[KERNEL][GPL] ezterry A100 kernel (ezT20) 2.6.39.4-ezT20-v1.0.1~ [Aug 12th, 2012]

Search This thread

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
~~~~~ Latest release
A100 - V1.0.0 (first stable release)[Size=+1]
ezT20-v1.0.1-a100_S.zip
MD5: d4febaf119f618afda9c749da4615445
[/SIZE]​

**Please remove all undervolting and overclocking before installing, as different kernels will use the CPU differently, This may require you thus to change the OC/UV levels to be stable with this kernel.

While plenty of work has gone into ensuring this kernel was fit for use: I take no responsibility for any problem the use of this kernel may cause, and/or loss of data if you fail to backup your data before installing it. Proceed at your own risk

A100 Installation:: simply flash the zip from recovery, this will extract and replace the zImage (linux kernel) from your current rom; and leave your existing ramdisk unchanged.

A101 Installation: : Experimental support only (this may or may not work): Your ICS rom requires to load the new simdetect_switch.ko module on boot, if your rom dose not have support for this, but has support for init.d scripts please first install the patchkit ezT20_a501_patchkit_S.zip MD5: 617f558555c13d215103cd3669d3c009, (This kit only includes the init.d script to load the simdetect_switch module if it exists, and doesn’t include the actual kernel or modules; Note its labeled for the A501, however ought to work as is on the A101)

After the patch kit is installed (or if it has been previously installed/is part of your rom) you can flash the a100 zip above to install the kernel + related modules.

Let me know if this works out

CM (9 and 10) installation Install per your device above, then install the audio patch init.d scripif you have audio problems: ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip MD5: 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269

Are you an A500 user? you are in the wrong place see here

~~~~~ Kernel Features

- BFQ IO scheduler (details here)
(BFQ is now the default scheduler, previously was noop)
- Lulzactive CPU governor (by tegrak with a500 modifications by myself)
(Interactive will be the default governor for most roms, as defined on the ramdisk)
- Max OC speed: 1504MHz (default 1000MHz)
- Min OC speed: 216MHz (default 216MHz)
- Fixed voltage tables to allow OC on devices previously unable to on A500-OCTestV3 and A100-OCTestV1
- initial 3g support thanks to patches from Vash (v1.0.0 - a501) .. switched to acer's code in v1.0.1 (a501/a101)
- ability to disable acer audio settings (v1.0.1)

~~~~~ Kernel Notes/Warnings

** A specialized lulzactive configuration program can be found at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS50ZWdyYWsubHVsemFjdGl2ZSJd
(note setCPU will also let you change the values, I only mention tegrak's app as it may make it easier to understand what is being changed)

** The kernel ought to work in place of the stock ICS kernel, roms requiring special kernels may not function with this kernel

** de-odexed roms may have graphical artifacts that are made more serious by this kernel, civato and I have been working on a build.prop tweak to re-generate odex like dex files on de-odexed roms to solve this

** Voltage display may not be accurate (a rework of the UV logic is planned) note UV offsets are accurate.

(for a quadrant sample on the a500 see the related post

~~~~~ Kernel History

This kernel is the continuation of the Overclocked Test kernel, originally posted for the A500 here and subsequently for the A100 here

~~~~~ Credits

Thanks to:
* richardtrip - original OC and MIN/MAX code
* tegrak - for lulzactive
* civato - for being a willing advanced tester
* Bobg1231, Metallkasten, pio_masaki, Moscow Desire - additional testers
* Vash - A501 3g modem patch set
* Acer/NVidia for providing the source to our devices
* The countless number of people that have created the linux kernel in the form it is today

~~~~~ Built list w/ source links

~~~~~ Change Log

v1.0.1
*) Import of acer's 3g code [A101 and A501]
*) audio updates to better work with CM roms when cm audio patch is applied ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip MD5: 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269
*) Allow lower min-voltage

v1.0.0
*) cleanup graphics logic with more patches from the nvidia tegra test kernel (and other patches to prevent the graphic under-runs causing screen flashes on some roms) [applies to all devices]
*) modify lulzactive (yet again) to attempt to stem a rare deadlock .. frequently resulting in a SoD overnight on my tab (probably not most peoples constant SoD problem) [applies to all devices]
*) Add Acer A501 patches for 3g modem [applies to A501]
*) fix some touch events on the A50X caused by the a100 patch set rolling back the a500 touch driver, the touch drivers are separate so this ought not impact the a100 [a50x only]

v0.9.9
Initial release, providing some bugfixes and new features to the previous OCTestV3

