[KERNEL] fps v0.4 kernel for stock/MCR [2012-02-08]

Search This thread

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
fps kernel by dr4go

This kernel is based on the newly released LG v20Q sources, but also includes every (still) needed fix from imperticus' NeoBlaze kernel. It should work on both Froyo and Gingerbread stock and MoDaCo based ROMs. It won't work with CyanogenMod based ROMs.

Prerequisites:
For the SWAP Enabler you need at least 384MB of free disk space on your /data/ partition. And because the swap enabler just triggers the creation of a swapfile it would be best if the data partition wouldn't be too full when executing it (fragmentation will decrease the swap performance by a whole lot!)

Features:
- EXT2/3/4 built in
- NTFS R/W built in
- OC/UV support, overclocking up to 1552MHz [based on cpasjuste] - I recommend SetCPU (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419)
- SDRAM, VDE and GPU overclock [morfic]
- Voodoo Sound [supercurio]
- VR I/O scheduler
- BFQ I/O scheduler (default)
- SLQB memory allocator
- CIFS, TUN
- SWAP support (including swap notify patch for people who want to play around with compcache)

Credits:
- cpasjuste
- beene
- rmcc
- pastime1971
- morfic
- supercurio
- hell_97
- msk
- faux123
- imperticus

Greetings:
- carburano
- juri256
- ryan

INSTALLATION
1. Remove "boot settings" from Pimp My Cpu to reset to default values
2. Reboot into CWM (v5.0.2.7-r2 recommended)
3. Install zip file from SDCARD
4. Reboot

Kernel sources: Github

Personal note: Although I've already been built a lot of kernels (for the HTC Desire HD and also the LG Optimus 2X) I've never released them to public. And I mainly decided to do it, because I'm really really unsatisfied by the performance of this device. Imho it could and should perform a lot better. Join me if you would like to be part of this adventure. ;)

And to conclude with imperticus words: Please also don't forget the 'Thanks button'. :D

Attachments

• 2b-fps_0.1.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,271
  • 2c-swap_enabler_0.1.zip
    160.5 KB · Views: 887
  • 2c-swap_disabler_0.1.zip
    159.7 KB · Views: 561
  • 2b-fps_0.2a_repack.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 249
  • boot.img.0.2a.rar
    3.5 MB · Views: 105
  • 2b-fps_0.3a.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 699
  • 2b-fps_0.3a_safe.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 877
  • 2b-fps_0.4.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 489
  • 2b-fps_0.4_safe.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 661
Last edited:

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
CHANGELOG

2012-02-08
**Kernel v0.4:
- Based on LG's v20Q codebase
- Total removal of RAM hack (may be preliminary, hadn't the chance to look into a few issues, yet...)
- 1st try to fix 50hrs+ issue and a bluetooth incompatibility

2012-01-12
**Kernel v0.3a:
- Reverted the linux kernel patching series (apparently we are stuck on v2.6.32.9)
- Reduced RAM hack to 32MB
- Changed frequency table again (1015MHz replaced with 1040MHz)
- _safe installer added (@ Lo_RaT_PeNaT: that's the version for you to try)

2012-01-10
**Kernel v0.3:
- Improved battery usage
- Fixed a small Synaptic problem
- Patched to 2.6.32.53
- Changed default scheduler to BFQ
- Added some arm 2.6.35+ cpu features (=for snappier phone handling)
- Tweaked .config
- Faster startup time
- Improved EXT4 write performance
- Changed wifi driver
- Lots of sysctl tweaks
- Changed default max frequency to 1216MHz (previously 1408MHz)
- Changed frequency table (added a new frequency 1552MHz, removed 1100MHz)
- Tweaked voltages
- Integrated 64MB Hack

History:
Code:
[u]2012-01-09[/u]
**Kernel v0.2a_repack:
- Merged both installers (of v0.1 and v0.2) and created new one (it no longer overwrites the build.prop file)

