[KERNEL][GPL] ezterry A100 kernel (ezT20) 2.6.39.4-ezT20-v1.0.1~ [Aug 12th, 2012]

Search This thread

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Well I'm on stock ota ics 4.0.3. Just your kernel when this happened I was just downloading SD data for n.o.v.a 3. Happened every time the screen timed out. It also happened on a multiple file transfer from internal to SD when I did the dirty swap for more space. Would maybe switching the governor for screen off fix this? To like on demand or interactive. To get a logcat I would need to replicate the problem using adb correct? Never actually did one before. I don't have anything special installed only large files are games. That's pretty much what I use it for along with internet.

Sent from my A100 using XDA

You don't usually want to change the governor for screen off vs screen on, I've seen it cause alot of issues. If you must create a screen off profile, leave the governor the same as your normal governor. Some you can do it with, but its hit and miss, easier to just leave it alone.

h3r3tic

Mar 12, 2012
Ya I use it on my galaxy note but a sleep profile isn't really necessary on my tablet. My stock governor is interactive. How different is it from lulz governor. Performance wise they both seem identically fast. Is it more a term for battery settings? Like is there a breakdown of settings on the lulz governor like threshold n sampling rates?

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Ya I use it on my galaxy note but a sleep profile isn't really necessary on my tablet. My stock governor is interactive. How different is it from lulz governor. Performance wise they both seem identically fast. Is it more a term for battery settings? Like is there a breakdown of settings on the lulz governor like threshold n sampling rates?

There is no absolute answer to your question:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27282390&postcount=11
will give some outline short of the link to the code

Usually I find my implementation of lulz provides slightly higher scores (almost the same as performance) in quadrant tests, meaning when there is load it is very fast to ramp up the processor speed, while providing a much more balanced use of the in between frequencies than interactive.

As for the tunables.. look before asking. (The "governor" tab in set CPU will provide an idea, or the app mentioned in the op for tuning lulzactive [actually I don't really use that app but it makes what the some of the settings are more clear])

Still if you have profiles disabled you ought not be experiencing such slowdowns regardless unless the governor crashed, or got stuck in the wrong state, a dmesg will show such results.

h3r3tic

Mar 12, 2012
Well I been using system tuner for all my needs had set CPU when i first got my phone but after I found system tuner never went back. After flashing cm9 from the a500 section I flashed back to ez1.00 and haven't had any issues just straight using lulzactive so maybe it was just a certain case it happened on stock ics or I might of had on demand set low mhz for sleep profile. I don't remember but I'm running good now very good work was getting 2800 in quadrant and 6800 in antutu. Thats almost on par with my galaxy note so I'm more then happy now. Max Payne and gta3 run smoother on my tab then my note at higher settings and all because of that extra 500 MHz boost. Good work if i didn't lose my job last week I would be sending a donation right away. Keep it up my friend.

pachezPRO

Apr 28, 2012
Nice kernel! I have set CPU and set up a screen off conservative profile, I only run it at 1500 when It is plugged in and I have no complaints on my battery life. (while my Acer is running flawlessly that is!) Thanks for your work!

Sent from my A100 using xda app-developers app

siris420

Oct 6, 2010
How would somone go about writing an init.d script to undervolt this awesome kernel. I have experince with single core phones but this is my first dualcore device. So I'm not 100% on the voltage table locations.

Rookie407

Dec 7, 2011
Clinton
I've been driving for android for some time now in my free time (which isn't that much time) I know quit a lot about (phone) roms (not so much tablets as this is ny first) but not that much about kernels. I'm sure you've answered this question already but I thought I would ask anyway instead of scrolling though page after page to find the answer... what are the BEST I/o and voltage settings to get the most out of this device?

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I've been driving for android for some time now in my free time (which isn't that much time) I know quit a lot about (phone) roms (not so much tablets as this is ny first) but not that much about kernels. I'm sure you've answered this question already but I thought I would ask anyway instead of scrolling though page after page to find the answer... what are the BEST I/o and voltage settings to get the most out of this device?

Tablets and phones are the same minus screen size and radios, the same general rules apply. IMO deadline is the better io scheduler, but I can't recall if ezT20 has this or not. Under voting on mine locks up lower then -145 but your device may take more or less. This is covered in the a100 guide in my signature, namely how to find your sweet spot in UV and OC. This kernel is also designed to run lulzactive governor instead of interactive.

Tapatalked from my A100 - CM10 PM Build 4

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
Tablets and phones are the same minus screen size and radios, the same general rules apply. IMO deadline is the better io scheduler, but I can't recall if ezT20 has this or not. Under voting on mine locks up lower then -145 but your device may take more or less. This is covered in the a100 guide in my signature, namely how to find your sweet spot in UV and OC. This kernel is also designed to run lulzactive governor instead of interactive.

