• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][LINARO][EOL]DorimanX kernel for LOS14.1

How's the battery life on my kernel?

• Much better than stock LOS

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Slightly better than stock LOS

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • About the same/I can't tell

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Slightly worse than stock LOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Much worse than stock LOS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Hey pal..

Your issue happened on mine too..
I'm using LOS14.1..
Without flashing dori, boots okay..
After flashing dori, only able to go dorimanx logo..
Can't go further, and then hot restarted it self..

And me too, i'm using i9100g lcd display panel.. :D

By the way, have you found the solve??
There must be some script that is conflicting with your display panel. I'll have a look when I have time. And also if you didn't know, disabling post-init will restrict the functionality and the performance of the kernel.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Oct 15, 2011
@Saber - Do you think your kernel would be ok to install on XenonHD ROM? It's based on LOS and uses an LOS kernel so I assume it would be compatible, but I figured I'd check first.

I was originally using Skyline's custom kernel but stuck with Xenon's default one a couple of flashes ago. Time to get tweaking again.

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
@Saber - Do you think your kernel would be ok to install on XenonHD ROM? It's based on LOS and uses an LOS kernel so I assume it would be compatible, but I figured I'd check first.

I was originally using Skyline's custom kernel but stuck with Xenon's default one a couple of flashes ago. Time to get tweaking again.

It's too much outdated for new builds and not recommended. Since the dori is released for N I think there is no point in continuing that one

Apex Predator

Oct 15, 2011
It's too much outdated for new builds and not recommended. Since the dori is released for N I think there is no point in continuing that one

Yeah that's why I switched to the stock Lineage kernel a while back. I am keen to check this Dorimanx one out but I figured I'd check first if it's likely to work. I'm guessing it will probably be ok.....but I have now read through the whole thread and I see that if I have any issues I can't get help here since I'm not on vanilla LOS.

I will probably take the risk with it after my next ROM flash, due any day now. What's the best way to back up the stock LOS kernel? I don't want to have to re-flash the whole ROM if things go wrong. I tried an old version of Flashify but when i select the LOS kernel to back up, the app just freezes/does nothing. AFAIK there is no other "easy" way to back up the kernel only to a flashable zip for a quick revert...is there?

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
Yeah that's why I switched to the stock Lineage kernel a while back. I am keen to check this Dorimanx one out but I figured I'd check first if it's likely to work. I'm guessing it will probably be ok.....but I have now read through the whole thread and I see that if I have any issues I can't get help here since I'm not on vanilla LOS.

I will probably take the risk with it after my next ROM flash, due any day now. What's the best way to back up the stock LOS kernel? I don't want to have to re-flash the whole ROM if things go wrong. I tried an old version of Flashify but when i select the LOS kernel to back up, the app just freezes/does nothing. AFAIK there is no other "easy" way to back up the kernel only to a flashable zip for a quick revert...is there?

If you only restore stock LOS kernel on top of Dori phone will stuck in bootloop. So, better to take complete backup in twrp before flashing Dori

Apex Predator

Oct 15, 2011
If you only restore stock LOS kernel on top of Dori phone will stuck in bootloop. So, better to take complete backup in twrp before flashing Dori

That makes sense I guess. It would be easier to revert from full backup than a dirty flash huh.

Edit: in that case it's probably best for me to try it in this order to make things a bit more efficient. BEFORE flashing new version of ROM I make a backup ---> then flash Dori and play around, test stability, tweak etc ---> if all OK flash latest ROM, Gapps and Dori---test more with Dori on new ROM and hope for the best. If all goes well I stick with it, if not reflash ROM and Gapps without Dori.