~~~~~ Developers Corner

The building instructions for this kernel are identical to the ones for the A500, except that instead of using picasso_defconfig you use vangogh_defconfig (from the same codebase and same commits)

Therefor rather than copying the instructions here, and attempting to keep them in sync I recommend you review the original "Developer Corner" post in the A500 thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27241693&postcount=2

Last edited:

maek_it_happen

Sep 2, 2009
Great work ! ! !

Anychance you could look at getting touch to wake with your kernel ?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Great work ! ! !

I saw some patches (noted you mention it before) looks interesting but requires some work for our device.

May be trivial but requires a hook added to our touchscreens not just the ones from whatever device I grab the source from .. hopefully I will figure it out in the future.. there are still one or two things such as the UV logic I wish to cleanup first.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Wow! Are you sure is BFQ governor is stable? maybe SIO?

Given many have been using it on android now for a long time (kernels started using it as the default on the htc dream in cupcake days) not to mention its following of other linux usrers and the patch sets are well maintained..

Yes its stable.. more than deadline on our kernel anyway (also in the codebase but not in the build, got tired fast of the random reboots).

But if you rather noop its still included. Its horrible however when multiple apps access flash.

SIO is described as being bad timings on flash and a combo of noop and deadline.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Wow! Are you sure is BFQ governor is stable? maybe SIO?

When I was testing bfq seemed stable and benchmarks just as fast as noop. Keep in mind it was a test kernel so it was an earlier version so I would imagine it would do fine. I ran into no IO related issues during testing. Tested on my A100.

Oh here, lulzactive, BFQ 1.5ghz -145 UV all the way. Not my best, not my worst.
46a2cf0a-68c1-3ae7.jpg

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

Last edited:

maek_it_happen

Sep 2, 2009
I saw some patches (noted you mention it before) looks interesting but requires some work for our device.

May be trivial but requires a hook added to our touchscreens not just the ones from whatever device I grab the source from .. hopefully I will figure it out in the future.. there are still one or two things such as the UV logic I wish to cleanup first.

Thanks for looking into it ?

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
I'm running v0.9.9 with CM9 at 1504 mhz. No issues in over a week of use.

Sent from my Acer A100 running CM9 using XDA Premium.

I've (on the a500 build) have found some SoD on the lulzactive governor and we have found issues with some roms but the new test version seems much more stable.. so hopefully Monday will see v1.0!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I've (on the a500 build) have found some SoD on the lulzactive governor and we have found issues with some roms but the new test version seems much more stable.. so hopefully Monday will see v1.0!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I can report no SoD dispite trying. I left wifi on and keep awake off and left it charging for 16 hours. Fired up like normal. For those wondering....for me I find leaving wifi on always and leaving it charging can cause it on other devices.

My wife ran it her way as well, no issues. You kinda have 2 testers at this house lol.

No freeze, reboot, crashes or force close in normal usage and heavy usage. A100 at least shows its probably ready for release into the wild.

h3r3tic

Mar 12, 2012
How many of you play stressful games while being over clocked? I just picked up this tab yesterday updated to ics rooted n noticed n64oid was a little laggy. After installing this kernel bumping up to 1400 eliminated all lag. I just wanna know if I should worry being I play lots of games on here.

Sent from my A100 using XDA

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
How many of you play stressful games while being over clocked? I just picked up this tab yesterday updated to ics rooted n noticed n64oid was a little laggy. After installing this kernel bumping up to 1400 eliminated all lag. I just wanna know if I should worry being I play lots of games on here.

Rolls fine at 1.5 for me. Heats up a little under stress and battery will be gone in a couple hours, otherwise seems fine.

h3r3tic

Mar 12, 2012
Already had a few times where when my screen times out by itself it takes me almost 3-4 mins to get it to come back on. Is this the governor issue? I was using lulz. At 1.5. I didn't noticed if this happened on v.99. I switched to interactive to see if it persists.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Already had a few times where when my screen times out by itself it takes me almost 3-4 mins to get it to come back on. Is this the governor issue? I was using lulz. At 1.5. I didn't noticed if this happened on v.99. I switched to interactive to see if it persists.

I've never seen that on v1.0, nor heard reports of it till now: on previous versions 0.9.9 and the testing versions I have seen such things when the system became busy, and became stuck at min frequency.

Avoid screen off profiles, lulzactive automatically reduces speed to the 816MHz when the screen is off (assuming that is less than max) lower than that background tasks may take additional unexpected time and delay the device from full sleep where the cpu turns off.

Otherwise what rom are you using, any large apps running, logcat? dmesg? (logcat will tell us if its something installed, dmesg will show what the kernel did.

h3r3tic

Mar 12, 2012
Well I'm on stock ota ics 4.0.3. Just your kernel when this happened I was just downloading SD data for n.o.v.a 3. Happened every time the screen timed out. It also happened on a multiple file transfer from internal to SD when I did the dirty swap for more space. Would maybe switching the governor for screen off fix this? To like on demand or interactive. To get a logcat I would need to replicate the problem using adb correct? Never actually did one before. I don't have anything special installed only large files are games. That's pretty much what I use it for along with internet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ~~~~~ Latest release
    A100 - V1.0.0 (first stable release)[Size=+1]
    ezT20-v1.0.1-a100_S.zip
    MD5: d4febaf119f618afda9c749da4615445
    [/SIZE]​

**Please remove all undervolting and overclocking before installing, as different kernels will use the CPU differently, This may require you thus to change the OC/UV levels to be stable with this kernel.

While plenty of work has gone into ensuring this kernel was fit for use: I take no responsibility for any problem the use of this kernel may cause, and/or loss of data if you fail to backup your data before installing it. Proceed at your own risk

A100 Installation:: simply flash the zip from recovery, this will extract and replace the zImage (linux kernel) from your current rom; and leave your existing ramdisk unchanged.

A101 Installation: : Experimental support only (this may or may not work): Your ICS rom requires to load the new simdetect_switch.ko module on boot, if your rom dose not have support for this, but has support for init.d scripts please first install the patchkit ezT20_a501_patchkit_S.zip MD5: 617f558555c13d215103cd3669d3c009, (This kit only includes the init.d script to load the simdetect_switch module if it exists, and doesn’t include the actual kernel or modules; Note its labeled for the A501, however ought to work as is on the A101)

After the patch kit is installed (or if it has been previously installed/is part of your rom) you can flash the a100 zip above to install the kernel + related modules.

Let me know if this works out

CM (9 and 10) installation Install per your device above, then install the audio patch init.d scripif you have audio problems: ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip MD5: 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269

Are you an A500 user? you are in the wrong place see here

~~~~~ Kernel Features

- BFQ IO scheduler (details here)
    (BFQ is now the default scheduler, previously was noop)
    - Lulzactive CPU governor (by tegrak with a500 modifications by myself)
    (Interactive will be the default governor for most roms, as defined on the ramdisk)
    - Max OC speed: 1504MHz (default 1000MHz)
    - Min OC speed: 216MHz (default 216MHz)
    - Fixed voltage tables to allow OC on devices previously unable to on A500-OCTestV3 and A100-OCTestV1
    - initial 3g support thanks to patches from Vash (v1.0.0 - a501) .. switched to acer's code in v1.0.1 (a501/a101)
    - ability to disable acer audio settings (v1.0.1)

~~~~~ Kernel Notes/Warnings

** A specialized lulzactive configuration program can be found at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS50ZWdyYWsubHVsemFjdGl2ZSJd
    (note setCPU will also let you change the values, I only mention tegrak's app as it may make it easier to understand what is being changed)

** The kernel ought to work in place of the stock ICS kernel, roms requiring special kernels may not function with this kernel

** de-odexed roms may have graphical artifacts that are made more serious by this kernel, civato and I have been working on a build.prop tweak to re-generate odex like dex files on de-odexed roms to solve this

