[KERNEL][CM7][Froyo] Dalingrin's OC kernel w/fixed IO perf (quadrant) & 1.2Ghz test

Search This thread

cowballz69

Jul 10, 2007
This kernel ran great with on nookie froyo at 1.19 ghz and offered a very silky smooth and responsive ui but had severe wifi looping and would freeze on some programs like when loading images on tapatalk. The short bench on setcpu was 160 Ms which is trademark for a fast system.

Had to revert to a different kernel though because no wifi sucks on the nook :(

Hope someone can fix this problem

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

also dolphin will keep force closing while using this kernel on nookie, wish i could keep using this kernel aswell seams speedy

ax0r

Jan 17, 2010
Sacramento
I've managed to make the 1190MHz kernel run stable with CM7 n31. It doesn't seem to lag like the 1100MHz did last night.

Battery life is good, Bluetooth works... if video wasn't so laggy the Nook would finally finally have finished converting to a full-fledged tablet. I can't wait until CM7 gets proper video playback.

The only issue is though I must have flashed a new CM7 and this kernel some dozen times before it was stable enough to use. Others who are having issues probably just haven't flashed enough times? :p

CM7 seems very slow on the ui, everything stutters no matter what kernel I use.. when I use Nookie Froyo its silky smooth..

maybe it has something to do with video acceleration?

mad1100

Jul 3, 2010
So was I the only one who got constant freezing right after boot finished? I could not apply either kernel running the latest CM7 nightly. Although I had no problems using the older 1.1 OC kernel. I tried doing a complete wipe as well and this did not solve the problem.

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate

opentofalling

Oct 1, 2010
...if video wasn't so laggy the Nook would finally finally have finished converting to a full-fledged tablet. I can't wait until CM7 gets proper video playback.

nookie custom + wretchedblue achieves this. I suspect CM7 will surpass in due time, but we're already there bud... Unfortunately, I couldn't get either of these kernels working stable with nookie... Even still...it's silky smooth for the most part.

Shawn_230

CM7 seems very slow on the ui, everything stutters no matter what kernel I use.. when I use Nookie Froyo its silky smooth..

maybe it has something to do with video acceleration?

But the thing is Froyo is missing Bluetooth and some other stuff like location-based services that CM7 has working already.

Especially since the last update which has apparently made video a lot better I don't really see any benefits to Nookie Froyo... CM7 isn't that much slower to me.

I'm going to try the new CM7 dev build with improved video... the best case scenario with this 1190MHz kernel is that sometimes it's nice but sometimes it lags horribly, and sometimes it freezes when I reset and it tries to set overclock settings requiring me to hard reboot a bunch of times before it can successfully boot Android and set 1190MHz clock speed.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
could you adjust your kernel to the newest oc-kernels available with fixed video?

As i see others have said, there really is no need. To be fair, this was never "my" kernel; i fixed a bug in the kernel, but it was still Dal's codebase through and through. That said, i agree, people should begin using Dalingrin's builds again, since that is where the bulk of the work will be.

I want to say thanks for all the great feedback. I would like to keep working on kernel stuff, but i think the most logical way is to keep the changes in one code base (Dal's). I don't think it does the community allot of good to have multiple revisions floating around out there..

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
As i see others have said, there really is no need. To be fair, this was never "my" kernel; i fixed a bug in the kernel, but it was still Dal's codebase through and through. That said, i agree, people should begin using Dalingrin's builds again, since that is where the bulk of the work will be.

I want to say thanks for all the great feedback. I would like to keep working on kernel stuff, but i think the most logical way is to keep the changes in one code base (Dal's). I don't think it does the community allot of good to have multiple revisions floating around out there..

Thanks for finding the issue whilst I was gone. If you are familiar with git feel free to make pull requests. I think that would be the best/easiest way to contribute. Same goes for anybody who wants to help.

Another issue we need to tackle is the weird wifi reconnect issues. I've tried recompiling the wifi module but haven't had any success with it yet.

MobileAllStar

Aug 13, 2010
Why can't I flash this after downloading? Do I need to rename it or something? Is this not a flashable zip?

Nburnes

Sep 4, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
why not? However I agree. I for one was freezing at 1.1 as well as 1ghz. stuttering all over the place. User experience was lacking instead of gaining anything. I am also only one user and others seem to have had some success using it. My 2 cents on the situation.

Because this is outdated. Both are built off Dalingrin's source, and the I/O fixes implemented in this were already added to Dalingrin's main kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [KERNEL][CM7][Froyo] Dalingrin's OC kernel w/fixed IO perf (quadrant) & 1.2Ghz test

Disclaimer: As always, flash at your own risk.

Background
    So, recently there has been alot of debate over why quadrant (and to some extent, system performance) was lower with the OC kernel, as compared to the stock CM7 kernel. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002504) As part of my examining the problem, i went looking for a solution. Starting from the first OC CM7 kernel, i would run quadrant and see how the performance fared. I finally found the issue appeared in the 3-08a kernel; using that, i rolled back changes until i found the commit remove to fix the issue. Specifically, it seems to be somewhere in the 2.6.29.6 update: https://github.com/dalingrin/nook_kernel/commits/gingerbread-exp

In short, using his source, i have compiled a kernel with fixed I/O performance, and all his other tweaks (interactive gov, etc).

So, I want to make this clear; this is still dalingrin's kernel; in no way do i wish to take credit for his work. But, while he is out, work must go on, right?

Information
    Who is this kernel for?
    eMMC Froyo and CM7 users

Will this work on SD cards?
    It may if you manually replace you uImage, but i cannot guarantee it (since i cannot test it)

Is everything working in this release?
    everything like bluetooth and dsp should still be just fine (you may have to do a few hard shutdowns/reboots to kick on BT, like normal).

Kernel Links -3/25/10
    OC kernels (up to 1100Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
    Regular
    http://www.mediafire.com/?k00ruvyulf01y64

Extra network features (PPP, etc)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i9h76wn483tk16v

OC kernel (up to 1190Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?v6d2jpzaynvchde
    For those having problems setting this speed in the CM7 performance settings, give setCPU a try, but don't use profiles. Using set CPU, i am able to get my system stable at 1190, where the CM7 manager instantly locks up.

Feedback
    After flashing, please make note of OVERALL system response. The dip in quadrant scores prompted the fix, but i feel that the system is overall better; I would like some more input if others are seeing this as well.

Any and all feedback is welcome, and I will do what i can for support...
    Thanks for taking care of this while I am gone. Much appreciated.
    The update to *.6 is not necessary anyway.
    When I get back I will revert the *.6 update and compile some of the netfilter/iptables and tun as modules as this seems to be more compatible than compiling them directly into the kernel.
    Just started using CM7 last night (w/bottom keys mod, so the nightly is from a few revisions back), but just installed this kernel (the regular version, w/out the Net adds, which I don't need), wiped cache & Dalvik, rebooted, set OC to 1100 and "performance" in CyangenMod Settings and now getting 1918 Quad score...vs. 1372 on the stock kernel with no OC.

I can definitely live with that score...great work to you and dalingrin!!
    I tried both of these from SD card. The non-net features version boots but posted some terrible #s for me (<700 Quadrant and ~6-7 Linpack); the net features version doesn't boot. Is there something special I need to do with the first kernel to see the benefits? I checked and was clocked to 1.1GHz in CM settings.

Mine on SD Card, CM7 #30

@1100 GHz got 1918 Quadrant; 14.01 Linpack
    @800 MHz got 1347 Quadrant; 10.709 Linpack

uSD 2GB no name, no class :)
    Awesome! 2193 is just insane; i am glad to hear its working for you, since....(

Well that was fun while it lasted. Picked up the NC after an hour of "sleep" and got past lock screen no problem. Opened up QuickPic, at 1190MHz the folder thumbnails never flew by so quickly (I've got 11000 JPEG, about 250Kb each, spread across 94 folders in the eMMC mount). Next checked eMail, it's been syncing with Exchange server OK (wireless set to never sleep). But then fired up Opera Mobile 11, and touchscreen response started acting wonky. Force killed Opera a few times, same touchscreen behavior and pages never finished loading.

Nothing actually froze, so I rebooted. First two attempts locked up prior to lockscreen. Third attempt got past lock-screen but locked up again before I could get to Settings to dial back to 1100MHz. At that point I got out CWR 3.0.1.0 SD, booted into recovery, flashed back to madcat-032511, after which NC booted up no problem. Went into Setting/CyanogenMod/Performance and found clock speed defaulted back to 800MHz, promptly overclocked it back to 1100 MHz, and just now ran Quadrant SE three times and got best score 1966.

I guess 1100MHz is best stable overclock for my NC :(.