• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [KERNEL] leanKernel for Fold Z3

Search This thread

chrisaw

Jun 12, 2007
Description

This is the first publicly released build of leanKernel for the Samsung Galaxy Z3 Fold.

Please be aware - this kernel does *NOT* currently include any fixes for the camera issue on Z3 Fold since none are known at this time. If a fix is found and kernel changes are needed - I will include them going forward.

Download

Google Drive

Changelog

leanKernel-1

- Compiled with clang 11.x
- Embedded needed firmware in to kernel
- Spoof stock kernel defconfig to prevent "device is damaged" warning
- Built ALL modules directly in to kernel
- Added datarmnet + datarmnet-ext to enable mobile data
- Added qcacld-3.0 to enable wifi
- Disabled EDAC for battery savings
- Spoof verifiedbootstate to pass SafetyNet (will still need Universal Safetynet Fix for other reasons though)
- Disabled KNOX_NCM
- Disabled Coresight debugging
- Added Wireguard
- Enabled power efficient work queues
- Set schedutil as default CPU scheduler
- Added a bunch of TCP/IP algos and set westwood as default
- Disabled KPERFMON
- Added Boeffla Wakelock Blocker (with no defaults blocked)
- Added KCAL
- Added KLAPSE 5.0
- Added a sysfs interface for use_spi_crc and enabled by default (/sys/kernel/mmc/use_api_crc)
- Added kAdaway ad blocking and disabled by default (/sys/kernel/leankernel/use_kadaway)

Thanks

@ianmacd - countless ideas and lots of his code went in to making this kernel possible.
@Mentalmuso - provided both help and code to get mobile data working on this device.
@tbalden - implemented his kAdaway functionality and adapted it for a root-enabled environment.
whatawurst on GitHub - fixed qcacld-3.0 to enable WiFi on the ZenPhone 8 which worked for us on Fold Z3 too.

Source

The source code for leanKernel is available at:

Build Script: https://github.com/cawilliamson/android_build_q2q_kernel
Kernel Sources: https://github.com/cawilliamson/android_kernel_samsung_q2q

Last edited:
Not a Fold 3 owner, so sorry to intrude. I just happened to notice you were crediting StarKissed with the SafetyNet bypass code written by kerneltoast and updated by kdrag0n. I would have posted it as an issue on Github, but they're disabled.

I happened to look around when I was there and also noticed that you probably haven't disabled avb, unless it was luck or you are using code not published.

You removed "CONFIG_BUILD_ARM64_DT_OVERLAY=y" from the build command, but did not change the disabled config flag. Your dtb / dtbo changes are skipped. You also aren't copying a dtb / dtbo into the release, so the ones used by the kernel would be the stock version without the avb change.

Reactions: chrisaw

chrisaw

Jun 12, 2007
Not a Fold 3 owner, so sorry to intrude. I just happened to notice you were crediting StarKissed with the SafetyNet bypass code written by kerneltoast and updated by kdrag0n. I would have posted it as an issue on Github, but they're disabled.

I happened to look around when I was there and also noticed that you probably haven't disabled avb, unless it was luck or you are using code not published.

You removed "CONFIG_BUILD_ARM64_DT_OVERLAY=y" from the build command, but did not change the disabled config flag. Your dtb / dtbo changes are skipped. You also aren't copying a dtb / dtbo into the release, so the ones used by the kernel would be the stock version without the avb change.
You are ALWAYS welcome here! I was actually looking at your source code the other day - was some really awesome additions - great job!

I'll amend the commit to credit the fine folks you mentioned - thanks for bringing that to my attention! I'll enable issues on GitHub too - must be a default or something that they changed.

The CONFIG_BUILD_ARM64_DT_OVERLAY flag you mentioned is actually just present in my build scripts under "KERNEL_MAKE_ENV" - I removed the build_kernel.sh script from the repo entirely.

