[KERNEL] ezV2020 Kernel [PIE][OREO][Stock]

Search This thread

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
Hello askermk2000. I was hoping you might also provide your impression of things. I am still hoping @ezzony will still respond with his impression of things.

The reference to "stock" kernel may refer to different kernels depending on the frame of reference. With the frame of reference being the LG device's included ROM, the stock kernel would be the specific kernel included with the LG Stock ROM (presumably one of the ones referenced at http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=US996 for the LG V20 US996); with the frame of reference being Linux in general, the stock kernel would be the base Linux kernel (presumably one of the ones referenced at https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/ ). Which frames of reference do you use when referring to your LG V20 kernels?

In my case [STOCK] means it's based on stock (kernel), and for use with stock roms.
My kernel is based on stock but, in it's later iterations has become heavily patched, which can be a problem. So this thread might make it sound like my kernel is not stock and ezV2020 is. It just means that ezV2020 is much closer to the stock/original kernel.

Your instinct about Oreo/Pie is likely correct.

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
In my case [STOCK] means it's based on stock (kernel), and for use with stock roms.
My kernel is based on stock but, in it's later iterations has become heavily patched, which can be a problem. So this thread might make it sound like my kernel is not stock and ezV2020 is. It just means that ezV2020 is much closer to the stock/original kernel.

Your instinct about Oreo/Pie is likely correct.
Okay. Thank you.

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
@Ascii3 Sorry been away for a while. Anyway the answer you previously got is correct.
Hello ezzony. There actually were many questions and askermk2000 answered some of the questions, though I was hoping to get both you inputs regarding the frame of reference of what it meant to be a stock-based.

As a bit of feedback, I am already using your US996_1.0-ezV2020.zip-packaged Oreo kernel on my LG V20 US996 and running stock "US99620f" firmware with Magisk 22.1 for root and removed Google Services Framework apps; most Google Apps; LG apps with analytics/spyware, significant defects, or other problems; Facebook apps; and Qualcomm location tracking apps; Mobile Services Manager (packagename: com.LogiaGroup.LogiaDeck) malware or malware-like app; and support/plugins apps specific to all such apps. I have not yet seen much difference to the original stock kernel. I have not yet done anything major; mostly, I have been mostly using my LG V20 US996 device as a phone. I note that exFat does work, and I have not had time to test whether USB OTG (USB hosts mode) or external monitor/television support works. With regards to battery life, it seems decent when WiFi is disabled (or maybe not connected). The WiFi connection noticeably consumes battery; some WiFi networks result in more battery consumption than others. I do not use or have tried Bluetooth. With regards to users that complained about loss of about 2%-3% per hour when device is idle, I lose about 2% in about a 10-hour period when idle and only connected to the cellular network and having WIFi, Bluetooth, and NFC off.

Last edited:

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20

@Ascii3

Your problem seems to be you do not understand what 'stock' means. All it means it that STOCK = ORIGINAL kernel that comes with the phone. Our Custom Kernels are modified original kernels and all that is detailed already in our threads.

Finally, there is going to be no more development for these kernels as this is quite old phone, so whatever you experience you are stuck with it. Buy a new battery if you have serious battery drain issues.

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
@ezzony
All it means it that STOCK = ORIGINAL kernel that comes with the phone. Our Custom Kernels are modified original kernels.
Thank you for affirming.

Finally, there is going to be no more development for these kernels as this is quite old phone, so whatever you experience you are stuck with it. Buy a new battery if you have serious battery drain issues.
I would clarify that I do not believe that I am not having serious battery issues. I brought up the point of the battery in my last posting in this thread simply to describe my observed performance and thought it a useful point of feedback, particularly because it was a point of comment somewhere earlier in this thread.

xdasree

Apr 11, 2012
@ezzony

Thanks a bunch for this kernel. I have strange issue with stock. with stock, HDMI display out not working for all output devices. Like works for one monitor for others don' t. It says connected to secondary screen but no video signal. after patching this kernel (oreo), boom it works. is there any build.prop setting or something that stopping video signal. ?

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
@ezzony

Thanks a bunch for this kernel. I have strange issue with stock. with stock, HDMI display out not working for all output devices. Like works for one monitor for others don' t. It says connected to secondary screen but no video signal. after patching this kernel (oreo), boom it works. is there any build.prop setting or something that stopping video signal. ?
You are welcome a bunch :)
No I don't think build.prop will affect much really.
Is everything working fine for you now?

xdasree

Apr 11, 2012
You are welcome a bunch :)
No I don't think build.prop will affect much really.
Is everything working fine for you now?

Yes, everything works well. I'm just using my v20 as media player/streaming only. Just wondering since there's no "pie" versions available for my h918 variant , Can I use your pie kernel on linage OS pie.

I've tried LOS 18.1 but HDMI display did not work. just thinking with your pie kernel with LOS 17.1.

Reactions: ezzony

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
No ezv2020 is for stock only. Won't work on LOS.

I'm on Lighthouse Rom now, stock on my second spare phone. I'll see if hdmi works on Lighthouse later. Or maybe if it doesn't we can get it to work. Maybe.

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
Just flashed Lighthouse. no luck for me on video out. It doesn't even recognized usb-c. no vibrate/input accepted sound.

I didn't port gapps yet. I hope It's nothing to do with gapps..right
Oh Damn. Well, since it works for you on Stock then I would say the most likely reason for your problem is the model of hub you are using.
One last try you could try this one, (aosp extened), if not I'd go back to stock.

xdasree

Apr 11, 2012
Oh Damn. Well, since it works for you on Stock then I would say the most likely reason for your problem is the model of hub you are using.
One last try you could try this one, (aosp extened), if not I'd go back to stock.

OK., I'll try that and report back. As I said before, it didn't work even with stock. After flashing ezV2020 kernel. It worked.
Another strange thing is it worked for all other monitor/projector, but not withTHE one always have problem.
Btw i should mentioned this before, I'm using usb-c on both ends not hdmi.
It accepts usb c as video input. Yeah cable is good.. worked with all my laptop, note 10 and all other devices which allows usb c alt mode.

All my reaserch leads to something something to do with kernel which led me to port ezV2020. and It worked ☺

Anyways I'll try that.... thanks again

Reactions: ezzony

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
OK., I'll try that and report back. As I said before, it didn't work even with stock. After flashing ezV2020 kernel. It worked.
Another strange thing is it worked for all other monitor/projector, but not withTHE one always have problem.
Btw i should mentioned this before, I'm using usb-c on both ends not hdmi.
It accepts usb c as video input. Yeah cable is good.. worked with all my laptop, note 10 and all other devices which allows usb c alt mode.

All my reaserch leads to something something to do with kernel which led me to port ezV2020. and It worked ☺

Anyways I'll try that.... thanks again

Where you using an older stock rom then? Since ezV2020 is supposed to be near stock, then I guess it was using the latest official sources from LG,
which then likely was newer than what you where using... IDK but I have here my kernel for custom rom. I've been working on lately, for LG G5, but
I have facilitated V20 as well. So I did a quick compile so you can try that. There is also gamma kernel for V20 series.

TLDR: Try my new kernel for custom roms (not stock/official roms).

Removed -- this was a beta with known problem. If desired I can upload for V20 variants when issues are resolved.

Last edited:

xdasree

Apr 11, 2012
Where you using an older stock rom then? Since ezV2020 is supposed to be near stock, then I guess it was using the latest official sources from LG,
which then likely was newer than what you where using... IDK but I have here my kernel for custom rom. I've been working on lately, for LG G5, but
I have facilitated V20 as well. So I did a quick compile so you can try that. There is also gamma kernel for V20 series.

TLDR: Try my new kernel for custom roms (not stock/official roms).

Thank you !

unfortunately, no luck with it too.

one thing I've noticed is that, I've set hdmi rotation to true in build.prop with kernel manager and rebooted. Now the moment I plugged in USB C, phone display rotating to horizontal automatically but NO video signal/display. Same thing happened to stock (oreo) as well until I flashed ezv2020.

el-sahef

Sep 28, 2019
Hello ezzony,

I am using your kernel since it became available and had no issues with it so far, it is working great. I know that the purpose of your kernel is to be as close to stock as possible without adding a ton of features or enhancements that might cause problems and I appreciate this orientation. However, the one thing that is missing for me is init.d support.
I need it to use the "fix startup leak" option in afwall+. Would you consider adding it to your kernel?

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
Hello ezzony,

I am using your kernel since it became available and had no issues with it so far, it is working great. I know that the purpose of your kernel is to be as close to stock as possible without adding a ton of features or enhancements that might cause problems and I appreciate this orientation. However, the one thing that is missing for me is init.d support.
I need it to use the "fix startup leak" option in afwall+. Would you consider adding it to your kernel?
I'll consider it. Are you on Oreo or Pie and what variant v20 do you have so that if I make it you can test it.

