• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Kernel] [Google assistant] [All Variants except Asian] Werewolf Kernel

Search This thread

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Hopefully some one sees this.
I decided to give this kernel a chance because everyone seemed to be mentioning it.
I'm running this kernel, v1.0, on my vs995, with the weta ROM. On the dance dance governor.

If I have all my wireless capabilities like, wifi, Bluetooth, data, etc, off. Besides cellular service, screen off, nothing running in the background, and with aggressive dose enabled.
My phone loses 1% every hour or two. Completely on idle.
The only reason this is a "issue" is because on the konverged kernel I could do the listed above and I MIGHT lose 2% for the whole night (8 hours). Sitting here on my computer not touching my phone it's lost 2% percent in two hours.
Any suggestions?

Install BetterBatteryStats and keep an eye on wakelocks. This kernel and your chosen governor may also be keeping the CPUs slightly higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightra88

Jun 23, 2015
Install BetterBatteryStats and keep an eye on wakelocks. This kernel and your chosen governor may also be keeping the CPUs slightly higher.

Thank you. Ill check that app out.
I actually choose this governor after I did some research. It claims that if your minimum frequency setting for the phone is above 245mhz it'll lower and cap the freq to 120mhz while the screen is off, until you wake the device. Dance dance scales with the Conservative govenor laws. So naturally it would already be at the lower frequencies anyway. It's basically a performance version of the Conservative gov.
That's why I choose it. I'm trying to get good battery life with at least decent performance. lol

edit: i actually installed cpu spy and its spending 47% of its time in "deep sleep" and the other 42% of the time its at 307mhz, according to the app and on this particular charge.

Last edited:

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
Thank you. Ill check that app out.
I actually choose this governor after I did some research. It claims that if your minimum frequency setting for the phone is above 245mhz it'll lower and cap the freq to 120mhz while the screen is off, until you wake the device. Dance dance scales with the Conservative govenor laws. So naturally it would already be at the lower frequencies anyway. It's basically a performance version of the Conservative gov.
That's why I choose it. I'm trying to get good battery life with at least decent performance. lol

edit: i actually installed cpu spy and its spending 47% of its time in "deep sleep" and the other 42% of the time its at 307mhz, according to the app and on this particular charge.

At least you are getting 47% of the time in deep sleep. I was getting 0% and it was always idling at 307mhz. I ended up switching back to the NSSR 5.5 kernel and my phone is sleeping like a baby again.

Guess I'll wait to try v1.2 of this kernel and see if anything chnages

nightra88

Jun 23, 2015
At least you are getting 47% of the time in deep sleep. I was getting 0% and it was always idling at 307mhz. I ended up switching back to the NSSR 5.5 kernel and my phone is sleeping like a baby again.

Guess I'll wait to try v1.2 of this kernel and see if anything chnages

Didn't red dragon say he was gonna release 1.2 like 5 days ago? He hasn't posted recently either. Something must have came up. I've been waiting eagerly for the 1.2v of werewolf.
I hate that 1.1 didn't work out. With a lot of users getting a non-touchable display. /:
But you're right, i cant complain to much with all that deep sleep lol
What kinda battery life and SOT are you getting? It's hard to find a good compromise between performance and battery life , well., for me it is lol

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
Didn't red dragon say he was gonna release 1.2 like 5 days ago? He hasn't posted recently either. Something must have came up. I've been waiting eagerly for the 1.2v of werewolf.
I hate that 1.1 didn't work out. With a lot of users getting a non-touchable display. /:
What kinda battery life and SOT are you getting? It's hard to find a good compromise between performance and battery life , well., for me it is lol

With the NSSR 5.5 kernel, I'm getting about 4hrs of SOT with anywhere between 1-2% idle drain/hr. For me, that is pretty good but based on the reviews of v1.0 I thought I could squeeze out more using this kernel.

Unfortunately, I was getting around 7%/hr idle drain with v1.0 and only had about 45min SOT before I was rounding 40% left. I tried changing governors, wiping cache/dalvik (even though those usually don't matter for a kernel swap), and could not detect active app or process keeping the phone awake using multiple tools.

Forced to switched back to my old kernel and instantly back to deep sleep with only 1% drain over the last hour (including ~5min SOT).

USA-RedDragon

Mar 22, 2013
Moore, OK
Many of these are merely kernel configuration tweaks or toolchain swaps, but a number involve modifying kernel code. Is there any way to separate these out?

For instance, commit fa1f5146195733372ed0a4b3b6514965a15d5b89. This is something of a worry to me. Has it been confirmed the Snapdragon 820 hardware does this operation on it's own? (entirely likely, but something I worry about whether it was checked)

Would be nice if you could keep 2 branches. One being really close to the "stock" kernel and one including all the tweaks. Personally, faking out SafetyNet seems almost a necessity, but the extra governors are very optional.
Tagging your releases is helpful for others who are trying to examine what you've done (then need `git push --tags`).

This is very interesting news.

Do you have any idea what solved the static in the first place? Is Qualcomm's driver better able to deal with the way the debug bootloader programs the graphics chip? Does Qualcomm's driver more thoroughly reprogram/reset the graphics chip on startup?

Does Werewolf have the copy-on-write fix?

Hey @emdroidle can you PM me, I'd like your opinions on some things.

USA-RedDragon

Mar 22, 2013
Moore, OK
Is anyone else having deep sleep problems with the kernel? My phone doesn't seem to want to sleep.....it's not showing any wakelocks either or anything obvious as to what is keeping it awake. It just idles at the lowest frequency when the screen is off (tried with both interactive and dance dance governors).

The only change to my setup was this kernel so it's not likely to be some rogue app (again, nothing is shown in BBS or Wakelock detector either).

Kernel auditor also doesn't show any hotplugging options for this kernel which is odd.

Several kernel developers, better than I have started phasing out some hotplugging. As posted on ElementalX's site, "In some recent devices, such as the Nexus 6 and the HTC One m9, there is no hotplugging during normal use. All CPU cores are online"
And if I recall correctly, Google started having all cores on all the time on the Nexus 6 since Lollipop but I can't find the source for research on that

USA-RedDragon

Mar 22, 2013
Moore, OK

Yeah sorry for the delay everyone. I got a new job and I've been busy. I'm off the next two days, and would like to fix a lot of things with the kernel

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
Several kernel developers, better than I have started phasing out some hotplugging. As posted on ElementalX's site, "In some recent devices, such as the Nexus 6 and the HTC One m9, there is no hotplugging during normal use. All CPU cores are online"
And if I recall correctly, Google started having all cores on all the time on the Nexus 6 since Lollipop but I can't find the source for research on that

Thanks, yeah I saw that too. Looks like most kernels now leave it to qualcomm's mpdecision to do. Still couldn't figure out the source of my no-sleep problems so I'll wait until you release the next version and try again.

Would be awesome if you can get WiFi calling for VZW working. One user here claims he made it work with a kernel patch but has not yet released any code.

kcsevo

Jul 5, 2011
Yeah sorry for the delay everyone. I got a new job and I've been busy. I'm off the next two days, and would like to fix a lot of things with the kernel
I don't care how long you take!!!! This kernel is badasss and is worth the wait!!! Thank you for your hard work. As soon as I get paid I will buy you a case of beer. Sometime next week!

imucarmen

May 28, 2012
Thanks for your work man. I've been running your 1.0 version for days on my vs995 on both WETA and now a Lineage based ROM and it works great. I like having my boot animation back because I've been doing a lot of flashing and messing with mods and such so I've been going through a lot of booting.

I look forward to seeing how this kernel develops.

drbveb88

Mar 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
With the NSSR 5.5 kernel, I'm getting about 4hrs of SOT with anywhere between 1-2% idle drain/hr. For me, that is pretty good but based on the reviews of v1.0 I thought I could squeeze out more using this kernel.

Unfortunately, I was getting around 7%/hr idle drain with v1.0 and only had about 45min SOT before I was rounding 40% left. I tried changing governors, wiping cache/dalvik (even though those usually don't matter for a kernel swap), and could not detect active app or process keeping the phone awake using multiple tools.

Forced to switched back to my old kernel and instantly back to deep sleep with only 1% drain over the last hour (including ~5min SOT).
Maybe you have a rogue app or a awake lock.. i got 4 hrs with 10min of screen time before it dropped from 100 to 99. V1.0 slleeps like a baby for me. Im on Weta ROM.
Screenshot_2017-01-26-05-11-25.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-26-05-11-25.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-26-05-11-25.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 479

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my custom kernel for the LG V20. I've spent weeks working on this and making sure it works on both stock and custom roms.

Theoretically all the variants except the ones from Asia will be compatible with this kernel.

What's been tested and verified:
    H910
    H918
    LS997

Sometimes when booting, the screen will glitch out. When it finishes booting, hold your finger over the left too side of the screen where the front camera is until both screens shut off, and the screen will stop glitching out.

Feature List:
    - Enable Google Assistant
    - LZ4 Compression
    - Adreno idler
    - Adrenoboost
    - KCAL
    - Optimizations following KISS(Keep it simple stupid)
    - Built with GNU's GCC 6.3.1
    - SafetyNet bootloader workaround
    - Exfat Support
    - SIO, FIOPS, bfq, cfq, deadline, noop IO scheduler
    - Ondemand, Interactive, Preformance, Conservative, dancedance, darkness, nightmare, powersave govenors
    - bic, cubic, htcp, Reno, Westwood TCP congestion algorithms
    - Various smaller tweaks

Downloads:
    - 1.1-AngryAlbatross

XDA:DevDB Information
    Werewolf Kernel, Kernel for the LG V20

Contributors
    USA-RedDragon
    Source Code: https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/Werewolf-h91x

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1-AngryAlbatross
    Stable Release Date: 2017-01-21

Created 2017-01-20
    Last Updated 2017-01-22

The problem with 1.1 was that I pulled the stock kernel's touchscreen driver. When I compiled stock kernel, the same issue happened, meaning lg probably screwed up the source. I reverted that change along with several others narrowed down by me and my testers and finally have a kernel that seems not to have the issue. I'm going to have us all test for a few hours at most, and if there are no issues, v1.2 will be pushed by 7pm central time
    1.1 Angry Albatross has been released. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862697436
    Notable changes are:
    - Pull LG v10j stock kernel's input drivers
    - Pull Angler(Nexus 6P's charger driver)
    - Added kcal
    - Commonized the device trees, so all but the asian variants will work
    - Add adrenoboost
    - Add adreno idler
    - and Add overclock
    OP Please bring link back, just put disclaimer the fast charging doesn't work for now. Keep up the great work and thanks a lot!!!

It wasn't only fast charging. We're having issues with the touchscreen randomly not responding, and a battery pull is the only fix