Last edited:

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz

It might be okay, although I haven't seen any recent reports of it working. Basically, the further away the ROM code base is from Lineage, the higher the chance the kernel will not run (or break). Just do a full backup beforehand.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
@Saber @wawa9292 Hello guys,
Finally got some time to find root cause of stuck at bootlogo with i9100g display panel (I'm not sure if this is the main problem) but I am able to boot now.
Following piece of code from '/sbin/ext/system_tune_on_init.sh' script causes device to reboot from bootlogo again and again.
Code:
# check if gps or battery failed to init on reboot
GPS_ERR_CHECK=$($BB dmesg | $BB grep -w "k3g_probe : Device indentification failed" | $BB wc -l);
BATTERY_CHECK=$($BB dmesg | $BB grep -w "max8997_muic_charger_cb: fail to get battery ps" | $BB wc -l);
if [ "$GPS_ERR_CHECK" -eq "1" ] || ["$BATTERY_CHECK" -eq "1"]; then
	sync;
	reboot;
fi;

I tried removing usage of BATTERY_CHECK and GPS_ERR_CHECK variable simultaneously from code given above. Result shows BATTERY_CHECK mainly causing device to reboot from bootlogo. Also tried same with GPS_ERR_CHECK and result was device atleast boots fine after 1-2 reboots from bootlogo.
Main reason of why battery failed to init on reboot still unknown to me. But since no one with default hardware is facing the same issue this may be OT here.

EDIT1: Still stweaks shows 'no kernel support'
EDIT2: Solved! All good :)

Last edited:
Reactions: chhapil and Saber

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
@Skyline
Thanks for finding out the root cause of the issue.

However, the "fix" described is actually removing a workaround placed by dorimanx a long time ago where on some cases, rebooting with usb plugged may cause the battery and GPS driver to not load. Not sure if it still applies to my current kernel as there has been many changes since the commit. For now, users that have the same issue with rebooting (due to hardware changes, etc) can manually remove the lines, as I don't want to remove the workaround for everyone else without the issue.

I might be able to find ways around the reboot issue, but I haven't found time to work on my kernel lately :(

Regards, Josh

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
@Skyline

However, the "fix" described is actually removing a workaround placed by dorimanx a long time ago where on some cases, rebooting with usb plugged may cause the battery and GPS driver to not load. Not sure if it still applies to my current kernel as there has been many changes since the commit. For now, users that have the same issue with rebooting (due to hardware changes, etc) can manually remove the lines, as I don't want to remove the workaround for everyone else without the issue.

I might be able to find ways around the reboot issue, but I haven't found time to work on my kernel lately :(

Regards, Josh
I didn't removed GPS_ERR_CHECK and it's if condition so GPS should work.

This is completely OK. Since, same problem doesn't occur with normal I9100.
For me, I am able to compile your sources with those changes that allows my device to boot and it feels good while using dori on my device again ;)

Last edited:

wawa9292

Jan 9, 2012
Trenggalek
@Saber @wawa9292 Hello guys,
Finally got some time to find root cause of stuck at bootlogo with i9100g display panel (I'm not sure if this is the main problem) but I am able to boot now.
Following piece of code from '/sbin/ext/system_tune_on_init.sh' script causes device to reboot from bootlogo again and again.
Code:
# check if gps or battery failed to init on reboot
GPS_ERR_CHECK=$($BB dmesg | $BB grep -w "k3g_probe : Device indentification failed" | $BB wc -l);
BATTERY_CHECK=$($BB dmesg | $BB grep -w "max8997_muic_charger_cb: fail to get battery ps" | $BB wc -l);
if [ "$GPS_ERR_CHECK" -eq "1" ] || ["$BATTERY_CHECK" -eq "1"]; then
	sync;
	reboot;
fi;

I tried removing usage of BATTERY_CHECK and GPS_ERR_CHECK variable simultaneously from code given above. Result shows BATTERY_CHECK mainly causing device to reboot from bootlogo. Also tried same with GPS_ERR_CHECK and result was device atleast boots fine after 1-2 reboots from bootlogo.
Main reason of why battery failed to init on reboot still unknown to me. But since no one with default hardware is facing the same issue this may be OT here.

EDIT1: Still stweaks shows 'no kernel support'
EDIT2: Solved! All good :)

Great thanks & great discovery yo do @Skyline, i'm really sorry for the late respons..
Really busy with work..
sure i'll try your way..

Edit : Btw, can you share your personal compile of dorimanx that you mention before?? (the one that works with our special case i9100G display panel)
Thanks

@Skyline

Regards, Josh
No need to haste @Saber
We all know everyone have a Real Life..
:highfive: quite glad knowing there is someone who still care of this old device.. ;)

Last edited:

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
Great thanks & great discovery yo do @Skyline, i'm really sorry for the late respons..
Really busy with work..
sure i'll try your way..

Edit : Btw, can you share your personal compile of dorimanx that you mention before?? (the one that works with our special case i9100G display panel)
Thanks

I am not sure if the problem is actually our phone's display but the battery. I will PM you the download link asap

Reactions: wawa9292

bushwakko

Mar 14, 2016
I'm running newest RR with this kernel. I first installed a different kernel (Custom Kernel 27-03, also by Saber) but realized it was older and that this one probably was better. However, I get some very bad behavior with it, like everything freezing for minutes at a time, and chrome being extremely slow. Re-installing RR to get the RR-kernel doesn't work, it boots correctly, but I only get a black screen with no content when booted. Holding the power button will give me the reboot menu. Is this because I was stupid enough to install an old kernel first? And if so, is the only way to fix this to do another clean install?

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
I'm running newest RR with this kernel. I first installed a different kernel (Custom Kernel 27-03, also by Saber) but realized it was older and that this one probably was better. However, I get some very bad behavior with it, like everything freezing for minutes at a time, and chrome being extremely slow. Re-installing RR to get the RR-kernel doesn't work, it boots correctly, but I only get a black screen with no content when booted. Holding the power button will give me the reboot menu. Is this because I was stupid enough to install an old kernel first? And if so, is the only way to fix this to do another clean install?

You have problem with CustomKernel by me or Dorimanx Kernel by saber?
If you have problem with my kernel then this is wrong thread else if you have problem specified above with Dori by saber then it's already known and listed in OP

Last edited:

bushwakko

Mar 14, 2016
You have problem with CustomKernel by me or Dorimanx Kernel by saber?
If you have problem with my kernel then this is wrong thread else if you have problem specified above with Dori by saber then it's already known and listed in OP

Sorry, I might have misunderstood who made what here. I am currently running Dori, but I installed CustomKernel before that. I see from OP now that "- Allow users to revert kernel back to stock with everything working" is a TO DO. Is there something I can do to make reverting work again, other than clean installing? I mean, I assume it changes something outside the kernel blob itself that I could possibly revert manually? Could CustomKernel have similar reverting issues as well, so that I might take that into account as well?

Skyline

Mar 31, 2014
Mumbai
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro
Sorry, I might have misunderstood who made what here. I am currently running Dori, but I installed CustomKernel before that. I see from OP now that "- Allow users to revert kernel back to stock with everything working" is a TO DO. Is there something I can do to make reverting work again, other than clean installing? I mean, I assume it changes something outside the kernel blob itself that I could possibly revert manually? Could CustomKernel have similar reverting issues as well, so that I might take that into account as well?

CustomKernel don't have same problem as Dori, but it's outdated now so I removed kernel link from CustomKernel thread OP to avoid further issues.

To solve your problem, may be clean wipe is the only solution.: (

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
I see from OP now that "- Allow users to revert kernel back to stock with everything working" is a TO DO. Is there something I can do to make reverting work again, other than clean installing? I mean, I assume it changes something outside the kernel blob itself that I could possibly revert manually?
Unfortunately, without a backup of the original system, you can't restore the ROM /w original kernel by dirty flashing. To be more accurate, a lot of basic functionality will be broken if you just flash ROM on top of DorimanX kernel.

There currently isn't any way around this, as the kernel requires some modification to the ROM in order to get it working (replacing sepolicy and selinux files with custom build, etc).

Reactions: ze7zez

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Announcement. Please read!

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about leaving behind S2 development for a while, but this device never seems to die :)

Today I officially announce that kernel development has ended.

To be honest, I never expected so many users to support my kernel, especially since I have decided to build my kernels blindly, so thanks to all of the brave users for using my kernel :)

Blind builds in development is never a good idea. However, GreekDragon and Realex-fire gladly offered help and in turn we have a fully functioning kernel running on Nougat.

So where to now? There aren't any custom kernels being developed anymore!!!

As long as there's custom ROMs still being developed and there is a demand for more control over hardware, I'm sure someone on XDA or on the internet will come up with something :)

Regards, Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Logo.png
    Unofficial DorimanX builds by Saber (formerly gsstudios)

The Background:
    DorimanX development has stopped for a while now. I've been a long term dorimanx user, but I felt that a lot of features need to be implemented into the kernel. As of a result, I decided to make my own personal builds! Please note that I'm no way as good as the master himself, Dorimanx, but I try to implement features to the best of my abilities. Also, I'm not going to be a proper maintainer of dorimanx kernel, this is just what I've done in my spare time.

If you have problems or if anything goes wrong, you need to reflash your current ROM to revert kernel.

The Mission:
    To continue giving support for the much loved kernel. New features and additions will be added to improve flexibility and speed to the already amazing kernel. My goal is to improve DorimanX kernel as much as I can, without sacrificing stability.

DISCLAIMER:
    ONLY FOR LOS14.1 BASED ROMS
    I'm not responsible for bricked devices or wrong version flashing
    You are using this kernel at your own responsibility

——— !!!!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!! ———

FEATURES:
    This kernel includes the following additional features over stock dorimanX kernel:
    - CPU Governors: HYPER, Ondemand, pegasusQ, Intellidemand, neoX, darkness, nightmare, zzmoove, sleepy, conservative (Default: HYPER)
    - IO Schedulers: ROW, Tripndroid, FIOPS, SIOPlus, BFQ, CFQ, Noop, ZEN, Deadline (Default: ZEN)
    - TCP Algorithms: Cubic, Reno, BIC, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Veno, Scalable, Lp, Yeah, Illinois (Default: Westwood)
    - Built with optimised Linaro 4.9 Toolchain
    - Built-in Stweaks profiles updated (All profiles suit needs for most people now)
    - Trim support (Be careful if you have brickbug affected chip!)
    - Updated FPBug/Musicbug fix is already included in this kernel!
    - BLN and BLNWW support
    - Updated Linux Kernel version to 3.15.0 stable!
    - Freezefix is already included in this kernel!
    - Isorec support
    - MDNIE mode and scenario tuning
    - F2FS support

THINGS TO DO:
    - Allow users to revert kernel back to stock with everything working

THINGS I WILL NOT ADD:
    - LZ4 Compression (Our Boot partition is way too small to support this)
    - Useless CPU governors (such as Userspace)
    - Colour tuning support (Unless someone helps me with this)
    - Higher thermal limits (We all know what happens if we do this)
    - Higher overclocking/Lower underclocking capabilities (So you want less stability and more SODs?)
    - Synapse support (Stweaks is the only app that can fully support this kernel)
    - Linux Kernel version updates (My skills need to improve first before taking on something this big)

CREDITS:
    Dorimanx (the real master of the kernel)
    Gokhanmoral (Siyah Kernel)
    Voku1987(This Kernel)
    Alucard_24(This Kernel)
    STANTRC(This Kernel)
    Entropy512 (CyanogenMod)
    Tungstwenty (On screen gestures addon)
    Torvalds (Linux Kernel maintainer)
    Computoncio (This Kernel)
    cybernetus (This Kernel)
    stelistcristi (Contents of this post, updates)
    chhapil (Kernel build support, updates)
    Chet Kener (Linaro/UBER toolchain)
    Lanchon (TRIM fix and Isorec for Dorimanx)
    Zeitferne (FP Bug/Music Bug fix and freezefix)
    Lysergic Acid (LOS14.1)
    rINanDO (LOS14.1)
    serenitys (LOS14.1)
    Realex-fire (Marshmallow/Nougat support and kernel fixes)
    Skyline (Material Stweaks and testing)

