• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[Kernel] Flykernel-13 "Back from the Grave"

erasmux

Retired Recognized Developer
May 22, 2010
Tried flashing over froydvillain1.7.2 and got the endless bootup loop problem. I just reflashed froydvillain1.7.2 which started ok then tried the FlyKernel-12a_-notweak.zip and it has booted. Seems ok so far. Can't really report any difference as of yet but will if I notice.
Ok, thanks. The -notweak is without my latest tweaks so it just for testing. How about the FlyKernel-12-CM-576-352.zip file from FAQ #4, does that work fine for you?

schlehdorn

Sep 18, 2008
Sry I have no backup. Flashed flykernel 12a and the wakeup issue is gone. Then tried the one with -notweak flag and everything is snappier now, but gaming performance is still poor on my hero.

Edit: amazing fast reboot time :)

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

erasmux

May 22, 2010
Sry I have no backup. Flashed flykernel 12a and the wakeup issue is gone. Then tried the one with -notweak flag and everything is snappier now, but gaming performance is still poor on my hero.

Edit: amazing fast reboot time :)

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
I am not sure I understand what you did. In any case, try to flash the "new" 12a from the main post "as is", without the -notweak. Detail at the very least which ROM you are using.
Regarding the gaming performance, please detail what where your neocore scores before (also with what kernel) and what are they now. If you are serious about gaming performance, install a clean installation of Floyo 1.2.0 (if only for the testing), and install flykernel 12a over it - then test noecore and you should reach/surpass my results.

erasmux

May 22, 2010
FlyKernel-12a has been released on the main post. It contains a fix for the wakeup issues the new scheduler tweaks have brought.
Additionally, one of the tweaks (the noatime tweak) which where done automatically by the FlyKernel-12 update is now optional - see main post. This should hopefully solve the boot issues for those who suffer from them.

For those who have boot issues with FlyKernel-12: Please restore a backup of your working configuration, boot to see it works, and then try the new FlyKernel-12a.zip from the main post. If you have problems continue according to FAQ #4 (on second post).

For those who are using the FlyKernel-12a_.zip - which was posted a few pages back - and do not have problems, you do not need to reflash 12a. The kernel binary is exactly the same!

Thanks to all those who are helping me hunt down these bugs :D

walkinhotdog

Jul 7, 2009
The new flykernel12a works perfect now. No wakeup issues, battery life is good, gaming is just as good if not better than flykernel11c bfs, seems like everything is smoother/faster. Great work erasmux, no complaints on this one

Few questions tho, setcpu shows that time in state values for 352 and below are very low, while the 576+518 are very high. For flykernel11c my values for 352 and below were always very high along with 576. Why is that? Is it in such deep sleep that it no longer records? And i have 576 set as my max now, but it seems to stay on 518+576 while awake. Isnt it supposed to stay at 576 only? Just curious

erasmux

May 22, 2010
The new flykernel12a works perfect now. No wakeup issues, battery life is good, gaming is just as good if not better than flykernel11c bfs, seems like everything is smoother/faster. Great work erasmux, no complaints on this one

Few questions tho, setcpu shows that time in state values for 352 and below are very low, while the 576+518 are very high. For flykernel11c my values for 352 and below were always very high along with 576. Why is that? Is it in such deep sleep that it no longer records? And i have 576 set as my max now, but it seems to stay on 518+576 while awake. Isnt it supposed to stay at 576 only? Just curious
Read the second the post of this thread. I explain there smartass is capped to >= 518 when screen on so it should really be 518 & 576 when awake :)
Regarding the sleep frequencies, I haven't gotten the time to properly write it up on the 2nd post, but see post #919 on this thread (link to it is found on second post btw).

ZeppeMan

Dec 14, 2009
Just tested 12a.

Neocore performance still the same.
672/176 smartass -> 36.5fps
672 performance -> 37.1fps

Smooth and responsive, no lag,..

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

erasmux

May 22, 2010
Is it worth the people not having any problems with 12 to flash the 12a update?
Seems 12a is just bug fixes that dont affect me?
(No wakeup issues and no boot problems)
The bugfix for the wake issues, might effect other things which we are not aware of. I prefer the solution in 12a, it is cleaner, hence I recommend upgrading.

bellor

Jan 22, 2008
Bucharest
Hi erasmux.
I am running FV 1.7.2 with an ext2 sdcard partition. Just tried the Flykernel 12a version with a nologo option and the phone would not boot anymore.
What do you think?

EDIT:
Following your indications, I flashed the 12a kernel with notweak. Result is bootloop once more.

Last edited:

erasmux

May 22, 2010
Hi erasmux.
I am running FV 1.7.2 with an ext2 sdcard partition. Just tried the Flykernel 12a version with a nologo option and the phone would not boot anymore.
What do you think?

EDIT:
Following your indications, I flashed the 12a kernel with notweak. Result is bootloop once more.
First, just to be sure. Did you restore a backup, verify that it boots fine and only then install the FlyKernel-12a-notweak.zip?
If not, please do so.
If yes, and are willing to help me isolate the problem, can you please find until which 12pre version does it work for you (on the 3rd post of this thread). Again you need to flash them on a working version, so I would start with pre2 (after restoring a working backup once again), and continuing to later versions until it breaks.
Thanks.

bellor

Jan 22, 2008
Bucharest
I did restore a working version and then the notweak version.
And since I am quite the impatient bitch... I flashed the pre6 version first... and it works. All of this starting from a clean 1.7.2 FV version

EDIT: The phone is a lot faster now. I also get the same benchmark scores.
Maybe the problem is with your smart update package... since I presume there are not a lot of differences between the pre6 and 12a versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: erasmux

erasmux

May 22, 2010
I did restore a working version and then the notweak version.
And since I am quite the impatient bitch... I flashed the pre6 version first... and it works. All of this starting from a clean 1.7.2 FV version

EDIT: The phone is a lot faster now. I also get the same benchmark scores.
Maybe the problem is with your smart update package... since I presume there are not a lot of differences between the pre6 and 12a versions.
Big thanks, that really helps to start narrowing it down. Its quite weird because I did a clean install of FV 1.7.2 on my phone and 12 installed with no problem on it....
If possible, I would like you to test some more "test" versions to help me isolate the problem. First, here is 12a "oldschool" update which is exactly the same as the 12-pre updates - so we can rule out the new smart update. Please flash it over a working version.
Let me know how this goes and we'll go from there....

bellor

Jan 22, 2008
Bucharest
So after I flash this update... if it works I'll have a 12a flykernel installed?

EDIT: Can confirm... installed 12a oldschool over pre6 kernel (it was working correctly), but now it bootloops.

Last edited:

erasmux

May 22, 2010
So after I flash this update... if it works I'll have a 12a flykernel installed?

EDIT: Can confirm... installed 12a oldschool over pre6 kernel (it was working correctly), but now it bootloops.
Damn, although I didn't believe it, was actually hoping this would work.
I now need to compile some test versions for this, but will not be able to this in the next few hours. Will post something later today.

moonroy

May 26, 2010
Same here, installed Elelinux 2.2.1 special, and then flykernel12. Battery died during the night, and then it wouldn't boot any more. Just looped.

erasmux

May 22, 2010
Same here, installed Elelinux 2.2.1 special, and then flykernel12. Battery died during the night, and then it wouldn't boot any more. Just looped.
That sounds like a different issue, if you flashed the flykernel-12 and it worked for you, not sure its kernel related.
Restore a backup of a work configuration, make sure it works, and then flash the 12a update from the main post and it should work fine. If not restore your working backup again and try 12pre6 from the 3rd post in this thread and let me know how it goes.

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone