[Kernel] Devil2-2.3.2 [4.4.x, 4.3.x] - f2fs Filesystem - Dualboot - 02/01

Search This thread

Maplobats

Oct 12, 2012
Shanghai
Anybody tried formatting their external SD to f2fs? Would it be worth trying? Will the kernel support it? (I would think it would...)
Any benefits/drawbacks to this idea? (I'm on exfat right now...I would prefer ext4, but every time I tried, I had various issues...) If I can find my old 32g sd, I might give it a try...

MrxSiN

Jan 22, 2013
Dungun, MY
can the recovery be updated to the latest philz version so omni open delta update will work.
+ im miss the battery yank profile when on zzmoove.

Mostafa Wael

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
Okay i am downloading the devil3 kernel. Is it a 3.4.y kernel?
Should i flash it normally?
I mean should i select "install zip from sdcard" and select the kernel and flash it? Or is there any special instructions?
Thank you Dominik you are a miracle!!!!! :D :D :victory:

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
can the recovery be updated to the latest philz version so omni open delta update will work.
+ im miss the battery yank profile when on zzmoove.
I'll take a look at open delta

Okay i am downloading the devil3 kernel. Is it a 3.4.y kernel?
Should i flash it normally?
I mean should i select "install zip from sdcard" and select the kernel and flash it? Or is there any special instructions?
Thank you Dominik you are a miracle!!!!! :D :D :victory:

Yes, just flash.
Till now, it's a hybrid and most parts are still 3.0.y, but very important ones are already 3.4

Gesendet von meinem Note II mit Tapatalk 2

I had the same error "set_perm: some changes failed" . I use ext4 again now but I still get this "set_perm: some changes failed" error with some zip packages I tried to install even with Philz and original cwm only twrp give me no error when installing the same zip packages. I flashed a stock rom from sammobile through odin but after installing latest philz recovery (or devil or cwm 6.0.4.7) I still get the same error. With cwm 6.0.4.4 and twrp I get no error. Someone can help me? Big thanks.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
Try to AD 1.7.8
I have installed to AD 1.7.8 with f2f2 and give me a no error.

GT-I9500 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

peluillo

Jan 2, 2012
Granada
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have the option to format cache to F2FS but i can't. When i do this operation my phone doesn't boot. Its safe to format cache to this option or isn't neccesary and can continue with ext4? Btw my phone with stock mk6 and partitions reformatted to F2FS is flying! Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
Ok, will there any way in the future to get a 3.4 kernel on our beloved galaxy S3
thank you!
Note: i am not asking for ETA, i am asking only for the possibility :D

How easy it is to merge rest?

Lähetetty minun GT-I9300 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

It's not easy, but possible. I am mostly lacking the time to work on it.
If only everyone who downloads the kernel/recovery from the op would donate 3 to 5$, I could spend much of my time in coding and it would be done relatively quickly :)

Gesendet von meinem Note II mit Tapatalk 2

gieffe22

Dec 9, 2013
Downloaded and installed Devil3.4_0.1.0-i9300-DUAL-20140209...all work good without any problems...

...smoothness is little better than E version...

...anyway,guys no way to use zzmove battery yanks(is more battery friendly than devil and pegasus and in UI offers the same performance)?

xeizo

Nov 3, 2013
Stockholm
www.xeizo.com
Downloaded and installed Devil3.4_0.1.0-i9300-DUAL-20140209...all work good without any problems...

...smoothness is little better than E version...

...anyway,guys no way to use zzmove battery yanks(is more battery friendly than devil and pegasus and in UI offers the same performance)?

I don't know how much battery you really need, but it is outstanding with devilq imho, I lose like 3-4 procent overnight ...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gieffe22

Dec 9, 2013
I don't know how much battery you really need, but it is outstanding with devilq imho, I lose like 3-4 procent overnight ...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

devilq idle time is very very good...but with my use zzmove battery yanks i can reach 5 hours screen time(pretty costant,i used it for 2 months with boeffla kernel), with devilq and pegasusq i can reach 4 hours screen time more or less...and in ui these governors are less reactive because (if i not wrong) they increase freq slowly respect zzmove...zzmove should increase freq up and down very fast on paper... devilq is more reactive than pegasusq but less than zzmove...

...i'm not a gamer,with this use zzmove battery yanks is the best in terms of battery-performance

Kemby13

Apr 9, 2011
Zadar
Can anyone confirm that wi-fi is working with Devils' new kernel + f2fs + sammy based rom like Archi Droid 1.7.9 or Neat rom 6.5...?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This Kernel is based off the sources of AndreiLux Perseus Kernel (alpha35).
    If you consider to thank me, please also consider to thank him http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1927852

This kernel only supports roms of android version 4.3.x (sammy and aosp) and 4.4.x!

You can dualboot any of those roms

if you were using this kernel on aosp based roms, and want to use another kernel, you need to reflash the rom, of course without any wipe, it's just to restore modified files

Features (changes compared to Perseus):
    - merges samsung open source update12
    - dual sound engine
    - compiled with linaro gcc 4.8.3
    - updated Linux Kernel base to 3.0.101
    -zram, zsmalloc and lowmemorykiller updated from 3.9
    - DevilQ cpu governor (default)
    - block updated from Linux 3.3 (better i/o performance)
    - row i/o scheduler updated from Linux 3.4
    - fiops v2 i/o scheduler
    - working for Aosp and Sammy at once (Big thx to Gokhanmoral for making this possible)
    - Portet Ezekeel's Touchwake Feature (from nexus s)
    - Oc up to 1.8 Ghz
    - Backport from Linux 3.5 smp driver parts
    - Wifi driver updated from note3
    - backported zswap from linux 3.13 (this replaces zram now)
    - backported cpu-boost driver
    - possibility to set high/low power mode for wifi when screen is off
    - LulzactiveQ cpu governor (from siyahkernel, thx again to Gokhanmoral)
    - Hotplug Cpu Governor
    - Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.2#head-1c3e71416a9fdc2f59c1c251a97963f165302b6e
    - improve memcopy/memmove
    - Using Voodoo Sound and Boeffla Sound
    - LED Control by yank555-lu
    - ExFat support (thx to samsung for opensourcing the driver)

if your rom is based off PAC, Bam, Fusion, ... :
    IMPORTANT: As per notice of 01.11.2013, my CM10.2 kernels do NOT support proprietary Custom Rom frameworks anymore. So if your Custom Rom did not implement the generic framework class framework-2.jar but his own naming convention, you will receive a boot loop. Do not cry about this here but advise your Custom rom cooker to fix this. I will not change this ever again.
    The most prominent custom kernels for CM will follow the same approach (aligned between Yank555, Googy, LordBoeffla, Psndna, Temasek and me).

So please do pass this message along to your favorite ROM devs.
    If they don't fix their rom, it won't be compatible with custom kernels any more!

Kernel app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=41346443#post41346443

Dualboot Faq:
    For more detailed instructions, please take a look at this thread from RichMd (thank you for it):
    Dualboot Faq thread

Important: if you want to use this kernel for dualboot, i highly recommend flashing my recovery as well.

General information about the recovery:
    dualboot menu.
    in this menu you can:
    * create the secondary system partition (needed to be run once, if you want to install a second rom)

Install-zip menu:
    you'll notice there is a new menu, where to select what you want to flash.
    • if you select kernel, rom or recovery, the zip gets installed as it is.
    • if you select zipt to pri./sec. filesystem, it is selfexplanary
    • if you select rom to secondary fs, the zip gets modified to install to the sec. fs. IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL IT TO PRIMARY FS LATER SOME TIME, YOU NEED TO REDOWNLOAD THE FILE!
    • if you select rom to primary filesystem, it gets installed there, and you can use the same zip later again.

How to install a second rom:
    make sure you have already created ssecondary system partition! if not, go to dualboot menu and create it now (this may take some minutes)
    • The savest way is the way by using nandroids: if you don't have a nandroid already, create one now. Then just select your backup, and restore it to secondary filesystem.
      you now should already be able to boot into primary or secondary rom (which are both the same now).
      now you can install any other rom as primary.
    • if you want to install a new rom directly as secondary,
      make sure there are no spaces in the filename!,
      then just go to install zip. you'll notice there's a new menu at some point.
      in this menu you can select where you want to install, and what type of file it is.
      if you choose rom to sec. fs, your zip files itself gets modified to be installed to secondary fs. this may take a minute, because the files needs to get zipped again. Imporant: this file is permanently modified. if you think you need it later again, you should redownload it, because the modified one would always install as secondary.

installing a rom as primary, a zip to primary or zip to secondary fs, does not modify the zip.

Additional information:
    • roms coming with an aroma installer are hard to handle, as every dev can place own commands into it. It's impossible for me, to take care of every possibility. Because of this, it should be the best method, to flash a rom with aroma installer as primary one (and then move it to secondary, by using the nandroid method, if you want it to be secondary).

