[KERNEL] Modified O Boot Image Kernel for O as Daily Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

rachanta

Jun 28, 2009
After installing the O Preview, with no source code available for the kernel, I was wondering how I could run O as my daily driver with my apps like Sony Music, ES File Explorer (Root) etc, when Chainfire came with SR4 Beta.

Also required in my daily driver is my own custom kernel. Here is a kernel with boot.img from O along with ramdisk and module tweaks:
RACER_O
Kernel version name will show that of O stock boot image, but rest assured that some modifications have been done. Open the kernel zip to explore what is in.

Tweaks that are part of the kernel zip:
ramdisk: init.racer.rc, Bullhead power script, Ghost peper Interactive Gov Profile
default.prop: persist.bt.enableAptXHD=true, ro.opa.eligible.device=true added

Modules packaged for O: (I am testing these modules)
LED
SURROUND LOUDER
APTX - need libaptx.so and libaptxHD.so and may be one or two other files from AOSP BT Stack. As of now O-DP1 doesn't have those. Since the System UI shows the options, one can expect this feature to be activated in future O updates.

Apps packaged for O:
Pixel Launcher
Sony Ericsson Music

Last edited:

milestone2mod

Mar 20, 2012
Is there any way to port this over to the Nexus 6P? Having aptX sounds fantastic (no pun intended), and the ramdisk tweaks could help with the sluggish performance in O.

Last edited:

rachanta

Jun 28, 2009
So this is stock or does it have performance enhancements ? Its not overclocked is it ?

No. Everything that goes into zImage of the kernel is stock. External modules and tunables are all that can be played with now.
Previous builds posted here have too much battery drain during active as well as idle, though they are still not show stoppers.
Here is a more stockish build with stock interactive gov and stock thermal conf tuning to see is there is any improvement on the battery front. Thermal appears to be work in progress. I have not seen any exposed parameter tunables such as /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/temp_threshold

RACER_O_20170325_Stock_I&T

rachanta

Jun 28, 2009
Thanks for the info. I've been having a rough time with DP1. Can't root and having issues booting. Will try next release

That's strange. I hope you are using latest Jolla recovery and Chainfire's Su...SR4. Root works like a charm for me. A pixel launcher and navbar animation are available, even before Charles comes up with his full mod, that is already in the making I think. Overall I have no reason to get back to nougat.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
That's strange. I hope you are using latest Jolla recovery and Chainfire's Su...SR4. Root works like a charm for me. A pixel launcher and navbar animation are available, even before Charles comes up with his full mod, that is already in the making I think. Overall I have no reason to get back to nougat.

Flash the preview O and used SuperSU SR4. I used standard TWRP, I believe 3.0.1. Didn't have any issues when loading TWRP and Preview O work. Just when I tried flashing SR4 via TWRP the thing went into bootloop and would not boot. The only way to force boot the ROM was to flash the stock preview kernel back. Not sure what happened, but could not get root to work flashing the ZIP

codfx

Jun 30, 2012
Maho
Flash the preview O and used SuperSU SR4. I used standard TWRP, I believe 3.0.1. Didn't have any issues when loading TWRP and Preview O work. Just when I tried flashing SR4 via TWRP the thing went into bootloop and would not boot. The only way to force boot the ROM was to flash the stock preview kernel back. Not sure what happened, but could not get root to work flashing the ZIP

Phone will boot normally after two reboots.

amag3308

Dec 20, 2014
Mods and tweaks described are already in your kernel ?

Inviato dal mio KFGIWI utilizzando Tapatalk

rachanta

Jun 28, 2009
I found a test folder with 24th march versions and main folder with 25th kernel versions. Which one should I install? What is RACER_O_20170325_GP.zip?

It has Ghost Pepper interactive governor profile and stock thermal. The other option has stock interactive governor and stock thermal. The test builds are with different thermal-engine-8992.conf options. If you extract the zip you can play around with init.racer.rc and other files to pack different flavours and create your own kernel zip.

Last edited:
Reactions: amag3308

Simonthow1

Dec 10, 2013

were is the navbar animation for android O

amag3308

Dec 20, 2014
Did anyone test if aptx is working?
Flashed racer 25th march version but did not work. I tried with flac and also spotify (of course my bt headset are capable) but logcat shows nothing

Inviato dal mio KFGIWI utilizzando Tapatalk

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
After installing the O Preview, with no source code available for the kernel, I was wondering how I could run O as my daily driver with my apps like Sony Music, ES File Explorer (Root) etc, when Chainfire came with SR4 Beta.

Also required in my daily driver is my own custom kernel. Here is a kernel with boot.img from O along with ramdisk and module tweaks:
RACER_O
Kernel version name will show that of O stock boot image, but rest assured that some modifications have been done. Open the kernel zip to explore what is in.

Mods & Tweaks:
ramdisk: init.racer.rc, Ghost peper Interactive Gov Profile
msm_thermal: thermal-engine-8992.conf stock in use in the kernel for now

Installed, but dont seem to be doing anything: lights.bullhead.so, mixer_paths.xml
Help required: How to make O work with f2fs data and cache, usual fstab.bullhead mod has no effect

Apps packaged for O:
Pixel Launcher
Sony Ericsson Music

The lights.bullhead.so file is for the RED LED when on low battery. The mixer_paths.xml contains the DualMonoV2 LOUD "surround sound".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

RACER_O

Tweaks that are part of the kernel zip:
    ramdisk: init.racer.rc, Bullhead power script, Ghost peper Interactive Gov Profile

Modules packaged for O: (I am testing these modules)
    LED
    SURROUND LOUDER
    APTX - need libaptx.so and libaptxHD.so and may be one or two other files from AOSP BT Stack. As of now O-DP1 doesn't have those. Since the System UI shows the options, one can expect this feature to be activated in future O updates.

Apps packaged for O:
    Pixel Launcher
    Sony Ericsson Music
    Here is a kernel with boot.img from O along with ramdisk and module tweaks:
    RACER_O_20170324
    So this is stock or does it have performance enhancements ? Its not overclocked is it ?

No. Everything that goes into zImage of the kernel is stock. External modules and tunables are all that can be played with now.
    Previous builds posted here have too much battery drain during active as well as idle, though they are still not show stoppers.
    Here is a more stockish build with stock interactive gov and stock thermal conf tuning to see is there is any improvement on the battery front. Thermal appears to be work in progress. I have not seen any exposed parameter tunables such as /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/temp_threshold

RACER_O_20170325_Stock_I&T
    Reserved -1

Reserved for later
    Reserved -2

Reserved for later