• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][EMUI 9][P20 lite] Phenix kernel

Search This thread

lord_stoner

Dec 30, 2018
I think the kernel - Phenix , is a very good. I never thought this kernel had security problems. I am very grateful to the work of TureX.
My question was if there is any set of programs to test the security of kernels and GSI.img. - (this is purely for research and scientific purpose) .
I use the TureX kernel and I think it works very stable and well. I have looked at the code of this kernel many times and have not noticed any irregularities. (In my opinion, it is hard to find code that has a security hole unless you test the compiled kernel as it runs. Scripts cannot be included in the kernel because the kernel is compiled. Scripts can be included for example in GSI.img) .
Thanks again to TureX for the good work.

Reactions: TureX

KAngelo

Dec 20, 2016
Hello.

First of all I really enjoy your work. Only problem is that screen flashes randomly and this never happens on stock kernel. It's the only thing that keeps my from using this on a daily basis.
Any idea why this occurs and a possible solution would be great : D

I'm on crDRom android 10.

Thx again.

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Hello.

First of all I really enjoy your work. Only problem is that screen flashes randomly and this never happens on stock kernel. It's the only thing that keeps my from using this on a daily basis.
Any idea why this occurs and a possible solution would be great : D

I'm on crDRom android 10.

Thx again.
Hi!
Could you give me please a logcat? And a dmesg log?

Cheers

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020

Attachments

• bugreport-lineage_anne-PQ3A.190801.002-2021-09-30-08-48-04.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Hi, I got the problem on my phone too (randomly flashing, but stable to be use daily). I do not have a dmseg or a logcat now (I think I have to follow this guide https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/logcat to generate what you want), but I got a bugreport generate from LOS16 if you're interested
Hi!
Have you auto brightness? Did you notice is happening in specific situation (ex. low brightness) ? Is hard to find. Did also happen if you set kernel in permissive mode?

Edit: could you please give me : (you must be rooted)

1- Dmesg log
2- output of -> lshal -m

Edit2:

For isolate the problem, could you flash an older version like v4.9.178 and tell me when you encounter the problem?

Edit3:
could you please try attached kernel?

Cheers

Attachments

• test brightness.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: TristanL

Frax3r

May 18, 2016
Huawei P20 Lite
Hi!
Have you auto brightness? Did you notice is happening in specific situation (ex. low brightness) ? Is hard to find. Did also happen if you set kernel in permissive mode?

1- Dmesg log
2- output of -> lshal -m

Edit2:

For isolate the problem, could you flash an older version like v4.9.178 and tell me when you encounter the problem?

Edit3:

Cheers
I too had flickering screen problem on your unofficial los 16 build but it went away after first half an hour or so uptime. Weirdly enough restarting the phone didn't bring it back. It was only present in first minutes of first boot. As I don't see it anymore I can't provide logs. For the record adaptive brightness was off upon first boot and I kept it like that. I mostly used high brightness and never went below %30-40 range. Wish I could help more. Cheers.

Edit: I never had something like this happen on Los 16 (official signed), CAOS, CrDrom, LiR, phh's aosp. Only thing different for me was your kernel attached to your build of los 16.

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
I too had flickering screen problem on your unofficial los 16 build but it went away after first half an hour or so uptime. Weirdly enough restarting the phone didn't bring it back. It was only present in first minutes of first boot. As I don't see it anymore I can't provide logs. For the record adaptive brightness was off upon first boot and I kept it like that. I mostly used high brightness and never went below %30-40 range. Wish I could help more. Cheers.
HI!

Did you try the attached img in the previous post?

Cheers

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
I didn't. Since I don't have this problem anymore even if I did try it I wouldn't know the difference from the one you included in your los build. I could test if it boots or not if you want tho.
Another user tell me is random, so maybe can manifest again. Could you please test anyway? Or tell me If you get again the problem with "stock" kernel of my build?

Frax3r

May 18, 2016
Huawei P20 Lite
Another user tell me is random, so maybe can manifest again. Could you please test anyway? Or tell me If you get again the problem with "stock" kernel of my build?
I backed up kernel from your los build and switched to .284 kernel you provided in this thread. My first impression is that it is still not present. I even turned adaptive brightness on. I am gonna use it like this for a day or two and see if it shows up again. It might sound dumb but only thing that happens on first boot is encryption. I decrypted before installing los so if it is encryption related it is only logical that I would see flickering only in first boot. If anyone else see flickering can they verify that if they are encrypted or not?

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
I backed up kernel from your los build and switched to .284 kernel you provided in this thread. My first impression is that it is still not present. I even turned adaptive brightness on. I am gonna use it like this for a day or two and see if it shows up again. It might sound dumb but only thing that happens on first boot is encryption. I decrypted before installing los so if it is encryption related it is only logical that I would see flickering only in first boot. If anyone else see flickering can they verify that if they are encrypted or not?
I don't think is related to encryption because i remeber is present on emui too. I think is somehow related to vendor, because on gsi ,that i think is using some "android stock" or simply "patched" vendor, is not present. Anyway thank you for the time testing. Let me know!

Reactions: Frax3r

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Hi!

1- Dmesg log
2- output of -> lshal -m

Edit2:

Edit3:

Cheers
Hi, I'm actually on the latest Phenix kernel, and I notice it occurs often when using NewPipe application (a unofficial Youtube Client). I have the autobrightness enabled.
You'll find attached dmseg logs and the result of the wanted command (Blinks occurs 2-5 min before generating the dmesg logs).
Hopes it helps

Attachments

• lshal.log
    1.3 KB · Views: 3

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Hi!

1- Dmesg log
2- output of -> lshal -m

Edit2:

Edit3:

Cheers
Edit: I don't know why this website refuse to put the dmesg logs in message, here is a link to get them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TBnMotBQLUG_dHFyJ8Fbe3KPeDyc3iMf/view?usp=sharing

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another test kernel, upstreamed to 4.9.286. Let me know if works or not please.

Cheers
    HI!

Did you tried last test kernel? I will take a look to the log as soon as possible, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
    Nah, I didn't. I still have the one you bundled with your los build. However I have good news. Phh released an alpha build for android 12 (its in his telegram) and I booted it with your kernel. Not that I actually wanted to but I kinda forgot I had your kernel xd. I have logcat, lshal and dmesg from a12, I can upload them too if you want. Right after I get logs I returned back to los 16 so I can't experiment. Most stuff is broken and it's not daily drivable as of right now. Camera hal1 support is gone and bluetooth is dead for example. As for the flickering, a12's systemui is a little janky which makes it harder to distinguish if kernel was the cause or the systemui itself. I'd wait for a stable release before troubleshooting. In my los 16 installation I don't see regular flickering but I'll try to get dmesg right after I see it. Cheers.
    Hi!
    Did you try the test kernel in previous post?

Cheers
    not yet sorry :/ , I'll do it this weekend
    Another test kernel, upstreamed to 4.9.286. Let me know if works or not please.

Cheers
    Hi, works like a charm :) . No screen flickering since this morning
    Cheers
    Hi!
    Could you give me please a logcat? And a dmesg log?

Cheers
    Hi, I got the problem on my phone too (randomly flashing, but stable to be use daily). I do not have a dmseg or a logcat now (I think I have to follow this guide https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/logcat to generate what you want), but I got a bugreport generate from LOS16 if you're interested
    PHENIX KERNEL

Disclaimer:
    Use this kernel at your own risk. Flashing it may brick your device. I'm not responsible for any software/hardware and any kind of damages/losses.

NOTE : Use only on EMUI9 base(stock or custom)

REQUIREMENTS :

1. Unlocked bootloader
    2. EMUI 9
    3. Emui version < 9.1.0.300 (Optional, because higher emui version has broken wifi)

Changelog : 4.9.286:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.286
    • Fix screen flickering

4.9.178:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.178
    • Some optimization for cortex a-53
    • Set lz4 as default compressor for zram
    • Set westwood as default tcp congestion control

4.9.186:
    • Upstream to 4.9.186
    • Zen i/o scheduler (better performance)
    • Add 2 more cpu to hotplug
    4.9.194:
    • Add Boeffla wakelock blocker
    • Fix mistake to set Zen i/o sched
    4.9.200:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.200
    4.9.206:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.206
    • Optimizations
    4.9.220:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.220
    4.9.236:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.236
    4.9.246:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.246
    4.9.252:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.252
    • Changed gpu governor
    • Optimizations
    4.9.252 v1:
    • Optimizations
    • Compiled by gcc 7.5
    4.9.252 v1.1:
    • Introduced Simple_LMK
    • Add Fast Random
    • Improved scheduler
    • Other littles optimizations
    4.9.252 v1.2:
    • Introduced CPU boost
    • Disabled Huawei DUBAI
    • Cleaned and enabled cpu schedutil governor
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.253
    • Simple LMK Update
    4.9.263:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.263
    • Simple LMK Update
    4.9.278:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.278
    4.9.280:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.280

4.9.282:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.282
    • Optimizations
    • Update Simple_LMK
    4.9.284:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.284
    • Inserted UKSM
    • Update Simple_LMK

Download:
    Phenix - 4.9.286

How to flash:
    The kernel will be flashed by fastboot :

open a terminal from the pc and type (cable connected and set to "File Transfer") :

-adb reboot bootloader
    -fastboot flash kernel <Drag img file here> && fastboot reboot

XDA:DevDB Information
    Phenix Kernel, Kernel for the P20 lite

Contributors
    @TureX

Source Code:

https://github.com/turex/android_kernel_huawei_hi6250

Thanks To:
    @DarkJoker360
    @haky 86
    @0ckysaurus
    @-Alf-

@aled99

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: v1.0
    Stable Release Date: 02-03-2021

Created 02-03-2021
    Last Updated 02-03-2021
    I struggled for half a day with Nusantara GSI 3.2 (bootloop etc.), finally it booted with your kernel 280. Thanks ! :cool:
    I love this kernel, it performs great. Do you have any recommended settings for my ANE-LX3 running CAOS11?

Out of curiosity, what is Huawei Dubai?

Thank you once more for your work.
    Hi!
    According to driver module on the kernel, dubai stay for "Device Usage Big-data Analytics Initiative Driver".

Cheers
    Thanks Alf. This app tests apps installed "per Android rules" and located in the designated directories.
    Security can also be breached by a script for example written in Python, which makes certain resources on the phone work at a certain time and send information (or code written in C, may be compiled as part of the kernel.)
    Hi!
    I didn't apply any script to get information on my kernel, you can see entirely source kernel on my GitHub.
    Is upstreamed and more secure than the original one.
    I also disabled features like Huawei Dubai.
    If you have any doubt you can write again there.

Cheers
    Hi!
    New update is online!

Cheers