Many Thanks to:
    - RichMD
    - Gokhanmoral
    - Andreilux
    - DAGr8
    - simone201
    - ptmr3
    - Stratosk
    - RolloS
    - kasper_h
    - Philz (for his recovery source, although i had to implement my own touch :p)
    - all the others mentioned in the changelogs
    here is the new recovery now. with this, and the 2.4.7 kernel from previous page, you are able to format and use f2fs instead of ext4. below a guide by a user in my note2 thread:

OK, here is a simple guide to doing it SAFELY (if not simply)
    1. To get full benefits of F2FS every partition except external sdcard should be formatted.
    2. Copy ALL your personal data from INTERNAL sdcard to either your external one or to your pc
    3. Make space on your EXTERNAL sdcard for full backup of system and data of your current running system
    4. That should be about 4GB in most cases, recovery will inform you how much space is required for backup when you attempt to start it, the best chance to have no problems would be to have about 8GB free on external sdcard
    5. Download new recovery and kernel from this thread
    6. Boot into recovery.
    - flash your new recovery
    - reboot recovery (option to do that is found in Power Options>Reboot Recovery)
    - once back in recovery flash new kernel
    - reboot recovery again
    - go to Backup and Restore > Custom Backup and Restore > Custom Backup Job
    - there select : boot, recovery, system, data and cache and tap Start Custom Backup Job
    - select (Important): Backup to /storage/sdcard1
    The backup will take time, for me it took 18 minutes to complete (4GB) and it may look like it has frozen, especially when creating MD5 - be patient
    - once completed go back to main menu
    - enter Mounts and Storage
    - format /system and from submenu select f2fs
    - format /data, /sdcard and secondrom (it will destroy your secondary rom as it is placed in /sdcard so BACKUP it before) and select f2fs from submenu
    - format /cache - you will not have an option to select f2fs (it's not even strictly necessary to format as all /cache data are placed in /data partition and since /data is formatted to f2fs......)
    - go back to main recovery menu
    - tap Backup and Restore
    - tap Restore from /storage/sdcard1
    - select freshly made backup (the date is obvious)
    - wait for some time being good patient person you are
    - go back to main recovery menu
    - tap reboot primary system now
    7. You should have a fully working system now, it's time to restore your personal data from step 2 to internal sdcard

Process finished - that is how I did it.
    I'm very happy with increased speed and responsiveness of the system.

here some additional info about the changes to kernel and recovery:

what's new:
    kernel:
    • added new f2fs filesystem support (supposed to be up to 2 times faster than ext4), backported from linux 3.13
    • introduce the BFQ-v6r2 I/O sched for 3.3
    • block, bfq: add Early Queue Merge (EQM) to BFQ-v6r2 for 3.3.0
    • enable CGROUP_BFQIO by default
    • backport SLUB (memory allocator, very important) from Linux 3.8

Big thanks to arter97 at this point. He sent me the initial f2fs patches, fixed building of bfq io scheduler, as well as had ported slub to 3.3 already.
    • updated block subsystem (io schedulers) to Linux 3.4
    • afsync: replace fput() with fput_light() accordingly
    • cfg80211: Fix memory leak
    • mm: implement WasActive page flag (for improving cleancache)
    • fix triangle away
    • usb: fix 'adb root'

recovery:
    • complete rework of recovery ui (primary and secondary rom need to be selected once in dualboot menu)
      if you can't access dualboot menu, please boot primary or secondary rom with the new kernel once
    • resized secondary system image to 1.9 gb
    • possibility to flash roms to secondary without modifying the zip (you HAVE TO CHOOSE ROM). if this fails, select use workaround (this is the old method) next time
    • added support to format and mount f2fs formated partitions (/system, /data and /cache)
    • if you format data to f2fs (this gives the maximum prformance, you have to select primary rom in dualboot menu, then the option will be in mounts and storage: format /data, /data/media and secondary (please backup before, this wipes your internal sdcard as well))

I'll update the op, once i get confirmed f2fs is working well for you

This has been the work of almost one month every evening.
    Please consider a small donation to show me your appreciation (and i can show my family that i am not just wasting my time :p).

latest kernel can be found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51148539&postcount=1804
    as quoted above, i am leaving home today again, but not without uploading the new kernel for you as well :)
    Changelog:
    02.01.2014:
    + merged mk9 source drop
    + fixed usb connection
    + fixed execution of some init.d scripts
    + changed calculation of next freq in pegasusq (based off a commit by stratosk to ondemand governor, which giot merged into linux 3.11)
    + reverted Sec Oom Killer (maybe causeing some random reboots)
    + switched to latest linaro toolchain (4.8.3 of 12/2013)

26.12.2013:
    + fixed video recording on aosp roms

25.12.2013:
    + cleanly merged update13 (thx to yank555-lu), my previous merge was messed up
    + addded async fsync by htc (ported by faux123)

24.12.2013:
    + merged samsung update13
    + switched back to O2 compiling mode (smaller kernel image, maybe better stability)
    + hardware keys backlight options working for samsung roms as well now
    + re-added oc up to 2 ghz (for those whos device can handle this, mostly added for note2)
    + re-added devil kernel boot logo
    + updated adbd binary to get rid of countless errors in logcat

