• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][CM9][I9000] Mackay kernel ICS Final (4 flavours, 12-Aug-2012)

Search This thread

kasper_h

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
I've done some more testing on OC, but I have decided to stop. It is only giving stability problems. So I removed all OC code again.

New test version: 0.44

Differences compared to 0.37 (latest stable):
-fix charging display for car dock (from CM/pawitp)
-Increase RAM to 396MB (based on DerTeufel's bigmem) - 720p should work with f4k patch
-Voodoo color (I prefer voodoo colour over stock CM behaviour)

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69000552/Mackay_kernel_0.44.zip

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
I've done some more testing on OC, but I have decided to stop. It is only giving stability problems. So I removed all OC code again.

-Increase RAM to 396MB (based on DerTeufel's bigmem) - 720p should work with f4k patch

Do you tweaks the values of Voodoo screen colors inside the kernel?

lippol94

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2010
Cremona

396 MB? 720p recording working? Wow! :)

But I'm a bit confused about voodoo color implementation.. Is this a final decision? I remember so many complaints about green screen when you wake up the phone.
Is that what you want? :p

Great job man btw!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9000 con Tapatalk 2

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
396 MB? 720p recording working? Wow! :)

But I'm a bit confused about voodoo color implementation.. Is this a final decision? I remember so many complaints about green screen when you wake up the phone.
Is that what you want? :p

Great job man btw!

It is a test kernel. Test kernel have features I want to get feedback on. Only stable release (like 0.37) in OP contain features I want to keep in the long run. It's just like with OC, I make a few test kernel, it's not stable, so I remove it.
I actually have no problem at all with the green colour...

And with the 396MB, I never do any 720p recording. A short test I just did worked, but I am not sure whether it works well. So again, that's why it is a test kernel :)

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Do you tweaks the values of Voodoo screen colors inside the kernel?

No, I don't tweak the values. I am a voodoo sound user (in which also colour can be tuned) and I have a good working setup for voodoo colors back from my CM7-days which still works well now :)

Reason to add VC is that, for me at least, whites are really white over the whole brightness range with VC, whereas CM-colours are either white at low brightness (and yellow at high brightness) or white at high brightness (and reddish at low brightness).

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
No, I don't tweak the values. I am a voodoo sound user (in which also colour can be tuned) and I have a good working setup for voodoo colors back from my CM7-days which still works well now :)

Reason to add VC is that, for me at least, whites are really white over the whole brightness range with VC, whereas CM-colours are either white at low brightness (and yellow at high brightness) or white at high brightness (and reddish at low brightness).

Ca you post your values so i can try?

lippol94

Nov 15, 2010
Cremona
I have to report a bug of Voodoo Color.
I don't know what your settings are, but either with stock, alternative or punchy here's what happens:

uploadfromtaptalk1344550894197.jpg

Look at icons in app drawer on the background..
You can see a strange yellowish color on them. Never happened with stock CM colour implementation.
Oh, green screen on waking up is present.

720p recording works fine :)

And with additional ram the phone this snappier!

Regards
Lippol94

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
I have to report a bug of Voodoo Color.
I don't know what your settings are, but either with stock, alternative or punchy here's what happens:

View attachment 1251930

Look at icons in app drawer on the background..
You can see a strange yellowish color on them. Never happened with stock CM colour implementation.
Oh, green screen on waking up is present.

720p recording works fine :)

And with additional ram the phone this snappier!

Regards
Lippol94

That is the first -1 for VC :) I'm curious how others like it... :)

chiwou

Mar 23, 2012
Kassel
Hi

New test version is really smooth and fast, like the huge mem patch, but breaks my 720p recording (Slim ICS)

Not a huge fan of VC, though :)
Couldn't find a good setting

Maybe make two versions or something.
Take care
-Chris

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Hi

New test version is really smooth and fast, like the huge mem patch, but breaks my 720p recording (Slim ICS)

Not a huge fan of VC, though :)
Couldn't find a good setting

Maybe make two versions or something.
Take care
-Chris

Last night my 720p test was successful. Just tried it again and now it failed. I guess the 396 is a bit too much :) I'll try to find something in between.

I prefer to make one kernel version to keep things simple. If the majority doesn't like vc, I'll simply leave it out. For me it is a bit better than CM-stock colors, but different isn't huge enough to make it an essential element :)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9000

Reactions: nchc

lippol94

Nov 15, 2010
Cremona
Preparing an Mackay-kernel-ICS-final at the moment, as I will move from ICS to JB and won't support two kernels (I try to always test my kernel thoroughly, so I only want to develop a kernel for the ROM codebase I am using myself).

Amazing man! That's exactly what I'm planning to do. Pushing out the lastest release of Blueberry and then switch to jelly bean :)
It's like we share the same mind :p

Waiting for stable Mackay Kernel impatiently :)

Reactions: nchc and nguyen47

kasper_h

Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
I plan to finish all my ics work this weekend.

Final stable will be without voodoo colour and 384mb RAM. More RAM = less stable 720p results. And I did hear no-one begging for voodoo :)

Other than that, there will be a few minor bugfixes.

sent from my galaxy tab using XDA Premium HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After building a CM9 kernel with some added features as part of my CM9-UNOFFICIAL-building, I decided to make a separate kernel topic: Mackay Kernel.

This kernel is based on stock CM9-kernel by pawitp.

Today's release will be the final ICS release! From today on I will start working on a JB kernel. First release may take a few weeks.

Because it is a final release, there will be 4 flavours:
    -regular
    -XLmem (396MB RAM, no 720p recording, 720p playback works)
    -VC (Voodoo color)
    -VC+XLmem

If you like a CM9 with the Mackay Kernel included, there is also MackayROM, which is an adapted CM9:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28149230

Changelog:

12 August 2012 - ICS_Final

Changelog
    Additions since previous stable version:
    s5pc110_battery: fix charging display for car dock
    fix freeze when max frequncy is set to 800 MHz
    fixed charging-autostart bug, now the device stays off, and powers on properly (thanks DerTeufel)
    Updated to linux version 3.0.39

General features:
    Build using the July Linaro toolchain
    O3 optimization
    Updated to linux kernel version 3.0.39
    Mackay kernel bootsplash
    Based on a single initramfs & using bootloop detection to prevent bootloops
    Mackay recovery (based on CWM recovery v6.0.1.1)

Governors added:
    SmartassV2 (default)
    Wheatley
    Optimized ondemand/conservative parameters

Schedulers:
    SIO (default)

Added functionality:
    Bigmem (384MB; XLmem of 396 available as well)
    Adaptable vibration intensity (by setting /sys/class/timed_output/duty)
    Improved SD-card read/write speed under windows
    Call volume hack (using Settings>Advanced to set volumes)
    Reduced battery polling interval

Credits:
    -teamhacksung/pawitp for making CyanogenMod work on our ancient phone
    -stratosk/DerTeufel/Mialwe for the inspiration I got from their kernels
    -rootax for providing a high-speed server for high quality downloads

Download: https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/kasperhettinga/sgs/kernel/pre-KK/

Source code:
    Kernel: https://github.com/kasperhettinga/samsung-kernel-aries
    Ramdisk: https://github.com/kasperhettinga/ics-ramdisk/commits/mackay_ramdisk

This kernel has some additions to prevent bootloops. However, if you get into a bootloop you can flash the kernel to be downloaded below with Odin (tar can be used directly) or Heimdall (the zImage should first be extracted from the tar file).
    Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69000552/Mackay-Final/Mackay_Kernel_ICS_Final.tar or http://www.mediafire.com/?pbbhj88n3k0dn33
    The final version of my kernel is finished. See the OP for details. There will be four flavours. From today on, I will start working on JellyBean.
    There is a new kernel in OP, version 0.37.

Main changes compared to previous stable 0.22:
    -Build with July-version of Linaro (was June version for 0.30)
    -O3-optimization
    -CWM6-based Mackay recovery
    -Wheatly governor is back
    first :D

What´s the goal of your kernel?
    Nice to see you building one :).

Goal is to have a basic kernel with some add-ons. There are some full-blown kernels for CM9 like semaphore/devil which give a lot of extras. But I like to keep it closer to stock (with no need for additional kernel apps), but still add a few extras.
    I am trying Linaro + O3 again :)
    I applied your commit for the prebuild modemctl. But...I get the following error during building:
    /home/kasper/android/system/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-2012.06-20120625_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-ld: cannot find drivers/misc/samsung_modemctl/built-in.o: No such file or directory

If I go to kernel/drivers/misc/samsung_modemctl/ folder I see the built-in.o & builtin.o.gcc4.4.3 files there...
    I solved the issue with O3. Problem was that I worked with the stock cm9 build script, and that doesn't work well. So I started using an adapted version of stratosks/trailblazerz and this works. Want to test it myself before sharing...

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9000