[KERNEL] ESAL v2 - Marshmallow

Search This thread

XePeleato

Mar 19, 2016
Madrid
Hey, it's been a while since my last (and failed) release, so let's see if you can help me on this one.

As you might have guessed, I have compiled our latest kernel, and this is my own version!

Right now, people have reported battery life improvements, I'd love to hear what you think!

Changelog

Code:
V2.0
* Enabled some CPU governors.
V2.1
* Updated KSM with uKSM.
* Added Thunderplug hotplugging driver.
* Added PMC and Smartmax CPU governors.
* Added Init.d support. (Make sure the file has the proper permissions)
V2.2
* Updated GPU drivers to be compatible with EMUI 4.1.
* Added Intelliplug hotplugging driver.
*  Improved GPU performance.

Downloads
V2.2 (New): https://github.com/XePeleato/ALE-L21_ESAL/releases/tag/v2.2

Instructions
  1. Download the .zip
  2. Flash from recovery
  3. Done!
You can get the source here: https://github.com/XePeleato/ALE-L21_ESAL/tree/v2?files=1 (v2 branch)

Guide
I am going to try to help you to decide what settings you should apply

First of all, I recommend to install Kernel Adiutor.

If you prefer battery life:
Start Kernel Adiutor:
Go to CPU in the drop-down menu and set as governors PMC or Smartmax​
Then go to CPU hotplug and don't enable many cores, since more online cores means more power used. You can also set the Endurance level to Quad-core​

If you prefer performance:
Start Kernel Adiutor:
Go to CPU in the drop-down menu and set as governors performance (will set the CPUs to their max frequency)/ondemand/interactive​
Then go to CPU hotplug and make sure to lower the load threshold, having a low load threshold will make your phone use more cores (if you experience lag while playing, maybe it's set too low, so use a wise value, do your testing.)​

To conclude, I just mentioned where the settings are and some example values, if you love to play games you won't use the same settings as someone that just likes to read emails and use Google Chrome, find the settings you are comfortable with, and don't forget to set Apply on boot!
Now some screenshots of AnTuTu and 3DMark with Performance governor and Esalv2.1:
http://imgur.com/a/iRDpD
As you can see, even 3DMark detects that my score is higher than the average, try to beat that with stock kernel!

I hope you enjoy it, and please, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Last edited:

Firicel69

Dec 13, 2014
Bucuresti
just a quick question if you dont mind : any way to flash it via twrp ? so in case that something goes wrong i can easily restore the old one with a backup .

Reactions: juanche007
G

GuestK0031

Sim gets detected but stucks at the point of unlocking it.

rambik33

May 2, 2016
Minsk
XePeleato
Tnx bro)
Great job.
Finally , I have the full root, before either he could not edit the folder systems

G

GuestK0031

I've noticed it too, it finally unlocks in my end, can you please check if it gets unlocked?
I kept the screen active and it worked after 40s
Basic stuff works , so god for daily usage I guess. Is rep on github up to date of this kernel because I compiled it myself and nothing worked. I either think my toolchain is the problem.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Also the governors do work , I don't know if all do but theres a noticeable performance change when chaging it. Over/Undercloking still doesnt work , but its not the kernels problem. The power genie of emui controls it.

Last edited:

XePeleato

Mar 19, 2016
Madrid
I kept the screen active and it worked after 40s
Basic stuff works , so god for daily usage I guess. Is rep on github up to date of this kernel because I compiled it myself and nothing worked. I either think my toolchain is the problem.
Yes it is, the v2 branch, you'll need to edit build.sh to point it to your toolchain.

LG*L70

Aug 12, 2014
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC works.

I will test mobile data, GPS tomorrow.
"Bug": SIM unlock takes a lot more time than stock kernel.

Great work! May I ask what features are you going to add into? OTG maybe?

Anyway: Great! Keep it up!

EDIT:
How can I change governor? I'm looking for extra governos (PMC, Smartmax) in Kernel Auditor but I can't find them

Last edited:

XePeleato

Mar 19, 2016
Madrid
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC works.

I will test mobile data, GPS tomorrow.
"Bug": SIM unlock takes a lot more time than stock kernel.

Great work! May I ask what features are you going to add into? OTG maybe?

Anyway: Great! Keep it up!

EDIT:
How can I change governor? I'm looking for extra governos (PMC, Smartmax) in Kernel Auditor but I can't find them
Hi, can you find ondemand, interactive, powersave...? OTG is enabled, the problem is at the rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, it's been a while since my last (and failed) release, so let's see if you can help me on this one.

As you might have guessed, I have compiled our latest kernel, and this is my own version!

Right now, people have reported battery life improvements, I'd love to hear what you think!

Changelog

Code:
    V2.0
    * Enabled some CPU governors.
    V2.1
    * Updated KSM with uKSM.
    * Added Thunderplug hotplugging driver.
    * Added PMC and Smartmax CPU governors.
    * Added Init.d support. (Make sure the file has the proper permissions)
    V2.2
    * Updated GPU drivers to be compatible with EMUI 4.1.
    * Added Intelliplug hotplugging driver.
    *  Improved GPU performance.

Downloads
    V2.2 (New): https://github.com/XePeleato/ALE-L21_ESAL/releases/tag/v2.2

Instructions
    1. Download the .zip
    2. Flash from recovery
    3. Done!
    You can get the source here: https://github.com/XePeleato/ALE-L21_ESAL/tree/v2?files=1 (v2 branch)

Guide
    I am going to try to help you to decide what settings you should apply

First of all, I recommend to install Kernel Adiutor.

If you prefer battery life:
    Start Kernel Adiutor:
    Go to CPU in the drop-down menu and set as governors PMC or Smartmax​
    Then go to CPU hotplug and don't enable many cores, since more online cores means more power used. You can also set the Endurance level to Quad-core​

If you prefer performance:
    Start Kernel Adiutor:
    Go to CPU in the drop-down menu and set as governors performance (will set the CPUs to their max frequency)/ondemand/interactive​
    Then go to CPU hotplug and make sure to lower the load threshold, having a low load threshold will make your phone use more cores (if you experience lag while playing, maybe it's set too low, so use a wise value, do your testing.)​

To conclude, I just mentioned where the settings are and some example values, if you love to play games you won't use the same settings as someone that just likes to read emails and use Google Chrome, find the settings you are comfortable with, and don't forget to set Apply on boot!
    Now some screenshots of AnTuTu and 3DMark with Performance governor and Esalv2.1:
    http://imgur.com/a/iRDpD
    As you can see, even 3DMark detects that my score is higher than the average, try to beat that with stock kernel!

I hope you enjoy it, and please, I'd love to hear your suggestions!
    It's normal that device boot in less than 30 seconds after i flash the kernel ? :confused:

Could you please explain what's the problem in detail?

@XePeleato Thanks, really thanks
    just 1 thing to add, it is possible to add one kernel without systemless root patches and one patched? i mean, because for example, you wont be able to play with patched kernel PoGo, or use Android Pay
    Anyways it is only if you want, personally i dont care since i dont use these things but maybe some people does and, maybe for them they want to use your kernel and use Android Pay/PoGo lol
    im more worried about Intelliplug

EDIT2: and found a bug, with the kernel installed you dont have unabled Revoke USB debugging on Develeper options

The .img version includes all the ramdisk, so it works with stock emui, the .zip version just includes the kernel, so if you have something else in your boot partition, it stays untouched.

I made a test build with intelliplug

ZIP: https://mega.nz/#!bEwBRYoZ!yiUtymKI_YmyRn_ZbLuyEXZlVDSCcT914x5s7WGKUec
    IMG: https://mega.nz/#!eYQgnCLb!ZJlw_uA6JUUD-OftyGT8CUMkD5Jf65PCfctR1sVXcG4
    Can we get an OTA?

Forget about that, i just want some more gpu power... Vulkan api support would be my dream xd... Latest kernel 3.10.105?

Do you mean an ETA? Not really.

Even if this GPU had Vulkan support, it's still limited by hardware, it's from 2012 and yes, it will be 3.10.105.

Sincerely, updating a few kernel patches won't alter performance (that's why those are patches, nothing critical). The only thing that can help a bit is overclocking the GPU but I think that I have already explained that
    Alright, so I said I'd try that GPU patch, and so far it works good enough. While performing 3Dmark tests I analyzed sysfs gpufreq and it adjusts the frequency as intended. I'll include it in the next release and of course, all the credits fly to @Kostyan_nsk

17d13a13bdf6474f42ec6ac77b6ca7ec.jpg
    V2.1 is out! Check the OP, the link and changelog are there!