Kernel Devs.......

Search This thread

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
Can any of the great Devs here help us out ....
There is a small group of users ,myself included , that prefer stereo bluetooth headphones over wired headphones ...
Now to get this out of the way , Voodoo does wonders for wired headphones , but , nothing for bluetooth streaming.
The issue is, it seems that the bluetooth bitpool value can only be adjusted by editing the kernel.. The only dev that fixed this to date is Cyanogen ,changing the bitpool from default 32 to 53 ,resutling in great BT streaming quality...... Also it has been reported that Google has also addressed this issue ,but , Samsung and other manufacturers have chosen to overwrite the google bt stack with their own , which is set to the default 32... What I am asking of any Dev that is willing , is for them to locate and change this value from its default to a higher value in the kernel.. I am willing to test and give feedback
Here is where it is currently being discussed
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=708685
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=866393#9727530
Right now am using project V with the bali kernel ... but willing to test any 2.2 or 2.2.1 kernals with this edit .....

Reactions: Mattymat

Mattymat

Nov 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've been asking about this for quite some time. Never realized that it was a kernel issue....this something that maybe Ecotox might tackle. He's generally pretty quick about implementing newer technologies into his kernels. I would ask in his dragonmodz thread (I already have) and see what he says.

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
Great .....
Yea the second link I provided points to the kernel .I have tried to edit some .lib files to no avail,no matter what i did, logcat would show that dreaded 32, but I remember reading that it was compiled into the kernel , so this is a push to get this issue resolved ... well for the vibrant anyway.

Last edited:

drhonk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Singapore
From what I know, bitpool settings is set by the ROM not kernel. This is the setting use by Cyanogenmod

from external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/a2dp.h

Code:
#define MAX_BITPOOL 64
#define MIN_BITPOOL 2

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
From what I know, bitpool settings is set by the ROM not kernel. This is the setting use by Cyanogenmod

from external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/a2dp.h

Code:
#define MAX_BITPOOL 64
#define MIN_BITPOOL 2
Really ....
See i tried to edit the system/lib/liba2dp.so and system/lib/bluez-plugin/audio.so
I have been trying to find info like this for 11 months.... thanks will try...:)
****Can you direct me to ?/external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/a2dp.h on the samsung rom?.... They have their own stuff ...

Last edited:

drhonk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Singapore
Really ....
See i tried to edit the system/lib/liba2dp.so and system/lib/bluez-plugin/audio.so
I have been trying to find info like this for 11 months.... thanks will try...:)
****Can you direct me to ?/external/bluetooth/bluez/audio/a2dp.h on the samsung rom?.... They have their own stuff ...

You can download their source code from opensource.samsung.com :)

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
You can download their source code from opensource.samsung.com :)

Okay ... done that found the code ,its the exact value you posted >
#define MAX_BITPOOL 64
#define MIN_BITPOOL 2
I don't know what to do from here ... I am willing to learn ,but don't have the time ( I work 16h days) so please be patient ...

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
Okay ...
Looked through the external/bluetooth /bluez/audio/ a2dp .h and didn't find anything referencing bitpool 32. Any reference to bitpool in there just pointed to sbc.c, so I looked at external/bluetooth /bluez/audio/ sbc.c.... and and found the code MAX_BITPOOL > 32.... now where to go from here , when I change this value how do I get this into the Rom?

Last edited:

BWA80

Nov 9, 2009
Okay ...
Looked through the external/bluetooth /bluez/audio/ a2dp .h and didn't find anything referencing bitpool 32. Any reference to bitpool in there just pointed to sbc.c, so I looked at external/bluetooth /bluez/audio/ sbc.c.... and and found the code MAX_BITPOOL > 32.... now where to go from here , when I change this value how do I get this into the Rom?

Dude!

I am keeping all my fingers crossed for you! This one of the biggest issues for me too. I am sorry I cannot help you, because I do not know anything about this stuff, but klquicksall who develops kernels (now for the htc incredible S) said he will look into this issue too..

Thanks alot for you! and good luck!

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
Dude!

I am keeping all my fingers crossed for you! This one of the biggest issues for me too. I am sorry I cannot help you, because I do not know anything about this stuff, but klquicksall who develops kernels (now for the htc incredible S) said he will look into this issue too..

Thanks alot for you! and good luck!
Thanks ....
So far I've got the MIN bitpool to change from 2 to 12 ....So now logcat shows 32:12 (32:2 was the default )
I found the file on another forum ... Going to ask that dev to help me out on this one ...

Mattymat

Nov 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks ....
So far I've got the MIN bitpool to change from 2 to 12 ....So now logcat shows 32:12 (32:2 was the default )
I found the file on another forum ... Going to ask that dev to help me out on this one ...

Dude, if this works your thank you's are going to be through the ROOF! Let me know if there's anything I can do/test for you.

BWA80

Nov 9, 2009
Hi!

Any progress on this issue? My fingers are getting tired being crossed all this time, but they will stay crossed.. :D

Thanks!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E
    ECOTOX
    Ill look into it guys =3
    Can any of the great Devs here help us out ....
    There is a small group of users ,myself included , that prefer stereo bluetooth headphones over wired headphones ...
    Now to get this out of the way , Voodoo does wonders for wired headphones , but , nothing for bluetooth streaming.
    The issue is, it seems that the bluetooth bitpool value can only be adjusted by editing the kernel.. The only dev that fixed this to date is Cyanogen ,changing the bitpool from default 32 to 53 ,resutling in great BT streaming quality...... Also it has been reported that Google has also addressed this issue ,but , Samsung and other manufacturers have chosen to overwrite the google bt stack with their own , which is set to the default 32... What I am asking of any Dev that is willing , is for them to locate and change this value from its default to a higher value in the kernel.. I am willing to test and give feedback
    Here is where it is currently being discussed
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=708685
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=866393#9727530
    Right now am using project V with the bali kernel ... but willing to test any 2.2 or 2.2.1 kernals with this edit .....
    Yeah... I'd just send a PM to ECOTOX.

Hes usually very willing to help, or at least try...

And if he fixes it, throw him a few bones. :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone