[Kernel][LOS/CAF][M/N] Linux 3.10 custom kernel v3

Search This thread

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
Trieste
Linux 3.10-based kernel for Oneplus One (bacon)

Info:
use this kernel at your own risk. Flashing it the wrong way might brick your device. I'm not responsible for any software/hardware damage.
This kernel is based on top of erorcun's 3.10 kernel. erorcun has spent an enormous time working on this project and he deserves a huge "Thank you" for having succeeded in one of the most difficult tasks in Android development: upgrading a device to a newer Linux release.

Features:
v3 (12th December)
  • built with O3 optimizations
  • CAF CPU boosting driver (replaces cpu_input_boost - might be a temporary switch)
  • kernel code base updated to Linux 3.10.60
  • sdcardfs updates
  • minor miscellaneous improvements

old releases:

v2.1
  • minor stability fix

v2 (12th November)
  • kernel code base updates reverted, then re-applied only up to 3.10.54
  • compiled with an improved set of GCC flags
  • tuned AIO for SSD-only machines

v1 (30th October)
  • built with GCC 5, UBER Toolchain and the optimal compiler flags for Krait CPUs
  • kernel code base upgraded to Linux 3.10.88
  • power-efficient workqueues
  • sound control by francisconfranco
  • CPU voltage control
  • cpu_input_boost by Sultanxda
  • sdcardfs & f2fs support
  • support for both LineageOS's and Sultan's camera HALs

Compatibility
The kernel is compatible with all the Marshmallow/Nougat ROMs that use either LineageOS's camera HAL or Sultan's (a.k.a. CAF's). Just make sure you download the right version ;)
Currently, the kernel has been tested only on LineageOS 14.1, but I'm sure the CAF build is safe to flash and works properly as well.
The kernel doesn't work on Oreo (yet)!

Download
The kernel can be download from AFH: 3.10 kernel on AndroidFileHost

Thanks to:
erorcun, franciscofranco, Sultanxda, CAF & UBER, Mecca EL.

XDA:DevDB Information
Tom's Linux 3.10 kernel, Kernel for the OnePlus One

Contributors
Tomoms, erorcun
Source Code: https://github.com/Tomoms/neon_kernel_bacon

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.0
Stable Release Date: 2017-12-12

Created 2017-10-30
Last Updated 2017-12-12

Fatsodonkey

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you for this. :)

Don't know if it's your Lineage rom or this kernel, but video that i record is really stuttery. Like very janky.

I recorded the video with the build-in snap camera.

Last edited:

Fatsodonkey

Apr 22, 2011
Could you tell me the exact resolution you used?

Happens with all resolutions. I already tested Sultans Lineage as well with this kernel and the same thing happens. Don't know if it tries to record it too fast as it seems to be too quick and stutters a lot.

The Los kernel seems to work fine with video recording altough i just dirty flashed it on top of Boefflas kernel.

E:It definetly is the kernel that is causing the stutter.

Last edited:

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
Trieste
Happens with all resolutions. I already tested Sultans Lineage as well with this kernel and the same thing happens. Don't know if it tries to record it too fast as it seems to be too quick and stutters a lot.

The Los kernel seems to work fine with video recording altough i just dirty flashed it on top of Boefflas kernel.

E:It definetly is the kernel that is causing the stutter.

I'll compare the camera driver present in this kernel and the one in Sultan's kernel, then try to fix this. Unfortunately at the moment this is the best thing we can achieve, CAF camera support had always got some small problems even in erorcun's build if I recall correctly, and these problems are inevitably "inherited" by my kernel.

TbMa

Mar 30, 2010
Thank you for working on this, I was looking forward to release since I saw your announcement in erorcun's thread.
Firstly i tried to dirty flash kernel on top of LineageOS build (N) by idprophecy, since i got positive experience changing kernels (3.4 ones) this way even with encrypted phone. So when i tried to boot up with new kernel, unfortunately it did not work and phone says my password is correct but encryption partition is broken and i need to hard reset.
I went to clean install, removed encryption and flash same LinOS build + your kernel. Then i encrypted phone again and everything went fine. However now my TWRP refuses password for decrypting partitions (its was like that in early N development for bacon on many roms).
Overall perfomance is not really smooth comparing with 3.4 kernels, but i didnt bothered to play with kernel setting.
Also i cant get MTP working, phone only charging via usb and PC (Windows) cannot see its memory.

I know this report is probably useless without kmsg logs, but i didnt have time to pull them off, so sorry about that. I try do it later

Mecca EL

Dec 26, 2014
Raleigh
Thank you for working on this, I was looking forward to release since I saw your announcement in erorcun's thread.
Firstly i tried to dirty flash kernel on top of LineageOS build (N) by idprophecy, since i got positive experience changing kernels (3.4 ones) this way even with encrypted phone. So when i tried to boot up with new kernel, unfortunately it did not work and phone says my password is correct but encryption partition is broken and i need to hard reset.
I went to clean install, removed encryption and flash same LinOS build + your kernel. Then i encrypted phone again and everything went fine. However now my TWRP refuses password for decrypting partitions (its was like that in early N development for bacon on many roms).
Overall perfomance is not really smooth comparing with 3.4 kernels, but i didnt bothered to play with kernel setting.
Also i cant get MTP working, phone only charging via usb and PC (Windows) cannot see its memory.

I know this report is probably useless without kmsg logs, but i didnt have time to pull them off, so sorry about that. I try do it later

Definitely would need a log, to see what the issue is, with your experiences.

I've been alpha and beta testing this kernel, and I'm not experiencing any of the problems you and other users are describing. Clean install @idprophecy LOS14.1, flash this kernel, reboot back to recovery and flash MagiskSU, enjoy an ultra responsive OPO.

Tomoms

Feb 15, 2014
Trieste

I faced the same MTP problem when I started developing this kernel several months ago. But I'm sure it appeared at a later stage of development. So MTP shouldn't be an issue as of now. Also, according to @Mecca EL, there should be a substantial performance improvement.

I've been alpha and beta testing this kernel, and I'm not experiencing any of the problems you and other users are describing. Clean install @idprophecy LOS14.1, flash this kernel, reboot back to recovery and flash MagiskSU, enjoy an ultra responsive OPO.

So can you confirm MTP is working on this kernel? What about video recording? Is it lagging or not? I still haven't had enough time to thoroughly try my own kernel :/
Thank you.

Last edited:

TbMa

Mar 30, 2010

What about encryption? Are your TWRP able to decrypt data with this kernel?

Mecca EL

Dec 26, 2014
Raleigh
I faced the same MTP problem when I started developing this kernel several months ago. But I'm sure it appeared at a later stage of development. So MTP shouldn't be an issue as of now. Also, according to @Mecca EL, there should be a substantial performance improvement.

So can you confirm MTP is working on this kernel? What about video recording? Is it lagging or not? I still haven't had enough time to thoroughly try my own kernel :/
Thank you.

I'll double check, and do a complete run down on this latest one, in case it differs from the last one you sent me.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

What about encryption? Are your TWRP able to decrypt data with this kernel?
I've not set encryption. I've seen way too many problems with that across almost all android devices. I'll see if it's not too much trouble to set and test for you, if I'm able to revert to unencrypted easily.

TbMa

Mar 30, 2010
I'll double check, and do a complete run down on this latest one, in case it differs from the last one you sent me.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

I've not set encryption. I've seen way too many problems with that across almost all android devices. I'll see if it's not too much trouble to set and test for you, if I'm able to revert to unencrypted easily.

Well i am using encryption since early MM and not a single problem if developer of rom and kernel did his work fine. Biggest payoff its hit battery.
Unfortunately you cant revert encryption without formating whole internal storage, so its a little bit complicated with backups and etc :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Linux 3.10-based kernel for Oneplus One (bacon)

Info:
    use this kernel at your own risk. Flashing it the wrong way might brick your device. I'm not responsible for any software/hardware damage.
    This kernel is based on top of erorcun's 3.10 kernel. erorcun has spent an enormous time working on this project and he deserves a huge "Thank you" for having succeeded in one of the most difficult tasks in Android development: upgrading a device to a newer Linux release.

Features:
    v3 (12th December)
    • built with O3 optimizations
    • CAF CPU boosting driver (replaces cpu_input_boost - might be a temporary switch)
    • kernel code base updated to Linux 3.10.60
    • sdcardfs updates
    • minor miscellaneous improvements

old releases:

v2.1
    • minor stability fix

v2 (12th November)
    • kernel code base updates reverted, then re-applied only up to 3.10.54
    • compiled with an improved set of GCC flags
    • tuned AIO for SSD-only machines

v1 (30th October)
    • built with GCC 5, UBER Toolchain and the optimal compiler flags for Krait CPUs
    • kernel code base upgraded to Linux 3.10.88
    • power-efficient workqueues
    • sound control by francisconfranco
    • CPU voltage control
    • cpu_input_boost by Sultanxda
    • sdcardfs & f2fs support
    • support for both LineageOS's and Sultan's camera HALs

Compatibility
    The kernel is compatible with all the Marshmallow/Nougat ROMs that use either LineageOS's camera HAL or Sultan's (a.k.a. CAF's). Just make sure you download the right version ;)
    Currently, the kernel has been tested only on LineageOS 14.1, but I'm sure the CAF build is safe to flash and works properly as well.
    The kernel doesn't work on Oreo (yet)!

Download
    The kernel can be download from AFH: 3.10 kernel on AndroidFileHost

Thanks to:
    erorcun, franciscofranco, Sultanxda, CAF & UBER, Mecca EL.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Tom's Linux 3.10 kernel, Kernel for the OnePlus One

Contributors
    Tomoms, erorcun
    Source Code: https://github.com/Tomoms/neon_kernel_bacon

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.0
    Stable Release Date: 2017-12-12

Created 2017-10-30
    Last Updated 2017-12-12
    I have reboots when it comes to rest, right after the screen shut down automatically, when the battery is charging this does not happen

I might manage to fix this with a new kernel within a few hours.

EDIT: new kernels are uploaded. I'm here waiting for (good, I hope) news :)
    Hey guys! The new update should fix the MTP functionality and improve general performance and filesystem read/write speeds :)
    I'd be really happy to read your feedback as I didn't even test this kernel.
    Happy flashing!
    Performance one this Kernel is just awesome working smoothly but color control is not working in kernel auditer
    That's one of the bugs that this kernel has inherited from its parent (erorcun's 3.10 kernel). I'll add to the first post a list of all the known bugs. Anyway, I'm glad to know that the kernel is smooth.

I've installed it on Unofficial RR CAF and so far only noticed that sometimes button backlight is not turning off when screen goes off. No reboots so far. Good job.

Update:
    Noticed that Aliexpress app fc's on this kernel.

Wysłane z mojego A0001 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    I remember that button backlight bug! Have you ever faced it using erorcun's kernel (provided that you've tried it in the past)? I'm pretty sure I've used the Aliexpress app with this kernel in the past, anyway I'll try to find out what's wrong.

Lately I've been busy with my ROM and its 3.4-based kernel, but in the next weeks I plan to focus more on this kernel :)
    Hi @Tomoms, if you don't mind me asking, was the problem with f2fs encryption for /data and /cache ever addressed?
    Hello. No, it wasn't... I wish I had the time to continue this project. I don't consider it dead, but it's very unlikely that I will update it anytime soon. Anyway, this doesn't mean that I will never resume it. Let's wait and see what happens :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone