[KERNEL][L][STOCK][5.1.1]intersectRaven's Kernel - 20151018_20XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pablo11

Jun 23, 2007
Down Under
I see there is a new one again dated 29/10th - hard to keep up with all these lol :)
Any chance they could be packed into the twrp image like the guy did a few posts back?
I guess that's a big ask though .......

lion567

Oct 3, 2013
I see there is a new one again dated 29/10th - hard to keep up with all these lol :)
Any chance they could be packed into the twrp image like the guy did a few posts back?
I guess that's a big ask though .......
I see no reasons to repack TWRP image with newest @intersectRaven's kernels until there will be significant changes, useful for TWRP.
Kernel tuning and optimisation are essential for running Android Wear, but they doesn't make much sense for TWRP.

Last edited:

lion567

Oct 3, 2013
I got massive battery drain (wouldn't last a day, normally get 2+ days out of it) with 1511, so I've flashed 2910 this morning to hopefully combat that!
That's multi.boot.img flashed on the Urbane ROM.
I was running latest (20151115_18XX) multi.boot.img with slightly modded (by myself) stock 5.1.1 (LCA44B) and after a week also found that this kernel gives me less runtime than 20151029_16XX. Something wrong with last 10-15%, when battery level is less than 15%, watches can suddenly switch over at any time, despite the average discharge speed is a bit more than 2% per hour. :(
Finally rolled back to 20151029_16XX kernel.

Last edited:

rb1213

Jul 15, 2013
OnePlus One
LG G3
I was running latest (20151115_18XX) multi.boot.img with slightly modded (by myself) stock 5.1.1 (LCA44B) and after a week also found that this kernel gives me less runtime than 20151029_16XX. Something wrong with last 10-15%, when battery level is less than 15%, watches can suddenly switch over at any time, despite the average discharge speed is a bit more than 2% per hour. :(
Finally rolled back to 20151029_16XX kernel.

I had the same problem :(
rolled back to the one on page 1.
hopefully it's better :confused:

Megaflop666

May 17, 2014
Insanity
Been running the 11-27 WiFi.multi.boot.img for a couple days now and wanted to throw out there that I'm getting some of my best battery yet. Not sure what all changes you've thrown in there but it feels great!

Reactions: jordirpz

lion567

Oct 3, 2013
I've runninig 20151127_18XX multi.boot for one full charging cycle and have the same issue as with 20151115_18XX - watches swithed off unexpectedly a few minutes after they has shown 9% battery level and about 3 hours of expected runtime :( Will check at the end of the next charging cycle.

Megaflop666

May 17, 2014
Insanity
I've runninig 20151127_18XX multi.boot for one full charging cycle and have the same issue as with 20151115_18XX - watches swithed off unexpectedly a few minutes after they has shown 9% battery level and about 3 hours of expected runtime :( Will check at the end of the next charging cycle.
Fortunately I've not experienced that. With my everyday use I'm also getting about 2.5 days between charges.

eddy69

Apr 3, 2014
Been running the 11-27 WiFi.multi.boot.img for a couple days now and wanted to throw out there that I'm getting some of my best battery yet. Not sure what all changes you've thrown in there but it feels great!

Very strange! I'm back to 11-26 cause 'im getting much more battery waste compared to old version.
Now i retry old version but 11-27 is not good for me.

eddy69

Apr 3, 2014
Version 27 seems also battery hungy for me, trying 26 now.
I can confirm that 26 version is much more saving battery than 27/11.
Tonight with old version i had a waste of 7% against 22% of yesterday with last 27/11 version.
I don't know what has been changed but for me last version is a step back (referring to multi.boot.img).

Reactions: Diechel

Megaflop666

May 17, 2014
Insanity
I can confirm that 26 version is much more saving battery than 27/11.
Tonight with old version i had a waste of 7% against 22% of yesterday with last 27/11 version.
I don't know what has been changed but for me last version is a step back (referring to multi.boot.img).
Gotta be something in how you're setting the kernel up. I have been getting 2 to 2.5 days per charge.

If I get some time later I'll post my kernel settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Development Goals:
    - stability
    - energy savings due to more efficient ARM algorithms
    - strictly no overclocking unless approved by the manufacturer or my source base integrates it (also, even if my source base integrates it, expect no support for it)
    - no undervolting as well unless the manufacturer approves it since it's relatively pointless IMHO...
    - all improvements should require MINIMAL user interaction (e.g. you don't need to do anything except flash the kernel or at the very least use SetCPU or the like to set fixed options)
    - stability

*note: FAQ is at the 3rd post

20151018_20XX:
    - some ramdisk cleanups for single image
    - enabled KSM and ZRAM swapping for increased memory flexibility

20151015_15XX:
    - added in partial resume support for *hopefully* better battery life
    - tweak cubic algorithm just in case it's needed

20151003_20XX:
    - added F2FS support (refer to 3rd post for MANUAL instructions on how to convert a partition to F2FS)

20151001_10XX:
    - uploaded to personal site with updated compiler

20150922_16XX:
    - tons of commits to improve power efficiency...just go to my GitHub... :p

20150831_19XX:
    - added FIOPS IO scheduler and set it as default
    - set FS options NOATIME and NODIRATIME always
    - use 4k kernel stacks to save memory

20150815_18XX:
    - first release for "back-to-basics" kernel
    - turned off a ton of debugging options to improve performance

20150726_17XX:
    - upgraded compiler

20150723_00XX:
    - fixed bootloop while charging

20150702_23XX:
    - modified ramdisk to support wifi properly on v2 of LeeDroid's Urbane port

20150623_22XX:
    - more backports for improved efficiency
    - changed kernel compression to XZ to make it even smaller
    - limited maximum CPU frequency to 1Ghz to lower power consumption for multi version since mpdecision keeps on using max frequency too much

20150621_21XX:
    - additional IPI reduction commits
    - changed kernel compression to LZMA to make it smaller

20150620_17XX:
    - reverted partial resume studies (seems to cause slowdowns somewhere but might also cause slightly more battery consumption)
    - comment some printouts which are annoying
    - kernel IPI improvements

20150617_23XX:
    - minor improvements to reduce CPU load
    - WiFi tweak
    - rendering optimizations

20150612_08XX:
    - added new feature for users of Urbane ROM which *might* also fix the bootup problem

20150611_09XX:
    - added new image, wifi.multi.boot.img, which is multicore and with built-in wifi support so no need to flash Tasssadar's MOD when you upgrade the kernel (from an already modded ROM or from Urbane port)
    ***IF YOUR ROM IS NOT YET MODDED, DON'T USE THE WIFI.MULTI RELEASE SINCE IT MIGHT CAUSE AN ERROR WHEN YOU RUN TASSSADAR'S UPDATE ZIP***

20150607_09XX:
    - back to usual local version tag
    - rebased to newly released 5.1.1 Lenok branch on AOSP with some additions from Bass branch for WiFi throughput and energy saving

20150602_23XX:
    - compiled using GCC 5.1
    - special local version tag

20150602_08XX:
    - modified panel to disable partial update since it seems to cause problems with current code (i.e. it disabled burn-in protection)
    - special local version tag

20150531_18XX:
    - removed a useless setting in the ramdisk which might cause increased CPU utilization thus less battery life

20150531_15XX:
    - just added a new flashable image, multi-core for those who want...strictly for testing for now...I won't be responsible if your device explodes or burns off your wrist or something... :D

20150531_08XX:
    - modified configuration with changes in Bass
    - imported clock change for WiFi from Bass

20150530_08XX:
    - has WiFi driver built-in waiting for ROM builders or modders to take advantage of
    *we have WiFi here!
    - first release for 5.1.1 based on Bass (Urbane) kernel source that was just released
    20150503_16XX:
    - rolled back previous changed as it increased battery consumption

20150423_23XX:
    - ported one of my Kindle Fire modification which I just remembered could impact performance extremely well
    - still has SELinux enabled as stock ROM doesn't play well with it disabled

20150412_21XX:
    - numerous backports from linux 4.0 for timer, scheduler and ARM

20150411_21XX:
    - numerous backports from linux 4.0 for timer, mutex and slub functionality performance improvements

20150411_19XX:
    - tweaked kernel settings according to imoseyon's findings

20150410_18XX:
    - timer optimization

20150409_00XX:
    - merged Motorola's lowmemorykiller tree modification
    - merged latest modifications to ondemand governor

20150402_07XX:
    - uses updated Linaro toolchain
    - integrated 5.0.2 changes in the kernel level (previous change was on the ramdisk level)
    - some performance improvement commits

20150220_23XX:
    - integrated changes for 5.0.2
    *since changes were minimal, this might still work for 5.0.1...do that at your own risk though... :p

20150129_22XX:
    - cherry-picked a patch for fixing the randomly occuring kernel BUG OOPS in smp_send_reschedule

20150127_22XX:
    - fully tickless kernel
    - adjust compiler tweaks even further
    - reduce panel power consumption

20150117_18XX:
    - updated my compiler with 15.01 Linaro gcc release source
    - tweaked more compiler flags for maximum performance

20150112_22XX:
    - first release with 2 kernels for single and dual core by default setup
    - first release using my own compiler
    - additional compiler flag optimizations
    - merged NVidia power efficiency patches together with a scheduler optimization

20150103_18XX:
    - enabled 2 cores and set to ondemand with maximum frequency limited to 800Mhz
    - added several improvements from arter97's G Watch repo namely ARM instruction conversion to bx from mov pc, definition of L1 and L2 cache size for better compiler instruction generation and binder mutex change to real time for surfaceflinger improvement (in layman's term: graphics rendering improvement) :p

20141221_18XX:
    - use compile time constants when possible for jiffies conversion
    - several BT and i2c voltage tweaks to lower power consumption

20141217_00XX:
    - same features as before only for Lollipop

20141206_07XX:
    - enabled partial frame updates to hopefully improve screen power consumption
    *not sure though since it might actually need ROM backing to work :confused:

20141203_17XX:
    - added some filesystem optimizations
    - compiled using Linaro 4.9.3

20141130_14XX:
    - initial public release
    - uses Linaro 4.9.2 for compilation
    - enable use of UDIV/SDIV ARM instructions
    - build-in byte-swap function
    - memutils optimizations
    - memcopy and string libraries now use glibc implementations
    - optimized copy_page functions for ARM

Disclaimer:
    Flash at your own risk. :)

You can find my other kernels at:
    http://intersectraven.net/kernels
    GitHub is at:

XDA:DevDB Information
    intersectRaven's G Watch R Kernel, Kernel for the LG G Watch R

Contributors
    intersectRaven
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2015-02-22
    Last Updated 2015-02-22
    I'll be releasing a new kernel in a bit since Google finally released the 5.1.1 kernel sources for all devices. :)
    Thread closed due to me not wanting to comply with development council's command. Will be maintaining my kernels from my own site from now on. :fingers-crossed:
    I'm getting pretty excited over a recent modification I made. Might of course be nothing but still, this is the first time I saw the expected battery estimate go up from 2 days to 4. :p

*just me dreaming
    FAQ:

1.) How do I flash this on my device?
    Use the "fastboot flash boot" command since I don't really have the time to support creation of a recovery flashable file. Optionally, you could also use the "fastboot boot" command to use the boot image temporarily which will reset to stock after a restart.
    *also, this device does not have a custom recovery *YET* as of the time of this thread's creation

2.) How do I return to stock kernel?
    Use the "fastboot flash boot" command using the stock boot image I provided in another thread here. :)

3.) Will you be releasing frequent updates?
    Right now I don't see anything else needed to improve this kernel as I am quite satisfied with it. You could post suggestions BUT they must have MINIMAL USER INTERACTION or will only seek to enable editing of certain values.

4.) How do you verify that it flashed correctly?
    Well, if it booted after fastboot showed the "writing" dialog, then it should be ok already. If you're ultra paranoid that maybe fastboot is lying to you or the NSA doesn't want you to know that it didn't overwrite the stock kernel which contains their secret spy stuff that wants to know how frequently you exercise you could enter the ff. command through adb:

cat /proc/version

and the kernel should show #7 and intersectRaven there together with the date that the kernel was compiled which is what I use to indicate the release. :)

5.) I see two files at the link above. What should I flash?
    In the site you'll see single.boot.img, dual.boot.img, multi.boot.img and wifi.multi.boot.img. This indicates how many cores are enabled by default upon boot and if it's wifi ROM ready. If you're a heavy user, you might want to go with dual.boot.img so that you have 2 cores available or maybe multi.boot.img so that it'll adjust to at most 4 cores WHEN NEEDED. If you just use your watch for notifications and want maximum power savings, use single.boot.img.

6.) What about the wifi.multi.boot.img?
    This is mainly for an ALREADY MODDED ROM (by Tasssadar) OR the URBANE ROM. With this, when you flash you won't need to rerun the update.zip provided by Tasssadar. Again, ONLY RUN THIS ON AN ALREADY MODDED ROM. If you flash this then run Tasssadar's Mod, you WILL encounter errors.

6.) If I flash the single boot image am I stuck forever with just one core being enabled?
    No. If your watch is rooted, you can enable a core (even all 4 if you wish) through adb. The boot images are merely separated for bootup default convenience.

7.) How do you enable WiFi?
    Go here.

8.) How do you convert a partition to F2FS?
    a.) Download the mkfs.f2fs file here.
    b.) Download a custom recovery somewhere and boot it.
    c.) Push mkfs.f2fs somewhere. (tested on /sbin directory)
    adb push mkfs.f2fs /sbin/
    d.) In adb, issue a mount command to find the partition you wish to format.
    *note, you can only format cache and userdata partitions and IF you choose to format the userdata, that's equivalent to a factory reset
    adb -> mount
    e.) Issue the ff. command replacing the X part with the partition you wish to format:
    mkfs.f2fs -l X
    e.g. mkfs.f2fs -l cache /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
    f.) Reboot. :)

OR use this modified TWRP by lion567! :)