Edit: are you sure this is a kernel thing?

Last edited:

el-sahef

Sep 28, 2019
I'm on H990DS Oreo. I'd like to use Pie but I need mobile data and calls to work so as long as this is not sorted out I can't use it.

The folder /system/etc/init.d is already present but scripts in this folder are not executed according to this test: https://sangams.com.np/add-init-d-support-android-kernel-rom/

If the provided information is correct init.d support is part of boot.img

In the wiki for afwall+ it says that the kernel would need some kind of busy-box:

That's all I know.

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
I'm on H990DS Oreo. I'd like to use Pie but I need mobile data and calls to work so as long as this is not sorted out I can't use it.

The folder /system/etc/init.d is already present but scripts in this folder are not executed according to this test: https://sangams.com.np/add-init-d-support-android-kernel-rom/

If the provided information is correct init.d support is part of boot.img

In the wiki for afwall+ it says that the kernel would need some kind of busy-box:

That's all I know.
Okay. So as I suspected it's not part of the kernel, it's part of the "ramdisk". The boot.img is not just a kernel it is a kernel+ramdisk.

The changes have to be made in the ramdisk, not the kernel.

You need to extract your H990DS boot.img (which I don't have) using Android Image Kitchen, and add init.d support to the init.rc file in the ramdisk.

To get the boot image you can back up the boot image only in twrp, it will be called boot.emmc.win. Rename that file to boot.img, put it in the Android Image Kitchen root folder and extract it using unpackimg.bat, make the changes required in the init.rc file in the ramdisk folder, and then repack the boot image using repackimg.bat which recreates a new modified boot.img you can flash back using twrp.

That is actually quite straightforward. The only think I don't know is if those instructions, the code you need to add in the init.rc file, will actually work.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh #added init.d support export PATH=${PATH}:/system/bin:/system/xbin mount -o remount,rw -t auto /system chmod -R 755 /system/etc/init.d mount -o remount,ro -t auto /system logwrapper busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/

I would suggest searching xda as I wouldn't trust that website you linked to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Info

This is a stock based kernel with basic fixes only, i.e static screen fix and added color controls. A pure stock experience without any further enhancements. It is a one-off release, although I may fork it and add some minor features later in a new version. This version will stay fully stock with fixes only.

Why this? In my case custom kernels caused some negative issues. For example I like to connect my second device to my TV using a usbc hdmi dock. This would not work on custom kernels without problems, but does on stock, so I decided to fix this. Others have also reported performance issues I wasn't aware of. Hopefully these are fixed also.

Features

Stock kernel based on US996 Oreo sources (20f)
    Dirty Santa fixs applied - Static screen on boot fixed & dual sim issue.
    RCTD/Triton - disabled
    KCAL added - color controls to fix image retention issue
    DYNAMIC FSYNC - faster write speeds due to less error checking thus increasing performance. Toggle on/off in kernel manager.
    Boeffla Wakelock Blocker - This does nothing in itself - it just shows a list of wakelocks in your kernel manager that you can now disable.
    USB Mass Storage Enabled for DriveDroid.

Installation:

Back up your current boot in TWRP if you wish to easily go back to your current boot.img.
    Flash *.zip in TWRP.
    No need now to flash magisk as was the case with the beta version.

Downloads

OREO

https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=309696

PIE

Credits
    @AndDiSa and @nathanchance , for helping me get started with compiling.
    @askermk2000 - for providing the source code for the fixes. I would not be able to provide this without his work.
    H990DS is now up.

I have added boeffla wakelock blocker and Dynamic Fsync to the H990DS as a couple of enhancements. Only for H990DS as of today. edit: US996Santa now as well.

Could someone test all aspects of the network functionality as that's where the DS differs from all other varients.

I am thinking to add some governors as a final addition and then I'll upload all variants all going well.
    All up now including F800x
    Version 1.0 stable is up for all variants except F800x which is coming soon.

*No need to flash Magisk again now after flashing. Updated to anykernel3 in the zip which fixed that issue.
    hi for the h990 I just flash the us996 version?
    cause thats what I did with my h990ss & Its stuck on lg logo

No, you must restore your origional boot partition now.

Please read the OP in full. The thread title states it is for US996 only for the moment.