• If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.
  • Nearly there! Migration cleanup is mostly done. There are about 6k posts left to import, a few forum redirects to make, and minor details. All the heavy lifting is done. Would love to hear feedback over at this thread!

[KERNEL][GPL][N7]franco.Kernel - r82

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][N7][21 JAN] franco.Kernel - r40

That is the one and only issue I currently have with the kernel as well. Whenever I try to download torrents the tab will freeze up. No biggy tho, I usually switch to lean kernel real quick to download it, then back to franco
Try switching to CFQ when downloading.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010

Im not exactly thrilled with the lp core on the mobile. Its a nice concept and theory, but with arm already being so efficient especially when it comes to hotpluging the extra 3 cores and dynamic frequency scaling.

My tests i did with battery monitor widget id love some other people to try to recreate them., the lp core just doesnt sleep as well, talking ~10x more power use with a deep sleep, ~3x more plain sleeping. You gotta remember that 3 cores hotplug themselves off when the N7 idles and doesnt need them, while the 3rd scales down to 100mhz.

Imo the lp core might be better used in a server environment for a machine thats not constantly under load in partnership with a high performance cpu, one thats not designed to scale efficiently. Might save a good bit of money depending on the use or.

What would really help the battery life is getting one of those hats with an umbrella on top, make the umbrella out of solar power cells and walk around looking cool like that.
For one thing current readings are broken in MKernel if that's what youre using. Like completely broken. Need to fix it.

Second, how can you monitor current draw during deep sleep using an app? That just seems impossible to do without having the CPU active.

Edit: or maybe it is working... 475MHz at homescreen -600ish, 340MHz -300ish.
Not that these results are worth crap or mean anything anyway.

Edit2: I guess it can do deep sleep current. How does it do that without waking the CPU? No clue. Maybe calculating using before and after and time.

-6mA on mkernel with wifi on. Also it shouldn't change with LP/noLP because the cpus should be off/in low power states.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

blipp

May 3, 2012
Milltown, NJ
First off, sorry for not getting a last_ksmg, but something happened that prevented it.

My N7 was at 16% battery and i was about to plug it in. I woke it up, then i guess right when it ticked down to 15%, it just lost the rest of its charge, went to 0% and shut off. I plugged it in, it booted up, then like a minute later the screen turned off and now all i see is, the best way i can describe it, is a static effect. I can see the backlight on, but it wont boot (at least if it is the screen isnt changing) and when i unplug it it goes black, probably since it has no charge.

Im not entirely sure this is a kernel issue, but i was on stock 4.2.1 and the only different thing i had was this kernel.

Again, sorry about no log, i know theres probably nothing to do without it.

Im going to see if i can flash back to complete stock and see if it gets fixed.

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
First off, sorry for not getting a last_ksmg, but something happened that prevented it.

My N7 was at 16% battery and i was about to plug it in. I woke it up, then i guess right when it ticked down to 15%, it just lost the rest of its charge, went to 0% and shut off. I plugged it in, it booted up, then like a minute later the screen turned off and now all i see is, the best way i can describe it, is a static effect. I can see the backlight on, but it wont boot (at least if it is the screen isnt changing) and when i unplug it it goes black, probably since it has no charge.

Im not entirely sure this is a kernel issue, but i was on stock 4.2.1 and the only different thing i had was this kernel.

Again, sorry about no log, i know theres probably nothing to do without it.

Im going to see if i can flash back to complete stock and see if it gets fixed.
That's just a dead battery. JB4.2.x brought issues with charging the N7 from dead. That "static" effect is what's known as a "pixel party" ;)

Here's the related fix for charging it if you haven't gotten that far yet: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/

Last edited:

blipp

May 3, 2012
Milltown, NJ
That's just a dead battery. JB4.2.x brought issues with charging from dead. That "static" effect is what's known as a "pixel party" ;)

Here's the related fix for charging it if you haven't gotten that far yet: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/
I knew it had problems when it discharged completely, the thing that just worried me was the instant jump from working fine with 16% battery to a dead battery. I never let it get that low, i usually charge at around 20%, sometimes sooner than that.

Im trying that trick, but the bootloader screen isnt even showing up. I had it plugged in to my computer waiting for the factory image to download, holding down the power button now and then and it just booted up, but since it wasnt getting enough power it just shut off again and wont show anything on the screen again. :/

Ill try and see if i can get it to boot again, thanks. Sorry for the off topic then.

Edit: ok, finally got into the bootloader and did the trick and now have the charging screen. Never letting it drop below 20% again, that's for sure! :) back to kernel stuff!

Last edited:

drose6102

Oct 27, 2010

I knew it had problems when it discharged completely, the thing that just worried me was the instant jump from working fine with 16% battery to a dead battery. I never let it get that low, i usually charge at around 20%, sometimes sooner than that.

Im trying that trick, but the bootloader screen isnt even showing up. I had it plugged in to my computer waiting for the factory image to download, holding down the power button now and then and it just booted up, but since it wasnt getting enough power it just shut off again and wont show anything on the screen again. :/

Ill try and see if i can get it to boot again, thanks. Sorry for the off topic then.

Edit: ok, finally got into the bootloader and did the trick and now have the charging screen. Never letting it drop below 20% again, that's for sure! :) back to kernel stuff!
I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago before the figured out a fix. I freaked out and thought having fsync off and it dying corrupted something and I flashed the factory image. Wiped the internal memory by accident too, I was not a happy camper. Learned my lesson, well some what, I usually charge it at 10% and leave fsync on. Good to hear you faired better :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bjcrj

Sep 25, 2012

Man, this latest build is fast. Like night and day compared to r39.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
What he said:thumbup:

Big thanks to everyone for testing all the variables and to Franco for listening. Great community and great dev makes for a great kernel!

djdunn

Apr 24, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the excellent info! That makes a lot of sense, however from experience I've had system settings get corrupted and reset to defaults from a freeze and crash with fsync off, so it's not all tinfoiled hocus pocus.

We had a few less-than-stable builds near the beginning of franco's JB4.2 branch, so that's where I get my experiences with the slowdown freeze crash and data loss. That and forgetting to turn fsync on while I was undervolting my GN (so, frequent freezes). What you lose depends on what's in the process of being written I'd imagine. I lost all system settings and the data from a couple games I was just playing. Seems when Android discovers there's a problem it just wipes whatever is corrupt.
Depends really when the write process gets interrupted. If it gets interupted before it gets passed to the ext4's journal when the system comes back online its just not there cause it never make the transition from ram to flash memory. If it made it to ext4's journal correctly fsck can be run to replay the journal and fix any missing/corrupt files that are in the journal, remember the journal is not a backup and cannot recover the entire partition. But fsck might be able to repair the files still but it will move them to /.lost-and-found on the root of the filesystem.

Loosing recently changed settings sounds normal for this sort of thing. It really depends on what step of the write process and what kind of lockup or kernel panic occurs to say exactly how a file breaks. But you run the same risk with fsync on too and would be possible to say if fsync would have been able to prevent the damage as fsync is only a workaround, i dont wanc to say fix because it works as intended, but its only a work around for only 1 step of a multiple step process

Wynnded

Apr 18, 2009
Rockies
Depends really when the write process gets interrupted. If it gets interupted before it gets passed to the ext4's journal when the system comes back online its just not there cause it never make the transition from ram to flash memory. If it made it to ext4's journal correctly fsck can be run to replay the journal and fix any missing/corrupt files that are in the journal, remember the journal is not a backup and cannot recover the entire partition. But fsck might be able to repair the files still but it will move them to /.lost-and-found on the root of the filesystem.
Geezus, no wonder I'm not a dev, that really made my head spin...:eek:

djdunn

Apr 24, 2011
Pittsburgh
I cant tell much, mkernel does sleep eventually at -6mAh same as franco but it idles higher with screen on by -60mAh at 330 compared to francos at -260ish

Mkernel definitly goes to deep sleep without a magnet, francos seems to not. But imo with the data im seeing so far francos is better on the battery life, but mkernels overclocked too

But even so it seems to be almost just as good perhaps.

Its very difficult to make a direct comparison.

So my official results are unconclusive comparing the LP core to downclocking like franco does now.

Does anybody know the last franco that used the lp core r31?

SupWiz17

Jan 14, 2012
Chicago, IL

I cant tell much, mkernel does sleep eventually at -6mAh same as franco but it idles higher with screen on by -60mAh at 330 compared to francos at -260ish

Mkernel definitly goes to deep sleep without a magnet, francos seems to not. But imo with the data im seeing so far francos is better on the battery life, but mkernels overclocked too

But even so it seems to be almost just as good perhaps.

Its very difficult to make a direct comparison.

So my official results are unconclusive comparing the LP core to downclocking like franco does now.

Does anybody know the last franco that used the lp core r31?
How do you get the device to go to deep sleep with a magnet?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
The covers that do auto sleep wake function use a magnet. If you hold pretty much any magnet by the bottom left corner it puts it to deep sleep if you take it away it wakes up
LOL NO.

Deep sleep is a state of the processor.. which it is inherently "off" or "in deep sleep"
NOT Just when the screen goes off does it go into "deep sleep"

okay..
/end of rant :)

djdunn

Apr 24, 2011
Pittsburgh
LOL NO.

Deep sleep is a state of the processor.. which it is inherently "off" or "in deep sleep"
NOT Just when the screen goes off does it go into "deep sleep"

okay..
/end of rant :)
I realize that, perhaps im not being that clear or need to read about it more, the android api is new and unfamiliar to me

I have noticed it goes deep sleep with the magnet switch but not the power button with francos kernels, i see it with differences in power draw and the timer on cpu spy

sjknight413

Dec 1, 2009
Brighton, England
Been on cm10.1 nightlies ever since I got my nexus 7 a couple of weeks back, don't know why but after flashing any kernel I get some stickyness in scrolling on the homescreen after unlocking. Lasts for up to five seconds some times and it gets so bad I can barely get past one page during that time. Happened with every version of Franco's kernel so far and I tested mkernel but it still happens.

But here's the kicker, it is completely fine on the stock cm kernel.
Anyone know how to fix it? Or why this only seems to be happening to me?
Bumping this, tried flashing r40 today and the same thing happened, can't see all this speed many users are reporting.