[KERNEL/GPL/Sense]ScaryKernel 1.8 super uv/oc/uc/smartass/scary governor/bfq

Search This thread

Scaryghoul

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 25, 2010
North East, MD
If you haven't been able to get past the HTC screen at boot and keep bootlooping, YOU MUST INSTALL BC'S 1.5 GHZ KERNEL FIRST AND THEN FLASH THESE KERNELS OVER THAT I also just flashed it straight off of a new Mikshift install and I got the bootloop until I did this. So if you guys didn't do this, then install bc's kernel and flash Scary kernel again.

Scaryghoul, I have installed your 1.8 suv successfully on Mikshift. This is great news. I knew it would work, but for some reason I just cant get it running on aosp. I will keep you updated on IRC or through this thread, I haven't seen you on today yet.

Link to bcnice20's 1.5ghz kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=941728

If that doesn't work, try flashing over his 1.8ghz kernel(This is what worked for me, bcnice, if you want me to take down this link just let me know.) - http://thebcblends.com/shift/kernels/Sense-1.8ghz-bfq-test1.zip

Table of contents:
  • Intro
  • Features/what this includes
  • Why it's labeled unstable
  • Disclaimer
  • Latest kernels
  • Instructions for using swap
  • Governor exlainations
  • Governor strategies
  • Recommended apps
  • Locating cpu% Eaters && other negative items towards battery life
  • FAQ!
  • Changelog
  • Stable/safe voltage kernels
  • Notes
  • Source
  • Credits

Intro: I'm scaryghoul.

What this includes
  • Swap
  • BFQ I/o scheduler
  • Extreme undervolt
  • Overclocked & underclocked values
  • HW3D enabled
  • Sleepers disabled
  • Smartass governor
  • New Scary governor!
  • Tweaked conservative governor
  • and much more(All of bcnice20's kernel)

Why it's labeled unstable: So I don't get people poking me in the eyes with spoons if/when it freezes up. It actually works quite well, but since I heavily undervolted an undervolted kernel, it is bound to not be 100% stable(It is about 90% stable =P)

Disclaimer: What everyone else puts in kernel threads, about me not being responsible, ect.

Latest kernels
The voltages of the superUV will not work for everyone, if they don't work for you, then try the builds labeled stable

Recommended speeds 245-800mhz or 245-1ghz on scary governor && no setcpu profiles

Scarykernel 1.8 suv - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15373824/Sense/ScarySense1.8Suv.zip
Scarykernel 1.8 stable undervolt - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15373824/Sense/ScarySense1.8Stable.zip

Instructions for using swap
For a swapfile do something like this.
dd if=/dev/zero of=$Swapfile bs=1048576 count=$Size
Where $Swapfile is the location of the file you want, and $Size is the amount of mb for swap you want to use.
Then type
mkswap $Path
swapon $Path

Replacing $Path/$Size with your own values of course, so if I wanted 20mb of swap I'd execute the commands
dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/swapfile bs=1048576 count=20
mkswap /sdcard/swapfile
swapon /sdcard/swapfile

Governor exlainations
  • Toasty makes one transition to the max speed and stays there(benchmarks only usually)

• Batterysave! sits at the bottom and when the cpu load increases past the threshhold it scales up to the next speed and takes another load sample and keeps doing that(best on battery life/performance ratio)

• Ondemand sits at the bottom and when the cpu load increases past the threshhold, it scales ot the max speed then takes another load sample and scales down accordingly

• Powersave makes one transition to the bottom speed and stays there

• Smartass(Quoted from another author http://www.ziggy471.com/2010/11/07/smartass-governor-info ) - "is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
    I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works – by taking over the idle loop – is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the “old” minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
    Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 – why?! – it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!"

• Scary - A new governor I wrote based on conservative with some smartass features, it scales accordingly to conservatives laws. So it will start from the bottom, take a load sample, if it's above the upthreshold, ramp up only one speed at a time, and ramp down one at a time. It will automatically cap the off screen speeds to 245Mhz, and if your min freq is higher than 245mhz, it will reset the min to 120mhz while screen is off and restore it upon screen awakening, and still scale accordingly to conservatives laws. So it spends most of its time at lower frequencies. The goal of this is to get the best battery life with decent performance. It will give the same performance as conservative right now, it will get tweaked over time.

