[Kernel-EAS][Custom|OOS]mcd-kernel[r12, r29]

Search This thread

TookeX

Apr 23, 2012
update time!

This update comes with some changes which might be useful/interesting to the kali.nethunter users among us. People who don't use any of the kali.nethunter features won't notice anything.

Special thanks to @metaspook for testing and his feedback!

Changelog:
Merge latest stable-linux v3.18.132
anykernel2: merge upstream changes
mac80211: packet injection patch [kali.nethunter]
OTG External WiFi adapter support ("monitor mode") [kali.nethunter]

Download:
mcd-kernel-r15.zip
changelog-r15.txt

Notes:
Feedback is highly appreciated
Dirty flashing is fine
You may delete the data of your kernel-tweak app to see/apply the new default values

it seems r15 break hotspot function...
I came from original rz 1.3.0 after dirty flash oos 5.0.8 with magisk for root on my OP3.
but when I tried to enable hotspot today. there is a message prompt that please insert your sim card.
hotspot can be seen my others device but no internet access there when connect to this ssid.
btw bluetooth tethering is also failure I guess due to same reason.
revert to r14 dirty flash. now hotspot are working with this version.

mcdachpappe

Recognized Developer
Oct 25, 2015
NRW
it seems r15 break hotspot function...
I came from original rz 1.3.0 after dirty flash oos 5.0.8 with magisk for root on my OP3.
but when I tried to enable hotspot today. there is a message prompt that please insert your sim card.
hotspot can be seen my others device but no internet access there when connect to this ssid.
btw bluetooth tethering is also failure I guess due to same reason.
revert to r14 dirty flash. now hotspot are working with this version.

confirmed.. will have a look at it

thanks for reporting.

Bintang Krisna

Dec 23, 2016
Yeap,latest version broke "Tethering" thingy.
Just look at the positive side,you will no longer had to share your precious mobile data with your friends mu ahahahaha

Sent from my OnePlus 3 using XDA Labs

Reactions: mcdachpappe

AL2000EX

Aug 17, 2013
It would be great if you could poll other more sensitive thermal sensors to have it thorottling more agressively.
Can anyone elaborate on what pa_therm sensor is even measuring (it's the one currently being polled by the kernel btw)? It's definitely not the actual CPU temperature, and seems to be extremely unresponsive to temp spikes. Would be surprised if that's what sultan did for his kernel, I can't read sauce well tho so idk.

Edit: after some digging, the qualcomm thermal debugging guide says the PA sensor is actually the modem's thermistor. Don't think we want to throttle based on that

Last edited:

mcdachpappe

Recognized Developer
Oct 25, 2015
NRW
mcd-kernel-r15-f [hotfix]

Hotfix!

Sorry for the trouble with the latest r15 update. Thanks to @TookeX for reporting this tethering issue. I was able to fix this problem - so here is your fixed version :)
@metaspook it would be great if you could confirm that your external wifi cards are still functional because i can't test this by myself.

Changelog:
  • fixed broken wifi and bt-tethering

Download:

Notes:
  1. Feedback is highly appreciated
  2. Dirty flashing is fine
  3. You may delete the data of your kernel-tweak app to see/apply the new default values

mcdachpappe

Recognized Developer
Oct 25, 2015
NRW
Can anyone elaborate on what pa_therm sensor is even measuring (it's the one currently being polled by the kernel btw)? It's definitely not the actual CPU temperature, and seems to be extremely unresponsive to temp spikes. Would be surprised if that's what sultan did for his kernel, I can't read sauce well tho so idk.

Edit: after some digging, the qualcomm thermal debugging guide says the PA sensor is actually the modem's thermistor. Don't think we want to throttle based on that

and at @rdNNNN :

here are the commits from sultan regarding this thermal solution and it's thermal-sensor:
  1. msm: thermal: simple: Use VADC device for temperature polling
  2. msm: thermal: simple: Remove TSENS dependency

I think he has exchanged the sensors with intention - see the notes in his commits. I don't know what i can do about your heating problems. I don't even know which sensor i should pick so i leave it as it is right now.

Reactions: AL2000EX

TookeX

Apr 23, 2012
Hotfix!

Sorry for the trouble with the latest r15 update. Thanks to @TookeX for reporting this tethering issue. I was able to fix this problem - so here is your fixed version :)

@metaspook it would be great if you could confirm that your external wifi cards are still functional because i can't test this by myself.

Changelog:
fixed broken wifi and bt-tethering

Download:
mcd-kernel-r15-f.zip
changelog-r15.txt

Notes:
Dirty flashing is fine
You may delete the data of your kernel-tweak app to see/apply the new default values

Thank you for your effort.
how a quick response and appreciate it.
dirty flash r15f over previous r14.
confirmed wifi and bt tethering are both functional now. :good: :good:

metaspook

Recognized Developer
Sep 12, 2014
Dhaka
Hotfix!

Changelog:
fixed broken wifi and bt-tethering

Download:
mcd-kernel-r15-f.zip
changelog-r15.txt

Notes:
Dirty flashing is fine

Wow! You already fixed the issue.. thanks :cowboy:
In the meantime I was about to let you know that from your 3 builds u gave me to test "mcd-kernel-15-wifi" had no broken wifi and bt-tethering issue but other 2 had. But u already fixed great.

My OTG cable is broken :( tomorrow I'll buy a new one and test and give u feedback. ;)

metaspook

Recognized Developer
Sep 12, 2014
Dhaka
Guys .. in the meantime I could test, if you guys have ?OTG cable and a USB wifi dongle plug n test if it working or not ... Give feedback here.

metaspook

Recognized Developer
Sep 12, 2014
Dhaka
? How to Dirty and Clean flash a Kernel --
I saw many of you have misconception on dirty/clean flashing a kernel.. Read the instructions below..⤵️

** Pre-Task (One time)
| 1. Go to TWRP
| 2. Keep a backup of fresh unmodified (NO custom kernel, NO magisk installed) stock boot img/partition. If already modified than flash the stock rom/ota zip than keep backup, here you can keep whole stock rom boot, system etc. for future use. But we just need the boot img/partition in this case.

** Task (Clean Flash) | Useful in flashing hotfix version of same Kernel and if any issue occurs.
| 1. Go to TWRP
| 2. Restore backup of boot img/partition.
| 3. Flash the Kernel zip.
| 4. [Recommend to keep root] Now flash the root handler zip like Magisk.
| 5. [Optional] Wipe Cache/Dalvik.

** Task (Dirty Flash) | Useful in flashing update version of same Kernel.
| 1. Go to TWRP
| 2. Flash the Kernel zip.
| 3. [Optional] Wipe Cache/Dalvik.

AL2000EX

Aug 17, 2013
Ok, so how is increasing Adreno Idler's ramp down speed going to do anything if we're already using the lowest frequency at all times?

Talking about this commit in particular
https://github.com/mcdachpappe/andr...mmit/57716a3b007bc9df749c37dda4f79243996ead3b

I've tested GPU frequencies with Idler enabled and disabled and there isn't any difference whatsorever. I've tried finding scenarios where it was most likely to have any effect, positive or negative, and it just doesn't.

Arter97 himself didn't use it in his 3T kernel, because it does nothing. It's a waste of your time @mcdachpappe

mady51

Nov 12, 2015
Ok, so how is increasing Adreno Idler's ramp down speed going to do anything if we're already using the lowest frequency at all times?

Talking about this commit in particular
https://github.com/mcdachpappe/andr...mmit/57716a3b007bc9df749c37dda4f79243996ead3b

I've tested GPU frequencies with Idler enabled and disabled and there isn't any difference whatsorever. I've tried finding scenarios where it was most likely to have any effect, positive or negative, and it just doesn't.

Arter97 himself didn't use it in his 3T kernel, because it does nothing. It's a waste of your time @mcdachpappe
Adreno idler is useful along with adrenoboost. Gpu will be boosted to a bit higher when required with adrenoboost. So, to make less use of this during idle times idler will be used. Atleast this is what that implementation means, as i cant say it 100% but even with default adreno u wont see any much diff with idler or booster.

