[KERNEL][E6653/E6633/E6683] Zach's Kernel Playground for Z5, WIP (work in progress)

Search This thread

Mason76

Oct 5, 2016
One guy wants full 8 cores used,

another one wants 6 cores used

in any case:

use EX Kernel Manager to control it

or do it manually via init.qcom.post_boot.sh , look for msm8994 section

there also might be things to change in init.sony.cpu_parameter.sh

in ex there is no possibility to disable the kernel, this option is gone ... why it should be deleted, gradually and. What is the meaning in 4x large kernels, if they work at 800MHz

colorado48

Aug 6, 2015
Ho Chi Minh City
in ex there is no possibility to disable the kernel, this option is gone ... why it should be deleted, gradually and. What is the meaning in 4x large kernels, if they work at 800MHz

Dude just stop. Zach gave you a few more methods to activate the disabled cores in his reply. At least have the decency to actually do some reading and research before making whiny comments about how something someone else created is not up to your taste.
Perhaps if Zach made 8 cores enabled you probly would complain that ur Z5 is too hot anyway.
XDA is free, constructive feedback is good but please dont whine about the things that you are taking for granted.
Just. Stop.

Mason76

Oct 5, 2016
Dude just stop. Zach gave you a few more methods to activate the disabled cores in his reply. At least have the decency to actually do some reading and research before making whiny comments about how something someone else created is not up to your taste.
Perhaps if Zach made 8 cores enabled you probly would complain that ur Z5 is too hot anyway.
XDA is free, constructive feedback is good but please dont whine about the things that you are taking for granted.
Just. Stop.
dude you understand that on the early kernels up to 1.5.4 in ex manager was able to disable and enable all 4 large cores or 2 cores. that possibility disappeared with the release of new kernels. what for then add and fix bugs, but at the same time cut that then the phone is hot on 8 cores horror as it is a fact, on 6 cores even less can be used and the acb lives longer. dak what's the point if all the a57 ​​kernels are included, but from trotting they work at 800mhz under load and they warm the phone and eat the acb, when you can leave 2 cores a57, the performance does not change, but the acb and temperature of the device are yes and the ability to turn on \ disable the kernel was lost in the new kernels. we are all sitting in the testers stage, so here I am and say my observations on the use of kernels and telleyoga in general. if you like using a stove, please

Reactions: zacharias.maladroit

zacharias.maladroit

Recognized Developer
dude you understand that on the early kernels up to 1.5.4 in ex manager was able to disable and enable all 4 large cores or 2 cores. that possibility disappeared with the release of new kernels. what for then add and fix bugs, but at the same time cut that then the phone is hot on 8 cores horror as it is a fact, on 6 cores even less can be used and the acb lives longer. dak what's the point if all the a57 ​​kernels are included, but from trotting they work at 800mhz under load and they warm the phone and eat the acb, when you can leave 2 cores a57, the performance does not change, but the acb and temperature of the device are yes and the ability to turn on \ disable the kernel was lost in the new kernels. we are all sitting in the testers stage, so here I am and say my observations on the use of kernels and telleyoga in general. if you like using a stove, please

haha - you got a point there :)

it must be clear by now: the cores are consuming NO energy if they are idle - so it doesn't matter if they are plugged in or not, in fact hotplugging generally is disadvised since it causes issue, has inherent issue,
causes delays and doesn't work reliably any (like I wrote countless times in the past)

there are following (possible) hotplug [or cpu control] mechanisms interfering with each other
  • - perfd (via msm_performance or other entity)
  • - msm_performance
  • - BCL (in case of heat build-up, so there's usually no need for worry)
  • - core_ctl
  • - core_ctl + core_ctl_helper
  • - some others (?)
  • - kernel/cpu.c , threads

in the recent test builds - the following was enabled:
  • - msm_performance (without hotpluggin functionality)
  • - CPUIDLE
  • - kernel/cpu.c , threads -> cpu 0 (little cluster), 4 (big cluster), 0-3, 4 are constantly plugged in [otherwise it causes instabilities and this ensures lowest power consumption - this has been for a long time this way, except cores 1-3]

now if you guys are crying about keeping 4 on - it has been that way with AndroPlus and other custom kernels the same, first forcing most threads to the little cluster (0-3 cores) has allowed sigificant power savings (10-33% compared to stock)

@Mason76

what language are you coming from (native language) and how do you post ?

are you using a translation service ?

no offense - sometimes it's a bit hard to decipher what you actually mean

I most of the times get the gist but sometimes not

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: irsgh

Mason76

Oct 5, 2016
haha - you got a point there :)

it must be clear by now: the cores are consuming NO energy if they are idle - so it doesn't matter if they are plugged in or not, in fact hotplugging generally is disadvised since it causes issue, has inherent issue,
causes delays and doesn't work reliably any (like I wrote countless times in the past)

there are following (possible) hotplug [or cpu control] mechanisms interfering with each other
  • - perfd (via msm_performance or other entity)
  • - msm_performance
  • - BCL (in case of heat build-up, so there's usually no need for worry)
  • - core_ctl
  • - core_ctl + core_ctl_helper
  • - some others (?)
  • - kernel/cpu.c , threads

in the recent test builds - the following was enabled:
  • - msm_performance (without hotpluggin functionality)
  • - CPUIDLE
  • - kernel/cpu.c , threads -> cpu 0 (little cluster), 4 (big cluster), 0-3, 4 are constantly plugged in [otherwise it causes instabilities and this ensures lowest power consumption - this has been for a long time this way, except cores 1-3]

now if you guys are crying about keeping 4 on - it has been that way with AndroPlus and other custom kernels the same, first forcing most threads to the little cluster (0-3 cores) has allowed sigificant power savings (10-33% compared to stock)

@Mason76

what language are you coming from (native language) and how do you post ?

are you using a translation service ?

no offense - sometimes it's a bit hard to decipher what you actually mean

I most of the times get the gist but sometimes not

Thanks

I'm Russian. And I'm using Google translator, it's just as hard for me to communicate thoughts to you because the translator is not correct. I rolled back on the kernel greylechy
I am using stock 54 7.1.1 rom

Last edited:

chitose_ndy

Jan 30, 2011
Jakarta
Hello,

I installed the latest version on my 54 fw stock..
somehow, few hours ago, my sdcard is not detected by the system anymore :eek:
But if i boot to recovery, the sdcard is actually there and detected,
does anyone have an idea why it happened?
Im trying to troubleshoot also by myself..
But would be nice if someone had this problem before and willingly to share the solution..

Thanks!

Ara Seferian

Dec 28, 2012
Faux sound Working?

Edit: headphone sound is boosted pretty well but from what i red that the faux app has some interface that is pretty useful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180505-010938.png
    Screenshot_20180505-010938.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Ara Seferian

Dec 28, 2012
Anyone tried playing music on an AUX adapter?
Music pauses after few seconds.. I'm suspecting the new sound mod installed in the latest kernel since i had a similar problem when i tried messing with mixer-path file long time ago (fixed by returning stock values).
But problem solved when rolling back to old kernel.
Probably hardware limitation???

zacharias.maladroit

Recognized Developer
Anyone tried playing music on an AUX adapter?
Music pauses after few seconds.. I'm suspecting the new sound mod installed in the latest kernel since i had a similar problem when i tried messing with mixer-path file long time ago (fixed by returning stock values).
But problem solved when rolling back to old kernel.
Probably hardware limitation???

