Kernel Modules for Xperia 2011 ICS v4.1.B.0.587: fuse.ko,usb-storage,cifs,ntfs,ext4..

Search This thread

zxp

Jul 6, 2012
Information and Modules description

I was in the need to add some missing kernel modules to my Xperia Mini Pro sk17i with v4.1.B.0.587, and I couldn't find modules compiled for that ICS kernel version, so I decided to build them myself.

All modules have been compiled from official sony Xperia v4.1.B.0.587 kernel sources, using Android NDK r5, and they should be fine with any ICS based Xperia 2011 device (with that kernel version).
This is the list of modules, with some interesting programs using them:

• fuse.ko: Cryptonite (used to create encrypted EncFS or Truecrypt volumes, adds support to mount drives so that are visibile to the whole Android system. Note: Cryptonite is not currently able to load the module automatically, you need to load it from Terminal Emulator..se more below)
  • usb-storage.ko, nls_utf8.ko, ntfs.ko (compiled with write support, currently untested): USB OTG Helper (used to mount external USB drives with USB On The Go cables).
  • cifs.ko, slow-work.ko, md4.ko: CifsManager (used to mount network shares)
  • ext4.ko, jbd2.ko: if you wish to use the EXT4 filesystem

Installation Instructions

Attached to this post you will find a ZIP that can be used along with CWM Recovery to install the modules in system.
Download the module, put it inside you SD card, reboot your phone in CWM (which you can install with the Xperia CWM Auto-Installer) and select install zip from sdcard, and browsed to the ZIP. Reboot your phone when install finishes.

Loading Modules

No module is automatically loaded at system startup: this saves your memory and battery (some of those modules are known to drain your battery if always loaded).

To manually load a module you have to open the Android Terminal Emulator and tap:
Code:
su
insmod /system/lib/modules/MODULENAME.ko
where MODULENAME is the name of the module you want to load.
Other useful commands:

Code:
lsmod
to see currently running commands

Code:
rmmod MODULENAME.ko
to unload a module.

If you wish to manually load a module at phone startup you should use init.rd or any other method (?) to run custom scripts at startup.

Load Order
Some modules need to be loaded in a specific order:

• slow-work.ko must be loaded before cisf.ko
  • jbd2.ko must be loaded before ext4.ko

Other Firmware Versions
I've released the same package for other firmware versions, click on the firmware version to go to the specific thread:

Changes

v1 - 2012.10.04
============
- First release

Attachments

• 4.1.B.0.587_modules_built_with_NDK_r5_by_zxp.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 7,290
  • 4.1.B.0.587_modules_built_with_NDK_r5_by_zxp_UNINSTALLER.zip
    158.5 KB · Views: 2,020
Last edited:

zxp

Jul 6, 2012
Terminal emulator says cannot allocate memory.
Oh god, why??

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk 2

Terminal emulator doesn't start? Or is the "insmod" command output telling you that it cannot allocate memory? Either way it seems like your RAM is full and there is not enough space to load the module(s) you want to load.

chepoz

Sep 5, 2011
City of Idiots
Terminal emulator doesn't start? Or is the "insmod" command output telling you that it cannot allocate memory? Either way it seems like your RAM is full and there is not enough space to load the module(s) you want to load.

No, it says like that after I install some modules. Some of them running well, n some says like that.
So maybe my ram not much left to run those modules. Thanx for answering. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk 2

dhavalh

Nov 23, 2012
Works on Sony wt19i

Thank you,,,
I've successfully accessed the usb pendrive using this simple method. It worked for Sandisk Cruzer Blade pendrives.....
But I can not access my transcend jetflash 700 16 GB pendrive...
If there any solution for this....then reply...

zxp

Jul 6, 2012
is the slow-work.ko still needed for ICS? from what I searcher it was needed for froyo (2.2)
It's a while since I compiled those modules and I may recall wrong, but...as far as I can remember it was related to the Linux Kernel version on which our Android OS ROM is based. That is, the Xperia 2011 lineup uses Kernel 2.6 (both on Android 2.3 and 4.0), which requires slow-work to be compiled; if it was based on Linux Kernel v3.x then slow-work.ko wouldn't be needed.

tharu_roxx

Dec 27, 2012
Kurunegala
i have an error

when im going to load modules,this is what's happening

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
a/local/bin:$PATH <
app_137@android:/ $ su
ib/modules/usb-storage.ko <
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/usb-storage.ko' failed (File exists)
/lib/modules/ntfs.ko <
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/ntfs.ko' failed (File exists)
255|app_137@android:/ #

please help me :(

Last edited:
Reactions: alvin_d

zxp

Jul 6, 2012

/lib/modules/ntfs.ko <

It seems like those modules are already loaded in memory, as it happened to RavinduSha.
Try lsmod: if usb-storage.ko and ntfs.ko are listed by lsmod, they are already loaded, and that's why you get those errors.

Reactions: nmdang

tharu_roxx

Dec 27, 2012
Kurunegala
Problem Solved!!! :)

3egute7e.jpg
Yep...these modules work fine!!!! But i couldn't mount usb storage device using the OTG Helper app.so I tried stick mount pro(with above modules,no need to load them) It worked!!!! :D[this happened when I'm using the stock rom & the kernel,but now my kernel supports them by default ,so no worries!! :)]

Current Device : MT11i Xperia Neo V
ROM : Xperia Ultimate HD ™
Build Number : 2.0.3
Kernel : Suave Kernel
Root Status : Rooted
Bootloader : Unlocked
Previous Devices : Samsung Galaxy Y
GT-5360(Sold)

Sent from my MT11i using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Reactions: alvin_d

nmdang

Jan 14, 2012
Hello zxp,
I want to learn to build some modules by myself because I want to try to build some drivers for cameras, scanner, etc... Can you tell me about where you've got the source code to build or the way to build it?

I've downloaded source code of my android on developer.sonymobile.com. When I extracted it I saw the folder structure like "kernel/drivers/usb". Did you build the modules from source code of that folder?

Attachments

• README.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

zack871024

Aug 18, 2012
Burnaby
When i type insmod in the terminal
It said invaild file format can anyone help,please??
Sent from my SK17i using xda premium

Last edited:

zack871024

Aug 18, 2012
Burnaby
I dont know why either:confused:
Anyone help?? Thanks
postimage.org/image/x33tabkc5
Sent from my SK17i using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Information and Modules description

I was in the need to add some missing kernel modules to my Xperia Mini Pro sk17i with v4.1.B.0.587, and I couldn't find modules compiled for that ICS kernel version, so I decided to build them myself.

All modules have been compiled from official sony Xperia v4.1.B.0.587 kernel sources, using Android NDK r5, and they should be fine with any ICS based Xperia 2011 device (with that kernel version).
    This is the list of modules, with some interesting programs using them:

• fuse.ko: Cryptonite (used to create encrypted EncFS or Truecrypt volumes, adds support to mount drives so that are visibile to the whole Android system. Note: Cryptonite is not currently able to load the module automatically, you need to load it from Terminal Emulator..se more below)
    • usb-storage.ko, nls_utf8.ko, ntfs.ko (compiled with write support, currently untested): USB OTG Helper (used to mount external USB drives with USB On The Go cables).
    • cifs.ko, slow-work.ko, md4.ko: CifsManager (used to mount network shares)
    • ext4.ko, jbd2.ko: if you wish to use the EXT4 filesystem

Installation Instructions

Attached to this post you will find a ZIP that can be used along with CWM Recovery to install the modules in system.
    Download the module, put it inside you SD card, reboot your phone in CWM (which you can install with the Xperia CWM Auto-Installer) and select install zip from sdcard, and browsed to the ZIP. Reboot your phone when install finishes.

Loading Modules

No module is automatically loaded at system startup: this saves your memory and battery (some of those modules are known to drain your battery if always loaded).

To manually load a module you have to open the Android Terminal Emulator and tap:
    Code:
    su
    insmod /system/lib/modules/MODULENAME.ko
    where MODULENAME is the name of the module you want to load.
    Other useful commands:

Code:
    lsmod
    to see currently running commands

Code:
    rmmod MODULENAME.ko
    to unload a module.

If you wish to manually load a module at phone startup you should use init.rd or any other method (?) to run custom scripts at startup.

Load Order
    Some modules need to be loaded in a specific order:

• slow-work.ko must be loaded before cisf.ko
    • jbd2.ko must be loaded before ext4.ko

Other Firmware Versions
    I've released the same package for other firmware versions, click on the firmware version to go to the specific thread:

Changes

v1 - 2012.10.04
    ============
    - First release
    i have an error

/lib/modules/ntfs.ko <

fixed!

sorry for disturbing u guys. I figured it. that message appears because the module is running. its my fault that I didn't check whether its running or not.

/lib/modules/ntfs.ko <

It seems like those modules are already loaded in memory, as it happened to RavinduSha.
    Try lsmod: if usb-storage.ko and ntfs.ko are listed by lsmod, they are already loaded, and that's why you get those errors.
    Problem Solved!!! :)

3egute7e.jpg
    Yep...these modules work fine!!!! But i couldn't mount usb storage device using the OTG Helper app.so I tried stick mount pro(with above modules,no need to load them) It worked!!!! :D[this happened when I'm using the stock rom & the kernel,but now my kernel supports them by default ,so no worries!! :)]

Current Device : MT11i Xperia Neo V
    ROM : Xperia Ultimate HD ™
    Build Number : 2.0.3
    Kernel : Suave Kernel
    Root Status : Rooted
    Bootloader : Unlocked
    Previous Devices : Samsung Galaxy Y
    GT-5360(Sold)

Sent from my MT11i using XDA Premium HD app