[KERNEL][GPU OC] SmurfKernel 1.1.0 [OOS 10/CUSTOM UNIFIED]

str8str

Apr 1, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
For about a week, maybe two, or three i have to suspend the development. Because of the unacceptable display i'll return my device to OnePlus. As often as needed to receive a device with a proper display. Even over the day it has noticible gray and color issues. Depending of dc-dimmimg is on or off left or right side looks like crap. Not premium.
Just compare yourself. The nice 9ne is the OnePlus 7 Pro. All shots are from yesterday, same room, same light conditions, both displays same settings.
Do you keep your phone white or do you use black amoel

str8str

Apr 1, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If there's stuff around the kernel, scripts, ramdisk, but that's killed. A kernel is a read only thing. There's no data.
Companion modules from other kernels you should uninstall for sure. My module destroys itself if any other kernel is detected. If other modules around are that advanced, well no idea to be honest.
Ya blu spark kernel has always warned to flash your stock boot img or rom before changing kernels. I'm not a builder etc so I just follow what you devs say but it gets confused when you have different views on the same thing.

Attachments

str8str

Apr 1, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
For about a week, maybe two, or three i have to suspend the development. Because of the unacceptable display i'll return my device to OnePlus. As often as needed to receive a device with a proper display. Even over the day it has noticible gray and color issues. Depending of dc-dimmimg is on or off left or right side looks like crap. Not premium.
Just compare yourself. The nice 9ne is the OnePlus 7 Pro. All shots are from yesterday, same room, same light conditions, both displays same settings.
Thank God I don't have these screen issues but they are most likely software issues that will eventually be fixed via updates. It's always well most always been the case people cry it's hardware return their phones same thing happens and they return and so on then eventually it's fixed via an update. Up to you which route you take it's a pain either way

Last edited:

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
Ya blu spark kernel has always warned to flash your stock boot img or rom before changing kernels. I'm not a builder etc so I just follow what you devs say but it gets confused when you have different views on the same thing.
If you delete ramdisk during install as i do it is superfluous to do that stock flash step. Other stuff like Magisk modules you have to remove yourself anyway, if dev has no module removing itself.

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
Where can I find the dc dimming. Thank God I don't have these screen issues but they are most likely software issues that will eventually be fixed via updates. It's always well most always been the case people cry it's hardware return their phones same thing happens and they return and so on then eventually it's fixed via an update. Up to you which route you take it's a pain either way
In setting, i guess in english they maybe call it OnePlus laboratory. If that what i see on my display is a software issue OnePlus made a ultra bad job.

Reactions: str8str

str8str

Apr 1, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
In setting, i guess in english they maybe call it OnePlus laboratory. If that what i see on my display is a software issue OnePlus made a ultra bad job.
I think it's a delicate process you can have a read here. Because every pixel is powered separately. Mine is the Chinese version in2020 don't know if that's has anything to do with it or how they do this but they may have done a better job at it in the interim. You may want to have a good look at all your settings that have anything to do with the display just to be sure that a combination of 2 or more being on isn't causing it. Just to be sure
https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/oneplus-7-pro-gets-dc-dimming-whats-it-and-how-to-enable-it/

Last edited:

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
I think it's a delicate process you can have a read here. Because every pixel is powered separately. Mine is the Chinese version in2020 don't know if that's has anything to do with it or how they do this but they may have done a better job at it in the interim. You may want to have a good look at all your settings that have anything to do with the display just to be sure that a combination of 2 or more being on isn't causing it. Just to be sure
https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/oneplus-7-pro-gets-dc-dimming-whats-it-and-how-to-enable-it/
It's for sure nothing about settings. As you can see my OP7 pro, with exactly same settings is miles ahead. I have the IN2020 too, btw. And well it's my tenth AMOLED device, i know how it works and how it has to look [emoji16]

NikoZBK

May 8, 2011
Wow that is unacceptable, good luck with the RMA, love the kernel.

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Except that the option labeled as dc dimming is not real hardware dc dimming on phones as of now. It’s a form of hybrid dc dimming.
That’s probably the reason why this option is in the laboratory still. Some other manufacturers don’t even call it dc dimming, but rather flicker free or similar.

The option keeps the brightness higher ( means the pwm at a higher frequency) and overlays the screen to dim the display if you decrease the brightness. Higher frequency means no nausea and less flicker.

Real DC dimming changes brightness by supplying different levels of power to the circuit.

They'll fix it
I’m pretty sure it won’t be fixed completely. The second to last update increased the minimum brightness by quite a bit. I don’t consider this a real fix, but rather a workaround for hardware that isn’t as mature as previous 60 or 90fps amoled panels.

Before said update I could very clearly see issues on my display when I looked for it. More unevenly lit screen, rather than green tint. But a bit of green tint was there as well when I looked for it. After this change (raising min brightness) the issue is almost non existing on my unit.

So my conclusion is, while there’s variance and some people got a panel that’s nearly issue free on the last update there are also people less lucky.

Another well known dev stated it’s the pwm module that might be the issue.
https://twitter.com/arter97/status/1273173195437285381

That’s also some form of link to the dc dimming changing the issue in some way. ;)

Absolutely my opinion. That's to heavy to keep the device.
I agree with you, if you feel that these display issues are unacceptable for a 1000euro device. Especially if they are present after the last firmware updates.

I’ll attach a pic how mine looks with min brightness forced via kernel to a level before said update was rolled out.
Please note that the dark grey background from chrome is the place where the issue is by far most apparent.

Attachments

Reactions: names and ceza1380

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
Except that the option labeled as dc dimming is not real hardware dc dimming on phones as of now. It’s a form of hybrid dc dimming.
That’s probably the reason why this option is in the laboratory still. Some other manufacturers don’t even call it dc dimming, but rather flicker free or similar.

The option keeps the brightness higher ( means the pwm at a higher frequency) and overlays the screen to dim the display if you decrease the brightness. Higher frequency means no nausea and less flicker.

Real DC dimming changes brightness by supplying different levels of power to the circuit.

I’m pretty sure it won’t be fixed completely. The second to last update increased the minimum brightness by quite a bit. I don’t consider this a real fix, but rather a workaround for hardware that isn’t as mature as previous 60 or 90fps amoled panels.

Before said update I could very clearly see issues on my display when I looked for it. More unevenly lit screen, rather than green tint. But a bit of green tint was there as well when I looked for it. After this change (raising min brightness) the issue is almost non existing on my unit.

So my conclusion is, while there’s variance and some people got a panel that’s nearly issue free on the last update there are also people less lucky.

That’s also some form of link to the dc dimming changing the issue in some way. ;)

I agree with you, if you feel that these display issues are unacceptable for a 1000euro device. Especially if they are present after the last firmware updates.

I’ll attach a pic how mine looks with min brightness forced via kernel to a level before said update was rolled out.
Please note that the dark grey background from chrome is the place where the issue is by far most apparent.
Thx for your pretty detailed comments mate. Yours doesn't look really fit too. Well i'm still undecided if i really should return it for repair. But using it in the evening isn't a real fun. I always grab the 7 Pro and use it instead of the 8 Pro. That's not how it should be.

str8str

Apr 1, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Why or how did you get a blue screen? There not done by the dimming is it

vinayak.s19

Oct 14, 2016
Chennai
Restart device, there's nothing broken.
Well, It's quite obvious for anyone to do so and I too did that. I had to follow a guide to restore my corrupted persist partition and now the FP works but I'm afraid that if I flash the kernel again then it might break my persist partition again. I had similar issues with exmentalx kernel for Redmi Note 3 where flashing the kernel was breaking persist and I was losing FP.

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
Well, It's quite obvious for anyone to do so and I too did that. I had to follow a guide to restore my corrupted persist partition and now the FP works but I'm afraid that if I flash the kernel again then it might break my persist partition again. I had similar issues with exmentalx kernel for Redmi Note 3 where flashing the kernel was breaking persist and I was losing FP.
The kernel 1000% does not break persist partition. Flash process with TWRP in general or Magisk may break it. The kernel flash scripts do not touch this partition in any way. First recommendation xXx gave me after receiving the device was to backup persist partition. Because of Magisk Canary was known to kill persist. Months ago for sure and well i use actual Canary without any issues.

Last edited: