[KERNEL][GPU OC] SmurfKernel 1.1.0 [OOS 10/CUSTOM UNIFIED]

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
Now I am wondering what may have caused the corrupted persist partition then:confused::confused::confused:
You flashed Magisk in flash sequence? All here use anykernel and you can check yourself that nothing in the scripts accesses persist. TWRP flashes the zip, you thought about a TWRP error caused it. Magisk is active too, well. The kernel itself definitely doesn't crash persist, fact.
Many people not even use my kernel or any other custom kernel crashed their persist, why if kernel causes it?!

vinayak.s19

Oct 14, 2016
Chennai
You flashed Magisk in flash sequence? All here use anykernel and you can check yourself that nothing in the scripts accesses persist. TWRP flashes the zip, you thought about a TWRP error caused it. Magisk is active too, well. The kernel itself definitely doesn't crash persist, fact.
No, I didn't flash magisk as the logs mentioned "no need to install magisk" or something similar. And yes I can agree that the kernel installation scripts must have not caused the issue. Could be TWRP related too as I don't even have TWRP flashed because the OP suggested so due to stability issues. Should I try flashing again? I am now on latest stable.

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
No, I didn't flash magisk as the logs mentioned "no need to install magisk" or something similar. And yes I can agree that the kernel installation scripts must have not caused the issue. Could be TWRP related too as I don't even have TWRP flashed because the OP suggested so due to stability issues. Should I try flashing again? I am now on latest stable.
Sure you can flash it again. I don't encountered any persist issues since i build for the device. Anyway i have a backup if it maybe happens on future flashes. It's a little a mystery what exactly should crash this partition.

vinayak.s19

Oct 14, 2016
Chennai
So I was on latest stock. I flashed kernel, flashed magisk, flashed, kernel. Booted into broken FP again. :(

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

To add to the mystery, I had backed up my persist partition before flashing this time. And I restored the persist partition after FP broke but it didn't fix it. So, I am guessing it is not related to the persist partition after all.
Edit: Fixed FP by flashing stable again. So it is confirmed that it is not a persist issue but FP still breaks.

Last edited:

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
So I was on latest stock. I flashed kernel, flashed magisk, flashed, kernel. Booted into broken FP again. :(

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

To add to the mystery, I had backed up my persist partition before flashing this time. And I restored the persist partition after FP broke but it didn't fix it. So, I am guessing it is not related to the persist partition after all.

Edit: Fixed FP by flashing stable again. So it is confirmed that it is not a persist issue but FP still breaks.
Well obviously a special device, FP is fine here and except yours no negative reports.
Without logs i'm out of ideas which issue you have.

Last edited:

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Thx for your pretty detailed comments mate. Yours doesn't look really fit too. Well i'm still undecided if i really should return it for repair. But using it in the evening isn't a real fun. I always grab the 7 Pro and use it instead of the 8 Pro. That's not how it should be.
I don’t know if there’s any possibility for you to try another unit to compare side to side. I guess not, because I don’t know anybody other with the phone personally nor have I seen it on display somewhere.

But looking at your photos, my unit is definitely a bit better on lowest stock brightness on the most recent firmware, than your photos on the same usecases.
So depending on luck you might get a unit that is a bit better, about the same or worse... it’s a tough decision.

But I agree it’s not how it should be.

Here's mine low light min brightness with DC dimming on
You do realize that a screenshot won’t show the issue at all? ;)
It’s not software, it’s how the panel displays dark grey colour on low brightness. A screenshot will of course look fine.

Why or how did you get a blue screen? There not done by the dimming is it
That’s a photo of how my screen actually looks to my eyes (not when taking a screenshot and view it elsewhere) if I use the device at the same level of minimum brightness, that was accessible 2 or 3 OTAs ago.
It “should” be a dark grey Google chrome startpage, but the panel can’t display it correctly on minimal brightness. So it turns out like you see on the photo.

One of the updates (can’t remember which OTA exactly, but the one that was available 2 or 3 days after I received the phone, got it quite early) bumped the minimum brightness by a big notch (so much that I don’t like to use it over my op7 pro in a pitch black room) that masks the problem on most units because the problematic low brightness levels are simply not available.

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
I don’t know if there’s any possibility for you to try another unit to compare side to side. I guess not, because I don’t know anybody other with the phone personally nor have I seen it on display somewhere.

But looking at your photos, my unit is definitely a bit better on lowest stock brightness on the most recent firmware, than your photos on the same usecases.
So depending on luck you might get a unit that is a bit better, about the same or worse... it’s a tough decision.

But I agree it’s not how it should be.

You do realize that a screenshot won’t show the issue at all? ;)
It’s not software, it’s how the panel displays dark grey colour on low brightness. A screenshot will of course look fine.

That’s a photo of how my screen actually looks to my eyes (not when taking a screenshot and view it elsewhere) if I use the device at the same level of minimum brightness, that was accessible 2 or 3 OTAs ago.
It “should” be a dark grey Google chrome startpage, but the panel can’t display it correctly on minimal brightness. So it turns out like you see on the photo.

One of the updates (can’t remember which OTA exactly, but the one that was available 2 or 3 days after I received the phone, got it quite early) bumped the minimum brightness by a big notch (so much that I don’t like to use it over my op7 pro in a pitch black room) that masks the problem on most units because the problematic low brightness levels are simply not available.
I decided to return it on Tuesday. The only comparison was the OP7 Pro which is a lot better. Additionally to the display issues the device overheated several times on hotter days. I returned to stock to cross-check it and well same behaviour. Message, reducing brightness to a completely unusable level, well, never seen that on the pimped OP7 Pro unit. After preparing the 8 for shipping, msm tooled it several times, because of it refused to power down ?. It's on the way to OP, powered on.
I'll chat with them later again to point out that i want a replacement unit and not a repair.

frankieuk

May 13, 2016
Im on just the oneplus 8 when i flash it and i reboot, my screen is black with GREEN appearing from the top :eek: fixed by reflashing previous though. i think im doing something wrong.

pappschlumpf

Apr 5, 2011
Augsburg
^^this exactly. For me, it got better with updates tho for some reason flashing the latest A11 DP makes the display looks terrible (green tint, black bars.. etc) I'm back to latest stable for now..

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
If it just would have been a tint. Anyway my device returned with a brand new display, after 20 days and the new one doesn't show these bad gray to nearly black issue from one side to the other. Well see how it goes now.

TheExoduser

Jan 4, 2017
Stuttgart
Hey there and many thanks @pappschlumpf for providing your kernel on the OP8Pro too!

Seeing as your kernel is basically the only one that has a "custom roms supported" seal on it, I tried it with the resurrection remix rom from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8-pro/help/resurrection-remix-8-pro-t4160289.
After the installation, I encountered a strange behaviour. Everytime my device is booting, it is showing an image like a screen error (different colored pixels everywhere) for 2-5 seconds.
Sometimes the display is also flickering for a few seconds in the area where the FOD reader is. Then it shows the default ROM boot animation and is starting just fine.
First time I saw that I was quite shocked, thinking that I had just broken my phone.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask, if you have any clue as to why that behaviour is occuring on the custom rom (LOS based) or if you even encountered this behaviour before?
I'd be interested in knowing if there is something that I could do to stop this behaviour :)

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
FYI before anyone does anything stupid, some devices are running Android 10 kernels on Android 11. DON'T TRY IT HERE! There's a half-baked China LR Team TWRP that can backup everything from Android 11 but can't access your data partition. Anyhow tried to flash, takes you straight to Qualcomm Crashdump Mode. Which I figured out how to get out of - power + volume up + volume down a few times you can beat it to fastboot and go back to TWRP to reflash the boot.img you backed up... And that TWRP is not one you want to flash to your device, fastboot boot it...

BosvarkJP

Oct 10, 2020
This is a great kernal! Really pushing the limit of performance got a 3Dmark score of 9483 Over all and is said to be better than 100% better than all other devices so id say that 900 mhz overclock is a beast!