Governor strategies
Conservative - Upthreshold 85, downthreshold 60
Smartass - Sleep max 245760Hz, Ramp up at 384000Hz at a time, up threshold 90, downthreshold 60
Scary - Upthreshold 80, down threshold 45, sleep max 245760Hz, sleep min, 122880Hz

Recommended apps =)
Zdbox - Great toolbox app, just don't let it run in your notifications bar, it's a cpu eater
Setcpu/Nofrills - Apps that help manage your cpu/profiles/ect.(I don't use them but they're pretty okay)
Perfect system or Elixer widgets - Widgets that monitor battery, current, cpu%, cpu speed, and more(Great for battery guru's)
Adw ex - Smoothest/fasted/lightest ratio in a launcher I've seen so far, and least cpu intensive(for me that's a big thing so the cpu scales less)
Colorize widgets - Great widgets to replace the lpp ones for those converting to other launchers.
AppMonster(pro or free) - Great backup utility, automatically backs up all apps.(I like it better than TB)
GPS Status - Great application for finding satalites near you and helping get a quick lock.
Any go dev team app - Great dev team, all their apps are worth looking at.

Frequently asked questions

Question: My phone is boot looping/not booting on the released suv, what do I do?
Answer: Your phone cannot handle the super undervolted values, you will need to flash the stable undervolted kernel

Question: My phone is running slow on the batterysave or scary governors, what do I do?
Answer: Set your minimum speed higher, those governors spend a lot of time at the lowest values

Question: How do I flash this?
Answer: You probably shouldn't be flashing one of my kernels if you don't know how(Mine are unstable =P)

Question: I'm not getting the amazing battery life/benchmark scores that others are getting
Answer: Well, every device is different, so you may not be able to score as high as some others, but you should get close at least, and the battery completely depends on usage patterns

Question: My phone can't clock to 1.8ghz, or some of the other higher values but does fine on the lower ones
Answer: Every device is different and not all can handle the same speeds/voltages, you are probably better off staying away from the higher speeds, I enabled the speeds but hope that you all are mature enough to handle them

Locating cpu% eating applications.

When in ADB shell type the following

top |grep app

Then look for items with high amounts of cpu% while the phone is idle.

Last edited:

Scaryghoul

Jun 25, 2010
North East, MD
Changelog
v1.8 - Initial kernel release for sense

Safe voltage kernels

Notes:
No I can't take the overclock any higher, I think everyone who's had a chance to take a crack at this source has tried, and going any higher seizes up after a few seconds.

Here is the source code for this build. I'll try to maintain it, I have a lot of kernel sources, but this will always be the latest release code, unless I state otherwise.
https://github.com/Scaryghoul

Credits: bcnice20 - For 99.8% of his kernel source.
Dogejcr/Preludedrew - For helping me get my laptop setup for kernel compiling.
Testers - For flashing this even though it says unstable :-X
JoesephMother - For helping me unlock the new lower clock values && other kernel related matters =)
x99percent - I used his middle clock speeds between the 3xx->7xx values as a base(edited voltages) as well as used his smartass source.

Last edited:

PaulB007

Dec 31, 2008
I see nobody else has chimed in on this kernel yet.. I will install Mikshift tomorrow and report my findings.

ozzie1p

Jun 17, 2010
Bummer, my phone is a wuss! I can't boot either one of these. Just sits on white screen. They look cool as hell though.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

PaulB007

Dec 31, 2008
If you haven't been able to get past the HTC screen at boot and keep bootlooping, YOU MUST INSTALL BC'S 1.5 GHZ KERNEL FIRST AND THEN FLASH THESE KERNELS OVER THAT I also just flashed it straight off of a new Mikshift install and I got the bootloop until I did this. So if you guys didn't do this, then install bc's kernel and flash Scary kernel again.

Scaryghoul, I have installed your 1.8 suv successfully on Mikshift. This is great news. I knew it would work, but for some reason I just cant get it running on aosp. I will keep you updated on IRC or through this thread, I haven't seen you on today yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scaryghoul

ozzie1p

Jun 17, 2010
Tried going strait from BC's still no go.