No, there's actually a change that is supposed to "fix" issues with AUX - that might be the cause for this "behavior"

thanks for testing & posting feedback

Reactions: Ara Seferian

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2021 September update:

Since I've been getting requests lately due to Google's updated Google Drive policy - here's the updated share link for the Z5 kernels

Final notice: Since my Z5 died (it's broken into pieces, glass shattered) - development is effectively halted - NO more updates - sorry

This is a Stock (Sony) ROM Kernel and WILL NOT work on AOSP, CM, etc.

aka SunKernel for Z5 + Z5 Dual - Stock ROM (for now only stock)

Alright guys,

this is my intermediate result on working on the Kernel for the Z5 (e6653, sumire), which I'm currently using

There's now also a Kernel for the dsds (Dual Slot/Sim) Version (E6633/E6683), but I can't test if it works due to lack of that very device - Enjoy !

Keep in mind that building for the Z5 "Stock" ROMs and "Stock" Kernels, you're constantly facing the following tradeoff:

• compatibility with pre-built "core" kernel modules (e.g. texfat [proprietary exfat microSD fs driver])
    • compatibility with pre-built "goodies" kernel modules (e.g. video and other acceleration, hwcodecs, ...)
    • losing features that can NOT be replaced by similar ones (e.g. ecryptfs, wlan, exfat, etc.)
    • when going too far the device doesn't boot or simply hangs on bootanimation

this resulted in a couple branches (at least several dozen) that are partially or totally broken :silly:

[snip]
    [snip]

More info on the Latest Kernel can be usually found at:

AT the end of the thread

( I KNOW - I should have reserved a few posts for better overview :( )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Download] How to get the current ("corona", 5.11) Kernel(s) - Step by Step:

1)
    Choose your device from one of the 4 folders

Z5 + Z5 Dual:

Z5 Compact: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQVE0tb2dieTZMXzg
    Z5 Prem + Z5 Prem Dual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQaVZTdnF5QnVTMU0
    Z4/Z3+ + Z4/Z3+ Dual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQa2xBdHR5TzlrNUE

2)
    At the upper right, click on "List View"

3)
    At the top of the table, there are 3 labels (name, owner, [last] modified, File size)

click on "Last modified", the newest Kernels should be shown either at the top, or at the bottom

4)
    Download the latest Kernel

5)
    ???

6)
    Profit !

All other features, things should work - no guarantees

Before starting to test/use keep in mind that this is WIP (work in progress),

that means - NO guarantees,

backups before flashing are a MUST (especially your microSD card content !)

stability, speed, improved battery and satisfaction are a great side-effect to have.

You have been WARNED !

Enjoy ! :)

Obligatory Source:
    (according to the rules in single commits no giant blobs, authorship kept)

https://github.com/zachariasmaladroit/android_kernel_sony_msm8994_kitakami_r2/branches

Mentions/Kudos:

@AndroPlus thanks for your great kernel base and support for all of the Sony Xperia devices - you definitely are a Sensei in that area ! :cool:
    @Tommy-Geenexus another Sensei on the Xperia devices :)
    @auras76 Thanks for your great ROM + Kernel !
    @Adi Shakthi You are da man ! God's Kernel - there's truly no kernel like it ! @faux123 thanks for intelli_plug and Dynamic Fsync and all the other goodies - they are awesome ! :victory: @neobuddy89 Your kernels really inspire that there is more to be achieved :cowboy: @Cl3Kener @flar2 @DespairFactor @Imoseyon @showp1984 @myfluxi @savoca @franciscofranco @dorimanx @arter97 @ak @eng.stk You (and all other devs I might have forgotten) truly push progress forward ! :)
    Linus Torvalds - you started it all !
    Richard Stallman - thanks for your "viral" license and GNU :D
    Linux Kernel Devs , Linux Foundation
    Google , Android @jerpelea @kholk The masters of the Sony Sauce :D @Grarak for Kernel Adiutor - for such a fine Kernel Command Center :D
    @caspase for AppOpsXposed
    @rovo89 for XPosed
    @oasisfeng for Greenify
    Download

Z5 (sumire): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQQy05VURLbzJTZlU

305_corona_III.1_9_12_5_2_ctl_X
    253_corona_III.1_9_4_2 ["stable" branch]

This is an interim build which could/should solve several problems

Changes:
    305_corona_III.1_9_12_5_2_ctl_X
    - msm: thermal: load scaling was reverted (this should make thermal behavior less erratic and more predictable)
    - much faster /proc/vmstat (mostly used in Kernel Adiutor first tab & others)
    - random: 64 & 128 default values restored
    - CVE-2016-5696 fix re-added since random depletion now seems to be avoided, no slower down anymore during longer usage (?)
    - slim-msm: sleep while device-timeout (better battery savings, more reliable operation)
    - GPU: disable POPP [Power Optimizer Push-Pop] - unfortunately too laggy
    - GPU: re-add conversion of some workqueues to kthreads, now it doesn't cause micro-lags anymore
    - revert: asynchronous resume threads (potentially unstable)
    - TONs of fixes (i2c, ion, crypto, camera, sound processing, bluetooth [?], tcp, block, hid, ipa, mdss, evdev, memcg, memory-hotplug, ipv6, spmi, smd, cpuidle, usb)
    - sps: fix kernel panic (fix hang/reboot/not waking up from sleep)
    - block: make it possible to delete files again that previously were impossible to be deleted
    - sched: fix task-priority when using SCHED_RESET_ON_FORK
    - add branch instruction count (potentially significantly better performance)
    - power: qpnp-fg: use powerefficient workqueues (potentially MUCH LESS battery consumption)
    - soc: qcom: bam_dmux: fast-shutdown flag [supported ?], (potentially much faster shutdown of modem and MUCH more energy savings)
    - arm64 optimized variant of crc32: 30-450% speed improvement [EXPERIMENTAL, might break encrypted phone function], could speed up the phone in certain areas A LOT
    - input: make volume keys work while device is in sleep-mode since starting with MM that might not work anymore

253_corona_III.1_9_4_2
    - 253_corona_III.1_9_4 based (supposedly more stable kernel)
    - make Safetynet work
    - fix DirtyCOW: preventing others (non-authorized users/apps) from obtaining root privileges
    - fuse: fix infinite loop (mostly for (t)exfat microSD exfat driver and all others being bound/mounted via fuse)
    - workqueue: allow rescuer thread to do more work

Notice

Android dev is happening as time/resources permit

Notes

battery life said:
    This kernel is giving me horizontal standby lines after usage & while in Airplane mode,

this means: most of the kernel-side issues relating to battery efficiency and wakelocks should be fixed. (why wasn't it like that out of the box ? :confused: )

If your device doesn't go to sleep it's due to wakelocks, alarms and services keep it awake

If you cannot find the latest kernels change to List View and Sort by Date/Recently Changed

Kudos

to @androidexpert35 for the heavy testing :)
    New Kernels are UP ! (5.11_corona_III.1_9_12_8_2_ctl_X)

Stability Hotfix (thermal-engine, cpuidle crash) [TESTING] )

Commit-based form of changelog:

Code:
    git log --pretty=oneline a1a44f5809da69a742f11d734b506d5928fddbad..HEAD

9ddbefd9f3deacf57fa18e7459a1106aafddb6a7 localversion
    7eb6328eced607ea21d7c584120a7666fe3a4fbf Revert "cpuidle: don't disable cpuidle when entering suspend"
    612e33421681b586be3ce1db9b2b4dc5eec474f6 Revert "msm: thermal: Use phandle to input the cluster cpu map"
    5b37bef7b713ab0743a30546799b49b1d8a01624 Revert "msm: thermal: Use CPU phandles instead of cpu mask in KTM"
    e9d3ef69478e5bc7b8c74d7572358fbd4f16f75f Revert "msm: thermal: Fix KTM code to check psm is enabled before handling it"
    67142189e4a6c74f0caa5a402326d6a72dbdda46 Revert "msm: thermal: Update scm calls in KTM with non-atomic calls"
    7d38d566cc6e150f79531b82d4aafafcfbe9501a Revert "msm: thermal: Retry on failure to hotplug"
    35096150dc7152a172f15d458d7521c103c0069d Revert "msm: thermal: Fix sensor number printed during thermal WD bite"
    5b2b2431b5b6678058d88decd207589d099406f0 Revert "msm: thermal: Add support to read KTM thermal configuration"
    3fb901ba3ca1eb3448393b4d8fce77175b997a31 Revert "msm: thermal: Add support to disable KTM mitigation via debugfs"
    57fdf696e27ccc661d656b7393cec4befdd4586b Revert "msm: thermal: Add kernel boot command to disable KTM"
    d6bcad0c60eca12573623b1c41c24de159892b6a Revert "msm: thermal: Support new DT properties to disable KTM feature"
    db05b93b8d99151942e93c8103b42ebba539243a Revert "msm: thermal: Fix zone id to tsens map lookup"
    cba81424857e4e23af319b8fa17e482733be6e5b Revert "msm: thermal: Register for panic notifier on successful probe"
    3a75678e662179d731a4120b247365c9be0febd0 Revert "msm: thermal: Add support for sending CPR temperature band"
    d70e6d54846095dc2ce761d3d2ddf7598b573551 Revert "msm: thermal: Add support for Cx restriction at low temperature"
    e86b2def1655028adcd89c77610ae3a0b179366e Revert "msm: thermal: Add support for bandwidth limit(BWLM) feature"
    5aac40ff08fe27b64ed4d219a1166a2f8d3a2921 Revert "msm: thermal: Configure core sensor id on emergency frequency init"

Human readable form of changelog:

Changes since 5.11_corona_III.1_9_12_8_ctl_X
    update to 5.11_corona_III.1_9_12_8_2_ctl_X

Reverting "msm: thermal" ("thermal engine") changes that allowed userspace access to thermal engine behavior [might have caused instabilities]
    Reverting "cpuidle: don't disable cpuidle when entering suspend"

[Download] How to get the Kernel(s) - Step by Step:

1)
    Choose your device from one of the 4 folders

Z5 + Z5 Dual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQQy05VURLbzJTZlU
    Z5 Compact: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQVE0tb2dieTZMXzg
    Z5 Prem + Z5 Prem Dual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQaVZTdnF5QnVTMU0
    Z4/Z3+ + Z4/Z3+ Dual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BykGGWB96CBQa2xBdHR5TzlrNUE

2)
    At the upper right, click on "List View"

3)
    At the top of the table, there are 3 labels (name, owner, [last] modified, File size)

click on "Last modified", the newest Kernels should be shown either at the top, or at the bottom

4)
    Download the latest Kernel

5)
    ???

6)
    Profit !

Important Notes:

Do NOT restore previous settings of Kernel Adiutor, Kernel Adiutor Mod, EX Kernel Manager, etc.

since that might lead to crash of thermal engine !

Also do NOT use BOTH core control + temperature throttle for "Thermal / Thermal Engine"

Enjoy ! :)
    Download, AndroidFileHost :

224 Kernel

SunKernel_for_Z5 224_I.1_2_12

253 Kernel

SunKernel_for_Z5 253_I.1_2_12

224_I.1_2_12 Changelog said:
    Changelog:

• ramdisk change/bump to AndroPlus v33 (224 kernel)
    • ramdisk change/bump to AndroPlus v33 (253 kernel)
    • (due to unknown errors/reasons the process AndroPlus uses to create and modify his ramdisk appears to work better, thus using that)
    • (thanks to @AndroPlus)
    • significant battery runtime improvements are to be expected
    • during bootup ony the small core cluster is active == cooler bootup, but potentially also slower (it should however be fast enough)
    • Overclocking: active after Boot for BIG core 2.0 GHz, little core 1.63 GHz , adjust with Kernel Adiutor, etc.
    • <-- experimental, if it locks up during setup/bootup (e.g. wiping dalvik cache and re-creating cache), please let me know
    • "HOTFIX": reverted experimental bluedroid wakelock control - this should prevent lockup during bluetooth usage and accidental activation
    • filesystem buffer increased LRU size
    • task's adj rbtree for LMK (low memory killer - much more efficient during high memory load)
    • usb-gadget functionality
    • android keyboard support
    • some smoothness tweaks for interactive governor/in general; kudos to @auras76
    • fastcharge support (not sure if this has an actual effect, it seemed to have charged my phone faster ?, dunno)
    • dynamic fsync
    • optional input boost (input boost control), optimized input boost for little cores only (do not boost for big cores)
    • setting to tweak throttling temperature

Notes:

If you have systemless root and systemless xposed on your system, you have to flash latest betaSU and latest systemless xposed framework immediatly after flashing a new Kernel. If you dont do this you will get a bootloop.

Sauce:

https://github.com/zachariasmaladro..._r2/commits/Sun-Kernel_32.2.A.0.224_vI.1_2_12

https://github.com/zachariasmaladro..._r2/commits/Sun-Kernel_32.2.A.0.253_vI.1_2_12

Thanks
    Download, AndroidFileHost :

224 Kernel

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=86341 SunKernel_for_Z5 224_I.1_2_17

253 Kernel

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=86349 SunKernel_for_Z5 253_I.1_2_17

Changes: said:
    • I.1_2_13
    • enabled dynamic_fsync
    • added SIO + FIOPS i/o scheduler (give it a testing and let me know how it works)
    • interactive cpufreq governor: some tweaks
    • leaving disabled LMK adj rbtree improvement (didn't work in the past and also failed compilation this time)
    • Overclock BIG core 2.2 GHz, little core 1.63 GHz (down from 1.7 GHz)
    • arm64 optimizations
    • cpufreq handling fix for cpuboost
    • I.1_2_14 (14 + .15 were a combined test-kernel with CPUQUIET)
    • I.1_2_15 (14 + .15 were a combined test-kernel with CPUQUIET)
    • I.1_2_16 (skipping this kernel release)
    • new SUNRISE3 optimization flags (should squeesh out some more performance and stability)
    • charging LED cyan stuck fixed (thanks to @oshmoun )
    • SLIMBUS improvements (natural sound amplitude),
    • NVIDIA powerefficiency improvements rework ( thanks to @RyTekk )
    • some (general) sound improvements
    • I.1_2_17
    • frandom (increase security with encryption/security in Android in general, better overall smoothness of UI)
    • more (specific) sound improvements (these should be really noticable),
    • scheduler efficiency improvements (might be better / might not; peak performance is somewhat lower, since it doesn't clock up that quick, faster in idle)
    • writeback optimizations (less stalls and latency spikes during heavy writes)
    • a bunch of ext4 + kthread stability and reliability improvements

TODO:
    (Notes for myself)

[FIXME: need 1-2 more additional, specific commits for writeback]
    [FIXME: add additional interactive governor, etc. related commits]
    [FIXME: add ZEN i/o scheduler, update simple i/o]

Notes:

If you have systemless root and systemless xposed on your system, you have to flash latest betaSU and latest systemless xposed framework immediatly after flashing a new Kernel. If you dont do this you will get a bootloop.

Mentions:
    (additional ones)

- thanks to @androidexpert35 for testing I.1_2_17 kernel
    - thanks to @_LLJY and the beta tester crew for testing I.1_2_16 kernel

Sauce:

https://github.com/zachariasmaladro..._r2/commits/Sun-Kernel_32.2.A.0.224_vI.1_2_17

https://github.com/zachariasmaladro..._r2/commits/Sun-Kernel_32.2.A.0.253_vI.1_2_17

Thanks