[KERNEL][EOL][10][OneUI/LOS][N960F/FD/N] RZ Kernel for Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Exynos

Search This thread

remilia15

Jan 1, 2017
/dev/ram
Code:
#include 
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.*/

RZ Kernel aims for as stock experience as possible. It is made from Samsung's stock kernel with stability updates thanks to great guys who made ELS (exynos-linux-stable) branch
It also attempts to increase overall multitasking performance while maintaining good battery life with proper settings

Features
  • Adapted new Samsung EMS scheduler from Samsung 4.14 kernel (with 16ms PELT)
  • Gaming optimizations (reduce heat while maintaining performance stability)
  • Disabled battery-hogging WAKELOCKS
  • WireGuard and DriveDroid support
  • Security patch fixes adapted

Thanks to corsicanu for helping me with initial kernel support

XDA:DevDB Information
RZ Kernel, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
remilia15
Source Code: https://github.com/diepquynh/android_kernel_samsung_universal9810

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2020-04-11
Last Updated 2020-08-27

remilia15

Jan 1, 2017
/dev/ram
Notices and Q&A

• The kernel is based on tw10-android-4.9-q branch of ELS, which is currently at stable state from my experience
  • Other related features of the kernel were picked from other sources. Credits belong to the owner
  • The kernel's energy costs table is remade in favor of new EMS scheduler

Questions and Answers (Q&A)

Q: AnTuTu scores please?
A: This kernel isn't made for benchmarks so let's not talk about it

Q: My phone gets hot while using this kernel?
A: Short answer: It's your own issue, fix it yourself. Nobody makes a kernel just to burn your hands

Long answer:
  • Install Termux app from Play Store
  • Enable screen rotation, open Termux in landspace mode
  • Type this command: su -c top -d 2
  • A list of processes will appear and refresh with 2s interval. Find which process consumes the most CPU usage with [%CPU] column and the package name in ARGS column. You should see the culprit of your issue

Reminder: There is no such thing as "I have nothing in background but the phone still heats up". There definitely something happen and 99% of the time it's some of the rogue apps running in background

Q: Can you add X Y Z feature to this kernel?
A: I want to keep the kernel clean and simple. However, if the feature is really useful, I'll consider adapting it with proper performance check before releasing

Q: Installation procedure?
A: Simply flash the kernel with supported ROM and forget. No Magisk reinstallation needed

Last edited:

remilia15

Jan 1, 2017
/dev/ram
Can u unleash some overclocking potential

Overclocking doesn't necessary improve overall performance. On 9810, it brings way higher power usage in the spectrum, and 1794MHz is the most optimal frequency for full big cluster workload so I won't going to touch it

Regarding GPU OC, extra 26MHz is kinda..... useless. We don't always touch that frequency even during gaming anyway

Sent from my SM-G955F using XDA Labs

bandario

Feb 1, 2011
Victoria
Is it possible to make oc optional? Tested Zeus Kernel with 2,3 and the Performance was snappier

There's a lot more going on in Zeus kernel than a simple OC; lots and lots of tweaks that result in buttery smooth UI. It doesn't like my device at present, unfortunately. More people reporting success with Q version now but mine just reboots.

Sep 26, 2019
There's a lot more going on in Zeus kernel than a simple OC; lots and lots of tweaks that result in buttery smooth UI. It doesn't like my device at present, unfortunately. More people reporting success with Q version now but mine just reboots.

Yea I had the exact same problem when I use Zeus kernel and it was just a bad experience for me

remilia15

Jan 1, 2017
/dev/ram

Practically, overclocking is useless with 9810, and I'm against any overclocking recommendation. The CPU isn't battery friendly at all. Real world performance benchmarks showed what Samsung gave regarding maximum frequency handling on stock is optimal with this chipset. Anything higher than such will result in significant power bump, making it inefficiently biased to performance

As well about kernel reboots, well that's just bad backports done to the kernel. The developer should be aware and have solutions or fix that by himself

clustered

Oct 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.shahabmedia.com
:good::good::good:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200416-102404_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200416-102404_Settings.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 448

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.*/

RZ Kernel aims for as stock experience as possible. It is made from Samsung's stock kernel with stability updates thanks to great guys who made ELS (exynos-linux-stable) branch
    It also attempts to increase overall multitasking performance while maintaining good battery life with proper settings

Features
    • Adapted new Samsung EMS scheduler from Samsung 4.14 kernel (with 16ms PELT)
    • Gaming optimizations (reduce heat while maintaining performance stability)
    • Disabled battery-hogging WAKELOCKS
    • WireGuard and DriveDroid support
    • Security patch fixes adapted

Thanks to corsicanu for helping me with initial kernel support

XDA:DevDB Information
    RZ Kernel, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
    remilia15
    Source Code: https://github.com/diepquynh/android_kernel_samsung_universal9810

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2020-04-11
    Last Updated 2020-08-27
    Notices and Q&A

• The kernel is based on tw10-android-4.9-q branch of ELS, which is currently at stable state from my experience
    • Other related features of the kernel were picked from other sources. Credits belong to the owner
    • The kernel's energy costs table is remade in favor of new EMS scheduler

Questions and Answers (Q&A)

Q: AnTuTu scores please?
    A: This kernel isn't made for benchmarks so let's not talk about it

Q: My phone gets hot while using this kernel?
    A: Short answer: It's your own issue, fix it yourself. Nobody makes a kernel just to burn your hands

Long answer:
    • Install Termux app from Play Store
    • Enable screen rotation, open Termux in landspace mode
    • Type this command: su -c top -d 2
    • A list of processes will appear and refresh with 2s interval. Find which process consumes the most CPU usage with [%CPU] column and the package name in ARGS column. You should see the culprit of your issue

Reminder: There is no such thing as "I have nothing in background but the phone still heats up". There definitely something happen and 99% of the time it's some of the rogue apps running in background

Q: Can you add X Y Z feature to this kernel?
    A: I want to keep the kernel clean and simple. However, if the feature is really useful, I'll consider adapting it with proper performance check before releasing

Q: Installation procedure?
    A: Simply flash the kernel with supported ROM and forget. No Magisk reinstallation needed
    Second public build is coming, and this will be the final build of the kernel project!
    We have been going through lots of ups and downs in the testing group, so here are the results

Changes:
    • Fixes zram on boot
    • Adapted a new kernel scheduler, supporting 32/64-bit task scheduling
    • Critical scheduler performance fixes
    • Adapted newer vendor support

As this is the final build of the whole kernel project, I'd like to say thank you to all supporters/developers who helped me improving the kernel. The whole project hasn't lasted long, but it was a great time. This and the RZ Kernel project for Exynos 8895 will also be abandoned, unfortunately

Once again, thank you for all your support!
    Download link: Drive folder

CHANGELOG:
    • 20200412: Initial release
    • 20200823 [FINAL]: Post #35

Practically, overclocking is useless with 9810, and I'm against any overclocking recommendation. The CPU isn't battery friendly at all. Real world performance benchmarks showed what Samsung gave regarding maximum frequency handling on stock is optimal with this chipset. Anything higher than such will result in significant power bump, making it inefficiently biased to performance

As well about kernel reboots, well that's just bad backports done to the kernel. The developer should be aware and have solutions or fix that by himself