EzT kernel has only bfq schedule, i am currently working on new updated kernel that has more IO schedulers and going to also test BFS process scheduling as well as a kernel with cgroup auto group enabled. You may have already been aware of what I'm working on for the a100 kernel, but here is some info for those who are still using the June kernel build from ezterry and looking forward to something with more options and tuned particularly for jelly bean

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Reactions: Deshabilitado

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Don't forget about noop.

I run bfq, lulzactive, -125mv on all voltages except the last 3, they only allow -100,75, and 50mv.

It does it just doesn't show, he mentioned that before. I think. Again its been some time since I've run it.

Edit: I left out noop since that's standard for Acer kernels, so they all offer it.

Edit again, I hadn't seen linuxsociety's post. Don't forget to mention that its being built with tiny hal to get along with CM as way down south implemented it awhile back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Romman0

siris420

Oct 6, 2010
It does it just doesn't show, he mentioned that before. I think. Again its been some time since I've run it.

Edit: I left out noop since that's standard for Acer kernels, so they all offer it.

Edit again, I hadn't seen linuxsociety's post. Don't forget to mention that its being built with tiny hal to get along with CM as way down south implemented it awhile back.

Are you guys useing an app to undervolt? Or are yyou changing the voltage tables with scripts?

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
v1.0.1 update

Small update, mostly to include the a501 code drop for the a501 users (on the a500 version)
However with this codedrop a101 may also now work with 3g (let me know)

Please let me know if therre are any issues with the distributed file as this has not yet been tested by actual a100 users. (Edit: it must boot as there have been quite a number of downloads and no complaints)

Last a small audio patch was added to allow better CM support, by default this kernel behaves as the acer stock kernel, however if you have CM9 or CM10 previews installed and version 1.0.1 of this kernel you can also install the patch ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269 to cause the kernel to behave as the "stock CM" kernel will

As always this kernel boot at 1.0GHz, you can use the built in performance controls to OC in CM.. UV requires additional rooted software.

If you are confused..

I have the a500 CM10 preview3 install instructions on this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30125468&postcount=76

it ought to be the same for the a100 once you switch to the a100 preview and the a100 ezT20 kernel.

Last edited:

jmckeejr

• Aug 11, 2008
    Altoona, Pa
    www.mckeeflooring.com
    Can someone tell me how to revert back to stock kernel? I have issue gallery says "no external memory available", and I need to reverse some stuff till I find solution. This was latest mod I did, so figured to start there and work back. Is stock kernel available somewhere or can I uninstall this somehow? Thanks.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
    Surprise, Az
    Can someone tell me how to revert back to stock kernel? I have issue gallery says "no external memory available", and I need to reverse some stuff till I find solution. This was latest mod I did, so figured to start there and work back. Is stock kernel available somewhere or can I uninstall this somehow? Thanks.

Revert your mount swap mod, its not the kernel.

As for getting it back, it depends on the ROM used and if you backed up like you should. If you did, advanced restore system and boot. If not, flash the ROM over top if its NOT a stock ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jmckeejr

• Aug 11, 2008
    Altoona, Pa
    www.mckeeflooring.com
    Thanks, I cheated a bit and installed Gallery ICS app from market and set to open by default. It works great so far. I have posted similar question in swap thread so maybe someone else has come across same issue. I can deal with it for now, wouldn't want to lose the extra space. I made nandroid backup prior to installing kernel, but I need to do some research before I restore it. Does that backup all user data and settings?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      ~~~~~ Latest release
      A100 - V1.0.0 (first stable release)[Size=+1]
      ezT20-v1.0.1-a100_S.zip
      MD5: d4febaf119f618afda9c749da4615445
      [/SIZE]​

**Please remove all undervolting and overclocking before installing, as different kernels will use the CPU differently, This may require you thus to change the OC/UV levels to be stable with this kernel.

While plenty of work has gone into ensuring this kernel was fit for use: I take no responsibility for any problem the use of this kernel may cause, and/or loss of data if you fail to backup your data before installing it. Proceed at your own risk

A100 Installation:: simply flash the zip from recovery, this will extract and replace the zImage (linux kernel) from your current rom; and leave your existing ramdisk unchanged.

A101 Installation: : Experimental support only (this may or may not work): Your ICS rom requires to load the new simdetect_switch.ko module on boot, if your rom dose not have support for this, but has support for init.d scripts please first install the patchkit ezT20_a501_patchkit_S.zip MD5: 617f558555c13d215103cd3669d3c009, (This kit only includes the init.d script to load the simdetect_switch module if it exists, and doesn’t include the actual kernel or modules; Note its labeled for the A501, however ought to work as is on the A101)

After the patch kit is installed (or if it has been previously installed/is part of your rom) you can flash the a100 zip above to install the kernel + related modules.