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

oh btw, disabling iostats in init after boot might give us some more i/o throughput. Pixels have it off by default.
Technically yes. But ideally from user perspective u dont see any difference in ur usage

AL2000EX

Aug 17, 2013
Adreno idler is useful along with adrenoboostGpu will be boosted to a bit higher when required with adrenoboost.
Adrenoboost was removed some versions back. This all gives me flashbacks to 2013 when the Adreno driver was a broken piece of crap on most devices and we needed mods to fix it. Not the case now.

metaspook

Recognized Developer
Sep 12, 2014
Dhaka
@mcdachpappe
WiFi Monitor mode isn't working.. :(

Checking:
I connected my WiFi dongle through OTG cable and check in OTG checker app it shows a device is attached.
But in Terminal emulator using "ifconfig" command it found no wifi device and specially in Kali Nethunter and ANDRAX using "airmon-ng" command which is 'Monitor mode' checking and launching tool it shows only internal wifi device, not OTG attached wifi dongle. It means there is a problem with supporting External WiFi adapter or driver/firmware of the kernel.

My Device: TP-Link TL WN727N Chipset (Ralink RT2870 / RT3070)
This device supported for monitor mode https://www.wifi-antennas.com/topic/43-list-of-usb-wireless-adapters-monitor-mode/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    caMCQkK.png

Code:
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, or you getting
    * fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any
    * concerns about features included in this KERNEL before flashing it. YOU are
    * choosing to make these modifications.

I have to thank all these really nice people around xda/github and software development for helping me out, giving me useful tipps/tricks/guides and their feedback!​

It is mandatory to select the correct kernel depending on your current ROM:

1. CUSTOM ROMs [OREO | PIE]

2. OxygenOS [OREO] - [EOL]
    • Based on RenderZenith Kernel [big thanks to joshuous and RenderBroken]
    • Upstreamed to stable linux branch v3.18.138

3. OxygenOS [PIE]

In addition to my used bases mentioned above I've added some features from different kernels out here to give the user more control about their device and to extend it's abilities. Feel free to ask for features that you would like to see in this kernel.

Features added:
    • Compiled with custom-built Linaro 6.4.1 toolchain targeting msm8996/SD820/SD821
    • anykernel3: adress more selinux denials
    • init: cpu-boost: Create separate tunable for Dynamic Schedtune Boost duration [1500ms by default]
    • init: enable wake_boost [set to 1000ms] - [thanks to kerneltoast] [custom variant only!]
    • init: set our custom thermal-values [10 zones] [performance-orientated profile]
    • ################################################
    • Upstreamed f2fs [custom variant only!]
    • f2fs rapid GC commits and fixes - [thanks to arter97] [custom variant only!]
    • Upstreamed RCU sub-system
    • Backlight dimmer
    • Boeffla Wakelock Blocker - [enabled by default]
    • CPU Governors: schedutil, helix_schedutil, blu_schedutil, pwrutilx, energy-dcfc, darknesssched, alucardsched
    • CRC toggle - [disabled by default]
    • Debugging and logging disabled/removed
    • Disable buttons on touch toggle - [enabled by default]
    • DriveDroid support
    • DTS: HeadphoneX - Official thread
    • Gestures: add sweep2sleep - [disabled by default]
    • Haptics: Haptic control and vibration strength control
    • HID keyboard/mouse gadget support - [thanks to jcadduono]
    • I/O Scheduler: BFQ, MAPLE and ZEN - [maple as default]
    • KCAL
    • K-Lapse - Offical thread - [thanks to @tanish2k09]
    • WLAN driver LA.UM.6.6.r1-10100-89xx.0 - [v 4.0.11.213X] [custom variant only!]
    • Sound Control - [thanks to Flar2]
    • Spectrum support - [4 pre-defined profiles]
    • TCP protocol tweaks - [westwood by default]
    • Thermal: thermal-simple - [thanks to kerneltoast]
    • USB fast charging toggle - [disabled by default]
    • Nethunter: Packet injection patch; monitor mode support [custom variant only!]
    • Nethunter: External USB WiFi adapter support; HID Emulation
    • Nethunter: CDC_ACM Proxmark/Chameleon detection (all versions); dynamic module loading [custom variant only!]
    • vDSO implementation for better performance of 32-bit binaries
    • Verity disabled
    • Wireguard support
    • zRAM - [enabled by default]
    • some misc changes to improve user experience