[u]2011-12-31[/u]
**Kernel v0.2a:
- Reverted battery voltage scaling fix for Froyo sources
**Kernel v0.2:
- Added SWAP support
- Improved EXT2 and EXT3 performance
- Added NTFS R/W support
- Drastically improved disk and memory read and write speeds when heavy I/O is involved
- Added kernel version to status and removed localversion from it
- Integrated swap notify patch (if anybody wants to use compcache)
- New installer (and dalvik cache is now also automatically wiped)
- Changed default min frequency to 216MHz (previously 389MHz)
- Changed default max frequency to 1408MHz (previously 1015MHz)
- Changed default governor
**SWAP Enabler v0.1:
- First public release
**SWAP Disbler v0.1:
- First public release

[u]2011-12-28[/u]
**Kernel v0.1:
- First public release

FAQ

1. Does fps stand for frames per second?
No, it doesn't. And I will never ever release this information to anyone here. Sorry folks. ;)

2. What is the difference between the normal and the safe version?
Only the installer. If you're stuck when booting, please try the _safe version. Otherwise it is the same kernel.

3. ...more to follow... :)

Last edited:

rexren

Jan 27, 2011
Taipei
It's a great news to have a new kernel to try!

Edit:
ROM:Gueste2x_v2.1(base on v20e&v20m)

1.After 3 times test, quadrant score is about 2800 at 1Ghz.(HP SR1 is about 3300)
2.Andrev OC can work. I really like Myrt's apps to set UV&OC.

Last edited:

feav

Nov 7, 2007
dr4go,
Will you add swap support to your kernel? Because this is really great feature for our low memory device )

Reactions: dr4go

sibbor

Jul 28, 2008
sibbor.nu
How come these kernels doesn't work with both CM7 and stock (like MCR) based ROMs? Isn't it possible to fix it? Modles? Kernel version? Too much patches provided by LG?

Remember HTC Hero development back in the days; almost all kernels worked independent on ROM. It was an exception (more or less) if the kernel didn't work with a specific ROM.

Looks like a great kernel, but won't flash a stock based ROM over CM.

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
installed kernel on stock gingerbread rom.

got a quadrant score of 5700+ at OC 1.2 ghz (VR I/O scheduler)

changed I/O scheduler to BFQ and my score jumped to 6000+

Thanks, that is exactly the information I need to improve the kernel. During HTC Desire HD days, there was no better scheduler than the VR I/O scheduler.

Could you also share your results you get with the Anticipatory-, NoOp- and Deadline-I/O scheduler? That way I could select the best one of those.

Thank you in advance.
dr4go

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
dr4go,
Will you add swap support to your kernel? Because this is really great feature for our low memory device )

Noted. Imo you are right, that it would be a great feature for the LG Optimus P990. ;)

Still a lot on my todo list... I already wanted to release it a few days back (as you may have noted I made the last commit on December 12th - since then I'm using it on my device.

Lastly... regarding the todo list: it's done when it's done - and as always: No information released to public before a new kernel it's out. ;)

Stay tuned folks.

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
How come these kernels doesn't work with both CM7 and stock (like MCR) based ROMs? Isn't it possible to fix it? Modles? Kernel version? Too much patches provided by LG?

Remember HTC Hero development back in the days; almost all kernels worked independent on ROM. It was an exception (more or less) if the kernel didn't work with a specific ROM.

Looks like a great kernel, but won't flash a stock based ROM over CM.

Don't get me wrong: I never had CM installed on any of my previous Android devices. My kernel may work on CM, but honestly... I have no clue.
Yes I've also wanted to try CM once, but as you know... you don't have time for everything. :)

If you are willing to test it, just flash my kernel (but leave also any other working CM kernel on your SDCARD just in case it doesn't boot anymore) and if you do so... please report back... also what works or what doesn't work...

Thanks in advance,
dr4go

KillerbeeNL

Dec 25, 2008
I dealt want to try this kernel buy I do not want to f**k up my phone because it is very good with v20o and rock stable.

is it possible to post a stock kernel so I can return without a flash?

thanks

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
I dealt want to try this kernel buy I do not want to f**k up my phone because it is very good with v20o and rock stable.

is it possible to post a stock kernel so I can return without a flash?

thanks

You can find your current kernel inside your zip file of your current ROM. And I doubt that it's the stock kernel you've currently have...

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
its the rebuild stock v20o from hell_97 with same changelog v20o (?)

This is your current kernel you have.

To restore it, there are two possibilities:
1) Copy it to your sdcard and flash it inside a root terminal using the commands:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

2) Copy the boot.img file inside your nvflash folder, and execute:
Code:
nvflash --bl fastboot.bin --download 10 boot.img

Attachments

• boot.rar
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

KillerbeeNL

Dec 25, 2008
This is your current kernel you have.

To restore it, there are two possibilities:
1) Copy it to your sdcard and flash it inside a root terminal using the commands:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p5
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p5

2) Copy the boot.img file inside your nvflash folder, and execute:
Code:
nvflash --bl fastboot.bin --download 10 boot.img

tnx ..i made a nandbackup with CWM from my current rom and now a have flashed your kernel so if anything goes wrong I can go back :D

I will test this kernel for a couple of days for stability and battery use.

what's with the "windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec 120 " ??

LG 2X lcd screen has a refreshrate of 72hz so anything higher than 72 fps (120) could cause tearing in animations (?)

thanks for your effort and time

Last edited:

spica1234

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
India
tnx ..i made a nandbackup with CWM from my current rom and now a have flashed your kernel so if anything goes wrong I can go back :D

I will test this kernel for a couple of days for stability and battery use.

what's with the "windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec 120 " ??

LG 2X lcd screen has a refreshrate of 72hz so anything higher than 72 fps (120) could cause tearing in animations (?)

thanks for your effort and time

Max_events_per_sec sets OS(software opengl related params) related frames. While actual hw fps is setted in tegra frame buffer kernel driver. Increasing refresh rate at HW level(at kernel level) gives fake higher 2d (as benchmarking software read hw refresh rate to judge 2D),Infact worsen performance and in a long run it damages LCD Controllers and can be dangerous:) Actual supported refresh rate is 60hz for mobile QVGA and HVGA and you may find 60-62 with other company except LG.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

el_charlie

Jan 19, 2010
Maracaibo
Max_events_per_sec sets OS(software opengl related params) related frames. While actual hw fps is setted in tegra frame buffer kernel driver. Increasing refresh rate at HW level(at kernel level) gives fake higher 2d (as benchmarking software read hw refresh rate to judge 2D),Infact worsen performance and in a long run it damages LCD Controllers and can be dangerous:) Actual supported refresh rate is 60hz for mobile QVGA and HVGA and you may find 60-62 with other company except LG.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

So, which value is recommended??? Leave it at 60??? Or 72 in our case????

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    fps kernel by dr4go

This kernel is based on the newly released LG v20Q sources, but also includes every (still) needed fix from imperticus' NeoBlaze kernel. It should work on both Froyo and Gingerbread stock and MoDaCo based ROMs. It won't work with CyanogenMod based ROMs.

Prerequisites:
    For the SWAP Enabler you need at least 384MB of free disk space on your /data/ partition. And because the swap enabler just triggers the creation of a swapfile it would be best if the data partition wouldn't be too full when executing it (fragmentation will decrease the swap performance by a whole lot!)

Features:
    - EXT2/3/4 built in
    - NTFS R/W built in
    - OC/UV support, overclocking up to 1552MHz [based on cpasjuste] - I recommend SetCPU (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419)
    - SDRAM, VDE and GPU overclock [morfic]
    - Voodoo Sound [supercurio]
    - VR I/O scheduler
    - BFQ I/O scheduler (default)
    - SLQB memory allocator
    - CIFS, TUN
    - SWAP support (including swap notify patch for people who want to play around with compcache)

Credits:
    - cpasjuste
    - beene
    - rmcc
    - pastime1971
    - morfic
    - supercurio
    - hell_97
    - msk
    - faux123
    - imperticus

Greetings:
    - carburano
    - juri256
    - ryan

INSTALLATION
    1. Remove "boot settings" from Pimp My Cpu to reset to default values
    2. Reboot into CWM (v5.0.2.7-r2 recommended)
    3. Install zip file from SDCARD
    4. Reboot

Kernel sources: Github

Personal note: Although I've already been built a lot of kernels (for the HTC Desire HD and also the LG Optimus 2X) I've never released them to public. And I mainly decided to do it, because I'm really really unsatisfied by the performance of this device. Imho it could and should perform a lot better. Join me if you would like to be part of this adventure. ;)

And to conclude with imperticus words: Please also don't forget the 'Thanks button'. :D
    CHANGELOG

2012-02-08
    **Kernel v0.4:
    - Based on LG's v20Q codebase
    - Total removal of RAM hack (may be preliminary, hadn't the chance to look into a few issues, yet...)
    - 1st try to fix 50hrs+ issue and a bluetooth incompatibility

2012-01-12
    **Kernel v0.3a:
    - Reverted the linux kernel patching series (apparently we are stuck on v2.6.32.9)

2012-01-10
    **Kernel v0.3:
    - Improved battery usage
    - Fixed a small Synaptic problem
    - Patched to 2.6.32.53
    - Changed default scheduler to BFQ
    - Added some arm 2.6.35+ cpu features (=for snappier phone handling)
    - Tweaked .config
    - Faster startup time
    - Improved EXT4 write performance
    - Changed wifi driver
    - Lots of sysctl tweaks
    - Changed default max frequency to 1216MHz (previously 1408MHz)
    - Changed frequency table (added a new frequency 1552MHz, removed 1100MHz)
    - Tweaked voltages
    - Integrated 64MB Hack

History:
    Code:
    [u]2012-01-09[/u]
    **Kernel v0.2a_repack:
    - Merged both installers (of v0.1 and v0.2) and created new one (it no longer overwrites the build.prop file)

[u]2011-12-31[/u]
    **Kernel v0.2a:
    - Reverted battery voltage scaling fix for Froyo sources
    **Kernel v0.2:
    - Added SWAP support
    - Improved EXT2 and EXT3 performance
    - Added NTFS R/W support
    - Drastically improved disk and memory read and write speeds when heavy I/O is involved
    - Added kernel version to status and removed localversion from it
    - Integrated swap notify patch (if anybody wants to use compcache)
    - New installer (and dalvik cache is now also automatically wiped)
    - Changed default min frequency to 216MHz (previously 389MHz)
    - Changed default max frequency to 1408MHz (previously 1015MHz)
    - Changed default governor
    **SWAP Enabler v0.1:
    - First public release
    **SWAP Disbler v0.1:
    - First public release

[u]2011-12-28[/u]
    **Kernel v0.1:
    - First public release

FAQ

1. Does fps stand for frames per second?
    No, it doesn't. And I will never ever release this information to anyone here. Sorry folks. ;)

2. What is the difference between the normal and the safe version?
    Only the installer. If you're stuck when booting, please try the _safe version. Otherwise it is the same kernel.

3. ...more to follow... :)
    dr4go

Do you know how we can enable options for wifi for regulatory domains/channels (12,13,14).
    I see that with your kernel we dont.have this option :)

ver0.2 kernel on gueste v2.2

Sent from my Tapatalk | www.androidhr.isgreat.org

Fixed with version v0.2b when it's out.

To all other waiting for v0.3: I wanted to release this version I'm currently testing on my Optimus P990. The version is so f*****g nice I can tell you... honestly: never saw such a smooth p990 before.
    The only problem: It is not stable, yet. I experienced a few - reproducable - freezes and have to iron them out first. Sorry folks - no new kernel, yet. :)
    ramhack is not good for 3D games so I read ??

Well... It reduces the RAM for the GPU, but gives it instead to the CPU - as simple as it is... But because we don't have that much RAM on our device I prefer to give more to the cpu instead.

The final v0.3a should be released within minutes... Changelog:
    I just realised that if you do not overclock, the default frequency is 1015mhz , meaning if you don't overclock you are stuck with single core.

I think the frequency required for activation of 2nd core at 1040mhz is abit too high. can you please lower it to 900+mhz

Some of us do not overclock the device.

Yes, that's exactly why I've written the following post a few days back: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21351620&postcount=178

An additional non-oc version would be great!
    [...]

A working-with-2nd-core-version @ stock speed will come - I'll modify the frequency table to allow that. Regarding BT: I'll also try to fix that in the following version.

Regarding date: no eta. probably this weekend. Sorry for the lack of time.