12.12.2013 part2 ;):
    + samsung 4.3 roms: added new additional mountpoint for external sdcard ( /extSdCard)
    + aosp 4.4.x roms: export path of external storage, needed by some apis

12.12.2013:
    + merged samsung update for note2 (contains fixes for memory management, mali driver, lowmem killer option SEC_OOM_KILLER, new modem driver, ...)
    + backported cpu boost driver
    Code:
    When certain bursty and important events take place, it might take a while
    for the current cpufreq governor to notice the new load and react to it.
    That would result in poor user experience. To alleviate this, the cpu-boost
    driver boosts the frequency of a CPU for a short duration to maintain good
    user experience while the governor catches up.

Specifically, this commit deals with ensuring that when "important" tasks
    migrate from a fast CPU to a slow CPU, the frequency of the slow CPU is
    boosted to be at least as high as the fast CPU for a short duration.

Since this driver enforces the boost by hooking into standard cpufreq
    ADJUST notifiers, it has several advantages:
    - More portable across kernel versions where the cpufreq internals might
      have been rewritten.
    - Governor agnostic and hence works with multiple governors like
      conservative, ondemand, interactive, etc.
    - Does not affect the sampling period/logic of existing governors.
    - Can have the boost period adjusted independent of governor sampling
      period.
    + improve swap per google's suggestion
    + enabled SEC_OOM_KILLER:
    Code:
              This enables 'Android-Style oom-killer'
              The way to select victim by oom-killer provided by
              linux kernel is totally different from android policy.
              Hence, it makes more sense that we select the oom victim
              as android does when LMK is invoked.
    + switched to zswap (backported from linux 3.13) + vnswap instead of zram

03.12.2013:
    + gpu control: voltages are applied as deltas internally (no noticable change for users, this just was needed for the second change below)
    + gpu control: if gpu freq. gets changed by user, only reset its matching voltage, all other voltages stay untouched.

29.11.2013 part 2:
    + fixed apllying of custom gpu voltage
    + removed intellyplug driver (wasn't working properly, consumed much battery, made boot up take longer and it was unstable)

29.11.2013:
    + fixed: secondary rom no longer stuck at max freq.
    + gpu control: automatically set voltages according to changend freq (ported from yank555-lu), you can apply your own voltages after you have changed all freq (changing a freq, causes the voltages to be reset again)

26.11.2013:
    + added sepreate initramfs for cm11 and omni
    + recovery: fixed wiping of secondary filesystem

25.11.2013:
    + added support for omnirom, including dualboot

24.11.2013:
    + partial updated mali driver from SEA update 1 (this also fixes a typo in original implementation)
    + properly applied dualsound engine support, boeffla and scoobidoo (unlike other devs, this implementation only allows one sound mod to be active at a time. if you switch on boeffla (in boeffla app for example), scoobidoo gets disabled automatically. if you turn on scoobydoo in deviltools (new option), boeffla gets disabled automatically)

22.11.2013:
    + fixed hardware keys backlight settings and added more options to Deviltools
    + small fixes to gpu interface, compatible to new Deviltools
    + switched to latest boeffla sound engine
    + small mdnie related corrections

22.11.2013:
    + added gpu control, needs to be set manually for now.
    - set frequencies (5 steps) :
    echo "step0 step1 step2 step3 step4" > /sys/class/misc/gpu_control/gpu_clock_control
    - set frequency-step thresholds (up & down)
    echo "step0_up% step1_down% step1_up% step2_down% step2_up% step3_down% step3_up% step4_down%" > /sys/class/misc/gpu_control/gpu_clock_control
    - set frequency-step voltage (5 steps) :
    echo "step0 step1 step2 step3 step4" > /sys/class/misc/gpu_control/gpu_voltage_control
    available voltages :
    600000 - 1400000
    + ARM: SMP: use a timing out completion for cpu hotplug
    + init.d support for sammy 4.3
    + dualboot support for all supported roms (i couldnt try this. be careful!)

20.11.2013:
    + fixed loosing baseband on aosp roms
    + added support for cm11
    + some code cleanup
    + reverted SEA update 1 (seems to be faster without...)

19.11.2013:
    + merged SEA update 1
    + some small code fixes and cleanups
    + updated wifi driver from note3
    + sammy4.3 initramfs: disabled creation of 300mb zram (yank555-lu)
    + aosp 4.3 initramfs: reverted back to previous ones

16.11.2013:
    + fixed and readded mdnie control
    + fixed kernel version been displayed under "about phone"

...more to come
    I am in hospital currently and before I moved to a new home. But I didn't sell my Note and I'll start development again as soon as possible

Gesendet von meinem JY-G4 mit Tapatalk