[KERNEL] [February 4] ElementalX-OP5 5.09

Search This thread

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 5
Quick question. I am a user who wouldn't know what to do with 90% of the customization options.

Will this kernel provide improved performance and/or battery life if I simply install it and never touch any of the settings?

Yes,

Additionally flar prefers to keep the kernel close to stock to ensure stability. Therefore as a user who doesn't know what most of the stuff does, you shouldn't run into any problems.

I would however encourage you to search for what different things do and try them out. All part of the journey in the custom android scene :good:

Sent from my OnePlus5 using XDA Labs

Reactions: flar2 and JelloB

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
Yes,

Additionally flar prefers to keep the kernel close to stock to ensure stability. Therefore as a user who doesn't know what most of the stuff does, you shouldn't run into any problems.

I would however encourage you to search for what different things do and try them out. All part of the journey in the custom android scene :good:

Any guide around for managing a kernel? Big cluster, little cluster? I don't have a clue what any of that means.

Side note, does anyone have a zip of the stock kernel or would be able to direct me where to get it?

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
Reactions: JelloB

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 5
Stumbled across this tonight. Figured I'd link it for anyone like me that's new to the kernel. Had to manually add the gov_profiles folder inside of the ElementalX one, but once I did these load fine.
I'm trying out Glassfish now.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=64645746&postcount=900

They will load and do a job but they are designed for the Nexus 5X and it's Snapdragon 808 processor. You would likely be holding back the power of the SD835 with those settings.

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
They will load and do a job but they are designed for the Nexus 5X and it's Snapdragon 808 processor. You would likely be holding back the power of the SD835 with those settings.

Yeah, I assumed that would be the case. I'm still gonna give it a whirl because frankly I don't think I was getting as good a battery performance on default elemental as I was getting on stock. The Nexus profiles should be great for battery on this device, no?

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Yeah, I assumed that would be the case. I'm still gonna give it a whirl because frankly I don't think I was getting as good a battery performance on default elemental as I was getting on stock. The Nexus profiles should be great for battery on this device, no?

Well, I'm aware of those since I came form a 6P and those are for a different kernel all together, I mean different kernel source. So, I have no idea how this kernel will handle those settings. I'll wait to see if anyone posts a profile based on this kernel first before loading any profiles up. Honestly @flar2 would be a better person to answer this question.

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
Feedback your findings after a few days? :good:
Sure. Woke up to about a 2% battery drain overnight, so that's nice.

Idle drain was my issue yesterday. I had my phone in my pocket on wifi for the majority of an eight hour shift, very minimal use, and lost about 50%. It seemed much higher than what I would lose at work previously on stock.

shobhit92bhar

May 6, 2013
Bangalore
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
Hey All,

Can anyone help in understanding what wakelocks are these? I am seeing it for first time.
My idle drain is around 1.5-2%. Stock rom, elementalx kernel, rooted, black substratum theme.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170713-192017.jpg
    Screenshot_20170713-192017.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 496
  • Screenshot_20170713-192041.jpg
    Screenshot_20170713-192041.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 490

OnceHeaven

Mar 1, 2006
Singapore
If anything, i would suggest that you give https://forum.xda-developers.com/sh... the near future. Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000

Reactions: JelloB and dsg2003

ray2jerry

Dec 11, 2010
At first I thought all of my friends and family started hating me precisely on July 10th around noon. I wasn't hearing from anyone and was even starting to get concerned, but realized they are all busy people too. Was still strange though... Until today, when a frustrated friend who has been trying to hang out for a few days emailed me.

Why am I telling you all of this personal stuff? Because ElementalX kernel had been blocking all of my text messages since installing it around noon on July 10th lol. I know this because as soon as I restored stock kernel I was flooded with roughly 80 SMS at once.

So if you suddenly feel like the world is ignoring you, please restore stock kernel from 1.04. You are loved, I assure you hahaha.

I'm on Telus in Canada if it helps. I also use dual SIM with Freedom Mobile but only use it for mobile data. If you need more info let me know.

rAy

EDIT: As with most things, it's dangerous to jump to conclusions. Upon further testing, it appears it could have been an app responsible for blocking the text messages. They only showed up when I reboot because the app hadn't had a chance to start yet. Anyway, I apologize for blaming the kernel, it worked pretty great otherwise!

Last edited:

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
At first I thought all of my friends and family started hating me precisely on July 10th around noon. I wasn't hearing from anyone and was even starting to get concerned, but realized they are all busy people too. Was still strange though... Until today, when a frustrated friend who has been trying to hang out for a few days emailed me.

Why am I telling you all of this personal stuff? Because ElementalX kernel had been blocking all of my text messages since installing it around noon on July 10th lol. I know this because as soon as I restored stock kernel I was flooded with roughly 80 SMS at once.

So if you suddenly feel like the world is ignoring you, please restore stock kernel from 1.04. You are loved, I assure you hahaha.

I'm on Telus in Canada if it helps. I also use dual SIM with Freedom Mobile but only use it for mobile data. If you need more info let me know.

rAy

Yeah, I'm having an issue too. Using Textra I'm not getting any notification of texts. Switched back to stock messaging and it appears to work.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

If anything, i would suggest that you give https://forum.xda-developers.com/sh...someone sets up some profiles for this phone.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org

rAy

EDIT: As with most things, it's dangerous to jump to conclusions. Upon further testing, it appears it could have been an app responsible for blocking the text messages. They only showed up when I reboot because the app hadn't had a chance to start yet. Anyway, I apologize for blaming the kernel, it worked pretty great otherwise!

Yes, the kernel has no effect on text messages.

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah I uninstalled and installed textra and notifications appear to be working fine. I wasn't getting gmail notifications either but I think I might have been on dnd with the alert slider, which I'm new to. Sorry...I'll chill out now in this thread since I think I have my bearings now. ;)

TheDarkDefender

Aug 5, 2012
Reston, VA
@flar2 I've started noticing that the phone doesn't wake up when I use the fingerprint to unlock, after I've left it idle for a long time. Goes into something like a sleep of death, but wakes up after I use the power button multiple times to wake it and then it starts lagging for a bit. Been happening since the newest version. Stock settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ElementalX Kernel
    for OnePlus 5
    p2214177205-11.jpg

ElementalX is designed for maximum stability.
    It is made for people who depend on their phone every day.

Features
    • Easy installation and setup with Aroma installer
    • Wake Gestures support (sweep2wake & doubletap2wake)
    • Advanced color control
    • K-Lapse support
    • Sweep2sleep
    • Sound control (headphones, earpiece and mic)
    • Backlight dimmer
    • Overclock or underclock CPU
    • LED settings
    • High brightness mode
    • Block wakelocks
    • Adjust or disable vibration
    • FIOPS, CFQ, deadline, noop, maple and SIO i/o schedulers
    • NTFS r/w, CIFS and NFS support
    • WireGuard support
    • USB fastcharge
    • Option to disable fsync
    • Performance and power optimizations
    • Pass SafetyNet
    • Compatible with systemless root

Installation

1. Flash in recovery

For maximum compatibility with all ROMs, ElementalX uses your existing ramdisk.
    Do NOT flash this over other custom kernels!
    You should only flash ElementalX over the kernel that came with your ROM!!!

Notes

EX Kernel Manager can be used to configure settings and update or install the kernel quickly and easily.

Control high brightness mode with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.hbmwidget

You can also use my free app Button Mapper to configure the navigation buttons.

Google+ Community

Downloads

OxygenOS 9 (Pie)
    ElementalX-OP5-5.09

OxygenOS Oreo
    ElementalX-OP5-3.11

OxygenOS/HydrogenOS/Stock-based ROMs(Android 8.0.0)
    ElementalX-OP5-2.07

OxygenOS/HydrogenOS/Stock-based ROMs(Android 7.1.1)
    ElementalX-OP5-1.11

Source code
    Github

XDA:DevDB Information
    ElementalX-OP5, Kernel for the OnePlus 5

Contributors
    flar2
    Source Code: https://github.com/flar2/OnePlus5

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2017-06-24
    Last Updated 2020-02-05
    Update!!!

A minor update for OxygenOS 5.0 (Oreo)

Stock/OxygenOS-based (Oreo)
    ElementalX-OP5-2.00

Changes:
    -initial release for Oreo
    Update!!!

This update adds LED options, CIFS and NFS support, disables the capacitive buttons while you are touching the screen and a global vibration control. The global vibration control works together with the vibration settings in Settings->Sound & vibration->Vibration intensity. Before this change, those settings were ignored.

OxygenOS Android 7.1.1
    ElementalX-OP5-1.02

Changes:
    -add global vibration control
    -add LED fade options (@Lord Boeffla)
    -add CIFS and NFS support
    -ignore button presses while touching screen
    I'm back from vacation, updates coming.

And who is downvoting the thread? Wtf?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone