• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][EMUI 9][P20 lite] Phenix kernel

Search This thread

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Yes, if I open that app screen flickering
Hi, seems to be device dependent, it does not do it for me sorry. But I can still reproduce it with NewPipe (not all time). Seems to be random.
What are you doing to reproduce it with terminal emulator ? Just starting the app reproduce it?
In doubt I restarted the phone but it does not reproduce it sorry :/
Cheers

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Hi, seems to be device dependent, it does not do it for me sorry. But I can still reproduce it with NewPipe (not all time). Seems to be random.
What are you doing to reproduce it with terminal emulator ? Just starting the app reproduce it?
In doubt I restarted the phone but it does not reproduce it sorry :/
Cheers
Hi!

Wow this bug is make me crazy. For me just start that app and screen start to flickering. I'm starting to flash older versions of the kernel to try to insulate the bug, but is hard. For now, maybe, the better solution is using stock.

Cheers

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Hi!

Wow this bug is make me crazy. For me just start that app and screen start to flickering. I'm starting to flash older versions of the kernel to try to insulate the bug, but is hard. For now, maybe, the better solution is using stock.

Cheers
Ok, let me know if I can help, but it is usable as a daily driver. It flicker rarelly outside newpipe, and even when I'm watching something it does only flicker on comment section (thus not a big problem ^^').
As I remember the stock firmware I has before installing LOS16 was 9.1.2XX (I will take a look in my personnal computer folders if I found the firmware)

Reactions: TureX

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Ok, let me know if I can help, but it is usable as a daily driver. It flicker rarelly outside newpipe, and even when I'm watching something it does only flicker on comment section (thus not a big problem ^^').
As I remember the stock firmware I has before installing LOS16 was 9.1.2XX (I will take a look in my personnal computer folders if I found the firmware)
Thank you, as i said i'm trying to insulate the kernel version that make screen flickering. Could you please try 4.9.178(first post , old version kernel) and confirm that you haven't flickering problems?

Edit: seems problems starts on v 4.9.252 revision 1 (Phenix_v1_4.9.252.img) can someone try v4.9.252 and 4.9.252v1?

Last edited:

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Thank you, as i said i'm trying to insulate the kernel version that make screen flickering. Could you please try 4.9.178(first post , old version kernel) and confirm that you haven't flickering problems?
Installed, I'll let you know if I find something during the day, for now no flickering screen. Nevertheless I'll wait a few hours as it seems to be random. I will give you logs if it flickers.
Cheers

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020

lord_stoner

Dec 30, 2018

I test Phenix_4.9.286.img from yesterday and no problem now. Everything works well.​

My system :
GSI: crdrom-v313+211013-arm64-bvZ
GAPPS: open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20211014

Last edited:

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Hi!

This is an experiment with EAS (energy aware scheduling). kernel version is 4.9.287

Changelog:

• Disabled Zram
  • Timer set to 300 Hz
  • Disabled interactive governor in favour of cpu_schedutil
Let me know if you notice battery improvements or not

Edit: reupload

Cheers

Attachments

• Phenix_4.9.287.img
    12.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: TristanL

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Hi!

This is an experiment with EAS (energy aware scheduling). kernel version is 4.9.287

Changelog:

• Disabled Zram
  • Timer set to 300 Hz
  • Disabled interactive governor in favour of cpu_schedutil
Let me know if you notice battery improvements or not

Edit: reupload

Cheers
Hi, I'll test it, I do not know what is "interactive governor", but I wonder how could you get battery improvements if you disable swap/zram? Cause it will use RAM more intensively thus draining battery quicker?
Cheers

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Hi, I'll test it, I do not know what is "interactive governor", but I wonder how could you get battery improvements if you disable swap/zram? Cause it will use RAM more intensively thus draining battery quicker?
Cheers
Hi!
interactive governor is a default frequency scaler. I disabled zram and swap because cpu spend energy for ram compressing, so should consume less battery. However is an experiment , i will upload a "standard" version upstreamed to .289 with zram disabled too. If zram disactivated is useless i will reactivate.

Edit : New update online!

Cheers

Last edited:

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Hi!
interactive governor is a default frequency scaler. I disabled zram and swap because cpu spend energy for ram compressing, so should consume less battery. However is an experiment , i will upload a "standard" version upstreamed to .289 with zram disabled too. If zram disactivated is useless i will reactivate.

Edit : New update online!

Cheers
Hi @TureX , it has been some weeks since I use the "experimental" kernel, and I can not say if it improve or not the battery. At least the battery does not drains faster compared to previous kernel iterations, but not slower (maybe a little bit but I can not say). I tried it with LOS16 and DOTOS 5.2 (both experimental and normal in DOTOS).
For the battery maybe a of benchmark tool can helps you to compare iterations (first with huawei kernel then others?)?
Nevertheless in sleep mode your kernel is the best: I put my phone in airplane mode when I got to sleep, I wake up the morning and the battery percentage is the same!
Cheers

TureX

Mar 9, 2011
Huawei P20 Lite
Hi @TureX , it has been some weeks since I use the "experimental" kernel, and I can not say if it improve or not the battery. At least the battery does not drains faster compared to previous kernel iterations, but not slower (maybe a little bit but I can not say). I tried it with LOS16 and DOTOS 5.2 (both experimental and normal in DOTOS).
For the battery maybe a of benchmark tool can helps you to compare iterations (first with huawei kernel then others?)?
Nevertheless in sleep mode your kernel is the best: I put my phone in airplane mode when I got to sleep, I wake up the morning and the battery percentage is the same!
Cheers
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback! I will not continue EAS kernel because is the same in term of battery with lower performance.