You are, however, spot on about the fact that the avb changes wont actually happen because I'm not packing up the dtbo - thanks for that! I'll fix that in the next build! :)

• Love
Reactions: twistedumbrella
You are ALWAYS welcome here! I was actually looking at your source code the other day - was some really awesome additions - great job!

I'll amend the commit to credit the fine folks you mentioned - thanks for bringing that to my attention! I'll enable issues on GitHub too - must be a default or something that they changed.

The CONFIG_BUILD_ARM64_DT_OVERLAY flag you mentioned is actually just present in my build scripts under "KERNEL_MAKE_ENV" - I removed the build_kernel.sh script from the repo entirely.

You are, however, spot on about the fact that the avb changes wont actually happen because I'm not packing up the dtbo - thanks for that! I'll fix that in the next build! :)

Thanks. I was actually looking through yours to figure out how Knox and SELinux are being handled these days. It's good to see leanKernel. That was always a personal favorite.

I am glad to hear I missed the flag, honestly. I was confused how you had built an Image-dtb without it and starting to question if I was trying to break stuff building for the Flip with it.

• Love
Reactions: chrisaw

chrisaw

Jun 12, 2007
Thanks. I was actually looking through yours to figure out how Knox and SELinux are being handled these days. It's good to see leanKernel. That was always a personal favorite.

I am glad to hear I missed the flag, honestly. I was confused how you had built an Image-dtb without it and starting to question if I was trying to break stuff building for the Flip with it.
If you're interested in these Samsung flipping and folding devices - you should join us on Telegram: https://t.me/infinityflex :)

Topic of the week is, of course, the bootloader disabled camera on the fold z3 but we have some flip users too! I'd know - my wife is one! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description

This is the first publicly released build of leanKernel for the Samsung Galaxy Z3 Fold.

Please be aware - this kernel does *NOT* currently include any fixes for the camera issue on Z3 Fold since none are known at this time. If a fix is found and kernel changes are needed - I will include them going forward.

Download

Google Drive

Changelog

leanKernel-1

- Compiled with clang 11.x
    - Embedded needed firmware in to kernel
    - Spoof stock kernel defconfig to prevent "device is damaged" warning
    - Built ALL modules directly in to kernel
    - Added datarmnet + datarmnet-ext to enable mobile data
    - Added qcacld-3.0 to enable wifi
    - Disabled EDAC for battery savings
    - Spoof verifiedbootstate to pass SafetyNet (will still need Universal Safetynet Fix for other reasons though)
    - Disabled KNOX_NCM
    - Disabled Coresight debugging
    - Added Wireguard
    - Enabled power efficient work queues
    - Set schedutil as default CPU scheduler
    - Added a bunch of TCP/IP algos and set westwood as default
    - Disabled KPERFMON
    - Added Boeffla Wakelock Blocker (with no defaults blocked)
    - Added KCAL
    - Added KLAPSE 5.0
    - Added a sysfs interface for use_spi_crc and enabled by default (/sys/kernel/mmc/use_api_crc)
    - Added kAdaway ad blocking and disabled by default (/sys/kernel/leankernel/use_kadaway)

Thanks

@ianmacd - countless ideas and lots of his code went in to making this kernel possible.
    @Mentalmuso - provided both help and code to get mobile data working on this device.
    @tbalden - implemented his kAdaway functionality and adapted it for a root-enabled environment.
    whatawurst on GitHub - fixed qcacld-3.0 to enable WiFi on the ZenPhone 8 which worked for us on Fold Z3 too.

Source

The source code for leanKernel is available at:

Build Script: https://github.com/cawilliamson/android_build_q2q_kernel
    Kernel Sources: https://github.com/cawilliamson/android_kernel_samsung_q2q

If you're interested in these Samsung flipping and folding devices - you should join us on Telegram: https://t.me/infinityflex :)

Topic of the week is, of course, the bootloader disabled camera on the fold z3 but we have some flip users too! I'd know - my wife is one! :D
    First Kernel out - good work!!