Let me know if this works out

CM (9 and 10) installation Install per your device above, then install the audio patch init.d scripif you have audio problems: ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip MD5: 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269

Are you an A500 user? you are in the wrong place see here

~~~~~ Kernel Features

- BFQ IO scheduler (details here)
      (BFQ is now the default scheduler, previously was noop)
      - Lulzactive CPU governor (by tegrak with a500 modifications by myself)
      (Interactive will be the default governor for most roms, as defined on the ramdisk)
      - Max OC speed: 1504MHz (default 1000MHz)
      - Min OC speed: 216MHz (default 216MHz)
      - Fixed voltage tables to allow OC on devices previously unable to on A500-OCTestV3 and A100-OCTestV1
      - initial 3g support thanks to patches from Vash (v1.0.0 - a501) .. switched to acer's code in v1.0.1 (a501/a101)
      - ability to disable acer audio settings (v1.0.1)

~~~~~ Kernel Notes/Warnings

** A specialized lulzactive configuration program can be found at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS50ZWdyYWsubHVsemFjdGl2ZSJd
      (note setCPU will also let you change the values, I only mention tegrak's app as it may make it easier to understand what is being changed)

** The kernel ought to work in place of the stock ICS kernel, roms requiring special kernels may not function with this kernel

** de-odexed roms may have graphical artifacts that are made more serious by this kernel, civato and I have been working on a build.prop tweak to re-generate odex like dex files on de-odexed roms to solve this

** Voltage display may not be accurate (a rework of the UV logic is planned) note UV offsets are accurate.

(for a quadrant sample on the a500 see the related post

~~~~~ Kernel History

This kernel is the continuation of the Overclocked Test kernel, originally posted for the A500 here and subsequently for the A100 here

~~~~~ Credits

Thanks to:
      * richardtrip - original OC and MIN/MAX code
      * tegrak - for lulzactive
      * civato - for being a willing advanced tester
      * Bobg1231, Metallkasten, pio_masaki, Moscow Desire - additional testers
      * Vash - A501 3g modem patch set
      * Acer/NVidia for providing the source to our devices
      * The countless number of people that have created the linux kernel in the form it is today

~~~~~ Built list w/ source links

~~~~~ Change Log

v1.0.1
      *) Import of acer's 3g code [A101 and A501]
      *) audio updates to better work with CM roms when cm audio patch is applied ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip MD5: 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269
      *) Allow lower min-voltage

v1.0.0
      *) cleanup graphics logic with more patches from the nvidia tegra test kernel (and other patches to prevent the graphic under-runs causing screen flashes on some roms) [applies to all devices]
      *) modify lulzactive (yet again) to attempt to stem a rare deadlock .. frequently resulting in a SoD overnight on my tab (probably not most peoples constant SoD problem) [applies to all devices]
      *) Add Acer A501 patches for 3g modem [applies to A501]
      *) fix some touch events on the A50X caused by the a100 patch set rolling back the a500 touch driver, the touch drivers are separate so this ought not impact the a100 [a50x only]

v0.9.9
      Initial release, providing some bugfixes and new features to the previous OCTestV3

~~~~~ Developers Corner

The building instructions for this kernel are identical to the ones for the A500, except that instead of using picasso_defconfig you use vangogh_defconfig (from the same codebase and same commits)

Therefor rather than copying the instructions here, and attempting to keep them in sync I recommend you review the original "Developer Corner" post in the A500 thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27241693&postcount=2
      v1.0.1 update

Small update, mostly to include the a501 code drop for the a501 users (on the a500 version)
      However with this codedrop a101 may also now work with 3g (let me know)

Please let me know if therre are any issues with the distributed file as this has not yet been tested by actual a100 users. (Edit: it must boot as there have been quite a number of downloads and no complaints)

Last a small audio patch was added to allow better CM support, by default this kernel behaves as the acer stock kernel, however if you have CM9 or CM10 previews installed and version 1.0.1 of this kernel you can also install the patch ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269 to cause the kernel to behave as the "stock CM" kernel will

As always this kernel boot at 1.0GHz, you can use the built in performance controls to OC in CM.. UV requires additional rooted software.

If you are confused..

I have the a500 CM10 preview3 install instructions on this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30125468&postcount=76

it ought to be the same for the a100 once you switch to the a100 preview and the a100 ezT20 kernel.
      v1.0.0

Version 1.0.0 is out See OP for the download and source links

This version improves stability on the A100/500 systems, plus adds experimental support for the A501 devices. (the a501 information is in the a500 version of the kernel/thread, a100 users ought not be impacted by these changes)
      Great work ! ! !

Anychance you could look at getting touch to wake with your kernel ?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA

I saw some patches (noted you mention it before) looks interesting but requires some work for our device.

May be trivial but requires a hook added to our touchscreens not just the ones from whatever device I grab the source from .. hopefully I will figure it out in the future.. there are still one or two things such as the UV logic I wish to cleanup first.

EzT kernel has only bfq schedule, i am currently working on new updated kernel that has more IO schedulers and going to also test BFS process scheduling as well as a kernel with cgroup auto group enabled. You may have already been aware of what I'm working on for the a100 kernel, but here is some info for those who are still using the June kernel build from ezterry and looking forward to something with more options and tuned particularly for jelly bean

Sent from my A500 using xda premium