[Kernel MOD] (Auto)brightness corrections

Search This thread

schiphol

Apr 3, 2007
AMS
I'll try it today and let you know :)
According to Supercurio, this is Samsung's color profile deviation, not SAMOLED fault itself.
Anything software broken can be software fixed :)

Any ideas why from the 5 devices I checked only mine has this dark screen/brown colors issue on auto brightness? Apart from one theses phones were all (including mine!!!) running in the same configuration (Doc's 7 w/ hardcore's K12H kernel w/o color fix)

schiphol

Apr 3, 2007
AMS
Any news on this? No kernel developer has really responded, I think I might just try my luck and get my phone replaced by Samsung if no fix is in sight for this.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I've been using manual brightness for the first month when I got the phone and switched for auto-adjust when I didnt care for the battery life that much, it actually works close to perfect on my end id say around 95% of the time. I guess preference here comes into play as a very huge factor but there ARE rare cases that was also in the article that the auto brightness bugs out or panics.

embrion

Sep 14, 2009
Well, this might be personal preferences as well. I'm afraid most ppl (including most of/all Samsung serviceman) won't notice brownish and won't replace it or will replace for the same brownish one. I'm willing to here your success schiphol so I can try by myself.
About development of fix, maybe one of kernel devs is working on it but I haven't heard from him any more and I don't have time to learn more and code this fix unfortunately.

hacksome

Jan 27, 2005
Bangalore
For the time being, I'm using "Screen Filter" app from Market. Just that, the brightness is back to original levels after using some apps like Browser etc.
The Voodoo Brightness Fix 2.1 type of permanent fix will be really good.

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
Well, this might be personal preferences as well. I'm afraid most ppl (including most of/all Samsung serviceman) won't notice brownish and won't replace it or will replace for the same brownish one. I'm willing to here your success schiphol so I can try by myself.

Two possibilities here in Poland, go to service center and:
-> the man behind the desk will just start laughing and tell me I'm a good joker, and say 'this model is like that, its just the way it is' (better option)
-> the man behind the desk will make a serious face and tell me: 'yes, I can see what we can do, we will repair your device, but be aware that repair period is 2-4 weeks' 'ok take it' I say. After 4 weeks -> 'sorry sir, our engineers didnt find any fault in your device, its fully operational.. But they noticed traces of root you made 4 months ago, sorry your warranty is gone now'
(worse option)

Seriously. I know its pessimistic, but I have to just live with it, use screen filter for lowering the brightness (set brightness to ~50% and then try screen filter), colors are fine and screen brighness is.

embrion

Sep 14, 2009
Yeah Xan, I think it would look like you've described.
I've customized one of the themes to avoid this sh*tty color and I'll live with it until kernel fix come out or I buy another phone.

schiphol

Apr 3, 2007
AMS
Hi guys!
Have a look at this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909801 with this we can change the colors ourselves, albeit not per brightness level. At least at thought I would share and see if anybody can find the right color settings that takes out the brown that has been bugging us so much. I have been playing with it for a long time now, but haven't found the ideal settings yet!

embrion

Sep 14, 2009
Even with red color set to min. in Galaxy Tuner, it is still brownish and some blacks are too red

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

this is a topic I want to start in order to help the development of more intelligent brightness control for Galaxy S (probably regional variants of it will benefit as well).

It began with my PM to some of kernel DEVs that I've noticed brownish color instead of black on ONE brightness setting. My idea was to omit that one brightness level.
    Overnight, I already got two responses. One that it should be no problem and one that the link I sent might lead to fixing the problem I mentioned as well (color correction).
    The other, connected to brightness topic, thing I've noticed is that auto control of it is retarded. First, it's too jumpy without any reason (like let's say change of outside brightness) and second it likes to set level that burn the eyeballs. I've never had such problem on my CM Hero.

Here's my original PM:

embrion said:
    Hi,

I'm PMing you as the most popular kernels coders.
    Long story short: SAMOLED screens like to make black or similar colors brownish at low brightness. I've (and not only me) noticed that there's a step just about min. when it starts to be brown and a next step after that it magically stops. The idea is to omit this step at all or just in auto brightness table. I believe It's doable by using those methods.

The original story begins here from the first half of #522 post

Like I've wrote there, this problem exists in all kernels and all color temperature variants of them + stock one.

If you're interested, please respond me. If not, also respond as I'd like to know if I can count on anything.

Thanks

Some links that might help:

[SOLUTION] Fix for minimum screen brightness! [10/13 - adjustable]
    Kernel makers, please add the ability to adjust auto brightness.
    [APP] Different auto-brightness

Gizmodo - Why iPhone 4 and Android Brightness Controls Are Effectively Useless

My random thoughts:

• One option would be fooling the sensor that it is less bright than it is
    • Another, more proper I believe, it to modify some brightness tables to leave extreme brightness levels to extreme outside light situations. This one would also help skipping this "brown" brightness level as like I said, it looks to be only one level
    • Color correction MIGHT fix "brown" problem too, but I'm not sure as COLD and WARM kernel variants didn't changed this brown problem (unless colors are optimized only for some of the levels like I've read at VOODOO site)
    • CM 6 already has such brightness level options in Settings-> CM Settings - > User interface -> Automatic backlight -> Use custom(just checked on my Hero) so probably lot of code can be reused (as I believe there is CM for Galaxy S)

Kernel DEVs, fell free to hijack this thread. It is to help your cooperation (unless each one of you prefer to solve problems on they own :)) Btw. don't be offended if I didn't included you in the DEVs list I've sent my PM. It was late and I PMed only those I've noticed that they kernels I've used. All of you are more than welcomed.
    Other, please don't post "I cannot see any brown", and those one that can see it, please stop posting about info after first 5 people do ;)
    Xan, check out the link I've posted in the first post. He gives sources that might be helpful :)
    And the problem appears only at 2nd step of brightness (counted from zero brightness)