** Voltage display may not be accurate (a rework of the UV logic is planned) note UV offsets are accurate.

(for a quadrant sample on the a500 see the related post

~~~~~ Kernel History

This kernel is the continuation of the Overclocked Test kernel, originally posted for the A500 here and subsequently for the A100 here

~~~~~ Credits

Thanks to:
    * richardtrip - original OC and MIN/MAX code
    * tegrak - for lulzactive
    * civato - for being a willing advanced tester
    * Bobg1231, Metallkasten, pio_masaki, Moscow Desire - additional testers
    * Vash - A501 3g modem patch set
    * Acer/NVidia for providing the source to our devices
    * The countless number of people that have created the linux kernel in the form it is today

~~~~~ Built list w/ source links

~~~~~ Change Log

v1.0.1
    *) Import of acer's 3g code [A101 and A501]
    *) audio updates to better work with CM roms when cm audio patch is applied ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip MD5: 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269
    *) Allow lower min-voltage

v1.0.0
    *) cleanup graphics logic with more patches from the nvidia tegra test kernel (and other patches to prevent the graphic under-runs causing screen flashes on some roms) [applies to all devices]
    *) modify lulzactive (yet again) to attempt to stem a rare deadlock .. frequently resulting in a SoD overnight on my tab (probably not most peoples constant SoD problem) [applies to all devices]
    *) Add Acer A501 patches for 3g modem [applies to A501]
    *) fix some touch events on the A50X caused by the a100 patch set rolling back the a500 touch driver, the touch drivers are separate so this ought not impact the a100 [a50x only]

v0.9.9
    Initial release, providing some bugfixes and new features to the previous OCTestV3

~~~~~ Developers Corner

The building instructions for this kernel are identical to the ones for the A500, except that instead of using picasso_defconfig you use vangogh_defconfig (from the same codebase and same commits)

Therefor rather than copying the instructions here, and attempting to keep them in sync I recommend you review the original "Developer Corner" post in the A500 thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27241693&postcount=2
    v1.0.1 update

Small update, mostly to include the a501 code drop for the a501 users (on the a500 version)
    However with this codedrop a101 may also now work with 3g (let me know)

Please let me know if therre are any issues with the distributed file as this has not yet been tested by actual a100 users. (Edit: it must boot as there have been quite a number of downloads and no complaints)

Last a small audio patch was added to allow better CM support, by default this kernel behaves as the acer stock kernel, however if you have CM9 or CM10 previews installed and version 1.0.1 of this kernel you can also install the patch ezT20cmaudio_patch_S.zip 26251900115b0ca433f26f4d95e7f269 to cause the kernel to behave as the "stock CM" kernel will

As always this kernel boot at 1.0GHz, you can use the built in performance controls to OC in CM.. UV requires additional rooted software.

If you are confused..

I have the a500 CM10 preview3 install instructions on this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30125468&postcount=76

it ought to be the same for the a100 once you switch to the a100 preview and the a100 ezT20 kernel.
    v1.0.0

Version 1.0.0 is out See OP for the download and source links

This version improves stability on the A100/500 systems, plus adds experimental support for the A501 devices. (the a501 information is in the a500 version of the kernel/thread, a100 users ought not be impacted by these changes)
    Great work ! ! !

Tablets and phones are the same minus screen size and radios, the same general rules apply. IMO deadline is the better io scheduler, but I can't recall if ezT20 has this or not. Under voting on mine locks up lower then -145 but your device may take more or less. This is covered in the a100 guide in my signature, namely how to find your sweet spot in UV and OC. This kernel is also designed to run lulzactive governor instead of interactive.

Tapatalked from my A100 - CM10 PM Build 4

EzT kernel has only bfq schedule, i am currently working on new updated kernel that has more IO schedulers and going to also test BFS process scheduling as well as a kernel with cgroup auto group enabled. You may have already been aware of what I'm working on for the a100 kernel, but here is some info for those who are still using the June kernel build from ezterry and looking forward to something with more options and tuned particularly for jelly bean

Sent from my A500 using xda premium