly you're mistaken the .98 updates and .99 updates are just small tuning to the overlay they use. If you go into developer and switch of "HW overlay" you'll get real blacks even at 100% brightness, but with heavy black crush and you'll notice we are basiically at square 1 with an overlay as a hotfix.
The problem is that ASUS doesn't have access to pixelworks software, hence they are trying the patchwork they are currently using.
I looked into the /vendor/bin partition and found the Iris config there, however any modifications on the /vendor partition seems impossible even after mounting and pre OS with TWRP doesn't seem to let me do anything with it. I'll have to see whats up with that but thanks to the conversation I now have a much better idea how pixelworks software is working. I'll see if I can get more information out of the config as it does seem to be a binary file but with some text editors it at least links to some interesting files in the /system partition where I might find more clues. If I find a way to disable it, I'll let you know, after that you can attempt the KCAL implementation and see if all the crashes, issues or simply no effect where indeed caused by pxielsworks shenanigans.

Top Liked Posts