Scaryghoul

Jun 25, 2010
North East, MD
Bummer, my phone is a wuss! I can't boot either one of these. Just sits on white screen. They look cool as hell though.

Did you flash over bcnice20's kernel?

Thanks for clarifying that, I took down the links until we can get this working on several devices.

Tried going strait from BC's still no go.

Did you try both of them over bcnice20's 1.5ghz? Not everyone can handle the suv one.

edit: Links back up! I need some testers to try the fix at the top.

Last edited:

ozzie1p

Jun 17, 2010
Ya, I flashed right over the top of bc's. Ill try these new ones.

PaulB007

Dec 31, 2008
Scaryghoul are the reposted links any different than the old kernels you had up the first time? If not, the suv build would boot and run, but after using the phone after awhile for cpu intensive tasks it would lock up and require a battery pull. Im wondering if just a tiny bit more voltage would solve this problem.

On the stable build, it would run a minute or so and always lock up and require a battery pull..

Scaryghoul

Jun 25, 2010
North East, MD
Scaryghoul are the reposted links any different than the old kernels you had up the first time? If not, the suv build would boot and run, but after using the phone after awhile for cpu intensive tasks it would lock up and require a battery pull. Im wondering if just a tiny bit more voltage would solve this problem.

On the stable build, it would run a minute or so and always lock up and require a battery pull..

Same links....and I see. If the stable build has the same issue as the suv, then it's not the voltage >.<

ozzie1p

Jun 17, 2010
Oops. Thought they were new. At least I got the flash bug scratched. Flashed over both bc 1.5 and 1.8, no go.

Scaryghoul

Jun 25, 2010
North East, MD

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just Wondering?
When Source Code is released will you make a suv kernel for the Gingerbread Update i loved it on froyo and mikshift and gave great battery life.

Scaryghoul

Jun 25, 2010
North East, MD
Just Wondering?
When Source Code is released will you make a suv kernel for the Gingerbread Update i loved it on froyo and mikshift and gave great battery life.

The source code isn't actually the issue right now. Lack of motivation mainly, I would consider it more if I hadn't deleted my toolchain from my dev station, can't be bothered to get another one setup right now.

When I get motivated again I will, I honestly don't use my phone much anymore(maybe pick it up once or twice a day).

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The source code isn't actually the issue right now. Lack of motivation mainly, I would consider it more if I hadn't deleted my toolchain from my dev station, can't be bothered to get another one setup right now.

When I get motivated again I will, I honestly don't use my phone much anymore(maybe pick it up once or twice a day).

Ah ok that sucks was really hoping for it but I understand thanks for the fast reply

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com

The ndk from google's web site has the toolchains needed to build gb kernel in it. The dl isn't terribly huge.

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Link to bcnice20's 1.5ghz kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=941728

If that doesn't work, try flashing over his 1.8ghz kernel(This is what worked for me, bcnice, if you want me to take down this link just let me know.) - http://thebcblends.com/shift/kernels/Sense-1.8ghz-bfq-test1.zip

Table of contents:
    • Intro
    • Features/what this includes
    • Why it's labeled unstable
    • Disclaimer
    • Latest kernels
    • Instructions for using swap
    • Governor exlainations
    • Governor strategies
    • Recommended apps
    • Locating cpu% Eaters && other negative items towards battery life
    • FAQ!
    • Changelog
    • Stable/safe voltage kernels
    • Notes
    • Source
    • Credits

Intro: I'm scaryghoul.

What this includes
    • Swap
    • BFQ I/o scheduler
    • Extreme undervolt
    • Overclocked & underclocked values
    • HW3D enabled
    • Sleepers disabled
    • Smartass governor
    • New Scary governor!
    • Tweaked conservative governor
    • and much more(All of bcnice20's kernel)

Why it's labeled unstable: So I don't get people poking me in the eyes with spoons if/when it freezes up. It actually works quite well, but since I heavily undervolted an undervolted kernel, it is bound to not be 100% stable(It is about 90% stable =P)

Disclaimer: What everyone else puts in kernel threads, about me not being responsible, ect.

Latest kernels
    The voltages of the superUV will not work for everyone, if they don't work for you, then try the builds labeled stable

Recommended speeds 245-800mhz or 245-1ghz on scary governor && no setcpu profiles

Scarykernel 1.8 suv - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15373824/Sense/ScarySense1.8Suv.zip
    Scarykernel 1.8 stable undervolt - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15373824/Sense/ScarySense1.8Stable.zip

Instructions for using swap
    For a swapfile do something like this.
    dd if=/dev/zero of=$Swapfile bs=1048576 count=$Size
    Where $Swapfile is the location of the file you want, and $Size is the amount of mb for swap you want to use.
    Then type
    mkswap $Path
    swapon $Path

Replacing $Path/$Size with your own values of course, so if I wanted 20mb of swap I'd execute the commands
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/swapfile bs=1048576 count=20
    mkswap /sdcard/swapfile
    swapon /sdcard/swapfile

Governor exlainations
    • Toasty makes one transition to the max speed and stays there(benchmarks only usually)

• Batterysave! sits at the bottom and when the cpu load increases past the threshhold it scales up to the next speed and takes another load sample and keeps doing that(best on battery life/performance ratio)

• Ondemand sits at the bottom and when the cpu load increases past the threshhold, it scales ot the max speed then takes another load sample and scales down accordingly

• Powersave makes one transition to the bottom speed and stays there

• Smartass(Quoted from another author http://www.ziggy471.com/2010/11/07/smartass-governor-info ) - "is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
      I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works – by taking over the idle loop – is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the “old” minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
      Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 – why?! – it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!"

• Scary - A new governor I wrote based on conservative with some smartass features, it scales accordingly to conservatives laws. So it will start from the bottom, take a load sample, if it's above the upthreshold, ramp up only one speed at a time, and ramp down one at a time. It will automatically cap the off screen speeds to 245Mhz, and if your min freq is higher than 245mhz, it will reset the min to 120mhz while screen is off and restore it upon screen awakening, and still scale accordingly to conservatives laws. So it spends most of its time at lower frequencies. The goal of this is to get the best battery life with decent performance. It will give the same performance as conservative right now, it will get tweaked over time.

Governor strategies
    Conservative - Upthreshold 85, downthreshold 60
    Smartass - Sleep max 245760Hz, Ramp up at 384000Hz at a time, up threshold 90, downthreshold 60
    Scary - Upthreshold 80, down threshold 45, sleep max 245760Hz, sleep min, 122880Hz

Recommended apps =)
    Zdbox - Great toolbox app, just don't let it run in your notifications bar, it's a cpu eater
    Setcpu/Nofrills - Apps that help manage your cpu/profiles/ect.(I don't use them but they're pretty okay)
    Perfect system or Elixer widgets - Widgets that monitor battery, current, cpu%, cpu speed, and more(Great for battery guru's)
    Adw ex - Smoothest/fasted/lightest ratio in a launcher I've seen so far, and least cpu intensive(for me that's a big thing so the cpu scales less)
    Colorize widgets - Great widgets to replace the lpp ones for those converting to other launchers.
    AppMonster(pro or free) - Great backup utility, automatically backs up all apps.(I like it better than TB)
    GPS Status - Great application for finding satalites near you and helping get a quick lock.
    Any go dev team app - Great dev team, all their apps are worth looking at.

Frequently asked questions

Question: My phone is boot looping/not booting on the released suv, what do I do?
    Answer: Your phone cannot handle the super undervolted values, you will need to flash the stable undervolted kernel

Question: My phone is running slow on the batterysave or scary governors, what do I do?
    Answer: Set your minimum speed higher, those governors spend a lot of time at the lowest values

Question: How do I flash this?
    Answer: You probably shouldn't be flashing one of my kernels if you don't know how(Mine are unstable =P)

Question: I'm not getting the amazing battery life/benchmark scores that others are getting
    Answer: Well, every device is different, so you may not be able to score as high as some others, but you should get close at least, and the battery completely depends on usage patterns

Question: My phone can't clock to 1.8ghz, or some of the other higher values but does fine on the lower ones
    Answer: Every device is different and not all can handle the same speeds/voltages, you are probably better off staying away from the higher speeds, I enabled the speeds but hope that you all are mature enough to handle them

Locating cpu% eating applications.

When in ADB shell type the following

top |grep app

Then look for items with high amounts of cpu% while the phone is idle.