[Kernel] [MM] [OC] Werewolf Kernel v001 - 25/01/2016

Search This thread

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Alright guys, the time has come :D

As you already might have seen around here, I recently got this device and also started working on it.
Deep down in my heart I am more of a kernel dev than a ROM dev, which is why my first real contribution just had to be a kernel.
And not just any kernel, a wild one even: It's time to unleash the Werewolf in our tablet ;)

As usual, my main goal is to get the best performance out of the device, especially for gaming.
I have been working with Tegra SoC's before, so I can probably make use of my previous experiences.

Now, enough with the chit-chat, time to look at the

Features
  • Patched CONFIG_KEYS vulnerability
  • CPU OC (up to 2.5GHz, default is stock 2.2GHz)
  • GPU OC (924MHz)
  • Custom I/O Schedulers (SIO, FIOPS, BFQ, CFQ, Deadline) with FIOPS as default
  • Ported ElementalX governor
  • [WIP] Added S2w and DT2W (experimental, not fully working --> use on your own risk!)
  • Added exFAT support
  • Added fsync toggle
  • KSM turned on by default with deferred timer
  • Added /dev/frandom support
  • Various TCP tweaks (enabled westwood as default TCP congestion control)

Requirements
  • MM bootloader and any MM ROM (should work on all ROMs running the MM kernel natively like CM13 or Bliss)
  • TWRP or any other custom recovery
  • fastboot environment

Installation
  1. Download both the devicetree blob and the kernel zip
  2. Boot into the bootloader and flash the DTB (fastboot flash dtb tegra124-tn8-p1761-1270-a04-e-battery.dtb)
  3. Boot into TWRP and install the zip
  4. Reboot and feel the Werewolf's power ;)

Bugs
  • S2W and DT2W not working when device is in deep sleep and touch may stop working when it was sleeping for too long

Direct download links
Werewolf_v001_anykernel-2016-01-25_1912.zip.zip
tegra124-tn8-p1761-1270-a04-e-battery.dtb

Feel free to look at this as a sneak-peek, I am far from done with getting the best out of this device ;)

Please let me know what you think

XDA:DevDB Information
Werewolf Kernel, Kernel for the Nvidia Shield Tablet

Contributors
laufersteppenwolf
Source Code: https://github.com/laufersteppenwolf/android_kernel_nvidia_shieldtablet

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v001
Stable Release Date: 2016-01-25

Created 2016-01-25
Last Updated 2016-01-26

KCKitsune

Mar 7, 2011
Is there a way to disable S2w and DT2W? I use the magnetic cover and don't need to double tap to wake.

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Any reason why we can't just flash a zip version :eek:? Just wont be at a computer anytime soon thats why :)

I had to raise the EDP limit as well as the freq table in the dtb in order to reach the oc freqs. You can try it without flashing the dtb, but I can't promise it'll work the way it should

Is there a way to disable S2w and DT2W? I use the magnetic cover and don't need to double tap to wake.

Both features are disabled by default. If you want to try it out you'll have to enable it first ;)

skooter32

Sep 12, 2015
Bit lost dev earlier the dtb flashed via fastboot no problems but i had to do a factory reset cause a was getting fcs but now its not working command write failed no such device or adress any ideas cheers

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Bit lost dev earlier the dtb flashed via fastboot no problems but i had to do a factory reset cause a was getting fcs but now its not working command write failed no such device or adress any ideas cheers
Edit using bliss rom mm

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Edit using bliss rom mm
Edit done it now strange

Reactions: BitOBSessiOn

Nikownzyu

Jan 27, 2016
It works! But

So i installed it no problem cpu overclocks to 2.5GHz.

Kernel same page merging is fine .

Elemental x is great.

The the double tap to wake is buggy like it works once then stops working until i disable it then renable it.

My biggest problem is the same i have with EVERY SHIELD TABLET KERNEL YOU KERNEL DEVOLPERS CLAIM IS....... The gpu freq

You say its at 924 but the highest it goes in benchmarks and other apps is 540 and i cant overclock in kerner tuners like

Kernel auidtor
Device control
Kernel tuner
Etc....
All of them say no gpu tweaks.

I will like to point out i am running your kernel on the OG shield tablet not the new model but the old one running a version of android 6.0 that was converted from the new model shield to work on the og shield tablet stock rom so i thought ok lets try blisspop 6.0 and still nothing if you could be one of the first kernel modders to ACTUALLY get the the gpu to overclock and not give up or go quiet like the other kernel modders for this tablet then i swear the community for this tablet will make a satue of you because no one can seem to overclock this thing because they all give up but thanks anyways finally a 6.0 stock kernel that lets me overclock to 2.5ghz and secretly IVE ALAWYS wanted double tap to wake on this thing so if you could fix that as well id be super excited to donate ;)

Reactions: joethc

BitOBSessiOn

I had to raise the EDP limit as well as the freq table in the dtb in order to reach the oc freqs. You can try it without flashing the dtb, but I can't promise it'll work the way it should

Both features are disabled by default. If you want to try it out you'll have to enable it first ;)
It's weird, because after testing I decided about no raising voltage in BitO-KX series (safety and eco criteria) and it seemed to be stable at max OC, but now I get RR at max freq with your kernel if I don't flash dtb, so I suspect Nvidia had readjusted something in MM kernel... Have you faced this?

Thnx for your great work.

Exile1975

Dec 3, 2011
Hi, first I'd like to say thank you for this kernel, I'm super stoked to try it. But I have some questions/fears to resolve first.

If I don't want to overclock do I still need to flash the dtb?

Is there a stock dtb that could be uploaded in case someone wants to revert to stock? Or would I be able to accomplish this simply by restoring a twrp backup?

Anyway, thanks again

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com

Elemental x is great.

The the double tap to wake is buggy like it works once then stops working until i disable it then renable it.

My biggest problem is the same i have with EVERY SHIELD TABLET KERNEL YOU KERNEL DEVOLPERS CLAIM IS....... The gpu freq

You say its at 924 but the highest it goes in benchmarks and other apps is 540 and i cant overclock in kerner tuners like

Kernel auidtor
Device control
Kernel tuner
Etc....

I will like to point out i am running your kernel on the OG shield tablet not the new model but the old one running a version of android 6.0 that was converted from the new model shield to work on the og shield tablet stock rom so i thought ok lets try blisspop 6.0 and still nothing if you could be one of the first kernel modders to ACTUALLY get the the gpu to overclock and not give up or go quiet like the other kernel modders for this tablet then i swear the community for this tablet will make a satue of you because no one can seem to overclock this thing because they all give up but thanks anyways finally a 6.0 stock kernel that lets me overclock to 2.5ghz and secretly IVE ALAWYS wanted double tap to wake on this thing so if you could fix that as well id be super excited to donate ;)

First of all, how do you check the freq during the benchmarks?
I've been running antutu, and the GPU was properly using 924MHz (otherwise I wouldn't have said so)

Furthermore, you don't need to manually OC the GPU, it is OC'd by default simply because of the fact that no kernel tweaking app supported K1 GPUs up until now.
In the future the recommended app will be Device Control because that's what I am using myself. In the coming builds of DC, K1 GPU tweaks will be available there as I have added support for our GPU to Device Control: https://github.com/Evisceration/DeviceControl/commit/b2d4872869d1eda517c47588b83b6f3f895aaa01

DT2W and S2W are still on my list of course, and I'm sure the original shield will also be able to OC the GPU ;)

It's weird, because after testing I decided about no raising voltage in BitO-KX series (safety and eco criteria) and it seemed to be stable at max OC, but now I get RR at max freq with your kernel if I don't flash dtb, so I suspect Nvidia had readjusted something in MM kernel... Have you faced this?

Hmm, no random reboots for me. I do have the dtb flashed, though. When do those reboots happen? During sleep, while playing,...?
Comparing the LP kernel to the MM kernel, quite a lot more stuff has moved into the dtb (like throttling, edp and power limits,...), which makes flashing the dtb even more important. Not sure, though, if they have also changed something regarding the actual voltage levels (except making it harder to add a proper UV interface).

Hi, first I'd like to say thank you for this kernel, I'm super stoked to try it. But I have some questions/fears to resolve first.

Is there a stock dtb that could be uploaded in case someone wants to revert to stock? Or would I be able to accomplish this simply by restoring a twrp backup?

Anyway, thanks again

Yes, flashing the dtb is always recommended.
No, TWRP does not make a backup of the dtb partition, I think I have a backup somewhere, though. I could upload it if needed ;)

Nikownzyu

Jan 27, 2016
Ok so i check the freq in file manager system log you find more details about the benchmark like 3dmarks slingshot and whatnot so ok

I feel like an idiot could the reason be because i disnt flash the dtb? Because i forgot?
By the way i use AIDA64 and go to display the gpu goes from like 52 to 924 and i noticed while not using your kernel the maximum is like 824 witch is weird i could have SWORN on 5.0 stock kernel the maximum was 924 anyways it says it can go up to 924 but it stays at 524 i even run the device in max performance and run the benchmark and the app in MM's new multitask feature side by side and it stays at 524 while doing the most demading benchmark ever the 3dmark slingshot one also i benchmarked both using your kernel and not using your kernel and actually scored 80 points lower using yours (witch my highest is like 2480) but im sure this was because i didnt know kernel samepage merging was left on by default by the way is not good for benvhmarks obviously but good for games. But i will say the higher cpu overclock got me more fps in the CPU stress section of 3dmarks slingshot test (by the way all these tests are done on the 1440p one) basically what im getting at here is my device isnt overclocking but maybe thats because i didnt flash the dtb but i didnt think that mattered i will check back later after flashing it and seeing if my reaults are fortunate.

****EDIT**** so after flashing the dtb everything is still the same :/ what do you think im doing wrong is there any way i can send a system log or something i really want GPU overclocking :)

Last edited:

philipp21897

Nov 17, 2014
I've been running antutu, and the GPU was properly using 924MHz (otherwise I wouldn't have said so)

Furthermore, you don't need to manually OC the GPU, it is OC'd by default simply because of the fact that no kernel tweaking app supported K1 GPUs up until now.
In the future the recommended app will be Device Control because that's what I am using myself. In the coming builds of DC, K1 GPU tweaks will be available there as I have added support for our GPU to Device Control: https://github.com/Evisceration/DeviceControl/commit/b2d4872869d1eda517c47588b83b6f3f895aaa01

DT2W and S2W are still on my list of course, and I'm sure the original shield will also be able to OC the GPU ;)

Hmm, no random reboots for me. I do have the dtb flashed, though. When do those reboots happen? During sleep, while playing,...?
Comparing the LP kernel to the MM kernel, quite a lot more stuff has moved into the dtb (like throttling, edp and power limits,...), which makes flashing the dtb even more important. Not sure, though, if they have also changed something regarding the actual voltage levels (except making it harder to add a proper UV interface).

No, TWRP does not make a backup of the dtb partition, I think I have a backup somewhere, though. I could upload it if needed ;)
I didnt flashed the DTB and all is running fine and smooth without any reboots or something else. So my questions is Do I have to Flash it? @BitOBSessiOn said in his kernel thread that it is not necessary on the New mm bootloader. Thanks for your work!

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Ok so i check the freq in file manager system log you find more details about the benchmark like 3dmarks slingshot and whatnot so ok

I feel like an idiot could the reason be because i disnt flash the dtb? Because i forgot?
By the way i use AIDA64 and go to display the gpu goes from like 52 to 924 and i noticed while not using your kernel the maximum is like 824 witch is weird i could have SWORN on 5.0 stock kernel the maximum was 924 anyways it says it can go up to 924 but it stays at 524 i even run the device in max performance and run the benchmark and the app in MM's new multitask feature side by side and it stays at 524 while doing the most demading benchmark ever the 3dmark slingshot one also i benchmarked both using your kernel and not using your kernel and actually scored 80 points lower using yours (witch my highest is like 2480) but im sure this was because i didnt know kernel samepage merging was left on by default by the way is not good for benvhmarks obviously but good for games. But i will say the higher cpu overclock got me more fps in the CPU stress section of 3dmarks slingshot test (by the way all these tests are done on the 1440p one) basically what im getting at here is my device isnt overclocking but maybe thats because i didnt flash the dtb but i didnt think that mattered i will check back later after flashing it and seeing if my reaults are fortunate.

****EDIT**** so after flashing the dtb everything is still the same :/ what do you think im doing wrong is there any way i can send a system log or something i really want GPU overclocking :)

Alright, so I just did exactly what you described: installed AIDA64 and it really does show 540MHz as max current freq with only AIDA open. Then I went on running sling shot and reading the freq via adb a couple of times during the bench and the freq was hopping between 756 and 924MHz just like it should:
Code:
[email protected]:/ # cat /sys/kernel/tegra_gpu/gpu_rate                       

Please check via adb as well while running the benchmark and let me know your findings ;)

I didnt flashed the DTB and all is running fine and smooth without any reboots or something else. So my questions is Do I have to Flash it? @BitOBSessiOn said in his kernel thread that it is not necessary on the New mm bootloader. Thanks for your work!

Yes you definitely should, especially when using OC freqs. The throttle tables are now stored within the device tree as well, which means the stock ones won't fit the current clock rates which could cause trouble once the devices tries to throttle down.
The DTB is needed regardless of the bootloader, they just have to match one another (LP bootloader and LP DTB vs MM bootloader and MM DTB)

Nikownzyu

Jan 27, 2016
Ok so tell me this if you have the time or backups have you tested the bench with and with out the kernel and i did what you did and whatta you know its overclocking BUT WHAT THE **** so why are we not seeing a performance increase? Is Aida the only reliable gpu checker lol are we being lied to by the system? If so? I wonder where does aida check its gpu freq i feel like going on an app system file ADVENTURE TO FIGURE THAT OUT i dont know maybe im expecting too much for gpu overclocking.

Might i have some suggestions for kernel additions? Like a simple line of code to automatically put in androids new mm multi window feature its buggy but can help ALOT for some stuff

Maybe research a zip called nitrox
Iteli plug so i dont have to use shields custom performance settings set the device at 2 cores to save power THEN go to device control and tick my freq

Most of of BitO's K features

I mention all these as your still the only 6.0 kernel for this tablet and yea i know you just released this kernel and i still love it but just some ideas you know
And GPU overclocking is still a priority ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright guys, the time has come :D

As you already might have seen around here, I recently got this device and also started working on it.
    Deep down in my heart I am more of a kernel dev than a ROM dev, which is why my first real contribution just had to be a kernel.
    And not just any kernel, a wild one even: It's time to unleash the Werewolf in our tablet ;)

As usual, my main goal is to get the best performance out of the device, especially for gaming.
    I have been working with Tegra SoC's before, so I can probably make use of my previous experiences.

Now, enough with the chit-chat, time to look at the

Features
    • Patched CONFIG_KEYS vulnerability
    • CPU OC (up to 2.5GHz, default is stock 2.2GHz)
    • GPU OC (924MHz)
    • Custom I/O Schedulers (SIO, FIOPS, BFQ, CFQ, Deadline) with FIOPS as default
    • Ported ElementalX governor
    • [WIP] Added S2w and DT2W (experimental, not fully working --> use on your own risk!)
    • Added exFAT support
    • Added fsync toggle
    • KSM turned on by default with deferred timer
    • Added /dev/frandom support
    • Various TCP tweaks (enabled westwood as default TCP congestion control)

Requirements
    • MM bootloader and any MM ROM (should work on all ROMs running the MM kernel natively like CM13 or Bliss)
    • TWRP or any other custom recovery
    • fastboot environment

Installation
    1. Download both the devicetree blob and the kernel zip
    2. Boot into the bootloader and flash the DTB (fastboot flash dtb tegra124-tn8-p1761-1270-a04-e-battery.dtb)
    3. Boot into TWRP and install the zip
    4. Reboot and feel the Werewolf's power ;)

Bugs
    • S2W and DT2W not working when device is in deep sleep and touch may stop working when it was sleeping for too long

Direct download links
    Werewolf_v001_anykernel-2016-01-25_1912.zip.zip
    tegra124-tn8-p1761-1270-a04-e-battery.dtb

Feel free to look at this as a sneak-peek, I am far from done with getting the best out of this device ;)

Please let me know what you think

XDA:DevDB Information
    Werewolf Kernel, Kernel for the Nvidia Shield Tablet

Contributors
    laufersteppenwolf
    Source Code: https://github.com/laufersteppenwolf/android_kernel_nvidia_shieldtablet

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v001
    Stable Release Date: 2016-01-25

Created 2016-01-25
    Last Updated 2016-01-26
    Is this project dead? It hasn't been updated since release almost two months ago.

is this project dead?!

No, it is not. Actually I already had/have a 2nd version running on my device, but real life struck me rather hard and I wasn't that active neither on XDA nor in development in general.

But rest assured that as long as I am using a device as a daily driver, I will not drop support (but may pause it depending on my real-life situation)

Hi!!
    I got same problem, has u fixed it? I want to test this kernel playing fps games (MC4 and MC5)

Hello Mr. Wolf, first of all, I'm sorry if I write something bad, I don't know speak full English.

OK, I flashed the kernel without dtb file, the kernel give me 02:00:00:00:00:00
    And it doesn't let to activate the WiFi ant, it says “activating” in Spanish “activando”, so I want to help to fix it.
    What I have to bring to u from my shield to help u?

Thks!

if the issue still persists after flashing the dtb, please let me know which firmware version you are running, alongside a logcat and dmesg/kmsg of the issue
    Thx to @laufersteppenwolf , you can taste his OC work in BitO-KX kernels.

Elemental x is great.

Kernel auidtor
    Device control
    Kernel tuner
    Etc....

Anyway, thanks again

Alright, so I just did exactly what you described: installed AIDA64 and it really does show 540MHz as max current freq with only AIDA open. Then I went on running sling shot and reading the freq via adb a couple of times during the bench and the freq was hopping between 756 and 924MHz just like it should:
    Code:

Please check via adb as well while running the benchmark and let me know your findings ;)

Yes you definitely should, especially when using OC freqs. The throttle tables are now stored within the device tree as well, which means the stock ones won't fit the current clock rates which could cause trouble once the devices tries to throttle down.
    The DTB is needed regardless of the bootloader, they just have to match one another (LP bootloader and LP DTB vs MM bootloader and MM DTB)