• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL] Furnace for AOSP [D850/1/2/5/LS990/VS985][3/1/2015][LiveSharp][KCAL]

Search This thread

savoca

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
hhnNAaE.jpg

Note: I will NOT add useless optimization drivers, "DanceLizard360" governor, or any random frequency step pulled out of who knows where. I WILL add features I've either written or thoroughly reviewed myself that actually serve a purpose. If you'd like to contribute or recommend a feature, think before you speak. This is not a toy, this is a tool to control the hardware on your device. That said... enjoy!

download | source | features | tweaking

Control your display sharpening on the fly! (Thanks to @autoprime for help! (and @sawdey21 for the name)).
Whetstone

This release is for Lollipop-based ROMs only. The kernel is based on cm-12.0, which is the only ROM officially supported.
It is highly recommended that you are NOT coming from a a custom kernel during installation, unless you are updating from a previous furnace release.

Last edited:

RL77LUC

Oct 5, 2009
Trilport
So great, thanks for your work !

Would it be possible to have kexec-hardboot patch on this kernel ? That would be great ^^.

Also, I would like to know what is "Furnace boot mode". Is it a quick-boot feature or something similar ?

Last edited:

savoca

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
Hey man could you please add support for d852 (Canada)?

Of course, I'll be using CM's d852 defconfig. I just haven't built them because there were no official nightlies yet, same with ls990. Check the OP in a few minutes.

So great, thanks for your work !

Would it be possible to have kexec-hardboot patch on this kernel ? That would be great ^^.

Also, I would like to know what is "Furnace boot mode". Is it a quick-boot feature or something similar ?

Yes to kexec, and furnace boot mode lets you use a terminal emulator (as root) or adb to run "reboot furnace" for "adb reboot furnace". After the phone boots up again, you will load with a custom rgb/kcal profile. Perhaps I'll add other profiles as well to the boot mode. Sharpening, CPU, etc..

Currently using Fechinator's kernel... So is it best to just reflash CM12, THEN go to Furnace?

Correct, that would be ideal.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hhnNAaE.jpg

Note: I will NOT add useless optimization drivers, "DanceLizard360" governor, or any random frequency step pulled out of who knows where. I WILL add features I've either written or thoroughly reviewed myself that actually serve a purpose. If you'd like to contribute or recommend a feature, think before you speak. This is not a toy, this is a tool to control the hardware on your device. That said... enjoy!

download | source | features | tweaking

Control your display sharpening on the fly! (Thanks to @autoprime for help! (and @sawdey21 for the name)).
    Whetstone

This release is for Lollipop-based ROMs only. The kernel is based on cm-12.0, which is the only ROM officially supported.
    It is highly recommended that you are NOT coming from a a custom kernel during installation, unless you are updating from a previous furnace release.
    It's a legitimate question, I'm not asking for "useless" stuff, alot of governors have more than just a few options, that's why people prefer to use 3rd party kernels, I mean this kernel has the exact same options as a stock kernel, I'm asking from a performance standpoint, the maintainer could easily add more governors and schedulers, alot of them can easily pass his "testing".

I totally get where you're coming from, I really do. In fact not even a year ago I was pumping out kernels every week on the G2, with my only focus being a fat changelog and a massive defconfig (defconfig is where you enable or disable features before build). If there's anything I learned about kernel development and coding during my time spent being *that* kind of developer, it's this: Nothing.

Yes, I literally learned nothing at that time. More interestingly, that was the biggest exposure I had been getting as a developer. Each update I posted raked me in 30+ thanks and that felt absolutely awesome. You know what would feel awesome-er? If I had actually learned something valuable instead of sitting there being a thanks-whore. When you focus on enabling *all* the settings, and adding *all* the drivers, and making the *biggest* changelogs, you trade experience for limelight. People begin to think you're a genius for all the big fancy words in your changelog and praise your talent when you announce that you were able to copy and paste a file into your kernel source tree and flip a switch, but in reality - you learn nothing about developing. You run into problems you can't fix and requests you can't fulfill, and questions you just can't answer.

My biggest recent project was KCAL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/dev-kcal-advanced-color-control-t3032080

KCAL took a collective 3+ months and hundreds of hours of work reversing and debugging highly vague (or nonexistent) documentation to develop. Had I stuck to being a changelog-whore, I wouldn't have even considered taking on KCAL. I'd still be waiting for some other dude to make it so I could cherry-pick and rake in the thanks.

Here's how many lines that made it into the final release of KCAL for both mdp5 and mdp3: 928
    Here's how many lines it takes to enable a governor: 1

Yes, just one line to enable a governor, and there's absolutely zero development involved, no thought process, and no debugging. I'm not afraid to admit that 90% of the kernels on XDA all follow the 1-liner design. I'll admit that it's way easier than developing something like KCAL, and I used to be that kind of dev, and the reward was much much greater. People donate to you, buy your app, view your thread, and you get popular.

I'm pretty happy with my setup right now, actually. If I trade popularity and thread views/thanks for experience, then I pick up the ability to do what I want with my phone when I want, how I want. If there's an issue with the kernel, or a feature I want in the kernel, I can go at it 100% of the time. If I stick to being a 1-liner dev, then I have to wait for someone else to fix the issue for me, or create the feature, because I'd be spending all day flipping switches or adding compiler flags instead of learning something useful. So if this kernel lacks in features a little bit, it's because I'm busy learning and growing so that I can do great things later down the road, rather than continue doing the same things forever.

Sorry this went a little off the rails in regards to you, but I felt I needed to get that out and it's pretty relevant to how a lot of people view my design philosophy.
    Just posted 20150228 builds, re-synced changes from CM and *finally* released my KCAL driver, also reverted the furnace bootmode for now - KCAL app replaces.

KCAL is advanced color control for all of the latest Qualcomm chipsets, it's been supported by other popular kernels and even integrated into CF.lumen by @Chainfire

View my full write-up and release notes here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/dev-kcal-advanced-color-control-t3032080 - This thread also contains a link to my Color Control app so you can configure the display yourself.

Check out some configurations provided by @wrinklefree here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59092146&postcount=3017
    Configurations by @vomer here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59009298&postcount=4268
    AMOLED-ey configuration by @abhi08638 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58907635&postcount=10776
    20150123 builds are available now, added kexec-hardboot support (thanks @Skin1980) and the latest changes from CM. Seperate builds for d855 16G/32G versions.
    Don't want anyone to think I've abandoned ship here, just been working on some display calibration/control features. Here's a video demonstration:

Post processing types are:
    RGB with PGC (Gamma correction)
    Invert Display with IGC (Individual gamma curves)
    Saturation/Grayscale with PA (Picture adjustment)