Cheers

Reactions: TristanL

MariyanGOD

Jan 5, 2019
For some reason i get FAILED (remote: 'image verification error') when flashing. Tried the latest versions of both adb and fastboot and didnt work. I also tried both commands with drag and drop and just the name.img and still the same. Do you guys know how to fix it?

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
For some reason i get FAILED (remote: 'image verification error') when flashing. Tried the latest versions of both adb and fastboot and didnt work. I also tried both commands with drag and drop and just the name.img and still the same. Do you guys know how to fix it?

Hi, I do not have flash it with fastboot or adb (I don't know if you can flash something with adb). I flash it with TWRP 9.1 (Gagatura edition or something like this). This TWRP is installed on eRecovery, look for Alf comment's for futher infos (i.e. LOS 17 & 18 post).
I will try next time and see if I can get the same error with fastboot

TristanL

Dec 31, 2020
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback! I will not continue EAS kernel because is the same in term of battery with lower performance.

Cheers
OK, but your latest release does include the timer at 300Hz and the disable of swap. So your latest release should be slower than previous iteration? (Actually using 4.9.286)
Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for the updates and happy new year!

Screenshot_20211231-030633_Termux_1.png
    PHENIX KERNEL

Disclaimer:
    Use this kernel at your own risk. Flashing it may brick your device. I'm not responsible for any software/hardware and any kind of damages/losses.

NOTE : Use only on EMUI9 base(stock or custom)

REQUIREMENTS :

1. Unlocked bootloader
    2. EMUI 9
    3. Emui version < 9.1.0.300 (Optional, because higher emui version has broken wifi)

Changelog : 4.9.295:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.295
    • Disabled Simple_LMK
    • Enabled and fixed Android LMK on Android 11 (thanks @AltairFR for help me)

4.9.178:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.178
    • Some optimization for cortex a-53
    • Set lz4 as default compressor for zram
    • Set westwood as default tcp congestion control

4.9.186:
    • Upstream to 4.9.186
    • Zen i/o scheduler (better performance)
    • Add 2 more cpu to hotplug
    4.9.194:
    • Add Boeffla wakelock blocker
    • Fix mistake to set Zen i/o sched
    4.9.200:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.200
    4.9.206:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.206
    • Optimizations
    4.9.220:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.220
    4.9.236:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.236
    4.9.246:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.246
    4.9.252:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.252
    • Changed gpu governor
    • Optimizations
    4.9.252 v1:
    • Optimizations
    • Compiled by gcc 7.5
    4.9.252 v1.1:
    • Introduced Simple_LMK
    • Add Fast Random
    • Improved scheduler
    • Other littles optimizations
    4.9.252 v1.2:
    • Introduced CPU boost
    • Disabled Huawei DUBAI
    • Cleaned and enabled cpu schedutil governor
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.253
    • Simple LMK Update
    4.9.263:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.263
    • Simple LMK Update
    4.9.278:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.278
    4.9.280:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.280

4.9.282:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.282
    • Optimizations
    • Update Simple_LMK
    4.9.284:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.284
    • Inserted UKSM
    • Update Simple_LMK
    4.9.286:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.286
    • Fix screen flickering

4.9.289:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.289
    • Disabled Zram/swap
    • Set timer to 300 Hz
    4.9.292:
    • Upstreamed to 4.9.292
    • Enabled Zram/swap
    • Set timer to 100 Hz
    • Enabled Wireguard
    • Disabled UKSM

Download:
    Phenix - 4.9.295

How to flash:
    The kernel will be flashed by fastboot :

open a terminal from the pc and type (cable connected and set to "File Transfer") :

-adb reboot bootloader
    -fastboot flash kernel <Drag img file here> && fastboot reboot

XDA:DevDB Information
    Phenix Kernel, Kernel for the P20 lite

Contributors
    @TureX

Source Code:

https://github.com/turex/android_kernel_huawei_hi6250

Thanks To:
    @DarkJoker360
    @haky 86
    @0ckysaurus
    @-Alf-

@aled99

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: v1.0
    Stable Release Date: 02-03-2021

Created 02-03-2021
    Last Updated 02-03-2021
    I struggled for half a day with Nusantara GSI 3.2 (bootloop etc.), finally it booted with your kernel 280. Thanks ! :cool:
    I love this kernel, it performs great. Do you have any recommended settings for my ANE-LX3 running CAOS11?

Out of curiosity, what is Huawei Dubai?

Thank you once more for your work.
    Hi!
    According to driver module on the kernel, dubai stay for "Device Usage Big-data Analytics Initiative Driver".

Cheers
    Thanks Alf. This app tests apps installed "per Android rules" and located in the designated directories.
    Security can also be breached by a script for example written in Python, which makes certain resources on the phone work at a certain time and send information (or code written in C, may be compiled as part of the kernel.)
    Hi!
    I didn't apply any script to get information on my kernel, you can see entirely source kernel on my GitHub.
    Is upstreamed and more secure than the original one.
    I also disabled features like Huawei Dubai.
    If you have any doubt you can write again there.

Cheers
    Hi!
    New update is online!

Cheers