DOWNLOAD:
    Refer to third post

CHANGELOG:
    Refer to second post

KERNEL SOURCE:
    Source code of the kernel can be found here:
    https://github.com/gsstudios/Dorimanx-SG2-I9100-Kernel
    https://github.com/gsstudios/initramfs3

ISSUES:
    - Users will lose a lot of functionality if they dirty flash ROM to restore kernel
    - If you reboot your phone, you may experience a large battery percentage drop
    - All dorimanx bugs

WHAT ROMS DO I SUPPORT?
    You should only flash this kernel on top of:
    - LineageOS 14.1

USEFUL LINKS
    CPU Governor and I/O Scheduler Guide
    DorimanX tuning guide
    TCP Algorithm guide

XDA:DevDB Information
    DorimanX kernel for LOS14.1 by Saber, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    Saber, dorimanx, Realex-fire
    Source Code: https://github.com/gsstudios/Dorimanx-SG2-I9100-Kernel

Kernel Special Features: See post #1

Version Information

Created 2017-07-25
    Last Updated 2017-09-19
    New build is up! :highfive:

Build: DorimanX 13.0 b005

Realex-fire (co-maintainer) has been hard at work merging and testing patches from Dorimanx OP3T kernel. Some of the changes will help improve CPU utilization and as of a result, more battery should be saved. There were many other changes throughout the kernel that you'll either have to find out in the changelogs or by testing out the new build. In other words, the general stability and the performance of the kernel should be better versus older builds.

Happy flashing, Josh ;)
    Announcement. Please read!

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about leaving behind S2 development for a while, but this device never seems to die :)

Today I officially announce that kernel development has ended.

To be honest, I never expected so many users to support my kernel, especially since I have decided to build my kernels blindly, so thanks to all of the brave users for using my kernel :)

Blind builds in development is never a good idea. However, GreekDragon and Realex-fire gladly offered help and in turn we have a fully functioning kernel running on Nougat.

So where to now? There aren't any custom kernels being developed anymore!!!

As long as there's custom ROMs still being developed and there is a demand for more control over hardware, I'm sure someone on XDA or on the internet will come up with something :)

Regards, Josh
    New build is out! ;)

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]DorimanX 13.0 b004[/B]
    - Synced scheduler and block changes from linux 3.16
    - Synced security/keys and selinux changes from linux 3.16
    - Synced kernel/fork, lmk and other changes from dorimanx
    - Temporarily disable playready DRM to fix package manager corruption issues
    - Remove powerHAL introduced in lineageOS to remove governor setting conflicts
    - Various script improvements thanks to @Realex-fire

As you can see, there have been many improvements throughout the kernel since the last build. As always, report any bugs/issues with a logcat or dmesg (with some exceptions inc. ROM compatibility).

Regards, Josh
    New kernel build is out, enjoy :highfive:

Changelog:
    Code:
    DorimanX 13.0 b002
    - Updated exfat from Dorimanx sources
    - Reverted the kernel's internal tick rate back to 250
    - Changed default governor to Nightmare
    - Stweaks profile updates
    - Enable adb autostart and insecure adb for debugging purposes

Fairly minor update compared to previous build, but it does include some worthwhile changes. As always, report any bugs with logs (if applicable) so I can help with the best of my abilities.

Also, if you're wondering why I've changed the default governor to Nightmare, it is because I want to experiment with the governors and see if it helps with stability and battery. I don't mean that HYPER is unstable (in fact, it's the exact opposite), I just want to ensure the best possible experience with my kernel. If you don't like the change, you can always change the governor in stweaks.

Regards, Josh