Downloads:

1. Custom ROMs
    Current: mcd-kernel-custom-r12.zip

2. Oxygen-OS [OREO]:
    [EOL]: mcd-kernel-r25-oreo.zip

3. Oxygen-OS [PIE]:
    Current: mcd-kernel-r29-pie.zip

Telegram:

Sources:

Credits:
    • Thanks to @RenderBroken and @joshuous for porting EAS features to our device.
    • Thanks to @HolyAngel for his kernel base!
    • Credits to the dev's who brought all this included features to our device - thank you very much.
    • Huge thanks to @rippledrums who is the best moderator [in our telegram groups] i've seen so far and for our designing logo!
    • Thanks to @vinoxflame, @nickpapeir,@theduke7 and @deepak jr for testing and their feedback.

Small note:
    Please leave a comment here if this kernel works or doesn't work for you. This thread stays alive with your contributions and your feedback. Additionally this will motivate me to continue working on this kernel. And if you like you can do a little donation to me: paypal.me/mcdachpappe - Thank you very much!

XDA:DevDB Information
    EAS-Kernel with extended features, Kernel for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
    mcdachpappe
    Kernel Special Features: Energy Aware Scheduling

Version Information

Created 2018-09-05
    Last Updated 2019-07-06
    I'm working on an eas-build with mcd-features based on the latest official pie sources provided by oneplus. Please be patient - OP3/T development isn't dead, yet :)
    mcd-kernel-custom-r1

Here is our first EAS-kernel release which supports custom roms [oreo / pie].

This release is based on Franco-kernel [pie-custom branch / Lineagetree] which should support almost every custom rom out there. It has been already successfully tested on Havoc-OS 2.3.

Nevertheless is this release in it's early stages - if you are facing any weird issues please take a log and report them here or in our telegram group. Thank you.

//EDIT:
    It seems that magisk is mandatory to apply our custom ramdisk changes on lineageos based rom's (e.g. lineage, havoc). If you are un-rooted you may face poor performance.

What do you get:
    • Based on Franco-Kernel with all his features
    • Enery-Aware-Scheduling 'ported' from RenderZenith-Kernel for OOS
    • Compiled with custom-built Linaro 6.4.1 toolchain targeting msm8996/SD820/SD821 [thanks to @HolyAngel]
    • Build with SDCLANG v6.0.4
    • Latest Stable-Linux / CAF-Branch merged
    • Almost all the features you know from our OxygenOS release

Changelog:
    • Initial Custom ROM support
    • Merged stable-linux v3.18.136
    • Added EAS-Backported features [dynamic-stune-boost v3]
    • Removed some HMP-Specific code [remove hmp governors - set schedutil as default]
    • Add almost all the features from our OOS-O release
    • DTS: Ultra support [Thread]
    • Introduce K-Lapse [by @tanish2k09 - Thread]

Download:

A huge thanks goes to @deepak jr for testing!

Notes:
    1. Feedback is highly appreciated
    2. You may delete the data of your kernel-tweak app to see/apply the new default values
    3. Telegram-Group: t.me/mcdkernel
    Useful information

'Clean flash' instructions:
    1. Delete your kernel-tweak-app data
    2. Boot into recovery (latest TWRP)
    3. Flash desired oos-stock boot.img / flash the full oos-rom.zip
    4. Optional: Flash magisk - if you want root
    5. Flash this kernel .zip
    6. Optional: Delete cache / dalvik cache

Explanation of the EAS boosting-values:

Adaptive Stune App:
    Adaptive Stune App [based on @azaidi's work and @crian's modification] which calculates the Dynamic stune boost on the EAS kernel for each activity you are running.

Thanks to @deepak kumar android and @theduke7 for testing.​

Resources:
    EAS - Custom Rom support

Some good news for everyone who is waiting for custom rom support:

We are nearly there to release an eas-kernel which supports custom roms [oreo & pie] on our device.

A huge thanks to @deepak jr for testing and his feedback!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone